2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
DrAlan Offline OP
OP Offline
Before asking what might look like a very picky question, let me say that the CA65 is a great instrument (please see my post here )

In the spirit of "I don't want to bother the dealer with this if it is common", do any players of grand feel action DPs notice variations from key to key in the height at which the sensors activate?

On my CA65, there is a difference particuarly between middle C and the next door D so that the "dampers" turn off the C about 1mm (by eye) before the D (i.e. with the C about 1mm lower on the upstroke). The main consequence for playing is that you have to be (a bit) more controlled with repeat playing the C if you don't want to hit the "damper" because there is less room between "play" and "damp" on the C. Some other note pairs are similarly affected.

You have to lift the keys very slowly to test for this (I said it was a picky question!)

If this is part of natural variability in the mechanism ("character" - wooden keys and all that) then fine; my concern is whether or not there is a quality issue on my particular piano & where I'd really value replies from other owners.

Cheers

Alan

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
James ...

;-)

Look what your company has created by making such an excellent instrument with so many ways to adjust things by people like me and others who keep forgetting they did not pay $85,000us for it.

;-)

Just a little early morning humour ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
DrAlan Offline OP
OP Offline
Unfortunately what I'm asking refers to something that would only be adjustable - I believe - by using physical tools (& therefore a qualified technician). If this were adjustable through the menus, my question wouldn't have made it to this forum.

Cheers

Alan

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
That's a little troubling. The distance between the damper-up and first velocity sensor is determined by the physical makeup of the sensor, which is a rubber thing on PCB, and doesn't lend itself to physical adjustment.

On these Kawai's there is a screw on the action that determines how far down you have to push the key in order to move the hammer all the way, but that is the only adjustment I'm aware of. It's super easy to get to and alter, but if your instrument is brand new, it is probably better to take it up with the retailer or Kawai so as not to void the warranty.

DrAlan Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks gvfarns, so I wonder how far out would be considered normal?

I assume all of the sensor assembly is where the hammers are - so as you say the distances between the sensors are pre-set & it is just the key height relative to the sensors that might be out? At rest it looks level with the adjacent ones.

Cheers

Alan

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I don't own one but have not encountered this on other DP's. Maybe it can be adjusted. Perhaps a trip to Kimberskeyboards if they have one in the store to do a comparison? They usually have a few Kawai's in there.

DrAlan Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Spanishbudda. I'm beginning to think I'm just being a bit paranoid. Its a new (substantial) investment and its a bit like the period when you have a new car and it hasn't yet had its first scratch!

Kimber's is where I got the piano from :-). I also have access to my old CL30 at my in-laws so will do some comparisons on that.

Cheers

Alan

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission