2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Originally Posted by Sam S
So the (probably) correct number for Chopin entries is 131 (I moved the "Chopin." performance to "Chopin").

Does that mean he's still getting credit for "Here, There and Everywhere" and "Johnson Rag"? wink

I moved those, and another one that was incorrect - Chopin is down to 128 now.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
*bumpety-bump* Just a few more days to conquer that red dot...

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' on it.

Work has been a pain.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
D
D
Submission made....

...All the grand plans of long and technically brilliant bit of Beethoven fell aside when I realised that despite my playing being better than I expected and probably capable of reaching a suitable performance, the piano is not in it best (a recent bout of super-wet weather has clearly had an effect and tuning has gone unpleasant).

Add to that daughter being very busy preparing for her AMEB grade 3 Violin exam this week (meaning Piano has taken a bit of a backseat compared to normal) and neither of us were happy with what we could do.

So instead we grabbed a duet that was thrown at daughter a couple of weeks ago to play in a concert this last weekend. Its simple, but a bit of fun and our first attempt to record a duet.

Hope you enjoy.

I've posted the MP3 which is AWFUL recording quality - even by my own poor standards, but We did record that performance on the iPad too - so I should upload it to YouTube and add a link for those who like the visuals (and you can chose which microphone is worse - the iPad or the Dell Laptop!)

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by DadAgain
So instead we grabbed a duet that was thrown at daughter a couple of weeks ago to play in a concert this last weekend. Its simple, but a bit of fun and our first attempt to record a duet.

Hope you enjoy.

I've posted the MP3 which is AWFUL recording quality - even by my own poor standards, but We did record that performance on the iPad too - so I should upload it to YouTube and add a link for those who like the visuals (and you can chose which microphone is worse - the iPad or the Dell Laptop!)

a duet!? How fun. And don't worry - so long as your recording quality is at least better than BachMach's (running PW joke), people will listen (sadly people still listen to bachmach, regardless)

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Can someone give me some advice about the technical stuff? I have a recording of a portion of a work in progress that i was thinking to submit. but it was recorded using a very basic digital recorder. I uploaded the file into audacity. And cannot save it as 192 bitrate. I used audacity to change the project rate 128 and that was as good as i could do. I have no idea what I am doing in that regard or if that change even made a difference to the way the file sounds. I think it was originally recorded at a bit rate of 64?

Is it possible to submit something like this? The recording is about 1.5 min long and about 1.5 MB file size.

haha...maybe I won't submit it. it was a whim anyway, and it's not a recording where i'm playing the piece well or even for enjoyable listening, it's just a snapshot of my playing a portion of this piece. a very anti-perfectionistic snipit.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
are you EXPORTING AS MP3? Then 128 is ok. In that case 1.5MB file is fine and Size seems ok for 1.5 min.

Oh, just make sure you listen carefully to the final result file if it sounds ok, before submitting.

Last edited by wouter79; 11/13/12 12:18 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I discovered that I've been playing a wrong note in a chord for at least two weeks - I hate when that happens. My teacher pointed it out last night. That's not the first time that has happened to me. I somehow get a wrong note stuck in my head (or under my fingers) and have to adjust when I finally realize my error. It's always an interior note in a big chord.

So I had to brave the red dot again and re-record. As a result I have dropped like a stone through the recital order and everyone else has moved up! You're welcome...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
J
J
I just got some nice stereo cables in to record a higher quality sound file, but last night I just couldn't play it through! Kept making all sorts of mistakes I never make. Hopefully I can still work that out before submissions are due!

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by wouter79
are you EXPORTING AS MP3? Then 128 is ok. In that case 1.5MB file is fine and Size seems ok for 1.5 min.

Oh, just make sure you listen carefully to the final result file if it sounds ok, before submitting.

Thanks so much wouter! smile Yes I've exported to mp3 format, and it sounds ok enough I suppose. So...maybe I will submit!

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
I discovered that I've been playing a wrong note in a chord for at least two weeks - I hate when that happens. My teacher pointed it out last night. That's not the first time that has happened to me. I somehow get a wrong note stuck in my head (or under my fingers) and have to adjust when I finally realize my error. It's always an interior note in a big chord.

So I had to brave the red dot again and re-record. As a result I have dropped like a stone through the recital order and everyone else has moved up! You're welcome...

Sam

Hey Sam, for all the work you do, I vote for you to go ahead and manipulate the software and take whatever spot you want.

I feel for you. If it was non-classical and the note otherwise still fit with the chord, I'd leave it. But with classical (as is yours) yep, I'm afraid I would be re-recording too ... as I have also been tempted to do, each time I take a listen to what I posted. I don't listen to it anymore ...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I'm in.

It's good to see everyone.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J

Sam

You're still ahead of me smile

Hope to record today. If not today, it ain't going to happen. . .

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Sam,

Nobody probably would have noticed that single inner note? However, is the overall sound and energy better than the previous recording? I usually don't worry too much about a few small mistake... There's a pretty obvious 'typo' somewhere halfway my recording ;-)

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I came in at #44. I've been fighting the beginning of a cold and sore throat and felt my energy sapping and my throat getting scratchier by the minute, so it was now or never smile. Not perfect but better than I'd had a right to expect given how crappy I was starting to feel.sick

Last edited by Starr Keys; 11/13/12 06:03 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
Sam,

Nobody probably would have noticed that single inner note? However, is the overall sound and energy better than the previous recording? I usually don't worry too much about a few small mistake... There's a pretty obvious 'typo' somewhere halfway my recording ;-)

The first recording was better, of course - yeah, that's the ticket, it was way better. smile

There are different kinds of mistakes though. Knowing the right note and accidentally playing the wrong note is forgivable. But miss-reading the music and playing a d# instead of a c# is a worse error and pretty embarrassing.

It's worrisome how often this happens. I know I'm getting old. Maybe I need new glasses smile

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Eek! I did it. I submitted a recording of just the first and part of the last page of winter wind. it's rough and short and slow compared to how it is supposed to be played, but oh well. It was fun. smile

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'm in.

Cathy

Cathy
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Sam

Note to recital listeners... Just because someone is in as number 1 or 11 does not mean that is the order they need to be listened to. I for one will be listening first to the two people that worked the hardest to make these recitals happen... Monica and Sam. Regardless of whatever number they finally end up entering. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Submitted smile

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission