2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
So, this year my family asked me what I wanted for Christmas. In general, I try to be a pretty content person. There's really nothing big I want, and I try to keep it that way. I mean, except for a nice Bosendorfer or Steinway....
But, this year, I went on Amazon and made a list of about 15 score collections I don't own yet and a few books on piano repertoire, playing, and practice, along with a couple biographies.
I just think it's funny.
I remember not to many years ago when I wanted a Playstation 3, or a new surfboard, or something like that. Now piano is my life now. I'm committed to piano in a new way where most of the rest of my future is pinned on succeeding in some way at my dreams on a piano, so I'm in. [and it's lessons like the lesson I had earlier today that convince me I CAN do it.] And this is reflected in my desires now.

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Right there with you. Not too long ago I was asking for game systems and other pointless garbage. Now all I want are Henles. Lol!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have told my family if they are unsure what to get me for christmas: LE CREUSET LE CREUSET LE CREUSET!

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by debrucey
I have told my family if they are unsure what to get me for christmas: LE CREUSET LE CREUSET LE CREUSET!

Trying out for next season's "Iron Chef"? laugh

I always tell my family "a winning lottery ticket."

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I hate Iron Chef. Or any of those reality shows that are more about the personalities than the food.

I like Good Eats laugh. Best out of American food programmes anyway.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Yep, scores are the main thing on my list these days too. In addition to allowing family members a way to buy me (not terribly expensive) things that I really value and will use, it also saves me money throughout the year, because there are only so many standard repertoire pieces that a family member can get with reasonable effort, so I only allow myself to buy scores of really obscure things.

And then there's the gifting - I give family members recordings of myself playing, and they really seem to enjoy it. So the gift-giving circle completes itself smile

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkH
[...]
And then there's the gifting - I give family members recordings of myself playing, and they really seem to enjoy it. So the gift-giving circle completes itself smile

Yes. Let's not forget it's also about giving, "as we grow up," not just wanting/getting!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I unplugged the Christmas machine 4 years ago. I tell folks to donate to charity for me, and any gift that is given to me will be given away*, and I do not purchase gifts for others at this time.

I do give gifts other times of the year, but the liberation from the craziness around Christmas is quite nice.

I still enjoy the music and the decorations (of others)

*If a Gibson J45 or Baldwin SF10 were to show up as a gift, I would have to reconsider. :-)

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by MarkH

I'm doing the same thing for most of my family. My mom and dad are getting an album of hymn arrangements on piano, and I might record some of my own compositions for others. I don't like the idea of money for gifts, doing something that requires significant time investment is much more meaningful to me. Giving is of course a part of the season!

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
A
A
LOL when i saw the title of this thread, my initial thought was also "Bosendorfer!" :p

Currently working on: Bach Partita 4, English Suite 2, Toccata d-minor, Chopin-op 10/1, Schubert Impromptus
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by woodog
I unplugged the Christmas machine 4 years ago. I tell folks to donate to charity for me, and any gift that is given to me will be given away*, and I do not purchase gifts for others at this time.

I do give gifts other times of the year, but the liberation from the craziness around Christmas is quite nice.

I still enjoy the music and the decorations (of others)

*If a Gibson J45 or Baldwin SF10 were to show up as a gift, I would have to reconsider. :-)

I did something like that years ago, and what a relief!! No longer do I have to pretend to like stuff that is well-meaning but just totally wrong. And then there's re-gifting...ick.

And no longer do I have to drive myself crazy in a consumerist frenzy and still manage to give something the recipient will probably secretly be trying to figure out how to get rid of the minute they set eyes on it.

I never did get into the directive thing, where I told people very precisely what to get for me. Somehow, ordering up your gift seems counter to the concept, but I know it works for many.

I still do one solitary gift exchange, because it was the only one I actually thoroughly enjoyed year after year. Both sides always follow the same format - a sack or basket of gourmet goodies, amusing edible oddments, and wine. It's fun to put together, and since it's all consumables, there's no thought of having to later put on any show of enjoying the gift - after all, the idea is that it is supposed to disappear. Yay!! And how else would I have found out about the unique charm of shagbark hickory syrup, a jug of which was in my gift last year?

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission