Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1986060 - 11/13/12 09:28 AM I'm Moving! When should I tell my students?
toejamfutbol Offline

Loc: MI
My husband and I are moving out of state next August (9 months). I am planning on finishing up teaching when school gets out, in early June. When should I tell my students? I was thinking of telling them at the beginning of my next session, which starts February 1. Too late? Too early? Lord knows I'll be able to keep my mouth shut between now and then...I'm pretty anxious to spill the beans but I want to be courteous, timely and professional about it.
"Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed, and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured and far away." -Thoreau

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1986067 - 11/13/12 09:44 AM Re: I'm Moving! When should I tell my students? [Re: toejamfutbol]
toejamfutbol Offline

Also, I was thinking of maybe announcing it at our upcoming Winter Recital on December 15...but I think that would be too dramatic and not very tactful. I guess a part of me wants my students to know that this will be my last Christmas concert with them and it feels somewhat wrong to keep that a secret.
"Why should we be in such desperate haste to succeed, and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured and far away." -Thoreau

#1986083 - 11/13/12 10:36 AM Re: I'm Moving! When should I tell my students? [Re: toejamfutbol]
MaggieGirl Offline

I think if you say anything you will lose students.

I think piano recitals are about the students and an announcement like that at a recital will take away from their performance by putting the focus on you.

#1986106 - 11/13/12 11:18 AM Re: I'm Moving! When should I tell my students? [Re: toejamfutbol]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't mention this until sometime in the new year. There's no clear right answer, but don't get all your students in a quandary now. February 1 sounds fine. Or later.

For heaven's sake, keep quiet at the Winter Recital: the reasons are obvious, as you stated and Maggie confirmed.

#1986108 - 11/13/12 11:23 AM Re: I'm Moving! When should I tell my students? [Re: toejamfutbol]
toejamfutbol Offline

I'm not actually going to say anything at the recital, I was just thinking out loud. My students are like family so it's going to be really hard for me to say goodbye and I want it to be special. I just thought that if I had a special relationship with my piano teacher and it was going to be my last Christmas recital with her, I would want to know. But I'll keep quiet, for heaven's sake...

#1986122 - 11/13/12 11:45 AM Re: I'm Moving! When should I tell my students? [Re: toejamfutbol]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
toejamfutbol,

The most termination notice I have asked for is 1 month. So I think it would be reasonable to give parents a month notice. I teach year round so it would mean notice in July. But if you do not teach June and July, you may want to give notice in May.

If you ask for a 3 month termination notice, then I'd suggest giving a 3 month notice.

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1986204 - 11/13/12 02:08 PM Re: I'm Moving! When should I tell my students? [Re: toejamfutbol]
ezpiano.org Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
I would say minimum one month before you move, maximum two months before you move.
Also, if possible, you can start interview a new teacher who can take over all of your students. Parents will appreciate if they know the "whole studio of yours" is taken over by someone who has the same philosophy of teaching of you, they are most likely to stay with new teacher and continue their musical journey together. This will make smooth transition for students and parents too.
If you are in charge of interviewing new teacher, you can also pass on students' behavior issue to watch out or other important notes about teaching a particular student. In this case, students won't feel that they are being abandoned, instead just changing to a new teacher with same teaching style as the old one.
Good luck.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#1986313 - 11/13/12 07:09 PM Re: I'm Moving! When should I tell my students? [Re: toejamfutbol]
kayvee Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara
Before I left for university, I let the parents of my students know I was going to be leaving about 2.5 months before.

I actually told them I was going to stop teaching in May (beginning of June, really, right after our recital), though I was around until August. I ended up continuing to teach until the week before I moved. You'd be surprised how many will continue to stay with you, if they like you as a teacher. They kept asking for me to stay as long as I could; a few (a majority, actually) offered to pay me extra.

I did what ezpiano suggested as well: provided a list of teachers (3) who I had personally spoke to about their teaching style, etc, and told I would suggest them as a new teacher.

Personally, if you leave it till the month before, I'd be pissed (as a parent). It's hard finding a good piano teacher. Really hard. And I'd like to know at least two months in advance, so I can start thinking about finding teachers with some buffer time, rather than having a gap between lessons if you can't find a new teacher.

Let's hope that changes. Taught piano for almost two years and currently working on:
"Going back to the basics..."

#1986319 - 11/13/12 07:17 PM Re: I'm Moving! When should I tell my students? [Re: kayvee]
toejamfutbol Offline

kayvee, that was really helpful, thanks! I definitely think I'm going to send a notice letter along with the invoice for the session that starts February 1. That will give everyone enough of a heads up so that they can find another teacher. In the meantime I'm going to try to find a few other teachers to suggest to them.

Sounds like my situation is pretty similar to yours- we won't be leaving til August but I'm going to quit teaching at the beginning of June, right before the spring recital. I don't think I'll keep teaching after that even if they ask me to, I'll just be too busy getting ready for the move. (I have two jobs so I'll try to pick up extra hours at my other job)

#1986346 - 11/13/12 08:40 PM Re: I'm Moving! When should I tell my students? [Re: toejamfutbol]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I think a notice letter in Feb. sounds good, and as a student, I know I would be grateful for help finding another suitable teacher.

#1986366 - 11/13/12 09:51 PM Re: I'm Moving! When should I tell my students? [Re: toejamfutbol]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I wouldn't try to find one teacher to take over the studio. There is no assurance that one teacher would be a good fit for all of your students. I might check with some colleagues to see who has openings. If you have any "special" students, you might want to prepare the way for them and the potential teacher.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (Adam Coleman, accordeur, ando, 36251, 46 invisible), 1429 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74232 Members
42 Forums
153556 Topics
2250503 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Supporting young student
by Cardinal201
3 minutes 32 seconds ago
The Search
by mlpiano88
39 minutes 45 seconds ago
Polyphony with Polyphonist - Installment 1
by Polyphonist
Today at 06:51 PM
Help dating old Mcphail Upright Piano
by joe513
Today at 06:39 PM
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
Today at 04:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission