Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1986210 - 11/13/12 02:32 PM Solo Piano Composition [Solitude]
Bane Offline

Loc: USA
Hey everybody,

I have a new composition that I'd like for you guys to check out. (More info on Soundcloud.)

http://soundcloud.com/btrailblazer/solitude

Constructive criticism on sound quality/composition structure is more than welcome as always. Thanks for listening!

Blake

Cable-Nelson upright piano, Casio WK-200, Mackie MR5MK2 monitors, Cubase Artist 7, Steinberg's The Grand 3, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, i5-3230M 2.6 gHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD (5400RPM)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1986373 - 11/13/12 10:26 PM Re: Solo Piano Composition [Solitude] [Re: Bane]
BKr Offline

Nice composition. Congratulations.

I've attended many, many practice sessions given by the master classical piano instructors from around the world. They all have a common saying which is "You students know how to play the piano. I'm going to teach you how to play music." And they do. They will take phrases, bars, even single notes sometimes and go over and over the expression of this music. Fast or slower tempos, accent notes, forte, etc. The point being is that music comes alive when you add all of the above to it. When writing my latest classical work I played it back on the computer and my wife could not believe it was the same piece that I play on the piano mainly because the computer is just playing notes. When I play it on the piano it is played with expression and feeling.

Now, with this as an introduction your piece to me is a good starting point. However, when you listen to your recording it can get repetitious and monotonous. The volume is pretty much the same throughout the piece which takes away from the beauty of the composition. The notes in the right hand appear to be all quarter notes or all eight notes.....the same and without any variation in tempo or volume. There was one point where the right hand did break away from the rest of the format which was good and refreshing.

What I am getting at is you should go back and turn this composition into a work of "music". Make it exciting, accent various places, put a pause or slow down the pace to add beauty to the work. As it stands it reminds me of a similar sound that became very popular about 25 years ago (forget the composer's name). For the casual listener it was acceptable but coming from the classical side it was far from enjoyable as it was too mechanical and too predictable throughout the piece. With great music you always hear something new every time you listen to it. You have a good base composition. Now turn it into music. Good luck.........Bob

Edited by BKr (11/13/12 10:28 PM)

#1986537 - 11/14/12 08:22 AM Re: Solo Piano Composition [Solitude] [Re: Bane]
evory Offline

I think the main thing that stands out here is that while I can tell you've tried to make it complex both harmonically and rhythmically, the accompaniment is usually very simple (either repeated chords or a 1-5-1 broken chord), which doesn't provide very much variation. That being said I like the feel created at the start of the piece, but I feel you don't manage to carry it all the way through in one particular direction, and it kind of breaks up after the 1:00 mark (and I personally don't think the C# major chord there fits very much with the overall mood). I'm not sure if you'll agree, but not every piece needs a climax, especially with a title like "Solitude", and I'd have preferred it if the middle were a little closer in mood/style to the beginning/end. Nevertheless, I enjoyed listening to it, thanks for sharing!

#1986554 - 11/14/12 08:55 AM Re: Solo Piano Composition [Solitude] [Re: Bane]
Bane Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks for your thoughts guys. They're more profound than that on other forums, and giving me alot to think about.

Blake

Cable-Nelson upright piano, Casio WK-200, Mackie MR5MK2 monitors, Cubase Artist 7, Steinberg's The Grand 3, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, i5-3230M 2.6 gHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD (5400RPM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
79 registered (casinitaly, Allard, beet31425, Ben_NZ, 22 invisible), 910 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76027 Members
42 Forums
157201 Topics
2308793 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Repeated note legato
by noobpianist90
Today at 02:16 AM
"Y.Becker" # 6839 (pin)
by Maximillyan
Today at 01:54 AM
Why are semi-concert grands so expensive?
by ColinDS
Today at 12:07 AM
AMEB Grades
by Patonpiano
Yesterday at 11:22 PM
Hearing loss
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission