Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1986213 - 11/13/12 02:37 PM Stopping by again to say hi and bye
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
Hi folks,

Well it's been awhile since I've been here. I wish I could stay, but that's no longer in the cards for me. Sadly, my piano and music is longer part of my life. If anyone wants a nice Vogel 177T in excellent condition, they're welcome to it. I haven't thought about a price yet, or anything on that end in detail.

The reason for this is my neurological problems have progressed very badly and I've lost the coordination in my hands. I did quite well for nearly 7 years, even went back to school for music and piano. That was the best time of my life and surely wish I could go back. I thought it was bad then, try this now!

In February 2012 I managed to have a small stroke that affected my left hand. This was due to a medication side-effect. I have no complaints about my doctor. I happen to be one of those people that finds side-effects with every medication I take. This incident left my hand cold and slow. Today things are a bit better, but the spasm and cramps are horrible. This incident has added insult to injury on everything else that was going on at the same time.

At this point I can't seem to coordinate the hands to play consistently every day. I'm lucky to get in 15 minutes on most days. An hour or two is a bonus, but those days now are far and few between. In the past 6-8 hours was the norm with 1-2 hours being normal when working full time. People tell me that I should "just enjoy the piano", well that's hard to do when I play like a rank beginner. Heck I can't even play hands together most of the time. The left hand stops completely now while my right hand treks along like it should.

So anyway, this is a goodbye message. If anyone is interested in a used 5'10" Vogel grand in excellent, please contact me.

John

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1986219 - 11/13/12 03:15 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
John,
I'm so sorry to hear of your difficulties and hope that things improve. Maybe one should never say "never" ? even a short time of playing might bring you some enjoyment... But of course you need to do what feels right for you. I hope you'll say hello again from time to time as and maybe even have some better news... take care.

Sophia

#1986229 - 11/13/12 03:37 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Man, this is just too sad. frown

So sorry about your situation. Wish you well.

#1986253 - 11/13/12 04:10 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
John, I'm so sorry. I really enjoyed your harpsichord recordings awhile back. So you've already put a lot in to other people's lives. Thank you for that.

Hope you have lots of support on your journey. You can always post again here at PW to get a little upper when you need it.

Take care,

Cathy

#1986263 - 11/13/12 04:39 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I am very sorry to hear that. frown I wouldn't sell the piano yet though. And even 10 minutes now and then might make you happy. Good luck with your recovery!

Music is my best friend.

#1986264 - 11/13/12 04:39 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hi John,

I understand some of your pain. I'm a "has been" singer, a "used-to-be pretty good" singer, and I'm still a "wannabe singer" more than anything else in the world--but it's gone. Oh, I can still warble a bit, and be impressive for about five minutes or so. And then the vibrato gets out of control, and like you with your left hand, I'm quickly reminded--it's gone.

Over the years, I realized that once I had bonded to singing in my teens, I couldn't do without music in my life. I had to find another way. Luckily, I had enough piano background to build upon it in later life, and so I became a fairly decent pianist who used to be a pretty good singer. The keyboard nearly filled the void, although I'd still rather be a singer. And so I'm at peace with that, and so I understand--it's impossible to "just enjoy the piano," as your well-meaning friends suggest.

I don't have the answer for you, and don't know what might replace the keyboard for you. But maybe you should hold off on selling your piano for awhile, and maybe hold off on saying good-bye to Piano World too. Give it some time. If you're like me, music is surging through your veins, and it won't let go of you, even if you let go of it. You'll find a way to stay involved, I'm sure.

Very best wishes
Tomasino

Edited by tomasino (11/13/12 05:21 PM)
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#1986268 - 11/13/12 04:44 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
John :

I do remember a time when you were an active and eager participant in the Pianist Corner, before your physical problems really began to impede the enjoyment you gleaned from your music. Even later, I admired your stoicism and your efforts to overcome your difficulties or to adapt to them.

I am greatly saddened to read that it has come to this. I am quite sure that we can appreciate what a blow this must be, although we can't fully know all that you must be going through and how it must hurt, physically, emotionally and artistically.

I wish you well.

Regards,

#1986274 - 11/13/12 05:17 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
John, I always read your posts and appreciated your contribution here and am very sad to hear about the turn things have taken for you. I've sometimes thought about what I would do if I could no longer play, and I believe and hope I could still find joy in music without playing, so I do hope you can too, and that music can still be a part of your life. If you feel you can, I hope you'll return from time to time.
My very best wishes.

#1986275 - 11/13/12 05:22 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: currawong]
RealPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: NYC
So sorry for your circumstance, John. That's very sad. We'll miss you; don't forget about us completely.

www.josephkubera.com

#1986278 - 11/13/12 05:32 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Oh, John. I am so sorry to hear this. Please stop in now and then and let us know how you are doing.

Deborah

#1986282 - 11/13/12 05:54 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
John,

I fully understand your reluctance to see your abilities deteriorate. I hope you find your piano an excellent new home. But consider this: we can still benefit from your insights into piano playing and music in general, and you can still benefit from the discussion and camaraderie of fellow music lovers here. Hang around.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1986303 - 11/13/12 06:57 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

John, I am so sorry to hear about this turn your health has taken. If you should feel the inclination at any time, do come back and let us know how you are doing, although I can understand that you might not want to.

#1986334 - 11/13/12 07:59 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
John, I don't think we communicated with each other but I wish you all the very best.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1986344 - 11/13/12 08:28 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
yhc Offline

Loc: NYC, NY
Very Sorry to hear about this. Wish you all the best of luck and don't lose your music.

#1986355 - 11/13/12 09:10 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: yhc]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
I echo the sentiments of the folks above. I loved reading your posts, and I will miss you. All my best...

#1986368 - 11/13/12 09:53 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
P I A N O piano Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, Michigan
I am wishing you the best in your situation- so sad to hear of this news. I immediately recognized your name, remembered many of your posts, too. Sending thoughts of strength and please keep music in your heart...

#1986424 - 11/14/12 12:48 AM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
John, I sent you a PM. If it truly is goodbye (for now), then take care my friend. You will be missed. Please at least read my message before you take your leave. I, for one, would hate to see you go, but I understand well the frustration of not being able to sit in front of the keys in the way you want (if for completely different reasons), and the added frustration of discussing the very thing you love and can't have with everyone here in the forums. It was the reason I took a few years off myself.

No matter what your eventual decision, I wish you the best. smile

#1986697 - 11/14/12 04:31 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I am saddened by this news. You were a highly knowledgeable member here and you always commented constructively and insightfully. To have to stop playing the piano would be an immeasurable grief but you can still listen, and with all the wonderful electronic gear and software around, perhaps you could embrace arrangement and composition. Maybe that wouldn't suit you, and suggestions are easily made outside the situation, but to give up the whole of music seems too terrible to contemplate.

#1986815 - 11/14/12 09:45 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
BethH Offline

Loc: WI
I am very sorry. At times I remind myself, as I am getting older, that I need to savor the time I have for piano. There are no guarantees for anyone what tomorrow, next week, or next year will bring into our lives.

Leon Fleischer came out with an autobiography a year or 2 ago. Nine Lives?? I can't remember the title. I imagine you already know, that he was extremely good and lost the use of his right hand for playing in his 30's. He definitely had some ups and downs in his life but went on to do many different things musically.

Maybe you wrote some right-handed music?

My husband, a good amateur musician, has had physical issues as well. He is losing his eyesight (macular degeneration), has pretty bad tinnitus, and has significant whole body numbness. He really can't play an instrument at a level that he would like to, either. In addition, his fingers just don't seem to work very well in his right hand anymore. So, it has been tough for him as well.

Thank you for letting us know.

#1986859 - 11/14/12 10:27 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
it's just too sad to hear this, John. had always enjoyed reading your posts, but not this.

i haven't played piano for a while due to job changes, but you made me miss playing it now...

anyway, hope you get well and hang in there!

#1986877 - 11/14/12 10:40 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
John, I am so sorry to hear of your latest health problems. It just sucks all the way around. I know there are people who can say that it is all part of a plan and that people can gain so much through facing adversity blah blah blah, but I don't buy it. Sometimes life is JUST FRICKIN UNFAIR and AWFUL THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE FOR NO REASON. mad And I think this is one of those reasons.

I can understand your desire to leave piano at this point. Use the time to develop a passion and hobby that your mind can utilize even if your body betrays you. I will miss your posts but am happy to have benefited from your insight as much as I did.

Take care.

#1986941 - 11/15/12 02:37 AM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Hi John,

Always good to hear from you ... but one of the things you taught us was always to look forward as we can do nothing with what has past.

Don’t sell your Vogel ... that like dropping anchor in the dead zone.

Your hearing, I’m sure is as acute as ever ... surely a recording of Ashkenazy playing a Chopin Nocturne still stirs the blood ... all is not lost.

Hang in there ... we need you.

Kindest regards, btb

#1986984 - 11/15/12 08:08 AM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
Hi John, while sad enough, but don't think You have something special!

We all will cease playing our pianos from a given time. You perhaps - and very probably myself as the next one for some similar health problems - some earlier as the others.

It was no different for the great giants (I mean Beethoven & Co.) - they had to take on the biggest losses among all of us.

You are not alone, we all are not alone! Stay with music... Attila

#1987123 - 11/15/12 02:34 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: Temperament]
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

Condolences for your huge loss(
Oscar Peterson lost his left hand abilities after a stroke and played/performed with his RH only for years..Jimmy Amadie, another fine jazz pianist, could only play for 5 min/day due to horrible tendonitis, and recorded a solo CD over the period of a couple of years..

food for thought perhaps..

Dave Frank

#1987164 - 11/15/12 04:54 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
Very sorry to hear of your situation. Keep up your spirits--you never know. I hope things get better. Our prayers are with you.

#1987178 - 11/15/12 05:09 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
BB Player Offline

Loc: Not in Texas
John,

Although I realize it probably wasn't your intent, I found a lot to inspire me in your parting words. On those days when I am looking on practice as a chore I'll stop and appreciate it for what it is: a gift.

All the best to you and I'll join others in hoping that you resurface here from time to time. Your absence will be felt by all.

#1987180 - 11/15/12 05:16 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: BB Player]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: BB Player
Although I realize it probably wasn't your intent, I found a lot to inspire me in your parting words. On those days when I am looking on practice as a chore I'll stop and appreciate it for what it is: a gift.
thumb

#1987190 - 11/15/12 05:35 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Maybe this will encourage you not to give up or sell your piano:

thumb

Music is my best friend.

#1987198 - 11/15/12 05:53 PM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: currawong]
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
Originally Posted By: currawong
Originally Posted By: BB Player
thumb

Yes, this.

Best wishes in whatever you do.

Check out my blog !

#1987685 - 11/17/12 01:25 AM Re: Stopping by again to say hi and bye [Re: John Citron]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Good luck in whatever you do next, and remember to let the music live on in your heart. Stay strong.. smile

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (36251, alex-kid, angga888, 45 invisible), 1551 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153507 Topics
2249556 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chopin Op28 No 20
by Arizona Sage
3 minutes 47 seconds ago
Beginner adult book to read AWAY from the piano?
by What?
Today at 07:46 PM
Sharing custom patches for Ravenscroft?
by Tonio
Today at 07:40 PM
Mozart K310 fingering
by Morodiene
Today at 07:11 PM
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
Today at 05:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission