Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1985940 - 11/12/12 11:46 PM Beginners first keyboard
CLarge Offline

Hello all,

First off a very big thank you for all the contributions and useful information shared on this forum. I've been lurking for a couple months and have learned soooo much from all of you.

A little background is in order here. I've been looking at learning the piano for several years but life has gotten in the way. Just recently I decided it was time to move forward and finally learn piano. While I have some music background from years in high school, it has been quite a while. :-)

Now we are here and thanks to the great information on this forum I've gone out and tested a bunch of keyboards from Yamaha, Kawai, Nord, Casio and Roland. My initial goal was to find a keyboard at the $1000 or less benchmark but after trying out many keyboards it was clear the options at this level just didn't fit the bill. I found either the keyboard action didn't fit the bill or the piano sound was not great.

Based on these findings the field was opened and after a bunch more testing it was clear that keyboards at the $2000 mark would provide a much better experience. The field was narrowed down to the Kawai ES7 and the Roland FP7F. Many may ask why I don't have a furniture style listed here, the main reason is portability. While the keyboard will likely stay at home, it may move between floors of our townhouse so a slab with built in speakers fits our needs better.

At this point I've gone back to both dealers and tried and retried the Roland and Kawai keyboards several times and have finally decided that the Roland feels more "natural" to me. Note, no intentional word play on Super Natural piano. The Kawai key action feels a little heavier to me and the piano sound was certainly different. Price of these two keyboards is pretty similar here so it really comes down to the feel and sound. Have to admit though the the limited availability of Kawai here has played in to the decision as I can get very fast service from Roland locally where as Kawai service might be an issue.

My hope is that the Roland FP7F will be an instrument that will last for a number of years and will let me grow as I develop some level of piano skill. We don't have the piano yet but expect it will be purchased within the next couple weeks.

Thanks again for all of the useful information provided on this site including a special mention to Rimmer for some great Roland info.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#1985951 - 11/13/12 12:19 AM Re: Beginners first keyboard [Re: CLarge]
RafaPolit Offline

Loc: Quito, Ecuador
Welcome to the forum CLarge! and congrats on your decision.

I'm sure you won't regret it one bit! I have been playing piano on and off since I was 5 (now 35!) and I am a trained classical piano player... The FP-7F is the first DP I have been able to fully enjoy while playing classical music and feel I am siting in front of an actual grand piano. I can completely rely on both the action and sound to produce a great piano playing experience! I can honestly say that its action is better than my entry-level acoustic vertical piano.

Sound is also fantastic, and should you wish at any point to expand on it, the FP-7F is a fantastic controller for software digital pianos.

As you mentioned, for in-house portability (for instance from the upper floor rooms to a living room during a party), it is a great option as you are sure to get another pair of hands to carry it, which is fairly easy between two people. The built in speakers are not bad at all (although perhaps you may out grow them at which point there are also moderately inexpensive add-ons that will make it sound even better).

Congrats again! And be sure to share your thoughts and opinions once you have it with you. Best regards,
Rafa.

Edited by RafaPolit (11/13/12 12:21 AM)

#1986406 - 11/13/12 11:55 PM Re: Beginners first keyboard [Re: RafaPolit]
CLarge Offline

Thanks RafaPolit,

It is always nice to hear from those that currently own these dp's as it provides another perspective and in this case helps reinforce the decision. Have to say though that I never realized how personal the decision process was going to be until I started reading the forums and then tried several dp's.

Really looking forward to starting this journey!

Cheers.

#1986466 - 11/14/12 02:53 AM Re: Beginners first keyboard [Re: CLarge]
RafaPolit Offline

Loc: Quito, Ecuador
I agree! And it is nice to confirm one's hands and ears actually follow lead to other's smile . I started my 'hunt' looking for a Kurzweil and never even considered another brand. Lacking local options, I found (while looking for other DPs) which was the only FP-7F in my city, tried it after several other models in the shop and instantly felt it was something different (and better!) than everything I had tried before.

I came here looking for more info on it and found that it was well reviewed and loved, and finally ended up 'switching' brands to it. So, you are right, it is very personal: feel-wise, sound-wise.

Its a nice process indeed! The great thing is that the fun is not over once you are decided, not by a long shot! smile

Best regards,
Rafa.

Edited by RafaPolit (11/14/12 02:53 AM)

#1987036 - 11/15/12 10:53 AM Re: Beginners first keyboard [Re: CLarge]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Congrats on your decision CLarge! Let us know when you get your Roland home and what you think of it! smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Coolest Back Action I have Seen
by Steve Jackson
10/24/14 11:55 AM
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
10/24/14 10:36 AM
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
10/24/14 09:55 AM
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
10/24/14 09:05 AM
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
10/24/14 06:34 AM
Who's Online
150 registered (ajames, ando, Almaviva, Alexander Borro, 45 invisible), 1566 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76640 Members
42 Forums
158470 Topics
2327192 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission