2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Hi folks,

Well it's been awhile since I've been here. I wish I could stay, but that's no longer in the cards for me. Sadly, my piano and music is longer part of my life. If anyone wants a nice Vogel 177T in excellent condition, they're welcome to it. I haven't thought about a price yet, or anything on that end in detail.

The reason for this is my neurological problems have progressed very badly and I've lost the coordination in my hands. I did quite well for nearly 7 years, even went back to school for music and piano. That was the best time of my life and surely wish I could go back. I thought it was bad then, try this now!

In February 2012 I managed to have a small stroke that affected my left hand. This was due to a medication side-effect. I have no complaints about my doctor. I happen to be one of those people that finds side-effects with every medication I take. This incident left my hand cold and slow. Today things are a bit better, but the spasm and cramps are horrible. This incident has added insult to injury on everything else that was going on at the same time.

At this point I can't seem to coordinate the hands to play consistently every day. I'm lucky to get in 15 minutes on most days. An hour or two is a bonus, but those days now are far and few between. In the past 6-8 hours was the norm with 1-2 hours being normal when working full time. People tell me that I should "just enjoy the piano", well that's hard to do when I play like a rank beginner. Heck I can't even play hands together most of the time. The left hand stops completely now while my right hand treks along like it should.

So anyway, this is a goodbye message. If anyone is interested in a used 5'10" Vogel grand in excellent, please contact me.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
John,
I'm so sorry to hear of your difficulties and hope that things improve. Maybe one should never say "never" ? even a short time of playing might bring you some enjoyment... But of course you need to do what feels right for you. I hope you'll say hello again from time to time as and maybe even have some better news... take care.

Sophia

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Man, this is just too sad. frown

So sorry about your situation. Wish you well.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
John, I'm so sorry. I really enjoyed your harpsichord recordings awhile back. So you've already put a lot in to other people's lives. Thank you for that.

Hope you have lots of support on your journey. You can always post again here at PW to get a little upper when you need it.

Take care,

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am very sorry to hear that. frown I wouldn't sell the piano yet though. And even 10 minutes now and then might make you happy. Good luck with your recovery!

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi John,

I understand some of your pain. I'm a "has been" singer, a "used-to-be pretty good" singer, and I'm still a "wannabe singer" more than anything else in the world--but it's gone. Oh, I can still warble a bit, and be impressive for about five minutes or so. And then the vibrato gets out of control, and like you with your left hand, I'm quickly reminded--it's gone.

Over the years, I realized that once I had bonded to singing in my teens, I couldn't do without music in my life. I had to find another way. Luckily, I had enough piano background to build upon it in later life, and so I became a fairly decent pianist who used to be a pretty good singer. The keyboard nearly filled the void, although I'd still rather be a singer. And so I'm at peace with that, and so I understand--it's impossible to "just enjoy the piano," as your well-meaning friends suggest.

I don't have the answer for you, and don't know what might replace the keyboard for you. But maybe you should hold off on selling your piano for awhile, and maybe hold off on saying good-bye to Piano World too. Give it some time. If you're like me, music is surging through your veins, and it won't let go of you, even if you let go of it. You'll find a way to stay involved, I'm sure.

Very best wishes
Tomasino

Last edited by tomasino; 11/13/12 06:21 PM.

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
John :

I do remember a time when you were an active and eager participant in the Pianist Corner, before your physical problems really began to impede the enjoyment you gleaned from your music. Even later, I admired your stoicism and your efforts to overcome your difficulties or to adapt to them.

I am greatly saddened to read that it has come to this. I am quite sure that we can appreciate what a blow this must be, although we can't fully know all that you must be going through and how it must hurt, physically, emotionally and artistically.

I wish you well.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
John, I always read your posts and appreciated your contribution here and am very sad to hear about the turn things have taken for you. I've sometimes thought about what I would do if I could no longer play, and I believe and hope I could still find joy in music without playing, so I do hope you can too, and that music can still be a part of your life. If you feel you can, I hope you'll return from time to time.
My very best wishes.

Du holde Kunst...
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
So sorry for your circumstance, John. That's very sad. We'll miss you; don't forget about us completely.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh, John. I am so sorry to hear this. Please stop in now and then and let us know how you are doing.

Best regards,

Deborah
John,

I fully understand your reluctance to see your abilities deteriorate. I hope you find your piano an excellent new home. But consider this: we can still benefit from your insights into piano playing and music in general, and you can still benefit from the discussion and camaraderie of fellow music lovers here. Hang around.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
John, I am so sorry to hear about this turn your health has taken. If you should feel the inclination at any time, do come back and let us know how you are doing, although I can understand that you might not want to.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
John, I don't think we communicated with each other but I wish you all the very best.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Y
yhc Offline
Y
Very Sorry to hear about this. Wish you all the best of luck and don't lose your music.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
I echo the sentiments of the folks above. I loved reading your posts, and I will miss you. All my best...

Jason
I am wishing you the best in your situation- so sad to hear of this news. I immediately recognized your name, remembered many of your posts, too. Sending thoughts of strength and please keep music in your heart...

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
John, I sent you a PM. If it truly is goodbye (for now), then take care my friend. You will be missed. Please at least read my message before you take your leave. I, for one, would hate to see you go, but I understand well the frustration of not being able to sit in front of the keys in the way you want (if for completely different reasons), and the added frustration of discussing the very thing you love and can't have with everyone here in the forums. It was the reason I took a few years off myself.

No matter what your eventual decision, I wish you the best. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I am saddened by this news. You were a highly knowledgeable member here and you always commented constructively and insightfully. To have to stop playing the piano would be an immeasurable grief but you can still listen, and with all the wonderful electronic gear and software around, perhaps you could embrace arrangement and composition. Maybe that wouldn't suit you, and suggestions are easily made outside the situation, but to give up the whole of music seems too terrible to contemplate.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
B
B
I am very sorry. At times I remind myself, as I am getting older, that I need to savor the time I have for piano. There are no guarantees for anyone what tomorrow, next week, or next year will bring into our lives.

Leon Fleischer came out with an autobiography a year or 2 ago. Nine Lives?? I can't remember the title. I imagine you already know, that he was extremely good and lost the use of his right hand for playing in his 30's. He definitely had some ups and downs in his life but went on to do many different things musically.

Maybe you wrote some right-handed music?

My husband, a good amateur musician, has had physical issues as well. He is losing his eyesight (macular degeneration), has pretty bad tinnitus, and has significant whole body numbness. He really can't play an instrument at a level that he would like to, either. In addition, his fingers just don't seem to work very well in his right hand anymore. So, it has been tough for him as well.

Thank you for letting us know.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
it's just too sad to hear this, John. had always enjoyed reading your posts, but not this.

i haven't played piano for a while due to job changes, but you made me miss playing it now...

anyway, hope you get well and hang in there!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission