2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
45 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I have a friend who owns a Steinway upright from 1879.

I tune it and have replaced the strings, most of the action. A big job.

I can swear that the Ivory keys on this piano are ALL original. No chips, beautiful grain, perfect fit. It almost makes me cry.

I don't want Ivory on new pianos, but I have to be humble when seeing such workmanship.

I miss that.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by accordeur
I have a friend who owns a Steinway upright from 1879.
I tune it and have replaced the strings, most of the action. A big job.
I can swear that the Ivory keys on this piano are ALL original. No chips, beautiful grain, perfect fit. It almost makes me cry.
I don't want Ivory on new pianos, but I have to be humble when seeing such workmanship.
I miss that.

Greetings,
Yes, there were some real artists back then. I have a 1888 Steinway A with perfect ivory. There is no hint of a joint line on these keys, unless you get the light just right and notice the difference in the ivory pattern.
I have laid out and installed a complete set of ivory, but it showed the line after 10 years, so I am not sure what they did to keep the joint so clean. I have been told that it is the result of a three angle joint and certain pressure in installation, but I wasn't up to the skill level I wanted to be, ( and with the trouble involved in getting a tusk off a perfectly good elephant, I don't think I will have a chance to try, again...)
Regards,

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Mr. Foote!!!

I have tried and tried, then tried again over the years to match old keytops with other sets. Sometimes with success, but never to my satisfaction. I had and still have access to a large amount of old key tops. Probably over a thousand.

What I learnt is that, no matter, you can't match it.

You can try with some success, but it will never be like the original.

Many sets were made from a single tusk.

Depending on the elephant, his diet etc... all the tusks are different.

Some are more opaque, others more translucid.

So how did these guys back in the 1800,s match them so well so that today they are still intact?

This thread could be a short, or long history of Ivory?

Greenhouses for ivory?

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I have seen ivory keytops which the owner had believed were original, but it was obvious to me that some had been replaced. I am not about to spoil their delusion.

Old Steinways had ivory fronts, which are a disaster. The wood and the ivory move at different rates, and the ivory cracks. That is why celluloid fronts were adopted so early on.

The piano for tonight's concert, a 1928 D, had one plastic keytop when I first worked on it. I found ivory that matched pretty well, glued the front to the tail, and then glued the entire piece onto the key. Then I filed it flat, and shaped it to match. I can still tell that it does not match exactly, but unless you point it out, nobody is going to notice. I always start with ivory from the same key. If it is a G, I find a front that came from a G, with a tail that has the proper width. As the dimensions of keys vary so much, it can take a long time to find one which is the proper size. Color is a problem, because they will usually lighten up as they are filed. Some ivory has a striped vein that has to be matched, too.

Ivory wears out. I have seen ivory worn so thin you can see through it. If you have really nice ivory, the piano has not been used much.

Probably the best ivory I have seen has been on Mason & Hamlins. Mine is still pretty good, but it is getting worn. My wife's Steinway has some ivory which was discolored from being lost under the keys, but she does not want me to replace it.

Semipro Tech
P
P
There were ivory of different quality, the cheapest could even be from walrus!
When the ivory was cut, it got sorted and packed in boxes, one box for each keyboard. Each piece of ivory was numbered on the back side so they knew on which key to glue each piece. All pieces in a box were like each other. That's why it is so difficult to match new ivory to the old pieces.
In exclusive pianos you can find ivory in one piece for each key.
There are different ways to glue ivory, using gauze over the glue is a common method. I use a white powdet glue mixed with water and heated in the glue pot.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BDB
Ivory wears out. I have seen ivory worn so thin you can see through it. If you have really nice ivory, the piano has not been used much.

When ivory wears out what are the best and most cost effective modern materials for replacing it?

Please let me know if this should be, or has already been answered, in another thread.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
When ivory wears out what are the best and most cost effective modern materials for replacing it?

This stuff is excellent:

http://howardpianoindustries.com/simulated-ivory-piano-keytops.html

Piano Technician/Tuner

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission