Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1986378 - 11/13/12 10:36 PM I don't know about you guys? Perfect Ivory.
accordeur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
I have a friend who owns a Steinway upright from 1879.

I tune it and have replaced the strings, most of the action. A big job.

I can swear that the Ivory keys on this piano are ALL original. No chips, beautiful grain, perfect fit. It almost makes me cry.

I don't want Ivory on new pianos, but I have to be humble when seeing such workmanship.

I miss that.

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1986380 - 11/13/12 10:41 PM Re: I don't know about you guys? Perfect Ivory. [Re: accordeur]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: accordeur
I have a friend who owns a Steinway upright from 1879.
I tune it and have replaced the strings, most of the action. A big job.
I can swear that the Ivory keys on this piano are ALL original. No chips, beautiful grain, perfect fit. It almost makes me cry.
I don't want Ivory on new pianos, but I have to be humble when seeing such workmanship.
I miss that.

Greetings,
Yes, there were some real artists back then. I have a 1888 Steinway A with perfect ivory. There is no hint of a joint line on these keys, unless you get the light just right and notice the difference in the ivory pattern.
I have laid out and installed a complete set of ivory, but it showed the line after 10 years, so I am not sure what they did to keep the joint so clean. I have been told that it is the result of a three angle joint and certain pressure in installation, but I wasn't up to the skill level I wanted to be, ( and with the trouble involved in getting a tusk off a perfectly good elephant, I don't think I will have a chance to try, again...)
Regards,

#1986387 - 11/13/12 10:56 PM Re: I don't know about you guys? Perfect Ivory. [Re: accordeur]
accordeur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Québec, Canada
Thank you Mr. Foote!!!

I have tried and tried, then tried again over the years to match old keytops with other sets. Sometimes with success, but never to my satisfaction. I had and still have access to a large amount of old key tops. Probably over a thousand.

What I learnt is that, no matter, you can't match it.

You can try with some success, but it will never be like the original.

Many sets were made from a single tusk.

Depending on the elephant, his diet etc... all the tusks are different.

Some are more opaque, others more translucid.

So how did these guys back in the 1800,s match them so well so that today they are still intact?

This thread could be a short, or long history of Ivory?

Greenhouses for ivory?

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

#1986448 - 11/14/12 02:18 AM Re: I don't know about you guys? Perfect Ivory. [Re: accordeur]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I have seen ivory keytops which the owner had believed were original, but it was obvious to me that some had been replaced. I am not about to spoil their delusion.

Old Steinways had ivory fronts, which are a disaster. The wood and the ivory move at different rates, and the ivory cracks. That is why celluloid fronts were adopted so early on.

The piano for tonight's concert, a 1928 D, had one plastic keytop when I first worked on it. I found ivory that matched pretty well, glued the front to the tail, and then glued the entire piece onto the key. Then I filed it flat, and shaped it to match. I can still tell that it does not match exactly, but unless you point it out, nobody is going to notice. I always start with ivory from the same key. If it is a G, I find a front that came from a G, with a tail that has the proper width. As the dimensions of keys vary so much, it can take a long time to find one which is the proper size. Color is a problem, because they will usually lighten up as they are filed. Some ivory has a striped vein that has to be matched, too.

Ivory wears out. I have seen ivory worn so thin you can see through it. If you have really nice ivory, the piano has not been used much.

Probably the best ivory I have seen has been on Mason & Hamlins. Mine is still pretty good, but it is getting worn. My wife's Steinway has some ivory which was discolored from being lost under the keys, but she does not want me to replace it.

#1986507 - 11/14/12 06:55 AM Re: I don't know about you guys? Perfect Ivory. [Re: accordeur]
pianolive Offline

Loc: Europe
There were ivory of different quality, the cheapest could even be from walrus!
When the ivory was cut, it got sorted and packed in boxes, one box for each keyboard. Each piece of ivory was numbered on the back side so they knew on which key to glue each piece. All pieces in a box were like each other. That's why it is so difficult to match new ivory to the old pieces.
In exclusive pianos you can find ivory in one piece for each key.
There are different ways to glue ivory, using gauze over the glue is a common method. I use a white powdet glue mixed with water and heated in the glue pot.

#1986513 - 11/14/12 07:22 AM Re: I don't know about you guys? Perfect Ivory. [Re: BDB]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Originally Posted By: BDB
Ivory wears out. I have seen ivory worn so thin you can see through it. If you have really nice ivory, the piano has not been used much.

When ivory wears out what are the best and most cost effective modern materials for replacing it?

Please let me know if this should be, or has already been answered, in another thread.

#1986525 - 11/14/12 08:02 AM Re: I don't know about you guys? Perfect Ivory. [Re: Withindale]
CC2 and Chopin lover Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
When ivory wears out what are the best and most cost effective modern materials for replacing it?

This stuff is excellent:

http://howardpianoindustries.com/simulated-ivory-piano-keytops.html

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
Today at 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
Today at 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Who's Online
67 registered (andwi, AEMontoya, Badinage, BB Player, AZNpiano, barbaram, 17 invisible), 916 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157554 Topics
2314214 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission