Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 21 of 203 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 202 203 >
Topic Options
#1070737 - 02/19/08 12:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
If you're on antibiotics, eat yogourt. (having preceded your journey by a few months). Oh, and whatever you do, if you tend to grind your teeth or clench your jaw when doing difficult things on the piano ... don't! An excellent time to get over a usually visible bad habit.

Can't advise about the playing: Have your teacher check how you're doing chords and where the tension is coming from. My dominant hand (left) would also be the mischievous one.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1070738 - 02/19/08 03:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Ogrt48 Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I'm having the same problem as you mom3gram. I've been stuck on the 2nd version of Saints for days now. I can play the first version almost perfectly now but on the second version I hesitate and take too long switching to the F chord for the most part, and sometimes g7.

#1070739 - 02/19/08 07:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Patience, grasshopper...

I'm only a beginner too, but you won't get stuck in any one place for too long..

Don't forget, the two guardians of wisdom are fear and confusion.

(I can't believe I just said that!)

#1070740 - 02/19/08 10:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
gli Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I have questions about how to play the harmonies with sharp or flat signs.

Examples can be found in “The Stranger” on page 129 of Alfred’s adult all-in-one course #1. The fourth measure in the RH has a harmony of G and B plus a sharp sign. Should I play the G sharp only, or the B sharp only, or both G and B sharps? A similar question goes to the sixteenth measure in the RH, with a harmony of B and D plus a flat sign.

Thank you very much for your help!

#1070741 - 02/20/08 03:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Ogrt48 Offline

Well the px200 came today.. Now I really understand why people laugh and call my 4 year old 61 key yamaha a toy, lol. This casio is so beautiful, the photos online don't do it justice. I went through some of the songs in Book #1 using grand piano 1 and they finally sound so beautiful. I'm having some new problems since getting it though. I'm so used my old yamaha which had no pressure on the keys themselves . Now when I try to play the fast notes in songs such as the saints go marching in I have to press down so much harder to get the sets of notes to play. I'm used to just pressing the keys down 4 times or however many times required extremely fast but now with this pressure its not so easy! Saints Go Marching in actually sounds nice on this digital piano. I was regretting spending the $450 on it while waiting for it to come, but after practicing for 30 minutes on it I've already fallen in love with it. I'm sure I'm going to start going through this book much faster now since it's a joy to practice on.

#1070742 - 02/20/08 04:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ogrt48:
Now when I try to play the fast notes in songs such as the saints go marching in I have to press down so much harder to get the sets of notes to play. [/b]
You will get used to it soon enough. You may experience a little pain as your fingers gain some strenght, just don't over do it like I did when I switched to weighed keys.

#1070743 - 02/20/08 04:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Your PX200 sounds wonderful, Ogrt48! I'm still playing on the "toy". I have a lot of things I have to pay for before I can think about upgrading - new roof and garage doors, dental bills, etc. It is my plan to upgrade eventually though. I will keep the PX200 in mind.

I am getting better at the 2nd Saints with the right hand chords. I know I shouldn't panic when I first try a new lesson. Some of the older ones that I thought were so hard are a piece of cake now.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1070744 - 02/20/08 04:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Ogrt48 Offline

I'm fine with the first version of Saints now too. I'm having a little trouble with the second version but not as much as I was a couple days ago. I basically pause and mess up when switching to the RH F chord.

#1070745 - 02/20/08 05:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
mom3gram, I have a question for you. Are you doing both the Alfred's and the Bastien books? How do they compare? Does Bastien have a series like Alfred's?

I have my hands full with Alfred's, to be sure, but I am interested in how other method books compare, too.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1070746 - 02/20/08 06:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'm mostly doing the Alfred book. I have a level 1 Bastien set for kids, lesson, theory, technic and performance books that my grandkids outgrew. I used the primer level ones before I started Alfred, and I have done 3 lessons so far in the level 1 lesson book. So far it is mostly sharps and flats. I haven't really been spending much time with it, as you said, I have my hands full with Alfred. I may go back to it when we get to sharps and flats in the Alfred book. I actually never finished the primer set because the last three lessons were in G position, and I wasn't ready to add a new position. I see that we will be coming to that soon in Alfred. So I will just dip into the Bastien kids books when I need reinforcement for something I'm learning in Alfred. I think the Alfred book explains things better, but the music in the Bastiens are a little easier.

Bastien DOES have a series for adults. I had seriously considered that one because I liked their kids' version, but I decided on Alfred because of this study group. I also read some very good reviews on the Faber adult series.

#1070747 - 02/20/08 07:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Good for you. Best of luck with your new PX-200.

#1070748 - 02/20/08 08:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
500 Post Club Member

Holy cow. I felt good about finally getting Lavender's Blue down. And the next couple of pages presented no real challenge (although I do admit I am skipping the Hanon introductions for now... I will probably buy the Alfred Hanon's book later and do these for real...).

Then I turned my attention this evening to Blow The Man Down. Sounds like I have never touched a piano before.

Casio Ap-200

#1070749 - 02/20/08 09:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

turleyfan
Hanon intro??
I don't seem to have in my book, do you have the all-in-one?

congrats on the upgrade!!

#1070750 - 02/20/08 10:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
500 Post Club Member

Yes, the All In One. So far there have been three Hanon exercises introduced, but I can't do any of them at any sort of tempo whatsoever. Which means they are really boring.

I understand some people swear by Hanon, while others seem to prefer Czerny. Plenty of time to form my own opinion, I reckon.

Casio Ap-200

#1070751 - 02/20/08 11:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by turleyfan:
I understand some people swear by Hanon, [/b]
and some swear at Hanon!!

I have the Hanon book, I did like the first 2 and quit after trying 3, one of these days I'll pick it back up, probably when I go back to lessons, but for now I'm having fun with Alfred's Adult Level 1, I just started the Can Can Song (right now it's the can't can't! \:D )

#1070752 - 02/21/08 07:43 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Undone Offline

Loc: USA, CT
Does anyone have an answer for the question gli asked on the 19th? I meant to take a look at the music last night (not that I’d necessarily have an answer), but forgot. Now I’m out of the house once again and don’t have the book with me.

Gli, if all else fails, you could try and PM Erin_J who played this piece in the recent recital.

#1070753 - 02/21/08 07:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Undone:
Does anyone have an answer for the question gli asked on the 19th?[/b]
I haven't gotten to that yet in the book, but I was interested in hearing an answer to that too.

#1070754 - 02/21/08 08:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
In response to gli's question on the 19th concerning how to play certain note combinations in measures 4 & 16 of "The Stranger" on pg. 129 of Book 1 here's the scoop: since this piece does NOT have a key signature (thus, is in the key of C Major or in this case the relative key of A minor) any sharp or flat sign that appears in the music ("accidentals") applies only to the note on the line or space where the sign is placed. In measure 4 only the G is sharped. In fact, as I'm sure you already know, there is no such thing as a B sharp - or to put it another way, since there is only an interval of a half-step between B & C, B sharp is C. That is, they are "enharmonic, i.e. two different ways of designating the same note. In some rare instances a B is actually sharped, but not often. In measure 16 since the flat sign appears on the B line & not the D line only the B note is flatted. The fact that the notes are played together in a two-note chord (chord of sorts - actually a "harmonic interval") doesn't change the rule about applying accidentals. Also, just in case you weren't sure, only the right hand is played 8va (an octave higher) in measures 13-16, and not both hands (otherwise there would be a separate 8va indication for each hand or the one existing indication would say " ... both hands". Or anyway, that's how the compilers of this series of methods seems to use this indication & I assume this conforms with standard usage. JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1070755 - 02/22/08 12:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mullyman Offline

Loc: Japan
mom3gram, I have to say that I did the same as you. I chose the Alfred's course because of 2 things 1. Everyone here recommended it and 2. Everyone here recommended it. Although those 2 things sound 1 in the same they are actually different. The first one refers to the fact that a lot of people here hold it in high regard. The 2nd one refers to the fact that since everyone has it that it will be convenient if I have any questions. It's so easy to say "On page 36...."
MULLY

#1070756 - 02/23/08 03:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Ogrt48 Offline

I've been stuck at the part where you learn the G position for days now. It's like I'm completely starting over at learning piano now. The g position just isn't clicking to me.. GET THOSE NOTES BACK ON THE STAFF /cry

#1070757 - 02/23/08 10:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mullyman Offline

Loc: Japan
Has the mistake in the Albert's book been discussed here yet? I've got the "All in One" with the CD. Track 51 in the book is Lavender's Blue but track 51 on the CD is Kum-ba-yah! Track 52 in the book is Kum-ba-yah but it's track 51 on the disc. I'm assuming this hasn't gone unnoticed on this forum but I'm not going through 25 pages looking for it. If anyone else is just starting out with this book and CD and you haven't seen this discussed then here ya go. The book and the CD are reversed at tracks 51 and 52.
MULLY
thinking about notifying whoever makes Alfred's and letting them know I want an updated CD

#1070758 - 02/24/08 03:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
500 Post Club Member

I thought there was a mistake on page 85 (Kum-Ba-Yah). In measure 8, the music calls for a RH D and a LH G (both whole notes). For the life of me, I could not get this to sound right. I ended up crossing out the LH and playing a LH D / F second, which felt right.

On to Lone Star Waltz now. Those of you who have completed this, have you gotten to the point where you didn't need to keep your eyes on the keyboard? There is a lot of movement going on in this piece, and my aim is poor right now. I have to watch the keyboard.

Casio Ap-200

#1070759 - 02/24/08 10:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
apollo33 Offline

Loc: US, PA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
I thought there was a mistake on page 85 (Kum-Ba-Yah). In measure 8, the music calls for a RH D and a LH G (both whole notes). For the life of me, I could not get this to sound right. I ended up crossing out the LH and playing a LH D / F second, which felt right.[/b]
It sounds right as written to me. It's another form of the G7 chord, and it occurs again right before the end of the piece. Did you change it there also? Without the G I think the D and F sound more like a D minor chord instead of G7.

Quote:
On to Lone Star Waltz now. Those of you who have completed this, have you gotten to the point where you didn't need to keep your eyes on the keyboard? There is a lot of movement going on in this piece, and my aim is poor right now. I have to watch the keyboard. [/b]
I just tried and had to look. But I think you should be able to play the first 8 without looking, then look at the right when it does sixths, and then at both when the left does sixths. I find that if I try to watch either the music or my hands the whole time, it always screws me up. Memorizing is a big help.

Going back to earlier parts of the book, I hardly remember the songs, and it's kind of like starting over... except that I recognize the chords a little better. Is that normal?

#1070760 - 02/25/08 03:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Naked Shaman Offline

Loc: Savannah,Ga
Hey Boys & Girls,
Chris here. Brand new member. A good friend of mine (who is also my piano tech) gave me a copy of Grand Obsession yesterday. OMG , I have only read the first three or four chapters but it is amazing how I relate to this book. It's receipt was very timely I as was getting very discpuraged with my lessons.

I am 51yrs old and started taking lessons for my 50th Birthday. I actually don't count the first year as I was so intimidated and overwhelmed by the process that I have only just gotten to the point where I feel as if I am actually learning something. Am using the Albert book along w/additional pieces my Teacher gives me.

It is so cool that I have found this site. Between this and the book I have a whole new attitude towards my journey to becomming a PLAYER!!!!

Lots more later,
Chris

#1070761 - 02/26/08 12:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Grumbles Offline

A quick introduction; I am 30 (as of 2 weeks ago *gulp*) and I have been messing around with piano for a few years. NOTHING SERIOUS, just fiddling with the piano that my wife got from her family. After reading this thread, I broke down and picked up the book on Saturday. I previously had been messing around with some elementary school versions of movie themes, but that is about the extent of my piano skills. I did play brass for years, so I am familiar enough with the bass clef, treble... Well, don't get me started.

I made it up to Jingle Bells in a day or so, but this one has got me going crazy. I can play the first 3 lines, but that forth line gets me every time. What I am wondering is how do we not go crazy as we practice? I am SO sick of hearing myself play this one. If it were any other song, I would be fine. But why oh why did they introduce the hands together with Jingle Bells?!?

I will get over it soon. My goal has been to master each song before moving on, but I am tempted just to say good enough on this one. I will force myself through it though. \:\)

I must say, this site is great. I just found it last week; I can't even say how inspiring it is to hear the recital songs. It is cool to hear where other people after about a year or two into their playing. I can't wait to learn a few numbers; I am looking at you Raisons and Almonds... ;\)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a brand new player? Anything you know now but wish you would have known earlier?

#1070762 - 02/26/08 01:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi, Grumbles! It was just a week or two ago that I was struggling through Jingle Bells, and now I'm pretty much done with the two Saints. I still get a little hung up sometimes with the right hand F and G7 chords, but most of the time I'm okay with them. Suggestions? Practice, practice, practice, and patience, patience, patience.

#1070763 - 02/26/08 03:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Hi Everyone,

I'm a true beginner, still looking for my digital piano. In the meantime, I'm doing some research into what type of classes or instructions I will need.

Will it be practical and effective to work through what seems to be the popular instruction books series Alfred's Adult Method Book 1 or All-In-One on my own, or is it better to have an instructor by my side, or is it better to have both? What you all find is effective and working for you so far?

And are there any other beginners' instruction books or resources that you would recommend?

Thanks.

Key Notes

#1070764 - 02/26/08 09:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
IamElise Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
I would say definately get the alfred's book 1 - it just seems better to me. However I also got the all in one because it has more songs and looked interesting.

Definately get a teach. you will see much much progress as oppose to going it alone.

I thought I was doing well on my own but gosh did I take off when I got my teach.

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!

#1070765 - 02/26/08 09:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
Hi Keynotes and welcome.

Alfred is OK. I'm not his most enthusiastic proponent and my impression from the teachers forum is he isn't overly popular over there. Apologies for any wrong impression. I think you will find the consensus is we move forward faster and/or better with the right teacher but it isn't essential to get going. If you do decide to go with a teacher it might be worth seeing what methodology they use before you buy anything.

I was bored with Alfred after 3 months {the basic, I never tried the All in One} and have tried several methods. They each bring something new for me, but methods such as Aarons I think would be best for a complete beginner to leave alone or work through with a teacher. Quite a few forum members have used Faber Adult Adventures. I've completed Book 1 and enjoyed it. I also like the Hal Leonard Adult, which has pretty tunes on the accompanying CD's, and is much slower paced than Alfred IMO. Good for a complete beginner.

There is so much supplemental material available it can be hard to discriminate as to what may or may not help. I glean ideas from reading old forum posts and see what others recommend or suggest. I have also spent a lot of time in music stores!

Good luck and whatever route you take, enjoy. \:\)

#1070766 - 02/26/08 10:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Naked Shaman Offline

Loc: Savannah,Ga
 Quote:
Originally posted by Naked Shaman:
Hey Boys & Girls,
Chris here. Brand new member. A good friend of mine (who is also my piano tech) gave me a copy of Grand Obsession yesterday. OMG , I have only read the first three or four chapters but it is amazing how I relate to this book. It's receipt was very timely I as was getting very discpuraged with my lessons.

I am 51yrs old and started taking lessons for my 50th Birthday. I actually don't count the first year as I was so intimidated and overwhelmed by the process that I have only just gotten to the point where I feel as if I am actually learning something. Am using the Albert book along w/additional pieces my Teacher gives me.

It is so cool that I have found this site. Between this and the book I have a whole new attitude towards my journey to becomming a PLAYER!!!!

Lots more later,
Chris [/b]
Umm , I meant ALFREDS , up to page 30. And I am discouraged. And I play piano as poorly as I type.............

Page 21 of 203 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 202 203 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
39 minutes 48 seconds ago
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Today at 12:19 AM
Will this Piano Room have good Acoustics?
by flamenco88
Yesterday at 10:59 PM
Proud new owner of a Yamaha P22
by amanda416
Yesterday at 09:04 PM
Returning to piano, advice on slow learning process
by roninpro
Yesterday at 07:57 PM
Who's Online
88 registered (anotherscott, aesop, AndreiN, 23 invisible), 956 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157597 Topics
2314851 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission