Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 40 of 196 < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 195 196 >
Topic Options
#1071307 - 07/22/08 10:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Dave123 Offline

Loc: Canada
 Quote:
Originally posted by Muzak:
I went snowboarding almost everyday this winter and was doing a trick I had done a million times and was just too lax, slipped a little bit, put my wrist down and boom, 5 months later it still hurts.
[/b]
Sorry to go OT people, if someone said to me I go snowboarding, no biggie. when I saw your region and read this comment my eyebrows raised.
Anyway visited your Blog

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1071308 - 07/22/08 10:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Muzak Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave123:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Muzak:
I went snowboarding almost everyday this winter and was doing a trick I had done a million times and was just too lax, slipped a little bit, put my wrist down and boom, 5 months later it still hurts.
[/b]
Sorry to go OT people, if someone said to me I go snowboarding, no biggie. when I saw your region and read this comment my eyebrows raised.
Anyway visited your Blog [/b]
haha quite understandable to raise your eyebrows at that! I lived out in the Lake Tahoe California region all winter, and worked at a ski resort. So I got free admission to 4 different hills and reduced fares at others, was a great experience! And thanks for the blog visit, man I need to update that thing more....

Well let me just say I wrote my first measure of music today! Quite rewarding to play something I wrote even though it is only 4 bars ~ 20 seconds long. I really need to go get the necessary items to record, would be fun to share with you all.

Zak

#1071309 - 07/22/08 10:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Dave123 Offline

I look forward to listening to your uploads.

#1071310 - 07/23/08 09:33 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
 Quote:
Originally posted by jrcallan:
The Entertainer is pretty cool. I have it down about 75% and sometimes it sounds like I'm actually playing the piano! As always, I REALLY have a tough time slowing myself down. But I'm beginning to really see that if I play fast, I solidify mistakes and bad form into a rock-solid mass that's pretty hard to undo. Playing too fast is seriously unproductive from a learning point of view.
[/b]
I'd have to agree with just about everything here. I enjoyed working on The Entertainer. Good thing, too, since it took, oh, about a month for me to be able to play it without error. Which I've now done maybe three times.

Can't get excited about Amazing Grace. Don't know if I'll ever play it, to be honest. On the other hand, I've let Anthony talk me into another piece Limbo, by Einaudi. Wow. I am totally excited about playing it, and really enjoy the time I spend working on it. It's really something to make sounds out of my piano that I've heard through headphones for months.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1071311 - 07/24/08 05:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
At my stage of the game (8 mos. self-teaching), it's hard to remember to pay attention to musicality, I mean, not just getting the notes right. It's funny how, even on a simple song like Jericho, how much expression you can add with changes in energy, ala p,pp,ff, etc. To me, that's the fun part.

#1071312 - 07/25/08 12:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
1silkyferret Offline

Loc: Elsewhere-now Texas
I have to keep this short. I have no motivation at this point and only hit the piano maybe once every other week.

any ideas?

#1071313 - 07/25/08 03:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Chaplin Offline

Loc: the Netherlands
Maybe you just need a brake in order to sort of indigest the new material. In that case it shouldn't be a problem, just relax and enjoy the piano moments whenever you feel up to it. ;\)

Or is the demotivation caused by a lack of challenge (or perhaps an overdose?)

Have a nice day,

from Chaplin

"The road not Taken"
Robert Frost (1874-1963)

#1071314 - 07/25/08 04:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
dvdiva Offline

Loc: Manila
 Quote:
Originally posted by 1silkyferret:
I have to keep this short. I have no motivation at this point and only hit the piano maybe once every other week.

any ideas? [/b]
Invite a friend over for dinner on a given date, and tell him/her you'll play piano for them. That'll give you something to work for! \:\)

#1071315 - 07/25/08 04:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
AWTPP, That's really exiting regarding Limbo. Good for you!

jrcallan, I agree with you, working on the dynamic and the musicality of a piece is both a joy and a challenge.

1silkyferret, Maybe you just needed a break. Nothing is wrong with that. I'm sure that when your desires returns, you'll pick it up again.

Cheers,

Key Notes \:\)

#1071316 - 07/25/08 07:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I just played Cafe Vienna all the way through without a mistake. Now that may not seem like much, but I've been working on this song for 10 days now and usually can't play the first four mesures without a mistake. In fact, I practice those 4 measures slowly about 10 times each day before I even attempt the whole song. And today I played it cleanly. I'm proud of myself.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1071317 - 07/25/08 07:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Dave123 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mom3gram:
I just played Cafe Vienna all the way through without a mistake. ...... I'm proud of myself. [/b]
Congratulations \:\)

#1071318 - 07/26/08 12:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mom3gram:
I just played Cafe Vienna all the way through without a mistake. Now that may not seem like much, but I've been working on this song for 10 days now and usually can't play the first four mesures without a mistake. In fact, I practice those 4 measures slowly about 10 times each day before I even attempt the whole song. And today I played it cleanly. I'm proud of myself. [/b]
Deservedly so! Congrats mom3gram.

#1071319 - 07/26/08 06:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
jrcallan Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
What's more fun than a milestone? I really enjoyed learning Cafe Vienna -- it seemed like playing "real music", and I did not find it easy.

Good for you!

#1071320 - 07/27/08 02:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Dave123 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jrcallan:
At my stage of the game (8 mos. self-teaching), it's hard to remember to pay attention to musicality, I mean, not just getting the notes right. It's funny how, even on a simple song like Jericho, how much expression you can add with changes in energy, ala p,pp,ff, etc. To me, that's the fun part. [/b]
I am finding of late I am able to put a little expression into my playing, before it was just tying to get it right with no thought on how I was playing the piece.

As an update of where I have progressed to over the last couple of weeks.
Beautiful Brown Eyes, slowly getting there sounds much better than my earlier efforts
Alpine melody, that one didn't take long to learn, but find I have to keep going back to it to maintain a good rhythm (the term rhythm used loosely in my case \:\( )
Waltz time, this is the first waltz tempo I have managed to play \:\)
Happy birthday got that one quite quickly
Standing in the need of prayer, I have worked allot on this one, almost there, but I still have problems where it goes from E to B sharp in quick succession.
Allouette i had that one in a couple of hours and got a reasonable tempo to it \:\)
Lavender Blue just started, most of it OK but does need more work.
I see I am within a few pages of the notorious BLMD

#1071321 - 07/27/08 03:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sounds like you are making wonderful progress Dave123. Good for you! Not to worry about BLMD, you'll be able to get that one down as well.

Since it was such a challenging piece for me, I still go back to practice on it occasionally.

#1071322 - 07/27/08 05:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
I did play BTMD today but since I had like a two week break since playing it did take me a few tries to make it through. \:D

Pretty much solid work on my side projects in hope to make something sound good for the upcoming recital. \:\)

I'll get back to Alfred's eventually.

#1071323 - 07/28/08 10:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyB:
I did play BTMD today but since I had like a two week break since playing it did take me a few tries to make it through. \:D [/b]
I hear ya and can definitely relate. \:D

Pretty much solid work on my side projects in hope to make something sound good for the upcoming recital. \:\) [/b][/QUOTE]

Looking forward to hearing it.

I'll get back to Alfred's eventually. [/b][/QUOTE]

Hmm, your "eventually" sounded like it might be a while, especially now that you've got bitten by the Einaudi's bug(s). \:D But that's okay as long as you still come back and visit us and continue to upload beautiful music for us all to enjoy.

I tell myself to be patient and my long dream list will be waiting for me as my rewards along the way, but hopefully some of them will be at the end of book 1. \:D

#1071324 - 07/29/08 11:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
1silkyferret Offline

Loc: Elsewhere-now Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by dvdiva:
 Quote:
Originally posted by 1silkyferret:

any ideas? [/b]
Invite a friend over for dinner on a given date, and tell him/her you'll play piano for them. That'll give you something to work for! \:\) [/b]
that breaks "cat rule no1" I dont play for anyone else!

I pretty much stick to the practice keyboard here. When I do lay there its scales and technical exercises. That puppy sounds cool!

#1071325 - 07/29/08 12:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
500 Post Club Member

I can play Limbo the whole way through. Schedule permitting, I'll record and post a video on the blog later this week.

This is very exciting for me. This is the sort of thing that made me want to play piano in the first place. I'm probably going to take a few months and work on other Einaudi pieces. It will be interesting to return to Alfred's later on and see where that puts me. Working on these other pieces, I'm sure, will result in improvements in and of themselves.

It's been mentioned before, but I feel I should revisit this: if you have any interest in Einaudi's music, I would heartily recommend learning to play some of the easier pieces. They are more approachable than they sound.

Casio Ap-200

#1071326 - 07/29/08 02:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Aw2pp, I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing your video. You sound very excited about playing Einaudi's music. I think I have a ways to go yet before I try them.

I am playing Cafe Vienna fairly well. I'm not going to start anything new because I'm leaving on Thursday for a trip to Oklahoma to visit my daughter and her family. I probably won't get to practice, although they do have a Yamaha keyboard that the kids fool around with, and if they haven't wrecked it, I guess I could use that. Don't know if I have room in my suitcase for my Alfred book either. Hopefully, being gone for almost two weeks won't set me back too far. I took a trip back in March and was fine when I got back, but the music I was playing then wasn't as difficult. I guess I will see. :-)

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1071327 - 07/30/08 02:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Pinkroses Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum & to classical piano. I just started learning 2 months ago and joined in hope that I may get some helpful pointers here.

My teacher told me to buy this book "Alfred's Basic Piano Course: Fun Book 1B By Willard A. Palmer, Morton Manus, and Amanda Vick Lethco"

However I find it quite a waste to buy this and use it for less than 3 months before casting it aside going on to the next level.
Does anyone knows where I can get the online version / scanned copy or share with me their copy? Thanks alot for your kind help!

#1071328 - 07/30/08 03:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
dvdiva Offline

Loc: Manila
^ Maybe your local library has it. As far as I know, method books aren't available on digital sheet music sites (e.g. Musicnotes or Sheet Music Direct).

#1071329 - 07/30/08 08:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
500 Post Club Member

Hi, Alfred's buddies. I posted a clip of Limbo on my blog. It's a better-than-average run through of the piece for me, albeit still rough. But as I said earlier, learning it has been a lot of fun, and I feel like I have gotten a lot out of it.

And an additional comment on the approachability I mentioned the other day... I "learned" this (I'm still learning, but still) faster than I learned Blow the Man Down, Little Brown Jug, or The Entertainer.

When I clean it up sufficiently, I'll post a new recording.

Finally a clip for you

Casio Ap-200

#1071330 - 07/31/08 02:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome Pinkroses. I'm not using that particular book so I don't know but perhaps you can try posting the same question out in the main ABF thread so that it can be seen by more readers.

AWtPP, What admirable efforts on your part with Limbo and your recordings. Bravo and congratulations to you! I'm sure that you'll get the rough spots smoothed out soon enough. And it's wonderful to know that this song is more approachable than BTMD. Can you believe that I still occasionally practice that one(?) \:D

BTW, I like how you spread all four sheets of music out so that you don't have to flip through the pages. Nice job once again.

#1071331 - 07/31/08 11:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Pinkroses Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi Keynotes,
Thanks for your suggestion! I did just that... http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/32/6956.html hopefully there will be people who has the materials. \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Key Notes:
Welcome Pinkroses. I'm not using that particular book so I don't know but perhaps you can try posting the same question out in the main ABF thread so that it can be seen by more readers.
[/b]

#1071332 - 08/01/08 01:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
AWtPP, that was pretty cool. What the heck is that beast your playing? I'm jealous, wishing I had a piano to play.

#1071333 - 08/01/08 11:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
500 Post Club Member

Hi, Gary. It's a 98 year old upright with "Heller & Co." engraved on the fallboard. Weighs about 700 lbs., it does.

Casio Ap-200

#1071334 - 08/05/08 08:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Kurisu SARU Offline

Loc: a small 4 cornered room with m...
Thanks to Oxford Gal I have the Alfred's Book Lesson 1 now. I was going through it playing some of the pieces, and am working on my sight reading etc. But Anyways, I played the one PianoN00b played also, Raisins and Almonds and uploaded it to youtube.

I made sure I said thanks to you in the video also Loly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plM6ivUuQeM

#1071335 - 08/05/08 10:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Kurisu SARU,

Welcome! That's really great that you finally got the book, and of course that was super nice of Oxfor Gal.

Since I haven't gotten to Raisins and Almonds yet, I didn't know that this song sounded so nice. I don't know how much musical background or piano experiences you've had previously but you seemed to be playing it very well. I'm looking forward to learning that song now too.

Cheers,

#1071336 - 08/05/08 11:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kurisu SARU:
Thanks to Oxford Gal I have the Alfred's Book Lesson 1 now. I was going through it playing some of the pieces, and am working on my sight reading etc. But Anyways, I played the one PianoN00b played also, Raisins and Almonds and uploaded it to youtube.

I made sure I said thanks to you in the video also Loly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plM6ivUuQeM [/b]
Thanks for posting that video of yourself playing! That was also very nice of Oxford's Gal to send you the book.

I'll also be nice and send you a five star member rating for being nice and posting a recording/video for us to watch. ;\)

I wonder where I would be Alfred's wise without this detour learning some Einaudi pieces...

Page 40 of 196 < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 195 196 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (Ben_NZ, Atrys, 19 invisible), 1254 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295435 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
07/31/14 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
07/31/14 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
07/30/14 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
07/30/14 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
07/30/14 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission