Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 83 of 195 < 1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 194 195 >
Topic Options
#1230484 - 07/12/09 04:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
justcallmesir Offline

Loc: UK
When I did the can can I also transposed it and did it in two other keys. I think it is in C major, and I transposed it to G major and F major - it was a good exercise.

Find your new start position - play the same fingering but be aware of the sharp or flat according to the new key.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1230802 - 07/13/09 08:51 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: justcallmesir]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I have not gotten a lot of practice in the last two weeks, due to pain in my hips. Cause - being overweight, being 64, starting a routine of walking every day, tap, senior basketball, arthritis, etc. Sitting on the darn piano bench, or sitting in one place on anything makes the pain worse. So instead of practicing for an hour or so, I have just played the troublesome spots in "Chiapanecas" once or twice, and then played the song through and stopped. I've done this a few times a day, and it's coming along well. I'm trying not to sit too long at one time, or stand too long at one time. Luckily it's summer, so I can do some pool therapy. Next up is "Auld Lang Syne" which I will be starting in a day or so.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1230916 - 07/13/09 12:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Quagles Offline

Been trying to learn Standing in the need of prayer, and its actually rather hard. I can do the first 2 lines, but once i get to the eight notes on 3rd line it just doesn't come of right and sounds unnatural. I was thinking I have been pushing the wrong keys, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Still doesn't seem to fit, so either I'm playing it horribly wrong or maybe I'm just doing it too fast.

Almost got the first 2 lines down at least so there's some progress, but its pretty hard compared to earlier songs.

#1231100 - 07/13/09 07:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Quagles]
marimorimo Offline

Loc: Kingdom of Nodame
mom3gram : I hope you get better soon!

Quagles: Are you counting properly? "One-and-two-and-three-and-four." Make sure the D is sharped and stays sharped at the 1st bar of the 3rd measure all the way to the end of the 2nd bar (up to "but it's."
30th Week Playing Piano
--------------------------------------------
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +

#1231125 - 07/13/09 08:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: marimorimo]
BarbVA Offline

Sorry you're hurting Mom3gram, hopefully you'll get some relief soon switching up your routine.

Quagles, SITNOP is a little tricky at first. But in addition to what marimorimo suggested, try singing the words (even in your head) and it kind of guides the rythm a little bit, until you get a better feel for it.

#1231302 - 07/14/09 08:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: romolo]
dee180 Offline

Loc: NH
Hi Romolo - I am now just polishing up Greensleeves too. I love the piece and so it motivates me to practice. The pedaling took a little work but I think I've got it!

Mom3Gram - I hope you feel better!!!!!!

#1231303 - 07/14/09 08:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

"Standing in the Need of Prayer" was one of my favorites. I don't remember if I had any problems with it in the beginning - I probably did, since I seem to have problems with everything in the beginning. LOL. It helps to hear what it is supposed to sound like. Do you have the CD with your book? I usually check PianoNoobAlexMan's Youtube videos (they are really good), but in this case he plays it so fast that it's hard to get anything out of it.

#1231314 - 07/14/09 08:44 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Rivid Offline

Loc: New York
Hello everybody. New player here - just bought a keyboard about two weeks ago and decided to use Alfred's ( in part due to the popularity / success I've seen here ) I'll be self-teaching this time around. 6 or so years ago I attempted to play with a teacher for ~6 months, but did not enjoy it at all and had given up. I've got 5 classes left to graduate with a Computer Science bachelors degree from RIT now, and was looking for a new hobby.

I've restarted from the beginning as I've forgotten pretty much everything, but I breezed through the beginning of the first book ( probably much too quickly ) and am working on Scarborough Fair. I've tried to go back and play some of the previous pieces and found that it doesn't go so well, so I'm slowing it down and plan on going back and relearning / polishing all the previous songs as well as recording them all with my new MIDI/usb cable I picked up yesterday.

I would play a song until I could get the notes / rhythm 95% correct and then move on, but I've recently noticed I've been basically ignoring dynamics and pedal. I was just anxious to get by the beginning "boring" songs and move on to something a bit more exciting, which I realize will only hurt me as I move on.

Anyways, sorry for the long post - just thought I'd introduce myself as I'll be around and posting now!

#1231410 - 07/14/09 12:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Rivid]
Quagles Offline

Thanks for tips I think I've tried 100s of times but its just not working out. Whatever tempo I try the sound just doesn't sound natural like it belongs to the song. Am I even pushing the right keys? E and Sharped D. Rest of song is not a problem at all, it just doesn't sound anything like it should. This and Mary Ann is the only songs I just haven't liked at all right now, Alpine Melody was quite enjoyable.

Hanons kind of confuse me at the moment, maybe I'm just too tired to understanding so gonna give Alouette a try.

#1231594 - 07/14/09 06:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Quagles]
1silkyferret Offline

Loc: Elsewhere-now Texas
Quagles,

I had a hard time with Standing...I would play the 8th notes as I have heard that song sung many times..long short long short sort of like a dotted eighth-sixteenth note. also called "swing notes". I just could not do the exact one & 2 &...

#1231597 - 07/14/09 06:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
1silkyferret Offline

Loc: Elsewhere-now Texas
Mom3gram,

I hope your muscles are doing better. I wonder why benches are not padded...its not like all of our behinds are!(snerk)I stuck a pillow on mine!!!!!!
I'm in Ohio now. 2 tasty toys to play here but have not had the time to do so.

#1231651 - 07/14/09 08:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: 1silkyferret]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Here is my "The Entertainer" The book says "not fast" Overall I think it is OK ... I am going to work on evening the tempo and maybe bump it up a notch. Moving on to the last song in the book- "Amazing Grace" This one may take a few weeks, so I will be here awhile longer smile

http://www.box.net/shared/b2t0gjhi43

#1231675 - 07/14/09 09:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Strings & Wood]
romolo Offline

Loc: Canada
Awesome job Carl Mc...Sounded really good. Im almost there. But I have to get through Scarborough Fair first. Its taking longer than I thought lol. But Im getting better and better at it each day. Won't be long now. Measure 9 was really giving me problems but I just worked on that measure over and over again and now it's fine.

#1231676 - 07/14/09 09:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Strings & Wood]
BarbVA Offline

Sounded good CarlMc, although I think "not fast" could have been a tad bit faster, you hit all the notes and that's what counts, congrats. I'm looking forward to that one, I've loved that song since I was a kid and the movie (was it The Sting?) came out and I first heard it at the movie theatre.

#1231849 - 07/15/09 08:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
marimorimo Offline

Quagles : Maybe it's just that the Alfred arrangement for Standing in the Need of Prayer isn't entirely accurate. It's dummied down for beginners like us, after all. Fortunately(?) for me, I'm not familiar with the song, so nothing really felt 'wrong.'

Carl mc: Congrats on The Entertainer! Certainly one of the pieces I'm looking forward to smile I am also of the opinion you could bump up the speed a bit, though.

I had my lesson a while ago. An amazing thing happened! I played the dreaded "Little Brown Jug" for my teacher, and for the first time ever, my teacher gave me a pass on my first try!! yippie I almost couldn't believe it when she said I played it well and perfectly. I guess that after reading here how notorious LBJ was, I practiced it like crazy XD So now I'm in 'Chiapanecas.' I'm also working on another beginner piece in the Frances Clarke book by Tcherepnin (how do you pronounce these names!?). The technique needed for that book is definitely more complicated than Alfred, but I think it's great for more variety.

Edited by marimorimo (07/15/09 08:09 AM)
30th Week Playing Piano

#1231862 - 07/15/09 09:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: marimorimo]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Your "Entertainer" was excellent, Carl! Could be a little faster, but that will come. Really nice!

#1231879 - 07/15/09 09:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Strings & Wood Offline

Thanks to all for the comments. Since we all agree to bumping the tempo a notch I will work that out.

marimorimo
Congrats on your LBJ performance. That is a good one to get a passing grade. Performing that one well will set you up for the next three or four songs.

Romolo
Scarborough Fair took me awhile also. That measure 9 is a tricky one- your fingers just want to do something different than what is on the page. I really enjoy this one and committed it to memory.

Quagles,
I posted SITNOP for someone else several pages back if you want to hear another version. Sometimes hearing it is the best fix. Be sure and say the words when you play this part and note the word the left hand cord falls on. Such as (broth)-(sis)- (me) (oh) (lord) Good luck.

#1232041 - 07/15/09 02:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Strings & Wood]
Quagles Offline

Couldn't find it Carl, but its alright I decided to put it on hold and try to pick it up again once I'm at blow the man down, I'm guessing I might be stuck a while with that with quite the frustration.

Anyways at Kum-ba-yah it says 2nd time both hands 8va? What does it mean? Play both hands 1 octave lower/higher?

#1232058 - 07/15/09 03:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Quagles]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or
Quagles. Both hands one octave higher...... 8vb means one octave lower.....

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1232491 - 07/16/09 01:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: wj3]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I started Auld Lang Syne today. Wow! It's so much easier than the previous three songs. I shouldn't have too much trouble getting this one up to speed.

Some of the songs I've learned recently I feel have really been over my head, and it was like beating a dead horse. I just had to move on, but I plan to come back to them again. In the meantime, it's great to have something that goes a little more easily.

#1232511 - 07/16/09 02:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
Rivid Offline

Loc: New York
I also found Auld Lang Syne to be significantly easier than the pieces preceding it. Guess that's just how the songs fit in with the theory / technique that was being taught at the time.

Yesterday I started working on Limbo by Einaudi as more of a long-term goal ( although I don't find it very difficult so far ) I can play the first page with relatively few mistakes already smile

#1232751 - 07/17/09 12:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
AC26XP Offline

Could someone please tell me the difference between

Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course: Lesson Book, Level One by Willard A Palmer

and

Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 1 by Willard A Palmer

Both are by the same author, so if I get Alfred's Level One, am I wasting my money and time going through Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 1 ?

Is it the same content... a horse of a different color, as it were?
Are are both highly recommended working through independent of each other ?

Thanks,
AC

#1232806 - 07/17/09 05:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: AC26XP]
marimorimo Offline

@AC26XP: The books are essentially the same, but people here recommend the All-In-One course because it has it has theory and technique in it too (so it has more pages). The Lesson Book only has that: Lessons. But you can buy the theory and technique books separately. So in that sense, the All-in-One course is the best value. You don't need to work through both of them because the lessons are the same. (Just get a supplementary book)
30th Week Playing Piano

#1232866 - 07/17/09 10:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: marimorimo]
Strings & Wood Offline

Also, there are a few additional songs in the All in One Book.

#1232943 - 07/17/09 12:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Strings & Wood]
Zenobe Offline

Loc: Newtown CT
Well I've moved on from Marines Hymn and Can Can finally, and now I'm working on the dreaded Little Brown Jug in earnest. I've got it pretty much down hands separate, and now I will try to put hands together.

I'm holed up in my office at work playing a lame unweighted keyboard with the volume way way low. It's my only free time! My AIO book at home as "Good People" in it, but the regular lesson book doesn't have that one. So I'm practicing Good People in the few minutes I have at home, and LBJ on my lunch hour. People around here probably think I am a freak, but, well, maybe they'd be right.

Good to hear that you're on to Auld Lang Syne mom3gram. Hope the pain has subsided somewhat.

#1233371 - 07/18/09 12:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Zenobe]
Quagles Offline

I think I've hit the point where my patience will be put up to the test, Blow the man down. On paper, it honestly looks much easier than the next easier, and not all that much harder than previous but, its pretty damn hard. I've got the RH down, thats pretty easy, the LH almost down but not up to the right speed. The problem with this song is that its played rather fast, and there's pretty much anywhere you have to use both hands at the same time, which the brain won't adjust to right away it seems.

Not sure how long ill be stuck on this but my guess its gonna a lot longer than any previous ones, gonna feel even better onc I get it down as well.

After that I think ill have to review the theory again, I still cannot read the bass line properly at all it just seems so confusing to me. And I even had big problems figuring out the keys in Michael row the boat ashore.

#1233403 - 07/18/09 01:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Quagles]
romolo Offline

Loc: Canada
Quagles,

I know exactly what you are talking about and how you feel...
Blow the Man Down was very difficult for me too. It was probably the first piece that I found fairly difficult and the first piece that took a while to learn and master. But trust me, keep practicing and your hands will soon do what they're supposed to at a fast speed. And once you do get it, you'll be so proud and you'll want to play it over and over again smile

I also understand what you mean about not being able to read the bass line properly. I remember when I was at that piece, I had trouble reading the bass line too. It didn't click like the RH staff did. But again, trust me, as you move on in the book, you'll get more practice working on the bass clef notes and you'll be able to read them instantly. I actually went back and did the lessons for the LH over again after finishing Blow the Man Down and it helped.

The trick with Blow the Man Down or with any piece that seems difficult is just to practice it over and over again at a very slow speed, slow enough where you are hitting the right notes all the time. Then slowly increase your speed. The next day, you'll be able to play it as your brain will have had time to register what you practiced the day before.

#1233599 - 07/18/09 10:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: romolo]
BarbVA Offline

Quagles,

I'm with Romolo, Blow the Man Down is generally a challenge for all of us once we get there. But something happens with that piece and your brain starts to learn how to do something new, and just when you think you'll never be able to get it, you nail it and do indeed feel proud of your accomplishment. Just be patient, don't let it frustrate you, those that are past that song have all struggled (at least I don't think I've EVER read anyone say that it wasn't a big challenge). But I also don't think I've ever read anyone say that they just couldn't get it, it comes around for all of us eventually. Good Luck!

I'm officially up to Good People, then its on to LBJ, not sure yet if I'm anticipating or dreading it, lol.

#1233661 - 07/19/09 01:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BarbVA]
Tak13 Offline

I have a super quick question. Thing is that I keep messing up with the counting. I can play the song fairly good without counting but my teacher told me that counting is really important later on. So is there anyway to improve the counting? Thanks.

#1233743 - 07/19/09 09:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Tak13]
marimorimo Offline

Yes, counting is important not just later on, but even earlier. The sooner you get used to counting, the better. The only way to improve the counting is...to count!! grin Do it at the very start of the piece, counting very slowly... then when you get the hang of it, use a metronome (do you have one?) to check if you're keeping exactly to the beat.
30th Week Playing Piano

Page 83 of 195 < 1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 194 195 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (Abby Pianoman, ajames, Alkanaut, 36251, 38 invisible), 1570 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156249 Topics
2294679 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
casinitaly! Many happy returns of the day!
by malkin
07/29/14 08:30 AM
T.J. Rochford Piano, trying to uncover some history
by Mikey Bob
07/29/14 07:58 AM
How to study harmony through Bach
by ttttcrngyblflpp
07/29/14 07:58 AM
Gustav Lutz?
by MartaG
07/29/14 06:37 AM
Can anyone help me identify Bach's music in this soundtrack?
by WellTemperedPizza
07/29/14 05:30 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission