2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, 8 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 87 of 452 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 451 452
D
D
Originally posted by mom3gram:
Way to go, KaylaX!!! I'm working on "Love Makes the World Go Round" from the Alfred Adult Pop Songbook, but it's a real struggle. I find these songs much harder than the lesson book.

Do any of you have the "Alltime Favorites" book. That's the one I want to get next. Then again, maybe I should just concentrate on learning the ones I already have.

Hey, isn't "Rainbow Connection" Kermit the Frog's song? :-)
I have the all time favorites book and have learned Londonderry air (Danny Boy) from it took some time but did get it down quite reasonable.
Rainbow connection is in the greatest hits book, I haven't really done to much with that one, except for Love Me Tender, I was never big on Elvis so didn't put allot into polishing it up

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"Why am I Blue" is kicking my butt! So far I'm working on the first line with both hands, and the second line with right hand only. Some of you who are only a few songs behind me may catch up to me, since I see this one taking me a long time. Of course, it would probably go faster if I weren't working on other things at the same time.

I've been in Book 1 for just about a year now, and I still have about 25 pages to go. Not in any hurry, just stating fact. :-)

I would still like to get that "Alltime Favorites" book, and maybe the "Sacred Book" too, but for right now I think I've got my hands full.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Talk about hands full. My teacher thinks I can do Tchaikofsky's Piano Concerto No1 from the Bastiens level 2 book and I think she is crazy!!!!! This piece is kicking my butt up and down and all around. BUt its a fun process. The other downfall is, its taking up all my time and now ive slowed down on Alfreds. I am still working on polishing up Cafe Vienna and Lullaby is not looking to friendly either.

Mom3gram, id like to catch up to you but I know that, thats not possible. You seem to be cruising right along.....And if im not mistaken angelojf has passed me up too. I better git on it!!!

KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
I was wondering what the general feeling was about having a teacher versus not. I have spent a lifetime learning things from books rather than get instruction and have been pretty successful with that approach. At twenty five buck for 30 minutes, I want to really feel it was worth it, but I have my doubts. From reading old posts, I don't really see a consensus pro or con. Right now I'm working on Cafe Vienna and sort of getting it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm self teaching. I too have taught myself many things from books. I'm sure that I would progress faster, and better, with a teacher, but:

Time:
I don't really want another regular committment, plus I don't want to drive any distance, and I haven't found a teacher local enough for me. I can "teach" myself any time of day that fits into my schedule.

Money:
I'm living on Social Security and my late husband's pension. I gave up my art classes (which I loved) because I couldn't afford them anymore. Piano lessons would cost more than the art classes that I gave up.

Piano:
Until recently, all I had was a $99 Casio keyboard with unweighted keys. No teacher I know would take on a student with such a "piano". I now have a decent digital with weighted keys.

Pressure:
I think lessons would involve pressure to learn at a certain level/speed, and I prefer not to subject myself to that at this point in my life.

Enjoyment: I actually enjoy teaching myself. Even the pieces that I really struggle with are a lot of fun to work through - I don't think they would be if I had to worry about pleasing a teacher.

That said, I'm sure that those who are willing to commit the time, money and energy to taking classes with a good teacher will become a much better pianist than those who don't. It's just not for me right now.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I think having a teacher or self teacher depends on persons learning style. Me for example thrives on having a teacher. I could probably go at it on my own but I have so many questions that I need to have the instruction, and the guidance, and the structure.

So it depends person to person, and it depends on whats available to you depending on where you live. I have to drive quite a distance to my new teacher. But she is worth it. Where I live there just wasnt any quality teachers.

I also think that for what is out there, one could do it on their own like allot of the members here on the forums. I think there is enough support, and help, but what you need most of all is the determination to keep practicing on your own. I need someone to be held accountable too or else I would tend to slack of and skip the hard parts of playing.

So thats my two cents....

KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Yea, KaylaX!

So glad to hear you are enjoying and enthusiastic about the changes you made in finding a new teacher.

Each teacher offers us the potential to learn different things, and some just fill the bill as a teacher more than others.

I'm so glad you've found her! I see you have added MTAC exams! thumb

Yea, again! Best wishes to both of you!

Betty

mom3gram,
yeah, regarding whether or not to have a teacher, I'm with you about the aspects of pressure and just plain old enjoyment. Right now I'm having a blast - excluding some occasional frustration - and I don't want this to turn into a chore.

However, if I were convinced that a teacher would really improve my playing, it might be worth it in the long run, because of the rewards that come with improvement.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Aaaaaagh! Little Brown jug is driving me nuts, I've been sweating over this tune for days and I just can't get it smooth! Did anyone else struggle with it? It's not causing as many problems as BTMD (which I could barely play at all at first!) but it's more frustrating because it's such a simple (and irritating! ) tune.

It'll come, it's not that far off now but damn it's been hard work!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not up to Little Brown Jug yet, but I recall several people hitting a wall with it a while back. I think it's another one of those where the rhythm trips you up. Good luck with it - I know you will conquer it.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I am still on Cafe Vienna... I have it memorized and no longer really read the notes- I should move on, but it is musical and I am enjoying it. I should move on though... am I procrastinating?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm not up to Little Brown Jug yet, but I recall several people hitting a wall with it a while back. I think it's another one of those where the rhythm trips you up. Good luck with it - I know you will conquer it.
Thanks! smile Another day or two should see the back of it lol!

Carl - I tend to move on when I get to that stage but still play through the old tunes regularly. I think if you do that once you've progressed a bit further in the book the older tunes will be much easier and you'll find yourself playing much better!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
B
B
Well just wanted to give an update. Rather than practicing for an hour or more at a time, I've been breaking up my sessions into 3-4 mini 10 or 15 minute sessions and it seems to be helping my ulnar nerve problem I posted about in the other thread. Plus I got a new office chair with adjustable arms, hoping that will help as well.

I got my Alfred's book Friday at my second lesson, and I have done all the theory and practice up to page 45 (the first When the Saints go Marching In). After a miserable first attempt at The Saints, I closed the piano up for the evening.

I've got paper clips on a few pages I want to go back and review, or polish up a little bit, which are Jingle Bells on page 30, Mary Ann on page 37 and What Can I Share on page 42.

In addition, I'm supposed to be memorizing Candy Corner and The Rainbow Song (individual pieces she gave me at my first lesson) and she gave me 4 new pieces last week. Two are from the My World in Motion Book 2, the first one is The Big Parade and the second is Classical Dance, I have both of them down pretty good.

The other two individual pieces she gave me are Spirit of the Stallion and Masked Rider. I've not gotten very far with either of those. They both have some things in them we haven't covered yet, and while I think my teacher was trying to challeng me to see what I could do with them, I don't want to invest time in learning them wrong. So I think I'll wait until next lesson and ask her a few questions before I go back to them.

In addition to that I'm working on the scales of C,G, D & A, the C & G arpeggios, and C & G chords. Oh and I keep cheating and going to the back of the book to play around with The Entertainer, I've always loved that song, and can do the right hand pretty good, but no luck adding the left yet, lol.

I love keeping up with where everybody is at, the only drawback is I now know what songs to dread when I see them coming, LOL.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think breaking it up into 15 minute segments is a great idea for now. How is it feeling when you do that?

Your teacher seems to be keeping you pretty busy. I'm not familiar with any of those pieces, but I like the titles. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
B
B
I think breaking it up into 15 minute segments is a great idea for now. How is it feeling when you do that?
It seems to be helping, like not letting it get inflamed like it was with the longer sessions, but we shall see. Thanks for asking.

Wow!!!! BarbVa,

Your teacher is keeping you pretty busy. I dont know how you keep it all straightened out. BUt it sounds like you are cruising along really well. And I hope you rnew office chair helps. Keep up the awsome work!!!!!

KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah that sounds like some pretty intensive study, impressive!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK gang, I have some questions regarding "Chasing the Blues Away" on page 108 of the All in One Course.

1) In the first measure, regarding the F#. Do you finger it with the second or third finger?

9) Relatedly, on the ninth measure, do you finger the Bb with the second or third finger?

Does it matter?

Thanks !

-Angelo

wj3 Offline
Angelojf I think I used the third finger on the F#, 1 on E, 2 on F and 3 on F#. Then On the Bb I use 4. Starting in Bar 8 2 on the A, 1 on the G, 3 on the Bs, and 4 on the Bb and 3 on the last B. So its starting on bar 8 its 2,1,3,3,3,4,3. I think that its whatever works for you as long as you always use the same fingering. I hope this helps

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sure does help. Thanks, wj3!

Page 87 of 452 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission