Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1986161 - 11/13/12 12:40 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Sam S]
Greener Online   content

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto
Originally Posted By: Sam S
I discovered that I've been playing a wrong note in a chord for at least two weeks - I hate when that happens. My teacher pointed it out last night. That's not the first time that has happened to me. I somehow get a wrong note stuck in my head (or under my fingers) and have to adjust when I finally realize my error. It's always an interior note in a big chord.

So I had to brave the red dot again and re-record. As a result I have dropped like a stone through the recital order and everyone else has moved up! You're welcome...

Sam

Hey Sam, for all the work you do, I vote for you to go ahead and manipulate the software and take whatever spot you want.

I feel for you. If it was non-classical and the note otherwise still fit with the chord, I'd leave it. But with classical (as is yours) yep, I'm afraid I would be re-recording too ... as I have also been tempted to do, each time I take a listen to what I posted. I don't listen to it anymore ...

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1986170 - 11/13/12 01:08 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia

I'm in.

It's good to see everyone.

#1986184 - 11/13/12 01:39 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Sam S]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
So I had to brave the red dot again and re-record. As a result I have dropped like a stone through the recital order and everyone else has moved up! You're welcome...

Sam

You're still ahead of me smile

Hope to record today. If not today, it ain't going to happen. . .

Cathy

#1986260 - 11/13/12 04:27 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Sam,

Nobody probably would have noticed that single inner note? However, is the overall sound and energy better than the previous recording? I usually don't worry too much about a few small mistake... There's a pretty obvious 'typo' somewhere halfway my recording ;-)

#1986271 - 11/13/12 05:02 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
I came in at #44. I've been fighting the beginning of a cold and sore throat and felt my energy sapping and my throat getting scratchier by the minute, so it was now or never smile. Not perfect but better than I'd had a right to expect given how crappy I was starting to feel.sick

Edited by Starr Keys (11/13/12 05:03 PM)

#1986318 - 11/13/12 07:15 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: wouter79]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: wouter79
Sam,

Nobody probably would have noticed that single inner note? However, is the overall sound and energy better than the previous recording? I usually don't worry too much about a few small mistake... There's a pretty obvious 'typo' somewhere halfway my recording ;-)

The first recording was better, of course - yeah, that's the ticket, it was way better. smile

There are different kinds of mistakes though. Knowing the right note and accidentally playing the wrong note is forgivable. But miss-reading the music and playing a d# instead of a c# is a worse error and pretty embarrassing.

It's worrisome how often this happens. I know I'm getting old. Maybe I need new glasses smile

Sam

#1986335 - 11/13/12 08:03 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Valencia Offline

Eek! I did it. I submitted a recording of just the first and part of the last page of winter wind. it's rough and short and slow compared to how it is supposed to be played, but oh well. It was fun. smile

#1986363 - 11/13/12 09:45 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I'm in.

Cathy

#1986370 - 11/13/12 10:04 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Sam S]
Peyton Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I discovered that I've been playing a wrong note in a chord for at least two weeks - I hate when that happens. My teacher pointed it out last night. That's not the first time that has happened to me. I somehow get a wrong note stuck in my head (or under my fingers) and have to adjust when I finally realize my error. It's always an interior note in a big chord.

Sam

Note to recital listeners... Just because someone is in as number 1 or 11 does not mean that is the order they need to be listened to. I for one will be listening first to the two people that worked the hardest to make these recitals happen... Monica and Sam. Regardless of whatever number they finally end up entering. smile

#1986446 - 11/14/12 02:10 AM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Teodor Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bulgaria
Submitted smile

Recitals:

#1986470 - 11/14/12 03:11 AM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I always get a kick out seeing the order other people choose to listen.

Some go for all the new comers first, some go for folks they know better, some according to genre, some go for all the ones with videos...Some start at the end and go to the beginning.....

Me? Traditional, conservative - I start at 1 and work my way through smile

Can't wait to start listening tomorrow!

#1986577 - 11/14/12 10:12 AM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA

I made it... went with the Schumann, struggling all the way. I even managed to delete one of my good takes... with sick kids around all day and up half the night, I didn't get the "horseman" take until very late last night!

I forgot to mention lunch... today it will be chicken livers, yummm.

Looking forward to hearing all of your pieces!

#1986586 - 11/14/12 10:28 AM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Norrec Offline

Last night I managed to get a recording I was happy with. Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish learning either of the two peices I had hoped to play for this recital. It was either play a peice that I learned a week or two after the last recital or run through various things in Alfred's. I decided to spend a day re-learning the earlier peice and re-record it rather than play the 'basic' Alfred's stuff.

What is the opinon on one mp3 with different versions of the same peice? The piece is about 1.5 minutes long. I have the recording from last night, the original recording from 2.5 months ago, and a for-fun recording played using a non-piano voice on my digital piano. I was going to record all three as a single mp3 and submit that. Would it be prefered if I only submitted one version?

Edited by Norrec (11/14/12 10:28 AM)

#1986590 - 11/14/12 10:47 AM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Norrec - you don't have to worry about it being 1.5 minutes long - I've submitted several that are around that length, and so have others. Most of mine don't go much over 2 minutes, because they're pop songs, and that's the most times I can repeat them without them becoming totally boring laugh What we enjoy is hearing "where you are now" - and I know that when I go back and listen to my earlier submissions that's the part I like knowing. I can tell what my progress has been.

Some people do make bigger "productions", like adding slides for a video, etc, but really, those are just frosting on the cake. The music is the real deal - and your re-recording is the real deal, too. It's what we really want to hear, your music, right now. It's a submission in the true spirit of the ABF recitals, and when you listen to it again, several recitals from now, you'll love hearing where you are right now.

That's my take on it, any way. I'll look out especially for your submission!

Cathy

#1986600 - 11/14/12 11:26 AM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Norrec]
bessel Offline

FWIW, my submission this time is 1.5 minutes... my submission the last time I participated (2 recitals ago) was 1 minute, and the time before that it was 1.5 minutes. I'm on the shorter end of things, but by no means alone down there.

I'm with Cathy - the spirit of this, to me, is part about the fun of the music (however long) everyone brings to the table, and part about "where you are right now in your playing".

#1986601 - 11/14/12 11:27 AM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: bessel]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By: bessel
(...)I'm with Cathy - the spirit of this, to me, is part about the fun of the music (however long) everyone brings to the table, and part about "where you are right now in your playing".

+1 thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1986648 - 11/14/12 01:27 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
Exiting this. I'm in for the first time, and hope that both my playing and the technical issues with recording and file formats are ok.

Actually I planned to submit a shorter piece, but after recording six different compositions I went for the one sounding best to me. "Unfotrunately" this was a Chopin piece. I promise to come up with something more original the next time.

Recording my playing and listening to it was a tough experience. But also quite useful. I'll do that frequently in the future hoping that it will help me improving my skills.

#1986655 - 11/14/12 01:39 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ganddalf, I love classical piano music, no matter how much or how little it is played, so no "unfortunately" for playing Chopin from my point of view.

#1986656 - 11/14/12 01:42 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The deadline says it's 9 p.m. eastern time, but the countdown hours and minutes on the submission page work out to 8 p.m. Just in case anyone is planning to submit even later than I have (6 hours and 20 minutes to go), you may not want to leave it till the very last hour.

#1986658 - 11/14/12 01:45 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: PianoStudent88]
bessel Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
Ganddalf, I love classical piano music, no matter how much or how little it is played, so no "unfortunately" for playing Chopin from my point of view.

+1 thumb

#1986670 - 11/14/12 02:30 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: PianoStudent88]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
The deadline says it's 9 p.m. eastern time, but the countdown hours and minutes on the submission page work out to 8 p.m. Just in case anyone is planning to submit even later than I have (6 hours and 20 minutes to go), you may not want to leave it till the very last hour.

Submission countdown timer is correct now. Do not be late. Someone was late last time and did not get in. If I were you I would not wait until the last hour. The submission period stops when Monica says it stops, which is sometime around 9PM.

The timer was off because it started before we changed to DST - corrected now.

Sam

#1986724 - 11/14/12 05:56 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Sam S]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles

Do not be late. Someone was late last time and did not get in.

Sam

That someone was me. And it won't happen again smile
I just got in laugh
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#1986739 - 11/14/12 06:54 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Opps, booboo. I'm #43 not #44.

#1986743 - 11/14/12 06:57 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I just sent you your magic code, Starr Keys. It would've been easier if you had mentioned what your PW name was in your email. I had to do a bit of sleuthing to figure out what entry was yours. wink

#1986745 - 11/14/12 07:02 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Sam S]
Monica K. Offline

Submission countdown timer is correct now. Do not be late. Someone was late last time and did not get in. If I were you I would not wait until the last hour. The submission period stops when Monica says it stops, which is sometime around 9PM.

It won't be before 9:00, but it possibly will be 9:01. I've got a very early morning tomorrow so want to get going as soon as I can.

#1986786 - 11/14/12 08:34 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Thirty minute warning bell.... Ding Ding Ding Ding....

I just had a little scare. I went to upload my youtube video and then updated my recital submission, only to discover I had uploaded the wrong danged video. Oopsie. crazy

#1986787 - 11/14/12 08:39 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Well I just snuck in my "what you had for lunch" description. I didn't fill it out originally because I was in too much of a hurry to nab an early bird spot and was going to get back to it. I almost forgot!

Anyway, I used my 'magic code' to make a simple last minute editing change without a hitch. (Nice feature).

I wouldn't risk sending in my MP3 submission at the absolute last second though simply because it is what Monica is asking us NOT to do. [Insert the 'firm as concrete' thing].

She doesn't get paid enough and you've got two weeks..[336 hours) to submit your piece. No need for the last minute stress bomb.

#1986791 - 11/14/12 08:51 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Mile Hi Steve Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
My goodness, I have GOT to quit procrastinating. It's going to be the death of me I know it. But I'm so glad I got this in under the wire! These recitals are highlights of my year thanks to everybody here!

Happy Halloween
ummm.. or Happy Thanksgiving/Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/uhh.. Happy New Year

Steve

#1986795 - 11/14/12 09:05 PM Re: Recital #28 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Okay, gang... recital is closing for submissions. See y'all on the other side...

[Monica jumps into nearest phone booth, emerges wearing "AB_Forum_Recital" superhero outfit.]

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Böhm
by Johan B
10/24/14 03:40 PM
Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD?
by login
10/24/14 03:18 PM
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
10/24/14 01:35 PM
Coolest Back Action I have Seen
by Steve Jackson
10/24/14 11:55 AM
Who's Online
148 registered (ajames, accordeur, A Guy, 40 invisible), 1545 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158474 Topics
2327303 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission