2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
OP Offline
L
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, but have read some recent posts and they've been helpful. I'm hoping you can help us with a decision. I am the choir director for a large high school with high quality choir, band, and orchestra programs. We are a new high school with a great performing arts center, but NO piano for the stage. It's totally ridiculous, but for the past 5 years, we've been performing with a Yamaha upright practice room piano. The quality and size of our performing ensembles have far surpassed that piano and we are going to buy a semi-concert grand. Fortunately we have some sponsors lined up and our Boosters are ready to support us in this purchase.

We went out to obtain three bids on 7' (ish) grand pianos and visited a Steinway dealer, a Yamaha dealer, and a Kawai dealer. We absolutely fell in LOVE with the Shigeru Kawai. It sounds amazing, it's beautiful, and we appreciate some of the forward thinking with the construction, etc. We are convinced, but the problem is, the band, orchestra directors, and I don't really play. I mean, we "play" but we don't play. I would love to hear from some piano soloists and those musicians who have experience with many pianos.

Our bids are for the Yamaha C7X Semi-Concert Grand, a 2002 Restored Steinway B, and the Shigeru Kawai Semi-Concert Grand. We were not really moved by the Yamaha or impressed with the support that the dealer would be willing to provide so we're not really considering that. The Shigeru people were AWESOME and the Steinway people are pushy and extremely negative about the Shigeru (but they're salespeople, right?). Kind of a turnoff, but obviously Steinway pianos are amazing. We just loved the Shigeru...

My real question is, is there any reason to NOT purchase the Shigeru? Any warnings you have for us?

Thank you so much for your advice!

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
There is no reason not to buy that Kawai if it is what you prefer. It is a very well made and reliable piano with a quality company behind it. I wonder what they mean by "restored" with a 2002 Steinway. Or do you mean it was restored in 2002 and is an older piano?

If those are your only options, I think the Kawai is fine for your purpose, and you obviously didn't enjoy your treatment in the sales process by the people who are selling the Steinway. I would assume that how you are treated in the sales process will reflect how you will be treated by that company for service and for anything else as well.

However, since you, as you say, "play, but don't play", for peace of mind, why not get a really serious and accomplished player to help you with your choice? If this piano were just for accompanying a choir, any one of the three ( assuming there isn't something strange going on with a "restored" 2002 piano ) would be fine. If the piano will also be used as the featured instrument for concerts, you may want to get the opinion of someone who is more accomplished as a pianist.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Based on what you have described I'd guess that no one here will even try to talk you out of the Shigeru.

It is an excellent piano and well suited your your situation.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
"My real question is, is there any reason to NOT purchase the Shigeru?"

No. None whatsoever. Congratulations.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm not talking you out Shigeru, but I want another point to reach you. Trying a Steinway, a Yamaha and a Kawai is still nowhere near the variety of representative pianos out there to try. Clearly for you, the Shigeru was the standout of that group, however what else is in your area to consider?

You should seriously see what the European makers have to offer before you wrap your decision. I believe there would be several in your budget range.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
W
W
I would look at Estonia too.. My favorite in it's price but nothing wrong with the Kawai__ Good Luck!

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
The Shigeru may well require less maintenance due to the composite materials in its action. As I guess many people will play the instrument, individual preferences for one brand or another should not be a major factor.

Good luck.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
If you're happy with the Shigeru and the people selling it, there's no reason to pass. It's not really my cup-o-tea, but as a pianist and technician, I recognize it as a top-tier instrument... and of course it comes with a 10 year warranty.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
I'm not talking you out Shigeru, but I want another point to reach you. Trying a Steinway, a Yamaha and a Kawai is still nowhere near the variety of representative pianos out there to try. Clearly for you, the Shigeru was the standout of that group, however what else is in your area to consider?

You should seriously see what the European makers have to offer before you wrap your decision. I believe there would be several in your budget range.

I agree. The Shigeru is a very fine piano, and you won't go *wrong* with it, but in that price range there are other fine pianos.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks everyone!

We did look at Boesendorfer and Estonia as well. The Boesendorfer is way out of our price range (obviously), but the only Estonias that are around us right now are the 5' models...we weren't able to get as good of an idea because there are no semi-grands around for us to play....

The maintenance piece is big for us. We are a public school with a little budget and the hope of less maintenance fees for the Shigeru vs. the Steinway is appealing.

Regardless, the fact that we'll be performing on something OTHER than a little brown yamaha upright is very exciting.

Thanks for your thoughts! Any others are welcome!

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I don't think you'll really save a big deal on maintenance. The composite action might only have an edge 30+ years down the road as it wouldn't shrink or expand. You'd still have to treat your precious Shigeru baby like you would a very expensive Steinway or Bosie with regular tuning, cleaning, regulation, etc., etc. You'll still need to replace the non-carbon-fiber strings, felts, and bushings eventually.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by gnuboi
I don't think you'll really save a big deal on maintenance. The composite action might only have an edge 30+ years down the road as it wouldn't shrink or expand. You'd still have to treat your precious Shigeru baby like you would a very expensive Steinway or Bosie with regular tuning, cleaning, regulation, etc., etc. You'll still need to replace the non-carbon-fiber strings, felts, and bushings eventually.

Absolutely, yes, we will treat our new piano with supreme care, but it is good to know that you think the maintenance costs will be the same. Perhaps our Shigeru salesperson was overstating that benefit smile

B
BDB Offline
B
If you want to get an estimate of the cost of maintenance, you should ask your technician.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LynnieGC

The maintenance piece is big for us. We are a public school with a little budget and the hope of less maintenance fees for the Shigeru vs. the Steinway is appealing.

Regardless, the fact that we'll be performing on something OTHER than a little brown yamaha upright is very exciting.

Thanks for your thoughts! Any others are welcome!

Shigerus are absolutely great pianos. I had one for 4 years, and it never gave me a problem. From day one the action was impeccable and remained that way until I sold it. The only reason for the sale was I wanted a bigger piano, and I couldn't afford the SK6.

For your purposes I'd venture to say there is nothing in the price range that would come close to what you are looking for except the Mason & Hamlin BB with the new WNG composite action. The SK6 and the Mason BB would have very different sounds, but would both perform superbly.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
It sounds to me as if you have just started looking, and want this wrapped up quickly. That's certainly one way to make a big purchase. And you wouldn't go wrong with the Shigeru. But as others have suggested, you are in the big leagues here with a 7-foot high-end piano search, and there are now potentially dozens of worthy choices, especially if you include used instruments (which could save you some serious money).

Why not hire a local pianist and a local piano technician to do some sleuthing for a few weeks and give you a report? Tell them each they can skip visiting the local Steinway, Shigeru, and Yamaha dealers, since you've already hit those places, but to please source at least a handful of other instruments for you within your budget.

I've done such piano consulting here in Toronto, both for students and outsiders, and I like to think I've matched people and instruments with more success than had they done this unassisted. I'm a music educator with a zest for high-end pianos, coupled with a fair bit of knowledge and an obsessive nature. There's probably a similar nutbar sleuth right in your own community. Just make sure they are independent, and won't take kickbacks from dealers.

Also, if you can't find an Estonia locally, widen your search. Get on a train or an airplane, or make a road trip. Or get your consultant to do this for you.

One further thought, which might be controversial on this board: get rid of your ideas about a cosy post-sale relationship with the dealer. You just want to buy a great piano. What you need after the sale is a fine independent piano technician - a technician *not* beholden to the dealer. If the Steinway folks are jerks, you might still hold your nose and buy from them if they have a good instrument. (We haven't heard yet what year that Steinway B is.)

Good luck!

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 11/14/12 06:02 PM.
J
J
Well, you shouldn't buy the Shigeru because the world's going to end December 12, how's that? Other than that, I can't think of any possible reason why not.

As a matter of due diligence, at least take a look/listen/play at a Bechstein. It's quite a monster . . . ! Best of luck, and good for your team AND your booster sponsors. smile

PianoPerfection
Teacher, performer, technician
Westchester County, NY
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by gnuboi

Absolutely, yes, we will treat our new piano with supreme care, but it is good to know that you think the maintenance costs will be the same. Perhaps our Shigeru salesperson was overstating that benefit smile

I suggest you read what Ed Foote says about actions made from composites:

Originally Posted by Ed Foote
Greetings,... I am more interested, right now, on the level of maintenance needed with the WNG parts. With a school full pianos, (58 grnds, 90 uprights), having parts that don't warp or twist, or pinning that doesn't change, can make a huge difference in how much time is available to see that everybody is kept up. Freedom from straightening things up will allow more time for tuning and voicing, which are always in short supply in school situations.
So far, players feel like these actions are tremendously "precise". I may be getting too old to get the maximum out of the voicing, but in terms of control and consistency, I think these composite parts are going to do to wooden ones what carbon fiber did to wooden golf clubs and tennis rackets.
I think we have a clear choice between tradition and performance, here...
Regards,

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
T
T

Whichever instrument you buy, please make sure that your budget will allow for a NICE cover, preferably with a perimeter cable locking system, and a heavy duty truck for moving it around the stage. These are 2 of the best things that you can do to preserve your schools investment. If the hall is not climate controlled 24/7 and/or you're in a predominately dry climate you may want to consider a humidifier as well.

Pro Presenters - Norman, OK

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily that of the company for which I work.
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
One further thought, which might be controversial on this board: get rid of your ideas about a cosy post-sale relationship with the dealer. You just want to buy a great piano. What you need after the sale is a fine independent piano technician - a technician *not* beholden to the dealer. If the Steinway folks are jerks, you might still hold your nose and buy from them if they have a good instrument. (We haven't heard yet what year that Steinway B is.)
I agree. The post service sale from a dealer is only important if there is a serious problem to deal with that the dealer should make good on or if there are no other good independent techs available.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/14/12 08:00 PM.
T
T
The benefit of the Steinway, for a private home, would be quality, status, and resale value, however, in my useless opinion, the dealer and service friendliness, and the pleasing tone alone should be the key. A Steinway that will be a commercial institution piano will not appreciate in value noticably. I like the idea of the new Kawai. Their track record seems to be very fine. Many posters suggested using a pianist to determine the playability, I would concur. There are many fine pianos available, but the Shigeru is very highly respected as I understand.

Marriage is like a card game, you start with two hearts and a diamond, later you wish you had a club and a spade!
Yamaha G7 Yamaha CVP75 digital, Allen 3500 theater organ
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission