Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 167 of 196 < 1 2 ... 165 166 167 168 169 ... 195 196 >
Topic Options
#1971214 - 10/10/12 08:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
How's everyone doing? I've finally started to move forward a bit. I'm working on the G position (which is kinda nice) and am working on the song "Money Can't Buy Everything." My theory is way ahead of my skills, so I'm just working on trying to catch up and improve my technique.

It feels really slow going to me right now. I have to keep reminding myself that it is slow, I'm still sick and I am still adjusting to my new board! I wish us adults had a "be nice to self" button we could hit! LOL

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1971544 - 10/10/12 08:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Hope you feel better soon Becca. I am exhausted tonight ( busy week). Had my piano lesson earlier and was really struggling with timing on the Brahms Lullaby (teacher gave me) so we used an online metronome. Feels like I'll never get timing right- will be working hard on this. I am on page 29 of Alfred's and have been given page 32 and 35 specifically to do but will do pages inbetween those as well.
On the upside I played a simplified version of Beethoven's sonata no 25 2nd movement opus 79, which I had from last year and found it so much easier than when I first was learning it- I noticed my finger positions were improved which I think made the difference. OK I was probably getting the timing not quite right and I have the letters of the notes written on there (which I was doing til my teacher stopped me doing in the first lesson!) but it was flowing better. I thought I might have a copy on my PC as I was asked to print it out without the letters of the notes on, b ut I haven't so I will have to tippex them out and photocopy it. I used to play it far too fast before.
I find it much easier than the Brahms Lullaby.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (10/10/12 08:52 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1971680 - 10/11/12 05:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: EdwardianPiano]
fliper Offline

Loc: Angola (Africa)
Originally Posted By: BeccaBb
How's everyone doing? I've finally started to move forward a bit. I'm working on the G position (which is kinda nice) and am working on the song "Money Can't Buy Everything."

I am still working in "The Stranger". I am a little surprised because it took little time to remember what I have learned before my holidays.
I found this comment in this thread, made by Doug F, in June, 30th 2010:
"I also got passed on The Stranger. I would have to say that was probably the toughest one in the book so far; it has so many things going on - melody switching hands, dynamic changes between hands and on the repeated lines, changing rhythms, and on and on"
For me the biggest issue is the big jumps, that I am trying to do without looking to the keyboard.

I had fun play "Money Can't Buy Everything".

Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
Had my piano lesson earlier and was really struggling with timing on the Brahms Lullaby (teacher gave me) so we used an online metronome. Feels like I'll never get timing right- will be working hard on this. I am on page 29 of Alfred's...

Brahms Lullaby is more advanced than those pages of Alfred. You will go through them without big issues.

#1971740 - 10/11/12 09:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: fliper]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I am still working in "The Stranger". I am a little surprised because it took little time to remember what I have learned before my holidays.
I found this comment in this thread, made by Doug F, in June, 30th 2010:
"I also got passed on The Stranger. I would have to say that was probably the toughest one in the book so far; it has so many things going on - melody switching hands, dynamic changes between hands and on the repeated lines, changing rhythms, and on and on"
For me the biggest issue is the big jumps, that I am trying to do without looking to the keyboard.

I had fun play "Money Can't Buy Everything".

Sounds like you are doing well! Haven't got The Stranger in my Alfred's book- you must have a different book to me.

Quote:
Brahms Lullaby is more advanced than those pages of Alfred. You will go through them without big issues.

Don't I know it! It is starting to wind me up a bit- wake up hearing it played badly cursing
in my head and cannot get the timing right- the stuff I am doing in Alfred's so far has been ok.
I confessed to my teacher yesterday I nearly put it in the recycling bin!
Personally I am beginning to think I shall always be pants at sight reading and thinking to give it 6 months and then can it and just do the chords and playing by ear route which I am so much better at.
Means I won't be able to play my favourite music which is Classcial and will have to stick to pop but hey ho.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (10/11/12 09:51 AM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1975530 - 10/19/12 06:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
Hi everybody! Hope everyone is progressing along in our piano learning journey.

I'm working on Somewhere Over the Rainbow. It's a song I've always liked and I'm finding it enjoyable to play. It still needs work, but I think I will take a look at At Last next week while I am still trying to polish up Over the Rainbow.

I am also trying to play the previous couple of songs as well as they need a bit of work too. Amazing Grace is definitely one of the more challenging pieces in this book and I suppose that's why they put it at the end of the book. The tempo on the CD seems a bit fast for my liking and it also makes a couple of those stretches more difficult. Oh well, I just like to play it the way I feel it, and in this case it is a little slower.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1975541 - 10/19/12 07:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MonkeyMark Offline

Loc: UK
Good to see everyone plodding on.

My wife and I only started this a couple of weeks ago but are thoroughly enjoying ourselves.

We don't get much bench time, tends to be 10 or 15 minutes here and there dotted throughout the day. As such, I didn't expect much, however we have both surprised ourselves and each other. From those first tentative steps, fist notes and single finger playing, to now being able to play recognisable tunes incorporating several chords.
It's all very exciting and we find we are fighting to see who gets a go next.

I find the Alfred book to be very clear and well thought out.

Keep it up girls and guys. Onwards and upwards!

Alfred's self teaching - Book 1
Started Mid September 2012
End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??

#1975597 - 10/19/12 09:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: MonkeyMark]
Johnny D Offline

Originally Posted By: MonkeyMark
I didn't expect much, however we have both surprised ourselves and each other.

Alfred's is great in that way. You can really teach yourself how to play piano.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1975876 - 10/19/12 06:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well done folks!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1976123 - 10/20/12 08:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Troubledclef Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Has anyone ever decided to just start over from the beginning in the Alfred's book after being more than half way through?

I think at the time I may have just memorized the songs instead of learned how to read the music. I find I have a lot of trouble playing outside the key of C and think maybe I should start over. I've been playing over a year...but I am struggling.

Any suggestions?

#1976161 - 10/20/12 09:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Troubledclef]
MonkeyMark Offline

I'm only up to about page 50 of roughly 200 (it's the self teaching one), but I often go to the beginning and flick through, only takes 10/15 mins.
It's a good confidence booster as you suddenly find the earlier stuff so much easier than first time through.

End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??

#1976182 - 10/20/12 10:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: MonkeyMark]
Troubledclef Offline

Thanks, I am going through it now...it will be interesting to see where I start falling apart. I think part of the problem was my teacher let me skip or pass on songs I was struggling with.

I am no longer taking lessons, but I want to continue learning.
What do you find is the best way to progress?

Edited by Troubledclef (10/20/12 10:38 AM)

#1976646 - 10/21/12 08:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Troubledclef]
Troubledclef Offline

I got up to Lullaby before really having any struggles. Can someone tell me the best fingering (righthand)for the last eight measures?

This is what I am using

5 313 213452411
5 313 314321

It feels awkward...

Edited by Troubledclef (10/21/12 09:57 AM)

#1976653 - 10/21/12 09:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Trouble, usually when someone has rough spots that's when you dig in! I don't think there is anything wrong with backtracking. I took a break from piano this summer and when I came back, I started the Alfred's book with chords I already knew for a refresher. smile

Is there something wrong with the fingering that is provided for that song?

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1976672 - 10/21/12 10:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: BeccaBb]
Troubledclef Offline

The entire fingering is not provided for this section,
starting with measure 8 it shows

5 (c) the next three notes are afg- no fingering providedand then picks up with 2 (e) 1 (c)

the three notes without the fingering is where it is awwkward...the last 4 measures are similar.

5 313 213452411
5 313 314321
the book leaves out where I put 313, but as you can see the measures lead to a different note...313 2, and then 313 3

Maybe it is supposed to be awkward.

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by Troubledclef (10/21/12 10:27 AM)

#1976681 - 10/21/12 10:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Take what I say with a grain of salt here (as I'm not anywhere near that part of the book)

By looking at the score, I would take each phrase as a new hand position (it seems to repeat this throughout the score.) So I would ignore the measures for fingering and look at the phrases again. Where you have the two eighth notes e and c with fingering 1 and 2 I would consider that a new hand position.

After playing on my keyboard with this for a minute (having really tiny hands) I would play this with a few jumps. Eighth notes c as finger 1, half note c as finger 5, eighth note a as finger 4, eighth note f as finger 2, half note g as finger 3. Then switch hand position for next phrase.

What fingering have you tried and isn't working?

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1977520 - 10/23/12 10:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Troubledclef]
fliper Offline

Originally Posted By: Troubledclef
I got up to Lullaby before really having any struggles. Can someone tell me the best fingering (righthand)for the last eight measures?

This is what I am using
5 313 213452411
5 313 314321

I use this (I think it is same as BeccaBB)
(10) 542 (11) 321 (12) 345 (13) 2411
(14) 542 (15) 431 (16) 432 (17) 1

#1977564 - 10/23/12 12:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MonkeyMark Offline

The main thing i struggle with is time.
Between work and kids it's 10 minutes here and there. Though it should get better over the coming months.

End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??

#1978355 - 10/25/12 05:10 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
StefaanBelgium Offline

Loc: Belgium
I'm almost 2 weeks into Alfreds at the song "Beautiful Brown Eyes". I moved up rather quickly ( it's the smaller book with 96 pages, don't know the exact English title because it's in my native Dutch language ) and I'm definately happy with my progress so far.
I'm however not so sure about the chord emphasis that this book has... In the long run, I'm most interested in classical songs, not modern ones. I also hear that people complain about even the second level book, which still doesn't have attractive songs. Therefore I'm wondering if I should try another method book.

I also have the recently published "The classical piano method" by Heumann ( Schott-music.com ). This method doesn't build on chords. But there's also a couple of downsides: it's not popular, so if I run into problems I can't ask anyone. It won't be as motivating as Alfreds because there is not a thread like this one.

Any suggestions ? I definately need a method book that I can rigurously follow.
One more thing: beside my Alfred book, I'm practicing 'Fur Elise' ( I have the first 43 of 125 measures under my belt ) and also Burgmullers 'Arabesque' ( about a third of the whole piece ). Obviouslu much more difficult than Alfreds, but at least the efforts put in reward me with some beautifull sounding music!

#1978373 - 10/25/12 07:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: StefaanBelgium]
MonkeyMark Offline

I'm not sure how fast people normally progress through Alfred's, or if you have any prior experience, but your certainly making faster progress than myself. Well done!

End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??

#1978389 - 10/25/12 08:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Hi Stefaan! I would suggest - if you are self learning - to stick with the Alfred mathod book, and keep working on your classical pieces also. You might want to get a series of easier classical pieces to work from also, like "Masterwork Classics", which I think has around 10 levels. If you look it up on Sheetmusicplus.com, you can look at a few pages to see what they are like. The first book is pretty much on the level ofthe middle of Alfred 1.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1978501 - 10/25/12 02:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: MonkeyMark]
Johnny D Offline

I'm not sure how fast people normally progress through Alfred's.

Some people whip through it in 3-6 months, for others it takes a year or two or more. I've been working on it for about 1½ years and I'm near the end of the book.

It really depends. It depends on a person's past experience with piano or other instruments. It depends upon ability. It depends on whether or not someone has a teacher. It depends on how much time and practice someone puts into it.

I think the way you're doing it is okay by putting in 10 minutes here and there while you have time. The pieces in the second half of the book require more work and I think you would benefit in the future by practicing for longer intervals, but seriously I often do like you - I put in 10-15 minutes here and there instead of sitting down and playing straight for 45 minutes or an hour.

What is important is that we have fun and enjoy playing piano. It shouldn't feel like a chore, at least not for older beginners in my opinion. It's better to play a little and to keep playing and learning than it is to practice too much and risk burning out.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#1978539 - 10/25/12 03:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MonkeyMark Offline

Thanks for that.

I often only get 10 or 15 minutes, but still thoroughly enjoy it. When I can, which tends to be once or twice a week, I'll get maybe an hour in a sitting.

As my skills improve, so I don't sound quite so bad, I've started to fit time in after the kids have gone to bed.

I like the book and I'm progressing better than I expected. I tried once before and got nothing frustration. This time it's great!

End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??

#1978568 - 10/25/12 04:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I was one of the slow ones. It took me two years to get through it, and I practiced every day. But I had never played an instrument before, am evidently not very musically talented, and started from scratch at 63. Now I've been on Book 2 for two years and I'm not even close to finishing. It's not easy, but I love it anyway.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1978570 - 10/25/12 04:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've been on Faber since January and started Alfred's, um one two months ago? At the rate I'm going I might be done by this time next year. Not really sure.

I don't really care how long it takes as long as I learn the basics solidly and have fun while doing it!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1978612 - 10/25/12 05:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Morte Offline

Loc: Israel
I'm currently taking piano lessons(had 2 so far) and work with The Piano Handbook in between, I'm close to finish learning the last piece in Unit 1, for now I'm doing fine, but I was wondering, given the fast pace this book progresses, is it possible to keep up with it for long?

If not, can you recommend a book that contains easy classical/jazz pieces(no children's songs, or anything as boring) with progressing difficulty?

Edited by Morte (10/25/12 05:55 PM)

-Albert Einstein

#1978765 - 10/26/12 03:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Morte]
fliper Offline

Here are some books mentioned in this thread, as supplement to
the Alfred Basic Adult course or Alfred AIO Piano Adult Course

Alfred's Greatest Hits Book 1
Alfred's Pop Songbook Book 1
Alfred's Sacred Book 1
Alfred's Jazz, Blues and Rags
Piano Handbook by Humphries (I have this one, CD with nice sound, I did not start to play it yet)
My First Book of Classical Music
Alfred All Time Favorites (I have this one, only play the first two pieces)

Faber Adult Piano Adventures (Method Book, as Alfred)
Bastien Piano Basics Book 1 (Method Book, as Alfred)

The first two books are the most popular in this thread. Each piece has the piece number of Alfred Piano Book you should know to play it.

#1978767 - 10/26/12 04:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: MonkeyMark]
fliper Offline

I'm not sure how fast people normally progress through Alfred's...

I did not have previous learning and I took almost two years to go to page 129 "The Stranger". I try to practice every day, about 1 hour, sometimes less.
See this thread
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/printthread/Board/30/main/116114/type/thread.html

#1979584 - 10/28/12 08:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
MonkeyMark Offline

Ok, just started using the damper/sustain pedal.

No problem I thought, wrong!
Adding something as simple as the pedal in has completely thrown my hands off, it is fun though.

End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??

#1979646 - 10/28/12 12:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Troubledclef Offline

I'm glad I read these posts. I was beginning to feel like something was wrong that I was taking so long to get through Alfred's first book.

I do like to play from the Faber Classical book, and when I need help I google 'supermangino' and the song name, he has a great way of explaining it.

I decided to go back to the beginning of the Alfred's book and start over, and my stuggles started at lullabye, but I am now onto Jericho.

#1985082 - 11/10/12 03:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well I decided to back track and go to the beginning of Alfred and Faber to work on my rhythm and dynamics. Faber is going great (mind you I already worked through all these pages before!) but Alfred, well uck.

I'm on that King Welsucs or whatever you call him. And that stupid little two bar ditty has got my number. It sounds freaking terrible! I have it up to 72 ish on the metronome and am fighting to make the half notes sound decent. The two bar below it in p is okay, no problems there (I don't remember what it's called.)

How fast would you get that King W song going to? I'm wondering what even speed I should aim for here.

Which reminds me, why o why, do method books put in totally useless markings called lively or serious or flowing? Why can they not just use normal markings so the rest of the planet have a clue what they are actually aiming for? Is it alegro or adante?

Excuse the horrid spelling.

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

Page 167 of 196 < 1 2 ... 165 166 167 168 169 ... 195 196 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (bfb, aesop, 36251, barbaram, Al LaPorte, bennevis, 26 invisible), 1372 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295104 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
Today at 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
Today at 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
Today at 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission