Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
82 registered (A Guy, Almaviva, 31 invisible), 1213 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 207 < 1 2 3 4 ... 206 207 >
Topic Options
#1070167 - 01/29/07 12:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
why am i blue i remember well. i don't particularly like the blues, ragtime or jazz but for some reason i pick up on them quickly. same thing for legatto and stacatto. i can do legatto with one hand and stacatto with the other without thinking so my teacher sticks me with stuff like that.

anywayyyy if i remember correctly it's the rythym that's a little tricky for why am i blue? i couldn't get the rythym right away so i did it the old fashioned way played the right hand and got a nice syncopated rythym there. the left hand was fairly easy but i practiced it anyway by itself. then of course i put both hands together and i didn't get the rythym right at the start but i did after a few tries. once you get it one time and it sounds right you'll be able to get it for the rest of the measures.

it'll get better though. i'm finding book 2 easier than book one so those struggles you're going through are going to pay off. also book 2 has those type of pieces so it won't be the last time you see them. alfreds seems to be repetitive imo. so once you get it down the ones to come will be a piece of cake.

do you have the disc for that book? mine came with a disc if you don't have it, i'll post the pieces you're having trouble with so you can have a listen. \:D

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1070168 - 01/29/07 03:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by loly:
do you have the disc for that book? mine came with a disc if you don't have it, i'll post the pieces you're having trouble with so you can have a listen. \:D [/b]
I dont have the disc. And I think my left hand is my problem. It just wont work on its own...lol The way things are going I might be in book one for a loooog time...

Thanks for the reply

Mark

#1070169 - 01/29/07 05:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Bob Griffin Offline

Loc: Sacramento, California
Mark, start any new song so slow that you think you are going to fall asleep doing it. Take maybe three or four bars and make sure you get every note right. Go as slow as you have to in order to play every note correctly. After playing it correctly(four bars)four times in a row, increase the speed very slightly, and then more and then more until you get it up to speed. Make sure you have NO tension in your body, anywere. Tension causes lack of speed and misnotes. Do not go on to the next four bars until you have the first four completely correct. The speed will come with confidence and familiarity and before you know it your fingers will just react from memory and you will come up to speed. This is something I have to do as I am always in a hurry to get through a song and get to speed. I was training myself to be under stress and misnote. Some songs I never got right. If you do the above, you will find your progress actually much faster. Try it.

#1070170 - 01/29/07 05:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Griffin:
If you do the above, you will find your progress actually much faster. Try it. [/b]
Sounds like a plan Bob, thanks for the advise.

Mark

#1070171 - 01/29/07 09:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mark,

ill post the song up and link it by tomorrow so you can listen to the rythym that might help you a bit.

i brought my book 1 out and played it it brought back good memories. wish we lived in the same city it would be neat to get together and help.

#1070172 - 01/29/07 10:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Mark,

ill post the song up and link it by tomorrow so you can listen to the rythym that might help you a bit.

i brought my book 1 out and played it it brought back good memories. wish we lived in the same city it would be neat to get together and help. [/b]
Thanks, but if one us has to travel. I'm going to Florida!!

Looking forward to the links...

#1070173 - 01/30/07 04:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

he he he it's a bit nippy down here right now.

here's the link hope this helps you, if you need anymore from book 1 let me know

http://www.box.net/shared/5vprn2k8l3

#1070174 - 01/30/07 08:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
he he he it's a bit nippy down here right now.

here's the link hope this helps you, if you need anymore from book 1 let me know

http://www.box.net/public/xfr0fhh71x [/b]
Well its single digits here tonight.

That was great, thanks! It would be nice if we could get all of book one songs here for everyone. Anyone willing to upload, go for it.

#1070175 - 01/30/07 10:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

yewwwwwwww that's alot of pieces not sure box.net would let me upload them all.

give me a list by name since my book is the all in one and the pages don't match. that one piece was on page 116 of my book and i'll try to get them uploaded.

#1070176 - 01/30/07 02:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
yewwwwwwww that's alot of pieces not sure box.net would let me upload them all.

give me a list by name since my book is the all in one and the pages don't match. that one piece was on page 116 of my book and i'll try to get them uploaded. [/b]
I didn't mean for you to do all the work...maybe others here too...lol

Thanks!

Mark

#1070177 - 01/31/07 05:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
OrdinaryGirl Offline

Loc: Arizona
I haven't bought the discs. I feel a bit like that is cheating. Sort of akin to having my teacher play the piece for me and then playing it myself - which he won't do. If I can hear the rhythm playing it isn't the issue. Seems to me a big part of learning (at least if we are learning this way and not by ear) is counting things out slowing and figuring out how they sound. Especially since part of the goal, or at least mine, is to evenutally not have to take lessons and be able to pick things up and work them out for myself.

Any opinions???

#1070178 - 02/01/07 09:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My opinion is I wouldn't categorize it as cheating and more like a helpful tool when you just can't get it right.

In essence everyone is different but we're all trying to reach a goal of learning to play the instrument.

I personally will try my best to figure it out but if I reach a point of frustration I will use the disc (I've used it twice by the way) or I will ask my teacher to play that section. I don't feel any less for having done so.

#1070179 - 02/01/07 05:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I personally will try my best to figure it out but if I reach a point of frustration I will use the disc (I've used it twice by the way) or I will ask my teacher to play that section. I don't feel any less for having done so. [/b]
You link definitely helped. Hearing the song helped it click...

Today was one of those good practice days when you feel you made some progress. Some days you just shake your head and say &&^%%$$^@##@* :lol:

Mark

#1070180 - 02/01/07 08:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
John WI Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
It is soooo good to hear from people who are "true" beginners, like me!

#1070181 - 02/01/07 09:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John WI:
It is soooo good to hear from people who are "true" beginners, like me! [/b]
Thats why were here John...welcome...

Are you in the Alfred book and hows it going?

Mark

#1070182 - 02/05/07 10:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Well I finally connected with the teacher and did I get my butt kicked regarding timing...

#1070183 - 02/10/07 10:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
zoso Offline

Loc: O'fallon Il
After lots of practice the past few weeks I'm within 10 pages of completing book one. I had been stuck half way throuth it for months then something just clicked and shifting between the positions got a lot easier. Its hard not to race through the rest of it so I can start book two!

#1070184 - 02/10/07 12:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zoso:
After lots of practice the past few weeks I'm within 10 pages of completing book one. I had been stuck half way throuth it for months then something just clicked and shifting between the positions got a lot easier. Its hard not to race through the rest of it so I can start book two! [/b]
Congrats!

Glad its just not me. I've been hanging arounf pages 65-75 for weeks and can't move on...

I'm looking forward to breaking though...

Keep us posted...

Mark

#1070185 - 02/11/07 11:49 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Choppin' Offline

Loc: London
Does anyone know if I can get MIDI files of the songs in Adult Basic 1? Mine didn't come with a CD for some reason.

Piano Blog - http://girliehands.wordpress.com

Measurement of my laziness ...but I will return!

#1070186 - 02/11/07 01:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

choppin

give me a list of the 5 songs you will be working on including what you're working on right now and I'll post them for you.

after you've downloaded them I'll post another 5 and so on.

i need the names of the first five songs though because if you don't have the all in one course our pages won't match

loly

#1070187 - 02/11/07 04:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Choppin' Offline

Loc: London
hey loly!

I have basic adult level 1.

Here are 5 songs I will be working on...

Mary Ann
Rockets
What Can I Share
When the saints go marching in
When the saints go marching in (LH and RH swapped)

It would be great if you can help me out. Thanks!

Piano Blog - http://girliehands.wordpress.com

Measurement of my laziness ...but I will return!

#1070188 - 02/11/07 06:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

okie dokie look for them sometime tonight. i'll have a link for you. glad i could help

#1070189 - 02/11/07 06:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

loly, if you get a chance I could use chiapanecas the mexican hat dance.

Thanks
Mark

#1070190 - 02/11/07 07:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Links to copyrighted material deleted.

#1070191 - 02/11/07 07:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Links deleted.

#1070192 - 02/11/07 08:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
chiapanecas

[/b]
You are the best loly!!!

Links deleted.

#1070193 - 02/11/07 09:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Gingerbaker Offline

Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while and thought I would post to this thread. I find this forum helpful and motivating.

I little history, I started January 2006, Schaums adult level one and learned the first 30 pages in 2 weeks. My instructor was way too slow and would not ramp up his sessions. After 3 weeks I bailed and went looking for another teacher. She started me on Alfred's Adult Basic Cousre book 2 only to challenge me and see how I would do. If it was too hard we would go to Book 1. In March, 06, I was laid off from work and spent 4-6 hours/day practicing for the next 6 months. My teacher ramped everything up including theory. It took 4 months to complete Book 2.
September, 06 working again but laid off December 22. Back to 6 hours/day practice.

I left her for a college level teacher last month. We started on classical stuff and heavy drills and Hanon while working in book 3, page 24 now.
I have memorized Bach's Menuet in G and Schumanns Frolicher Landmann. I did the Menuet in G at a recital and bombed. I was so nervous I don't remember playing the tune.

Besides book 3 I'm working on Bachs Preludium 1, E. Satie, Gymnopedie 1, Mozart's, Seranade [Eine Kleine Nachtmusik]. After these I'm going on to Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise.

I hope to play Canon in D and Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude at a friends wedding in September.

I'm looking to put together a group of adult students to hang out, talk about playing, playing for each other and maybe some cheese and wine. Maybe once a month. I live in the Pottstown area in PA. Anyone from that area and would there be any interest?

Ginger

#1070194 - 02/11/07 09:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gingerbaker:
Hello everyone, I have been lurking for a while and thought I would post to this thread. I find this forum helpful and motivating.

I'm looking to put together a group of adult students to hang out, talk about playing, playing for each other and maybe some cheese and wine. Maybe once a month. I live in the Pottstown area in PA. Anyone from that area and would there be any interest?

Ginger [/b]
Welcome...the way you are practicing your next job will be a music teacher! To be in Book 3 so fast is excellent..congrats...

#1070195 - 02/11/07 10:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
Amazing work, Ginger! It sounds like you are having a great time and making wonderful progress.

Welcome to the forum. You can do a search in the community directory and see who is around your area from PianoWorld. You also might ask your teacher to make an announcement at any of the local organizations she's in. Certainly other teachers have adult students who would be interested in getting together.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1070196 - 02/11/07 10:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
wysiwyg Offline

Loc: Southern Terminus of the Wella...
Hi there everyone. New guy here. Going through this thread brought back some memories. I am also on the Alfred's Books and I agree with some of what you people have been saying about some song just bog you down, but others can come as easy as pie.

I am into the 3rd Book and I am into my 3rd year of piano lessons. My piano teacher has me playing the Adagio in A Major. Came real easy but thankfully it was slow in tempo. I'm still scared of the Metronome. \:\)

I'll have to keep reading through the forum.
Cheers.

Page 2 of 207 < 1 2 3 4 ... 206 207 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
12/20/14 09:17 PM
Guide to skills level
by Gemgem
12/20/14 08:55 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160029 Topics
2350015 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission