Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1983439 - 11/06/12 01:23 PM Player or non player piano?
jennie_hp Offline

Loc: California
Hi All,

If given a choice between 2 similar pianos at similar price, one has a PianoDisc player installed, and the other doesn't, which would you choose? The PianoDisc is not a modern system, it's about 20 years old (PianoDisc pds 128); however it still work just fine. I guess I'm worry about the player system altering the sound or touch of the piano or that it would cost more to maintain the piano with the player installed.

It would be nice to insert a disc and listen during a party since my repertoire is limited, but is it worth the extra trouble? Thanks.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1983440 - 11/06/12 01:26 PM Re: Player or non player piano? [Re: jennie_hp]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Modern players do not make much difference to the sound or playability of a piano. The amount of extra work to service them as pianos is usually minimal. I do not know about the cost of maintaining the player mechanism.

That said, the biggest advantage to them might be if they can record. That can give you good feedback on your playing. If you just want it for parties, you might be better off hiring pianists when you need them.

#1983537 - 11/06/12 06:09 PM Re: Player or non player piano? [Re: jennie_hp]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
I would not hesitate to go with the player. I have thousands of piano rolls on my laptop, and play them through my Clavinova.. I would enjoy a player acoustic grand, not so much to hear myself played back, but to play other pieces that I would like to learn, and be able to slow down the track to more carefully understand the technique.

#1983545 - 11/06/12 06:55 PM Re: Player or non player piano? [Re: jennie_hp]
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New England, USA
Everything else equal, I would go for the piano without. I love electronics but not in a piano. It takes away part of the charm for me.

#1983725 - 11/07/12 10:54 AM Re: Player or non player piano? [Re: jennie_hp]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Your party guests will be far more pleased and impressed if you hire an actual pianist. So if that is all you want a player piano for, I would say, No. You might feel better, too, at the thought of doing your part to keep the industry alive.

As far as recording goes, if you have a recording AP, it could be nice. Then again, an actual digital recorder also does a good job, for a lot less money and trouble, and with more flexibility of use. And a decent stereo, with a good music collection will give you far more bang for the buck, for listening.

You didn't mention MIDI, so I won't either... nor, DAW software. It is a big subject, for another discussion.

If you use the player a lot to listen to your piano, it does increase the wear on the instrument, and that will require more maintenance. But, what's a piano for anyway. Maybe the vibrations from the player will knock some of the dust off the case. I see a lot of player pianos in stores (like departments stores, restaurants, etc) which are apparently dead, though they were once used. That tells a story, though I'm not sure what it is.

It's exciting to have this kind of choice in front of you, jennie. When you have these similar pianos inspected by a tech before you make an offer, you'll have more information with which to make a judgment.

#1983806 - 11/07/12 03:28 PM Re: Player or non player piano? [Re: jennie_hp]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
If they are at a similar price is the non-player piano of higher quality (i.e., larger)? I'd choose the non-player piano in that case. The player system is interesting but not interesting enough for me... more like a liability.

#1984087 - 11/08/12 09:58 AM Re: Player or non player piano? [Re: gnuboi]
jennie_hp Offline

They are both the same brand and model pianos. What sort of liability if they are similar in price? If the player system broke and I don't repair it, wouldn't the piano still play as if it was a non player piano?

#1984185 - 11/08/12 01:54 PM Re: Player or non player piano? [Re: jennie_hp]
Mark Fontana Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
PDS-128 is a rather old model of PianoDisc system, and due to a fire at PianoDisc's facility a few years ago, parts are scarce. If you call for support, PianoDisc will just recommend replacing it with their newer iQ system. You could always enjoy it while it lasts and then remove it or replace it with a newer system. Properly installed, it shouldn't affect the touch of the piano. But it's old enough that it's not worth paying much of a premium for. And if the piano with the player system was ever in a commercial setting (hotel lobby etc.) and allowed to play for hours on end, I would definitely steer clear of that one.

#1984192 - 11/08/12 02:07 PM Re: Player or non player piano? [Re: jennie_hp]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Your party guests will be far more pleased and impressed if you hire an actual pianist. So if that is all you want a player piano for, I would say, No. You might feel better, too, at the thought of doing your part to keep the industry alive.

+1

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1986365 - 11/13/12 09:47 PM Re: Player or non player piano? [Re: jennie_hp]
BKr Offline

The decision should be guided by your usage of a piano. Do you want to listen and have an instrument play when having guests over or a piano for your playing enjoyment? To me the joy of a piano is learning to play it as this is a life long process and a hobby you can enjoy forever.

#1986615 - 11/14/12 11:58 AM Re: Player or non player piano? [Re: jennie_hp]
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
It would still play like a normal piano, but maybe harder to sell later as the technology gets older or broken.

#1986781 - 11/14/12 08:18 PM Re: Player or non player piano? [Re: jennie_hp]
jennie_hp Offline

I decided against getting the player piano for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. Thank you all for your opinions.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (anotherscott, Alex1, accordeur, AndrewJCW, 44 invisible), 1653 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75566 Members
42 Forums
156235 Topics
2294533 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
teaching in a studio vs independently from home
by JRoberts
7 minutes 45 seconds ago
First time piano buyer - please help!
by Ksi
18 minutes 53 seconds ago
Verituner Data Download?
by A443
20 minutes 12 seconds ago
Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory
by Weiyan
33 minutes 16 seconds ago
Practicing slow is only part of it
by Sweet06
58 minutes 8 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission