2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:a few years back after a 30+ year absence
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Prelude Opus 28 number 15 (Raindrop)
Composer:Chopin
Duration:06:04
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein Model L
Recording method:USB mic to Audacity
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I just started some Chopin recently and it's ben a lot of fun. Here's my try at the "Raindrop" prelude. A few bobbles here and there, but I tried to make it as musical as I could, which isn't easy!

This is my "new" 1927 Bechstein model L, a small grand that I rebuilt. I sold my old Yamaha upright - my piano is getting older, just like me! This is my first try at recording a grand piano, and it's obvious I have a lot to learn. Next project - upgrade my recording process.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:10+
Title of piece:Elves' Dance
Composer:Edvard Grieg
Duration:01:46
Source of music:Edvard Grieg, Complete Lyric Pieces for Piano (Dover Publications)
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1M Grand Piano
Recording method:Zoom H2 and Audacity
Additional info:This is my second PW recital using my Yamaha Grand Piano. I selected Grieg's music because I thought it showcased my piano's sound in a new way. I have been watching an excellent biography of Grieg. "Ballad for Edvard Grieg" Leif Ove Andsnes

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Copper
Experience:7
Title of piece:What a Wonderful World
Composer:George Weiss and Bob Thiele
Duration:02:18
Source of music:Favorite Piano Fake Book
Instrument used:Yamaha P-250
Recording method:Connected the Yamaha P-250 to the computer

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Starr Keys
Experience:3 years 9 mos. this incarnation
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0D2AtA2iN4&feature=g-crec-u
Title of piece:Broken Hearted Me
Composer:Randy Goodrum
Duration:03:54
Source of music:By Ear Arrangement
Instrument used:Casio PX330
Recording method:Zoom Q4
Additional info:The day I started working on the song I had a conversation with my sister who was probably in one of the worst places I'd ever seen her in my life. She had lost her husband five years ago to Cancer and had been seeing someone for a year she really liked, who had suddenly broken it off because she wasn't able to fully commit to him. She felt she needed more time to process the loss of her 25 year marriage. Her double heartache is what inspired my work on this song at the time.

This song was a huge hit for country-pop artist Ann Murray in 1979. I do it very differently. The cocktail jazz stylings portion of this arrangement is the result of about a month of improvisation. I rarely did anything the same each time I sat down at the piano during that time but at the end of it, I knew how I wanted to play more than 50% of the song. The rest was my usual tedious treacherous method of trial and error crafting.

With the exception of two portraits of my sister, done by her friend Doug Jamieson, all the drawings and paintings are done by her. The photos are taken by her and her friends. Everything I used, I used with her permission.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Valencia
Experience:Last took lessons almost 25 years ago. Been back to playing for about a year.
Title of piece:Work in Progress --Chopin's Etude 25/11
Duration:01:35
Instrument used:old digital keyboard.
Recording method:My digital keyboard has no external speakers, so plugged the keyboard into a radio for speakers, then recorded using a basic digital recorder beside the speakers. Uploaded the file and using audacity cut out the middle section.
Additional info:This is just a submission for fun as the piece is not near put together yet. I was inspired to try Winter Wind after watching Paul Barton's youtube tutorial. I have a very very long way to go, and may never be able to play it close to tempo, but I still enjoy playing it. This piece has been on the backburner lately, so I thought submitting a snippet for the first and last pages would get me in gear to work on the rest of it. I have arthritis in my hands so it is slow going to learn this piece.

There are a lot of things that need work--obviously tempo and bringing out the melody in the left hand. And wrt to the rest of the piece, tempo, accuracy and memory. Any advice would be welcome.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:jotur/Cathy Turner
Experience:2 years of lessons in my early teens, 30+ years off, playing for dances since 1995
Title of piece:Alexander's Ragtime Band
Composer:Irving Berlin
Duration:02:53
Source of music:Sheet music, pdf of original downloaded from the Lester Levy collection at Johns Hopkins
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-100
Recording method:digital to PC, audacity
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Well, this is a one-take wonder! laugh This is the only time I actually got a recording, and I'm just not up to figuring out why. Something in the connections somewhere. Sigh.

This was a piece some friends of mine and I did for a 4th of July gig, only then another piano player did the bass and a trumpeter and I did the melody. But it's such an ideal piece for the assisted living/Alzheimer's places I play that I kept it as a solo. I probably play it just about like this, too laugh But pieces from around this time (1911) are favorites of mine. I also play Geo. M. Cohan's "Yankee Doodle Boy" and "You're a Grand Old Rag", also 4th of July pieces. It's too bad I don't do vocals, because the lyrics are a riot. Here's ARB:

Verse 1:
Oh ma honey, oh ma honey,
Better hurry and let's meander.
Ain't you goin', ain't you goin'?
To the leader man, ragged meter man?
Let me take you to Alexander's
Grand stand brass band,
Ain't you comin' along?

Chorus:
Come on and hear, come on and hear,
Alexander's Ragtime Band.
It's the best band in the land!
They can play a bugle call like you never heard before.
So natural that you want to go to war.
That's just the bestest band what am, honey lamb.
Come on along, come on along,
Let me take you by the hand.
Up to the man, up to the man,
Who's the leader of the band!
And if you care to hear the Swanee River played in ragtime,
Alexander's Ragtime Band!

Verse 2:
There's a fiddle with notes that screeches.
Like a chicken, like a chicken.
And the clarinet, is a coloured pet.
Come and listen, come and listen,
To a classical band what's peaches.
Come now, somehow,
Better hurry along!

As for lunch, let's see - oh, I know. All Trader Joe's, all the time.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Coldsalmon
Experience:3.5 years
Title of piece:Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2
Duration:04:36
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Korg SP-250 + Pianoteq Bluethner
Recording method:Pianoteq
Additional info:I have been working on this piece for way too long, and I offer it here with mistakes included. I would have recorded it on my brand new 1953 Baldwin Acrosonic that I bought last Thursday, but it was destroyed last Sunday in Hurricane Sandy. That's life, I suppose.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:windywindy
Experience:8 months plus many years off and on
Title of piece:Love Is All Around
Composer:Curtis, Sonny
Duration:01:26
Source of music:musicnotes.com
Instrument used:Brodmann PE187
Recording method:SM-58 vocal mic (sorry) to Tascam US-122 to Audacity

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Teodor
Experience:3 years
Title of piece:Tereza's Inspiration (Original Piece)
Composer:Tereza Jurikova & Teodor Tenchev
Duration:01:54
Source of music:Played by ear.
Additional info:Take 12901390123092, I can't capture what I want with this but you will hear at least part of the mood I wanted to create.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:BillM
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNEymzUfsEo&feature=plcp
Title of piece:When You Wish Upon A Star
Composer:Leigh Harline and Ned Washington
Duration:02:59
Source of music:Fake Book, improvised accompanyment
Instrument used:Roland KR17M Digital Grand
Recording method:Zoom Q3.
Additional info:This is my favorite Disney song. I couldn't decide whether to play or sing the bridge so I played it the first time through and sung the repeat. I hope you like it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Bessel
Experience:getting close to 2 years...
Title of piece:The Happy Farmer (Returning from Work), and Wild Horseman
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:01:31
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P-80
Recording method:line in to Garageband on Mac.
Additional info:These are from Schumann's "Album for the Young." I started these many months ago at the suggestion of my then-teacher (who, due to his health, I'm no longer taking lessons with)... you'd think that I would be able to nail them by now! It's been a many months since my last lesson, and I'm putting less time in at the keys, for one reason or another. Recording for this recital emphasized for me that practice time really matters... it was really difficult to get past the red dot! My wild horse stumbled, but I don't think he broke a leg, which is good. Anyway, I feel motivated to practice more, which is a Good Thing!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:PianoStudent88
Experience:10 years self-taught as a child; hiatus of 30 years; one and a half years as an adult with 15 months of lessons.
Title of piece:Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115
Composer:Christian Petzold
Duration:03:53
Source of music:Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, urtext edition published by Henle
Instrument used:Baldwin Hamilton upright
Recording method:Olympus Digital Voice Recorder WS-802
Additional info:This is the famous Minuet in G major, BWV Anh. 114, and its paired Minuet in G minor, BWV Anh. 115. They are played as a da capo set: first the Minuet in G major, then the Minuet in G minor, then the Minuet in G major again but without the repeats.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mar_red
Experience:More than 5
Title of piece:Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley.
Composer:W. Kazanecki / J. Fred Coots
Duration:04:46
Source of music:Sheet music / lead sheet
Instrument used:DP Roland FP-7
Recording method:DP to audacity
Additional info:Dom (Home) by W. Kazanecki is the main musical theme from a polish TV film under the same title.
It is a beautiful tune so I would like to present it to you.
It is my first piece played from a sheet music. I tried very much not to change it too much smile.

As to the second piece: Christmas is coming so as a kind of a bonus I added this lovely Christmas song (when should we submit Christmas tunes?).
One year ago I did my arrangements of two such songs. The first I submitted at the 25th recital now it is time for the second one.

I am aware that it ought to be cleaner, more precise but if this tune makes you smile and your foot taps I will be more than satisfied!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam Rose (Shmuel R)
Experience:2 years and a couple months
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ax3RIrrzg
Title of piece:Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor
Composer:CPE Bach
Duration:01:03
Source of music:Sheet music; played from memory
Instrument used:6'1" Yamaha C3, freshly tuned and just regulated!
Recording method:2x Shure KSM141 mics into a Zoom H4n
I played with mic positioning a bit, and I'm happy enough with the way this sounds. Feel free to make suggestions though. I'm talking to you wouter79 wink
Additional info:This is a deceptively tricky piece. I started it thinking it would be easy, but I've found it quite difficult. My biggest challenge (as you'll no doubt hear) is keeping it rhythmically and dynamically even, and making it work musically. I did an ok job, but there's still room for improvement. The fingering for this piece is very natural in some areas, and very awkward in others, which makes for inconsistent playing (speeding up and slowing down, etc). My RH 4th finger is still very swollen from a softball collision in the outfield two and a half weeks ago, but I made do with what I have. This piece is a wonderful exercise for many of my weaknesses, such as legato/staccato, rhythmic evenness, dynamically even runs, and proper pedaling (in this piece, that means just about not pedaling at all).

I haven't eaten lunch yet. Gotta go grab something now, because I'm HUNGRY!!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Norrec, Tim
Experience:One year, then I took a year+ break, now I've been playing again for about 4 months.
Title of piece:Solitude
Composer:Michiru Oshima
Duration:01:18
Source of music:I used the sheet music found on this page. The second from the bottom is 'Solitude'. This is music from the anime Full Metal Alchemist.

http://ichigos.com/sheets/147
Instrument used:Roland RP301 Digital Piano
Recording method:Connected to Input/Output using a Behringer Audio-to-USB interface. Recorded onto my laptop using Audacity.
Additional info:The last recital I submitted 'Beaming Sunlight' which was another Full Metal Alchemist song. I wanted to do something different for this recital but the two pieces I was working on were no where near ready. Following the previous recital I also decided to get a piano teacher so now I have less time to practice 'actual' pieces, but I'm learning more. So it was a trade off.

Solitude I learned immediately following Beaming Sunlight. I recorded a version 3 months back to send home and moved on to other pieces. When I knew I wasn't going to have anything ready for this recital I decided to fall back on something I knew I could play. I re-recorded my playing it, this time with a lot of pedal. In fact, my foot never lifted off the pedal. Last recital I used no pedal because I felt it was 'cheating' but now I've perhaps swung too far the other way. I think it sounds good though so I'm ok with it.

Also, I have a digital piano now and was able to record directly from it. The last recital was recorded by carrying the keyboard into the other room and putting my desktop microphone right on top of the speaker. I'm much happier with how my new setup sounds. I have to add 2-3dB of gain in Audacity, but that's easy enough to do.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mile Hi Steve
Experience:On again off again for years along with 8 months public performance
Title of piece:Halloween Potpourri
Composer:Various(Moroder, Carpenter, Barber)
Duration:03:23
Source of music:Play by ear improvisation mosaic
Instrument used:1994 Yamaha Clavinova
Recording method:Instrument analog out to laptop audio in, along with digital reverb courtesy of the Android opperating system heh heh
Additional info:This is a Halloween medley I put together and performed for a little talent show my church put on Halloween night. It uses a few layered sounds (piano, organ, harpsichord). I was really excited to use organ in the piece since my grandfather was an organist and I love organ music as well as piano, but never get much of a chance to play organ. This is all a solo even though it changes instrument sounds on the fly. That was a lucky break I got with the Clavinova, you can change instrument sounds without disrupting the current audio stream.

Long story short (TOO LATE!) many people will probably recognize the infamous Mike Meyers halloween theme from the movies but I bet few will recognize the ominous sounding Scarface theme variations at the beginning. And then since I was so thrilled to have a legitimate use for playing organ I decided to blast the audience with a grand organ finale at full volume.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission