Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
160 registered (accordeur, Achilleas, ajames, Alexancho, 34 invisible), 1887 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1986998 - 11/15/12 09:17 AM The order of pieces for a recital
DonaldLee Offline

Hello all!

I've just gotten an exciting request from my piano professor. He wants me to give a full length recital at the end of the year because of the progress that I've made so far. I have several pieces in my repertoire right now, but I have no idea how to make a cohesive program out of them. Pieces that I've learned so far this semester include:

Sonata #1- Ginastera
Sonata #26- Beethoven
Impromptu no. 3 op. 142- Schubert
Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2- Liszt with an original cadenza
Prelude & Fugue no. 20 (WTCII)- Bach

That alone is a little over an hour's worth of music. I also have these in my repertoire from high school:

Prelude op. 23 no. 5- Rach
La Campanella- Liszt
Concert Paraphrase on the Turkish March- Volodos
Ballade- Debussy

Now, I'll be learning another 1-2 hours worth of music next semester, but I wouldn't want to perform it then. Do you all think that there's a decent program amongst all of these vastly different pieces? I was thinking maybe:

Prelude op. 23 no. 5
Prelude and Fugue no. 20
Beethoven Sonata
*intermission*
Ginastera Sonata
Schubert Impromptu
Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2

La campanella and the Turkish March for potential encores

What do you all think?

Donald Lee
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1987175 - 11/15/12 05:08 PM Re: The order of pieces for a recital [Re: DonaldLee]
fledgehog Offline

Loc: West Hartford, CT
I would put the P&F first. Not everyone likes convention, so you may not want to do that but I just think the program would look nicer that way.

#1987181 - 11/15/12 05:16 PM Re: The order of pieces for a recital [Re: DonaldLee]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
I think the hungarian rhapsody would work well first.

#1987219 - 11/15/12 07:24 PM Re: The order of pieces for a recital [Re: DonaldLee]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I would perform at least some of what you're learning next semester because of the time involved with maintaining and bringing your old stuff up to your new level. 1-2 hours of new music plus putting on a recital is would take too much practice time.

#1987229 - 11/15/12 07:57 PM Re: The order of pieces for a recital [Re: DonaldLee]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I would recommend playing your program as is but omitting the Rachmaninov Prelude. I don't think single Rach Prelude make sense anywhere in a recital except an encore.

You could add a piece between the Bach and Beethoven, The only one in your list I would use is the Debussy. Or maybe you could change the order in the first half and do Debussy, Bach, Beethoven?

#1987230 - 11/15/12 07:59 PM Re: The order of pieces for a recital [Re: debrucey]

Originally Posted By: debrucey
I think the hungarian rhapsody would work well first.
Although I think Lisitsa did that(?) at her Albert Hall recital and one of the pianists at the Mannes IKIF did this last summer, I don't really see the point.

#1987235 - 11/15/12 08:10 PM Re: The order of pieces for a recital [Re: DonaldLee]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
She did it with No. 12. I think it works because they work very well as overtures. Pieces that allow the audience to relax and get into the zone without having to concentrate too hard as the music isn't particularly profound or sophisticated. If you listen to Lisitsa's preconcert talk I think she justifies her choice very well.

#1987339 - 11/16/12 05:42 AM Re: The order of pieces for a recital [Re: debrucey]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: debrucey
She did it with No. 12. I think it works because they work very well as overtures. Pieces that allow the audience to relax and get into the zone without having to concentrate too hard as the music isn't particularly profound or sophisticated. If you listen to Lisitsa's preconcert talk I think she justifies her choice very well.

Yes, she played it as a 'prelude' to her main course, in order to allow photographers to click and flash away so that when the serious stuff got underway (starting with Mozart), everyone would be settled down. The HR was left out of the CD because of the noisy clicking, but it's on the DVD.

Lang Lang did the same when he appeared on stage at a rock venue, engulfed by fake smoke.....(goodness knows how he still played all the right notes.... grin).

#1987349 - 11/16/12 06:53 AM Re: The order of pieces for a recital [Re: bennevis]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Speaking of VL, here is a good reason she is one of the greatest virtuosos living today, as her virtuosity serves the music and not the player...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCucnn-95nY

Too many other pianists are "out for speed!"

#1987394 - 11/16/12 10:02 AM Re: The order of pieces for a recital [Re: DonaldLee]
DonaldLee Offline

I wanted to make sure I opened with something that's easy to swallow, like the Rach. I know that it's popular to open with a prelude and fugue, but I've never understood why. Why is this such a common practice?
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#1987416 - 11/16/12 11:00 AM Re: The order of pieces for a recital [Re: DonaldLee]

Originally Posted By: DonaldLee
I wanted to make sure I opened with something that's easy to swallow, like the Rach. I know that it's popular to open with a prelude and fugue, but I've never understood why. Why is this such a common practice?
Probably because for a long time many recitals were more or less done in historical order. That's not so popular now and perhaps considered old fashioned, but I'm not sure your pieces work in some other order(obviously just my opinion). I think the problem with playing a single short piece by one composer is that it makes the program look like a grab bag of pieces with no unity. It's extremely rare in my recital going experience to hear a program with a single short piece a composer.

I checked out the 25+ concerts at last summer's IKIF and only around 2 programs had a single short piece by a composer.
http://www.ikif.org/schedule.aspx

Edited by pianoloverus (11/16/12 11:07 AM)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
collard & collard
by Bob Newbie
11/25/14 03:39 PM
What's your definition of music?
by juliantoha624
11/25/14 03:21 PM
Korg SP250 internal speakers
by Kai C
11/25/14 03:12 PM
Removing scratches from black piano
by pinkfloydhomer
11/25/14 02:12 PM
Pain at the shinbone/tibia
by Johan B
11/25/14 02:04 PM
Forum Stats
77041 Members
42 Forums
159345 Topics
2340701 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission