Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1986954 - 11/15/12 03:59 AM Changing fingers on repeated notes
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I know we have already discussed the topic of changing fingers on repeated notes...
But today I was browsing other ABRSM editions (after buying Beethoven's Sonatas) and I noticed that the description of Chopin's Nocturnes (Fielden/Craxton) says:
In the present edition, fingerings have been inserted to conform with modern practice; the convention of changing fingers on repeated notes has been avoided as far as possible; fingering should be adapted to shape of phrases rather than to mere facility. As in former volumes of this edition, pedalling has received careful attention, and unnecessary repetition of pedalling marks for similar passages has been avoided.

Any thoughts about the convention of changing fingers on repeated notes has been avoided as far as possible? Thanks! smile

Music is my best friend.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1986955 - 11/15/12 04:08 AM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: ChopinAddict]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Say what now? I'm not at all sure I agree with this, but it depends on how many repeated notes are we talking about...

Personally, I do not alter the fingers when I repeat the notes, but my sound and my music is usually harsh enough to allow that... :-/

#1986956 - 11/15/12 04:31 AM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: ChopinAddict]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I think it depends. If there is a strong case for the finger change (ie, it's really too fast a series of notes to play with one finger, may cause unnecessary tension, better aligns the hand from the previous notes/for the next notes, or helps to keep time/meter), then I support changing fingers on repeated notes. Otherwise, I don't really feel it's necessary.

This, I support with my own playing as well. Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't. But for me, it is always a conscious decision whether it makes sense, rather than a lack of technique. I think it's equally important to be able to change fingers, to have that technical ability, and that one is making a musical/mechanical decision, rather than basing their decision on a flaw in or absence of technique.

#1986957 - 11/15/12 04:32 AM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: ChopinAddict]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
My general rule of thumb is not to change fingers on a repeated note if it is part of a slow, lyrical phrase. Unless, changing a finger helps either navigate the dynamic curve or relocate my hand to carry on to the next bit of the phrase.

#1986986 - 11/15/12 08:12 AM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: ChopinAddict]
DonaldLee Offline

It depends on what type of repeated notes we're talking about. Slow ones in a phrase: No change in finger, and I tend to raise the key only slightly above the tone point before depressing it again. Creates a nice legato effect even without the pedal. On fast repeated notes: It depends. In La Campanella, I change fingers on everything. In Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2, I sometimes change fingers, but sometimes I use the same finger (I'm experimenting with the different characters that piece can take on). However, I think it's important to be able to play rapid repeated notes with one finger. Once you've balanced your hand on the key properly, it's almost like a controlled nervous tick that makes it happen. It's this same concept that allows us to play the fast octaves in the Liszt/Schubert Erlkönig, and fast chords like the ones found in the first movement of Beethoven's Sonata op. 81a.
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#1987007 - 11/15/12 09:51 AM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: ChopinAddict]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Changing the fingers on repeated notes changes the sound. There seems to be more clarity and evenness when fingers are changed. It depends on what sound you want to produce.

Deborah

#1987112 - 11/15/12 02:04 PM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: ChopinAddict]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thanks! smile I agree with the replies here. One should differentiate between slow and fast passages. It is just that their description is a bit misleading...

Music is my best friend.

#1987226 - 11/15/12 07:48 PM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: ChopinAddict]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I believe the description alludes to a former pedagogical concept (originating in the 19th century maybe??) where one should always change fingers on repeated notes. This is no longer thought to be so mandatory. Kind of like the practicing with a coin on the back of the hand.

#1987232 - 11/15/12 08:02 PM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: Arghhh]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yes, I agree, that's why they call it a "convention". There are exercises in books like Hanon that reinforce this convention of course, but as one grows one realizes it is not always the best choice. In a really fast passage it would probably also be more difficult to change fingers (apart from the other considerations mentioned in this thread)!

Music is my best friend.

#1987398 - 11/16/12 10:08 AM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: ChopinAddict]
slava_richter Offline

Loc: Providence, RI
For rapid-fire repeated notes, there's no other way than to change fingers. Here's the most perfect demonstration of that imaginable:

#1987405 - 11/16/12 10:26 AM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: ChopinAddict]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I change fingers in almost every case, slow or fast.

#1987678 - 11/17/12 01:08 AM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: ChopinAddict]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
I find that the sound is generally clearer and crisper when the fingers are changed, but this depends on how many notes we're talking about. If it's one or two sets, then it's probably not worth the hassle and the extra trouble.

#1987680 - 11/17/12 01:18 AM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: ChopinAddict]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I always tend to change fingers too (or tended until now at least) (I think it also has to do with exercises in the past, yeah, even Hanon, it's sort of automatic), that's why I was surprised at the original statement, but I intend to buy the book anyway and have a specific look at those passages with repeated notes (not right now though, I am not ordering anything from overseas before Christmas).

Music is my best friend.

#1987687 - 11/17/12 01:39 AM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: ChopinAddict]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
I always tend to change fingers too (or tended until now at least) (I think it also has to do with exercises in the past, yeah, even Hanon, it's sort of automatic), that's why I was surprised at the original statement, but I intend to buy the book anyway and have a specific look at those passages with repeated notes (not right now though, I am not ordering anything from overseas before Christmas).

True, it has a lot to do with practice and tradition, but context is also very important... There shouldn't be a solid rule saying you should or shouldn't do anything, especially when it comes to technique and quality of sound.

#1987690 - 11/17/12 01:51 AM Re: Changing fingers on repeated notes [Re: Bluoh]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

You are right. It is just the first reaction (because of drills), but then one should go deeper. I know that there have been instances where I am sure that I have not changed the fingers, although right now I don't remember where (I am a bit tired this evening).

Music is my best friend.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
YAMAHA U1E polished mahogany
by CYBERSPRITE
10/23/14 05:13 PM
What did you play tonight?
by Johan B
10/23/14 05:10 PM
Novice in love with Kawai and seeking advice!
by Ellisande
10/23/14 05:03 PM
SF Symphony pianist at Steingraeber recital / reception
by master88er
10/23/14 03:31 PM
Ferdinand "???" Piano from Vienna?
by TheloniousPunk
10/23/14 02:20 PM
Who's Online
150 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, anamnesis, 34 invisible), 1586 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76631 Members
42 Forums
158446 Topics
2326886 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission