2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
As I've got a bit of problem with my pinky, I am having trouble stretching to reach the top G and F while maintaining a legato from the 2 note-combo before them.Any suggestions on how to manage thsi would be most welcome!
Thanks
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
A
Would it be completely out there to think this would be easily played with the left hand?

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Well, given that I have to play a sting of eight notes with the left hand, I think it might be just a little tricky to jump up and play that quarter note smile

[Linked Image]

For a moment, forget the 2nd note of the combo: are you able to reach 1 octave with your thumb + pinky?

Learning piano from 01 March 2010 to 2015. Restarting in 2020.
- Ex: Yamaha P-85, Kawai ES-4
- Current: Kawai CA-63
- Videos
- soundcloud
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Cheryl, to maintain the sound of legato, all you have to do is leave ONE note down. Not both. So let go of the thumb.

Edit: Or the forefinger. I can reach this easily so whatever works for you...

Last edited by jazzwee; 11/15/12 12:18 PM.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How about this? If you can playing legato between the two outer notes, maybe don't worry about legato on the inner one. Try letting your 2nd finger off the middle note earlier so you can stretch to reach the top note with your pinkie, while still holding the low note.

Edit: I see jazzwee suggested almost the same thing. But for me, I think it would be easier to do an octave stretch between fingers 1 and 5, rather than a 6th between fingers 2 and 5.

Last edited by MaryBee; 11/15/12 12:20 PM.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hi, cas -

This is a time immemorial problem for me. When I first ran into it in a Joplin piece I ended up leaving out the bottom note of the octave, on the sense that the "harmony" provided by the "inside" note was more important from a listening standpoint. I still play the Joplin that way.

That being said, 5 years later my hand is a little more flexible and I can sometimes do this in a slower piece.

I have also found that the position of my hand relative to the keyboard helps a lot - my pinky is short, so the "stretch" isn't always the problem. I can angle my hand slightly to reach. But when I do that I try also to move my arm/forearm/wrist so that they stay lined up, and to make sure I keep as much "ease" in my body as possible, rather than the tenseness of stretching.

And then there's using the pedal effectively until your hand becomes more flexible, and some day your hand will, in fact, become flexible enough to do this..

But then, I'm glad I don't play classical and I have much more flexibility in how I approach things laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Try lifting your thumb off of the lowest note, and rocking / pivoting on your index finger, keeping that note down with your index finger, and rotating your hand to the right to play the high note, as Jazzwee described in his first example.

You can practice a version of this rotation motion by holding out your hand at arms length and twisting your hand left and right, as if you were turning a shower knob left and right. This is easy to demonstrate in person, don't know if it works by describing it.

A lot of people try to play these things by holding their hand flat and stretching, but that does not always work.

ps...how is the Blues going for you?

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
As the notes are slurred I don't see any reason why you shouldn't hold them together with the pedal.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by supertorpe
For a moment, forget the 2nd note of the combo: are you able to reach 1 octave with your thumb + pinky?

I might add, can you play an octave chord: C-E-G-C? This is critical information to solving your issue.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by timmyab
As the notes are slurred I don't see any reason why you shouldn't hold them together with the pedal.

You can for that jump, but, technically, that would blend all the notes, including the bass, and thus change the sound into a blurry sound, whereas as written the slurs simply mean legato between distinct non-pedaled notes.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by timmyab
That was my thought. Since the notes are all part of the same chord structure, and none of the first beat notes are marked staccato, you could use the pedal to smooth the transition and then release it on the second beat to play the staccato (which gives you time to hop back down). If you don't want any of the notes to sound pedalled, you could wait until you strike the C to put the pedal down. Then, none of the notes would sound like they were held by the pedal. Not sure how fast this is, but that is an option.

If you're close to hitting all the notes, stretching will work too, just not immediately.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Wow, what a lot of replies! Thanks!
I was out for lessons (teaching not receiving!) and came home to so many ideas.

In order of your questions:
supertrope: are you able to reach 1 octave with your thumb + pinky?

YES

Jazzwee: all you have to do is leave ONE note down. Not both.
Ok, well that helps a lot right there!!!

MaryBee: I think it will be easier for me to stretch the octave too rather than from the Bflat to the G.

Cathy/Jotur I think angling my hand is going to have to happen... I'm going to have to work at this. It is nice to know that you've been working at managing this and having some success! This piece is Beethoven, and so quite structured!

Rocket88 - I see what you are getting at with the pivoting, thanks.
I haven't been doing much on the blues as I've been getting to know my new teacher and focusing on some foundation techniques that I need before moving on. We've been reviewing older pieces and looking at where I had troubles and have been ironing things out. I've seen a great change in my playing in the last month, so I feel it has been worth delaying the blues for a bit. I hope to plunge in soon!!!

"Timmytab: As the notes are slurred I don't see any reason why you shouldn't hold them together with the pedal.".... The problem is that the piece is actually very fast and the pedal isn't used.

Derulux: Can you play the 4 note C-E-G-C? This is critical information to solving your issue.
No, I can't.

Brian Lucas: you could use the pedal to smooth the transition and then release it on the second beat to play the staccato (which gives you time to hop back down). If you don't want any of the notes to sound pedalled, you could wait until you strike the C to put the pedal down. Then, none of the notes would sound like they were held by the pedal. Not sure how fast this is, but that is an option.

Well the target speed is quite fast, so I I realy think that pedalling will not be an option!

Thank you everyone very much. I'll work on the suggestions and let you know how I manage!

[Linked Image]

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by casinitaly

In order of your questions:
supertrope: are you able to reach 1 octave with your thumb + pinky?

YES

Jazzwee: all you have to do is leave ONE note down. Not both.
Ok, well that helps a lot right there!!!

Derulux: Can you play the 4 note C-E-G-C? This is critical information to solving your issue.
No, I can't.

Ah, okay. So your hand size is in that very narrow gap where you can play an octave, but not a chord. That leaves you with two choices. Try Jazzwee's suggestion first. I have a feeling if your hand is too small to play the chord, the issue is the 2-5 distance, not the 1-5 distance. So, try holding down the octave. Not ideal, but manageable.

If that doesn't work, your only other option is the pedal. You don't need to press it down all the way.. just lightly lift the dampers so you get a sense of legato between the leap, then release. It will minimize muddled sound, while helping achieve what it is you want to achieve.

Hope this was helpful! smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Derelux, you are right, it is the 2-5 combo that I can't manage. Your advice is very clear - and indeed helpful! Thanks again
C

[Linked Image]

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
I do encounter impossible legato streches quite often. And sometimes the pedal would ruin the sound because of what's going on the other hand. My teacher adviced me that even when it's not possible to achieve physical legato, you can still fake a legato effect by the way you play the notes in succession. So I practice that...

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks outo -- sorry you have the same trouble, but glad you're working on a solution!
I think there is a lot of practice for this piece in my future!
I will focus on the long term benefits of mastering this problem.
It may be that in a year or so with improved technique my stretch will be better too. We shall see!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by outo
I do encounter impossible legato streches quite often. And sometimes the pedal would ruin the sound because of what's going on the other hand. My teacher adviced me that even when it's not possible to achieve physical legato, you can still fake a legato effect by the way you play the notes in succession. So I practice that...
Yes, I've recently run into this where I have to play a sequence of octave intervals legato. For example, G-G, A-A, B-B, etc., playing each pair with fingers 1 and 5. The best I can do is just hold down the keys as long as possible and then make a very quick jump to the next pair.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I had my lesson this week and got some tips from my teacher!

He showed me that I can actually play these notes....(barely, but I can)... and that the issue is that I need to be more flexible about hand positions.
I have to learn to rotate my hand, to slide up and down the key and find the right position - in other words, I have to experiment.

He showed me a little exercise to do to work my way up to the octave position and that I didn't have to have my N2 finger right on top of the second key, but that I could just touch the very very tip of it.

It still isn't very comfortable, but it is a lot better and I've made a little bit of progress in being able to do it.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Glad to hear you found a solution C.

You also may find that, over time, just playing in these new positions at the edge of your comfort zone will spread your fingers a bit, allowing you to make stretches you can't make today. I once felt octaves were a stretch, but now regularly play ninths and can almost get to a tenth. But I don't think you can rush it.....just takes some time playing pieces near your limits.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission