2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1986970 11/15/12 07:42 AM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
For those who have learned it, how difficult was the memorization?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That's a question that is impossible to answer in a way that will be of any use to you.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by debrucey
That's a question that is impossible to answer in a way that will be of any use to you.

As useless as this statement?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It's not a useless statement. Memorisation speed is an incredibly personal thing and how one person memorises a particular piece will not have any bearing on how best you are to memorise the same piece.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's not a useless statement. Memorisation speed is an incredibly personal thing and how one person memorises a particular piece will not have any bearing on how best you are to memorise the same piece.

+1

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

True, but it's rather relative. As in, how difficult is the memorization of the finale relative to other more tonally obvious pieces? I didn't ask "how hard will it be for me to memorize this?".

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Joel_W
For those who have learned it, how difficult was the memorization?

Speaking of memorizing : it's getting increasingly difficult to remember who you are with, now, another name change.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Joel_W

True, but it's rather relative. As in, how difficult is the memorization of the finale relative to other more tonally obvious pieces? I didn't ask "how hard will it be for me to memorize this?".

It's not "rather relative" at all because it still boils down to how an individual memorizes; the harmonic clues in the score that help one to memorize may be less obvious to one who memorizes by thinking in a more "scalar" manner as opposed yet again to someone whose memory is helped more by seeing patterns that others don't see or whose memory is helped by "finger memory." How can one put a quantitative value on an answer to the question?

What, by the way, is the point of the question?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There are too many variables to make it relative.

Example:
-People with different musical educations memorize differently
-Ages
-Pianistic Skill and past experience memorizing
-Each brain works differently...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I do see what all of the above mean, but I will take a different route here...

I think that if one can actually provide a 'level of difficulty' for most rather known works (such as the RCM or ABSRM or other levelling system) and if we can agree that individuals can have different strengths and weaknesses in our playing, perhaps it's not absurd to provide a fair and simple reply to this new guy, with the older avatar, who looks familiar and posts even more familiar threads, but calls himself Joe! grin

No?

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I find that difficult pieces where you have to look at your hands a lot are a lot easier to memorize than less difficult ones.

Last edited by boo1234; 11/15/12 01:30 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I do see what all of the above mean, but I will take a different route here...

I think that if one can actually provide a 'level of difficulty' for most rather known works (such as the RCM or ABSRM or other levelling system) and if we can agree that individuals can have different strengths and weaknesses in our playing, perhaps it's not absurd to provide a fair and simple reply to this new guy [...]

No?

No, because I don't see it as a "fair and simple" response. The other "levelling systems" you speak of are based on overall difficulties, both technical and artistic; the question here is "how difficult to memorize." I think that puts the question in another category entirely, not covered by overall grading systems.

Grading systems, as I know them, are conventionally - although not entirely - grading pieces according to primary technical difficulties where such things as octaves, arpeggios, repeated notes, thirds, etc. (you name it!) are more or less quantifiable. I don't think that memorization is a quantifiable component, and certainly not part of grading systems.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Bruce, I don't see why it isn't relative. I would say it's pretty objective that the ballades are harder to memorize than say... the 4th prelude in E minor. So in other words, the ballades are harder to memorize relative to the 4th prelude. No? Why can't the same be applied to sonata 2 finale?

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
False...the ballades are much easier IMO because you need to put in the hours to figure out the fingerwork,and you can ingrain the patterns into your muscle memory.

Why all of the names changes..

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
False...the ballades are much easier IMO because you need to put in the hours to figure out the fingerwork,and you can ingrain the patterns into your muscle memory.

you really believe that? you really believe that memorizing any one of the ballades is "much easier" than memorizing the e minor prelude. REALLY?!

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
If I told you that I have had less difficulties memorizing,Rach 2, Chopin's 1st ballade, the Waldstein sonata, Chopin's third and fourth scherzi, the Kapustin variations, than memorizing some tiny Scriabin preludes, or a slow Brahms intermezzi, would you believe me? Cause it's true and you missed the big capital IMO in my original post.

When you work on a big piece, you have bigger issues than trying to memorize the notes, so that works itself out. I've never had to consciously put work into memorizing a large or technically challenging work.

Yes.

Last edited by Kuanpiano; 11/15/12 03:00 PM.

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Now you've changed your argument. The Chopin e minor prelude is not on the same level as brahms intermezzi or scriabin preludes. I was just wondering if you truly thought it was more difficult to memorize the prelude than any one of the ballades.

Also I recommend you not put such final words like "false" in a sentence you deem to be just your opinion.

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Well, comparing the E minor prelude to say the G sharp minor Scriabin one. Or the E major, or the G flat major (all from op.11). They're all one page, slow, roughly the same form as the Chopin. Why isn't that a fair comparison? I'll admit that the Brahms is more of a stretch...

I think saying that something is "false, IMO" is equally valid as "I think it's pretty objective that..". I was also feeling snarky because I don't usually think someone's "just wondering" if they ask rhetorical statements sounding like "u rly think that? srly bro? o rly? REALLY!?"

Working on:
Debussy - Images Book II

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
"u rly think that? srly bro? o rly? REALLY!?"

lmao

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I admit I don't know those preludes you mention off the top of my head, but knowing how closely Scriabin followed the romantic tradition in his early works I'll accept that comparison.

Although I could've expressed it in more eloquent words I still remain skeptical of your original claim.

Happy Practicing!

J.S. Bach
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission