2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1987262 11/15/12 10:50 PM
K
OP Offline
K
I know white pianos have been discussed... but what about other colors? Specifically I'm interested in a medium to dark mahogany (polished/lacquered).

How much more would resale be an issue compared to a black piano?

T
T
would make a huge difference to me. I can't stand black pianos smile

I'm undoubtedly in the minority - but I prefer the warmth and character of wood in my 'furniture'.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I prefer wood furniture too, but I like my pianos black.

D
D
I don't want to pay a penny extra for color but I prefer black.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
In consoles and studio uprights wood finishes outsell polished ebony. In larger instrument and grands, PE is a much better seller.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Online Content
My impression is the polished ebony far outsells satin ebony in Europe and Asia and that many of the European and Asian makers produce polished ebony almost exclusively or in much greater numbers than satin ebony. Is this true and about what percentages of ebony pianos fall under each these two categories in Europe and Asia?

What about in the USA in terms of the polished/satin ebony split?

Online Content
Like the others, I too initially wanted a real-wood finish grand piano. I’ve always liked the real wood walnut finish.

However, when you buy pre-owned, you don’t always get exactly what you want… my first grand was ebony polish and I got used to it and rather liked it after a while. My current grand is ebony satin, and I must say that now I would prefer the ebony satin over ebony polish.

My Kawai K-48 upright is the satin walnut finish. Guess I have the best of both worlds…

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
My experience is that up until WWII, mahogany was by far the most popular finish. As mahogany in larger sizes became more difficult to find, black finishes became more popular on larger pianos because it was the only available finish at a reasonable price.

Semipro Tech
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I've been seeing in a lot of "home' magazines, black wood furniture, dining tables, kitchen cabinets, so if you have an open layout a black piano works well,
it becomes an elephant in the room when all the other "wood" is stained brown
then a black grand suddenly becomes the focal point you just can't help noticing..

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
In larger instrument and grands, PE is a much better seller.

Could that be because that is what is offered / suggested and because it is what is on the floor to buy?

I feel that some buyers don't realize that there is an option.

PE, PE, PE here, there, and everywhere!

What might be 'grand' on a concert stage might not be grand in all home settings.

It surely would look out of place with my old home and antique furnishings.

And for studio uprights, Polished Ebony would feel like I was looking into a big black mirror! (heaven forbid)

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I used to have Polished Walnut. Now have Polished Ebony. It is more imposing than the PW. PE also attracts more dust than the Walnut. And finger marks show up much more (just had the grandchildren visit yesterday!!).

In my shopping for a piano recently, and previously a couple of years ago, almost all grand pianos were PE. Japanese importers only bring PE into Australia, and charge a huge premium for timber. European piano importers brought some timber grands. And even more uprights.

In my visiting piano stores, I didn't see any satin grand pianos, and only a couple of satin uprights, all European brands in timber.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
C
C
Morticians like black hearses; Musicians like black pianos.

Charles Carlstrom
T
T
black just seems so very ... I dunno ... institutional. or to put it another way, generic. nothing to distinguish one from another. and as someone else mentioned, if you have a house full of old timber, a shiny black piano would scream high gauche :p

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My furniture is a mixture of old timber (rocking chairs made by my dad), leather both old (burgundy) and new (red). The shiny black piano sings to all of them, but is really besties with the vintage black Jacobsen egg chair.

Resale?
Probably not for any of it.

We find it pretty cozy; anyone who thinks it is high gauche can hang out someplace else.

Learner
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
My piano is polished mahogany and although it's very handsome, I've come to regret it over the years. I'm not saying that pianos can only be black, but, basically, it's just window dressing.

The only exception I would make would be the beautiful Erards and Pleyels that were finished to such an incredibly high standard.

I regret on every level not having bought a black piano.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Black cased pianos seem to be more popular than they used to be, perhaps this is because for so many manufacturers today terms such as 'mahogany' 'rosewood' and 'walnut' mean nothing more than red, dark brown or mid brown varnishes applied to the same cheap and uninteresting veneers.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
Online Content
Originally Posted by Jean Claude
Black cased pianos seem to be more popular than they used to be, perhaps this is because for so many manufacturers today terms such as 'mahogany' 'rosewood' and 'walnut' mean nothing more than red, dark brown or mid brown varnishes applied to the same cheap and uninteresting veneers.
I don't think this is true...certainly not for any of the top three tiers in the PB.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My first two pianos were walnut, which I love. The Yamaha dealer (probably most Yamaha dealers but I don't know) only had polished ebony for the C series grands, so that's what I fell in love with and now own. Other finishes in the grands would have to be special ordered and cost more money. My C3 doesn't match my furnishings, but it's not important. Yamaha polished walnut is gorgeous and my preference, but black, in grands is standard. Polished black does show dust and fingerprints more easily.

Whatever piano you purchase, keep it properly tuned, voiced, and regulated while you own it to get the best resale value.

Best of luck and have fun shopping.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
It comes down to personal preference.

Thirty years ago I was considering a used Sohmer, about 5'7", in a beautiful French-style case. Then I had to go into the hospital for emergency surgery, and when I got out that piano had been sold. Instead I bought a new Kawai, a very nice sounding and playing instrument, and regretted it ever since because the case was so plain.

To some of us, the way it LOOKS in our home is a very important factor.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Some piano makers offer a selection veneers and finishes, often at a premium, because certain customers want them. A similar proportion of pre-owned buyers could prefer them. They might pay a premium too if you are in the right place at the right time.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission