2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1987289 11/16/12 02:00 AM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Thought I would redo my performance of the jazz standard "Body and Soul" since the first recording appeared to lack a little in regards to the rhythmic pulse (the underlying beat) which gives feel to a "stride" piece. The new recording is now improved in regards to rhythm as the note reading was secure (with no mistakes) and the playing was freer, overall.

The new recording on the CA95 features the default "Jazz Grand 2" preset:

[Please note there is 18 seconds of silence before the recording starts]

https://www.box.com/s/t5ltc1uxwiubl27fbdjl

And, here is the original:

https://www.box.com/s/knh3xaw30opqkg9i62ot

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Thanks for the recording pv88 - very nice playing.

However, I'm not terribly keen on the older '2' sounds - I believe the piano sounds without the number suffix utilise the best available samples, with greater sustain, 88-key sampling, more velocity layers etc.

I believe these older '2' sounds are actually very similar to those found in the EP3. Perhaps this explains why you prefer them over the higher quality CA95 sounds.

My apologies, the above is not correct - I was thinking of a different model. The CA95's two Jazz piano sounds are actually from the MP10, and are therefore not found in the EP3.

Also, I would strongly recommend buying a USB flash drive ($10?) to record your performances directly to MP3/WAV audio using the instrument's USB audio features. The recording quality (all-digital) should be superior, and the 18 second or so delays as you run from the computer room to the piano room would be eliminated. wink

But again, nicely played.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
FWIW, I think I can hear the "metallic" sound that you have been discussing. I do think it's probably just a combination of the naturally rich sound of the Kawai piano, and the less than perfect reproduction of Kawai's "harmonic imaging". I hear the same kind of thing in my old MP9000, but it's never really bothered me. I definitely can't hear anything that sounds like a defect - i.e - something that might be different about your piano compared to other examples of the same model.

Listening to a sampled Kawai (the Acoustic Samples Kawai EX), to me it sounds quite similar to your sound in overall tone, but more natural and detailed.

Great playing again....

Greg.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
@James,

Do appreciate your comments on the recording, and, yes, some of the treble notes (in the first two octaves above middle C) seem to have more clarity and better resonance with number '2' presets, which is why I have preferred some of the '2' sounds over the original ones. The sustain/decay of the treble range appears to be a little more resonant, as this became obvious to me when playing the melody line of the piece, so I switched to "Jazz Grand 2."

At first, I did not like the more metallic ringing of the '2' presets, although my perception of this may be different than what others might hear. It is far better in a jazz piece over the mellower sounding original '1' presets. Again, this is only my subjective opinion.

Also, it took me multiple takes before I finally arrived at a mistake free recording, and, one that had decent stride-style rhythm.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
@Greg,

Glad to hear you like this one, as the CA95 is a joy to play even if the sounds aren't exactly perfect, as there isn't any digital out there (including the V-Piano) that has sounds that are a real match for a concert grand.

Even so, the longer sustain/decay and connectivity with the action in the CA95 has proven to be a close runner up to the V-Piano, as each piano has slightly different characteristics with regards to tone.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
It might also be due to the samples being recorded very dry (with as little as possible natural reverb), and also processed for uniformity etc.

Also, apparently stage pianos can sound superior to software pianos in a live setting, due to the fact that there is too much ambience with the software pianos. (the natural ambience of the venue + the inbuilt ambience of the software piano). No personal experience - just regurgitating what I have read.

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 11/16/12 03:35 AM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by pv88
...the CA95 is a joy to play even if the sounds aren't exactly perfect, as there isn't any digital out...

This is why I recommended using the built-in MP3/WAV recorder, which is purely digital and should produce a higher quality recording than using the line-out jacks.

Kind regards,
James
x

Online Content
A little more information about the 'Jazz Grand' sounds in the CA95, courtesy of a more knowledgeable colleague:

Jazz Grand:
This piano is intended for clear sounding when playing typical jazz 'cluster' chords and has a rather modern character.

Jazz Grand 2:
This piano has a slightly ringing tone and feels more like an 'old school", vintage jazz grand.

Kind regards,
James
x

A
A
Well, I enjoyed this second recording very much thank you and you appear to be more relaxed in your playing which is excellent by the way. I think the Jazz Grand 2 suited this piece better than the original - although of course that is subjective as everybody has their own idea. Tell you what though pv88, whatever you've said against the Kawai CA95 in the past, you're beginning to highlight just how fantastic this piano is.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
@AshwayGap,

Thanks, as I am glad you like the recording as much as I enjoyed playing it!

My ears tend to be most critical when the piano I have bought is brand new and I am not yet entirely familiar with its sounds. After having had a chance to go through all of the various settings there is enough there to get the sounds tweaked to a reasonable level of satisfaction.

J
J
Nice recordings! Great playing!!

KJ - what is the best way of toning the treble down on this keyboard? It truly is much to loud for the rest of the piano and is even evident on this recording. I'm getting a little tired of playing easy on the treble so it matched the bass. Please let me know your recommendations. I only want to adjust the higher notes, not the lower...

Thank you.

Online Content
JustPlay, please use the 'User EQ' settings to attenuate the treble frequencies to your liking.

Cheers,
James
x

J
J
can someone tell me what type the line out jacks are on the CA95?

Online Content
jmacn, they are standard L/R 1/4" phone jacks. For more information, please refer to the owner's manual at the URL below:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/manuals.html

Cheers,
James
x

J
J
Thanks james

C
C
Originally Posted by pv88
Thought I would redo my performance of the jazz standard "Body and Soul" since the first recording appeared to lack a little in regards to the rhythmic pulse (the underlying beat) which gives feel to a "stride" piece. The new recording is now improved in regards to rhythm as the note reading was secure (with no mistakes) and the playing was freer, overall.

The new recording on the CA95 features the default "Jazz Grand 2" preset:

[Please note there is 18 seconds of silence before the recording starts]

https://www.box.com/s/t5ltc1uxwiubl27fbdjl

And, here is the original:

https://www.box.com/s/knh3xaw30opqkg9i62ot

Very nice playing, thanks for sharing with all us!

But I also don't like that particular piano sound. I ear too much ringing in the trebble and when you play fast notes they sound too much "staccato", prominent and detached one from the other. Almost like if they were recorded separately and pasted together afterwards.. mmm.. I know, I know, that is exactly how DP works, but sympathetic resonance is supposed to mask that fact.

Do you think it will be possible to adjust playing technique so they don't sound that way?

Thanks again for sharing and keep the good recordings going smile

Carlos

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission