Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1987359 - 11/16/12 08:10 AM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
manyhands Offline

Loc: Md
I've resolved to not use a hose to clean either my motorcycle or my piano.

Big Mama Yama U1

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1987363 - 11/16/12 08:31 AM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: manyhands]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
Short answer, no.
While i wouldn't play any piano with dirty hands, dry hands trump washed hands. It's a violin thing. Depending on the weather, it can take hours for my hands to dry completely.
Also, this is not a public piano. Aren't escalator rails the nastiest things? Sorry for the OT. smile

#1987366 - 11/16/12 08:42 AM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I don't make a point of it, but I may have randomly washed my hands before playing.
Having said that, I don't remember the last time I had a cold, or gastro.

Life's too short...

#1987378 - 11/16/12 09:27 AM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
Barbareola Offline

Loc: Germany
I always wash my hands.

Part of me it is habit. Getting into the piano playing mood, so to speak.

The other reason... in my student days I worked at a call center, luckily one of the better once. They took great pains to clean the computer keyboards and computer mice, due to studies about the transmission of illnesses at the work place. Those studies showed that between sharing a bathroom, sharing keyboard and computer mice and shaking hands, the most common way to catch a cold from somebody was to share keyboard and computer mice, then shake hands and sharing bathrooms came last.

So, a lot more than we like to think sticks to those things. That kinda stuck in my head. So the idea is basically to make sure there is as little as possible to leave behind before I touch the keys.

And yeah - it is also out of respect for the instrument....

#1987403 - 11/16/12 10:22 AM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

No, only when they feel or look dirty

#1987430 - 11/16/12 11:41 AM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
PaperClip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Only when I visit my teacher. I ride to her on a bicycle which is always left outside. And I never clean my bicycle. I always clean my hands after riding my bike anyways.

Playing since May 02 2009

#1987462 - 11/16/12 12:44 PM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
I'm not in any other sense obsessed with cleanliness, but I am regarding the piano keyboard. I wash my hands before every practice session, and I wipe down the keys at least every other day.

Maybe I just have oily fingers, but I definitely notice an increased slipperiness on the black keys if I go even one day without cleaning the keys.

The fewer obstacles I have, the better!

I agree with FarmerJones, though, that when it comes to playing my stringed instrument, I'm much more sensitive to problems of wet hands than any issues about cleanliness. I hate to touch the strings on my bass -- or even the bow -- when my hands are wet.

Edited by ClsscLib (11/16/12 12:46 PM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1987479 - 11/16/12 01:34 PM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
jdw Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I've had some guests who seemed to think I was neurotic about the piano because I wouldn't let them put their drinks down on it. Guess I can tell them they're lucky I don't make them wash their hands!

#1987488 - 11/16/12 02:05 PM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: jdw]
outo Offline

Loc: Finland
I do wash my hands if I haven't done it recently. But that presents a problem, because during the winter time my hands get so dry that my fingertips are really slippery. So I wash my hands, put lotion on them and then end up washing them again because I don't want that on the keys frown

#1987498 - 11/16/12 02:27 PM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SouthWest Michigan
I never do unless my hands are truly dirty (working in the yard or on my cars etc.). But then, I'm the only one playing it.

When I worked for a school district once, a Science class swabbed various things in the buildings, analyzed the results and found that the computer lab keyboards were the filthiest things in the school. Interestingly enough, the bathroom facilities were among the cleanest, whatever that means. Maybe it means most people wash their hand there but not in the computer labs.

After that, all the computer teachers cleaned the keyboards with alcohol pads in between classes.

I guess if I had a piano studio or lots of people playing my piano, my priorities would change.

#1987528 - 11/16/12 03:56 PM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
I throw my digital on the back of my pickup truck and then drive through the automatic car wash with the windows down so that I too get scrubbed along with the truck and piano - once a month, whether we all need it or not... smile

However, every time I play lately it's been "gurgling" loudly and making a lot of bubbles - just like the machines that Lawrence Welk used to use for his "champagne music" way back in the day on B&W TV... laugh

I guess I'm going to have to start taking my leaf blower along to give it a blow-dry afterwards each time...good idea, huh? I'll bet that Disney's "Colors of the Wind" would sound great on it after that!

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1987531 - 11/16/12 04:03 PM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
I only wash my hands of posting in threads that are eight years old

...oh, wait

#1987545 - 11/16/12 04:58 PM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Usually.

#1987576 - 11/16/12 06:18 PM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
No

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1987665 - 11/17/12 12:02 AM Re: Poll: do you wash your hands before playing? [Re: plays88skeys]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
The question should be:

Do you wash your hands after playing another piano?

(at the piano shop or out in public, or whatever)

My answer is - immediately!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
155 registered (Akshay, accordeur, antony, Anne'sson, 47 invisible), 1523 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153504 Topics
2249506 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mozart K310 fingering
by Morodiene
04/16/14 07:11 PM
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
04/16/14 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
04/16/14 05:14 PM
Question about monitor speakers with keyboard
by peabody
04/16/14 04:00 PM
Disklavier to replace digital piano?
by Big Cheese
04/16/14 03:42 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission