Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1985101 - 11/10/12 05:21 PM recital fee/pass on to students?
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Thank you for your suggestions and opinions on this issue. Perhaps I'm making too big of a deal about it but here goes anyway:

I have 2 recitals per year for my students. Our venue is our local piano store which has a magnificent piano on their stage in the recital hall and plenty of seating.
It's a perfect venue. No other place locally for me, this is it.
Until recently, the piano store has offered their recital hall to teachers free of charge. Now the fee is $150 per event.
As a teacher, do I:
1.absorb the cost myself, don't pass it along to students (tax deduction/business expense)
2. charge all students a fee per recital

3. ask for donations at the door or sell tickets (I don't like this idea really)
4. charge recital fee for students who plan to participate in the recital
5. any other suggestions

Thanks

typically 25 students play in a recital

Edited by Barb860 (11/10/12 05:33 PM)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1985109 - 11/10/12 05:42 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
So, Barb, do you charge your students an "activities" fee at the beginning of the year (or registration, or whatever name?)

This works out to roughly $6/student, but then, there are other costs, such as printing programs, running to and fro to get supplies together, set up, etc., etc.

Slightly tangentially, does the store charge all users the same fee? That is, if a student wanted to give a recital, they'd be charged $150? Or some area musicians wanted to give a concert? If the answer is yes, then I'd also negotiate with the store manager/owner for a preferred teacher rate, perhaps $75 or $100, as you're purchasing music and supplies there all year long. A quid pro quo has to work both ways, not one way. When our local jobber eliminated teacher discounts, they suddenly discovered a huge drop in business. After reinstating the discount, they only recovered part of what they lost. Teachers discovered that music was still cheaper on line and delivered faster.

I would tactfully point out that you "love" supporting local businesses, but it has to be a two-way street, ie, they support you as well.

#1985112 - 11/10/12 05:51 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
rlinkt Offline

Loc: CA
My daughter's piano teacher suggests a $20 donation per student to cover costs for each recital. I think its perfectly reasonable, unless you charge an activities fee as John asked above.

#1985121 - 11/10/12 06:22 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
MaggieGirl Offline

I pay $40 for each piano recital (2x's a year). I thought it was very reasonable. I don't think parents would have a problem with a recital fee.

#1985133 - 11/10/12 07:04 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I don't like the idea of charging parents a separate recital fee. They pay tuition, they pay music fees, festival fees, Guild, CM, etc... I've heard too many parents complain about how their kid's dance school sells tickets to recitals ($5 and up pp), costumes ($70 on up), etc....

I figure a fee (roughly $3 or so per student) that I include as part of the yearly enrollment fee parents pay each year. We do 2 recitals each year. So far it covers my expenses and parents are happy not to have to shell out more for yet one more thing.

#1985145 - 11/10/12 08:30 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Is there somewhere else you can take your recitals? $150 per event is such a rip-off. My branch charges $100 whole day and $50 half day. Recitals are definitely half day.

If you have nowhere else to turn, then I would charge everyone participating a recital fee. Don't absorb it as a business expense.

#1985158 - 11/10/12 09:05 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
So, Barb, do you charge your students an "activities" fee at the beginning of the year (or registration, or whatever name?)

This works out to roughly $6/student, but then, there are other costs, such as printing programs, running to and fro to get supplies together, set up, etc., etc.

Slightly tangentially, does the store charge all users the same fee? That is, if a student wanted to give a recital, they'd be charged $150? Or some area musicians wanted to give a concert? If the answer is yes, then I'd also negotiate with the store manager/owner for a preferred teacher rate, perhaps $75 or $100, as you're purchasing music and supplies there all year long. A quid pro quo has to work both ways, not one way. When our local jobber eliminated teacher discounts, they suddenly discovered a huge drop in business. After reinstating the discount, they only recovered part of what they lost. Teachers discovered that music was still cheaper on line and delivered faster.

I would tactfully point out that you "love" supporting local businesses, but it has to be a two-way street, ie, they support you as well.

John, no, I don't charge an activities fee but after reading these posts so far and thinking further, I am considering that.
To clarify: the store that has the recital hall is a piano store, not a full-service music store. They sell and rent pianos, that's it. I have been told that the fee is a one-size-fits all, so even a student would pay this. If someone buys a piano from the store, the fee is waived. So far none of my students have purchased a piano from them but of course this is a possibility.

#1985189 - 11/10/12 11:51 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Barb, a minority point of view: just pay the fee yourself. It's not a lot of money, especially given how many students you have. You were lucky getting the place for free in the past. And it has a magnificent piano!

This is just part of the cost of being a professional piano teacher, while it also brings you some community visibility.

#1985393 - 11/11/12 02:28 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I budget $200 per year for recitals (and include that in my registration fee) One year I did have a recital fee when I hadn't had to pay anything, but as I grew larger I did. After that first year, I just included the recital fee in their registration.

Most dance recitals charge a recital fee AND sell tickets at the door, so you aren't out-of-line by asking for the fee.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1985492 - 11/11/12 07:38 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
Beth_Frances Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I definitely don't think you should pay for it yourself. The registration fee idea is a good one because it's one hit at the start of the year, and it means the cost is absorbed by all of your students, not just the ones who want to participate in the recitals, which lowers it for everyone.

I don't think $150 is too outlandish for the rental of the space - if you have 25 students playing that's only $6 each which is quite low for the experience you are providing, and the music store gets some business, so I see it as win-win.

#1987094 - 11/15/12 01:28 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
ezpiano.org Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
If you have not charge the activities fees for this year, you can charge a fee for recital and call it recital fee. My recital fee is equal to one lesson, I used the money to rent the recital hall, print program, order trophies, prepare some incentive for some outstanding students, renting chair, hiring photographer/videographer ......To be serious, after all of these expanses, I have almost nothing left from the fees that I collect. I hope parents realize that I am not earning money from doing recital.....(PS: I do earn money when I teach regular lesson, but not recital)
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#1987375 - 11/16/12 09:18 AM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
This thread has got me thinking about that. We have our own recital space in our studio now, but we do not own enough chairs for an audience so we will have to rent them. Should we charge a recital fee? Perhaps it's too late to even ask for something since the recital is at the end of Nov. What do you think?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1987420 - 11/16/12 11:07 AM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I think it's niggling to suddenly charge students for chair rentals. If they knew that was what was going on, I'm sure they would rather bring pillows and save the few bucks you ding them.

Maybe there's a church you can borrow chairs from gratis, or a kindly neighbor who plays canasta in her living room.

#1987610 - 11/16/12 08:32 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
ezpiano.org Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
You can also pay for some foods and drinks if you want to...
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#1987736 - 11/17/12 08:46 AM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
I think it's niggling to suddenly charge students for chair rentals. If they knew that was what was going on, I'm sure they would rather bring pillows and save the few bucks you ding them.

Maybe there's a church you can borrow chairs from gratis, or a kindly neighbor who plays canasta in her living room.

Those are some good ideas. So is your objection more about charging "suddenly" or charging at all? For the Spring Recital, for example, if we charged would that be OK with the advance notice?

#1987791 - 11/17/12 12:07 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Morodiene]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
So is your objection more about charging "suddenly" or charging at all? For the Spring Recital, for example, if we charged would that be OK with the advance notice?

Morodiene, my objection is to both, but that's me and my minority view on that matter. Charging for your spring recital would seem better than doing it now, because there would be reasonable advance notice. If I were you, I'd actually hold off on this fee until the fall of 2013, since most people view piano study on an academic year basis and this year is already underway. If your teaching is year-round, then implementing a fee this coming spring would be fine in my book.

But in the bigger picture as a piano teacher, I don't want to look cheap. Many years ago I was auditioning for a prominent piano teacher in California. In her elegant living room studio. She was having a little master class right afterwards on Schumann, and wanted me to stick around for it and meet some of her students. But then when the doorbell rang she suddenly asked me to please vacate the chair I had been invited to sit in, and move to one of the few metal folding chairs set up in back instead. The upholdstered chairs, she explained, were for her paying customers, and I had not paid her for my audition.

Of all the goofy things we remember.....!

#1987883 - 11/17/12 04:26 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Morodiene Offline

So is your objection more about charging "suddenly" or charging at all? For the Spring Recital, for example, if we charged would that be OK with the advance notice?

Morodiene, my objection is to both, but that's me and my minority view on that matter. Charging for your spring recital would seem better than doing it now, because there would be reasonable advance notice. If I were you, I'd actually hold off on this fee until the fall of 2013, since most people view piano study on an academic year basis and this year is already underway. If your teaching is year-round, then implementing a fee this coming spring would be fine in my book.

But in the bigger picture as a piano teacher, I don't want to look cheap. Many years ago I was auditioning for a prominent piano teacher in California. In her elegant living room studio. She was having a little master class right afterwards on Schumann, and wanted me to stick around for it and meet some of her students. But then when the doorbell rang she suddenly asked me to please vacate the chair I had been invited to sit in, and move to one of the few metal folding chairs set up in back instead. The upholdstered chairs, she explained, were for her paying customers, and I had not paid her for my audition.

Of all the goofy things we remember.....!

Wow, that is just rude. In our policy it's very clear that tuition covers the cost for lessons only - not accompanying, not recitals, etc. But I will try to ask my church if I can borrow some chairs. I'm also keeping an eye out on craigslist for cheap folding chairs for sale, since we will be needing them in the future.

#1987897 - 11/17/12 05:16 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Morodiene]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
I personally wouldn't charge for student recitals held in my studio but the chair issue is interesting. I began collecting folding chairs from Costco, until I had enough to seat all my students. Consider getting a dozen now, having students sit on the floor or pillows, and adding another dozen chairs in the spring. BTW, I notice you have quite a few Costco warehouses nearby.

#1988002 - 11/18/12 12:14 AM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yesterday I asked one of my adult students about this concept of a teacher instituting a recital fee to cover costs. She thought for a moment and then chuckled: she said she didn't think piano students would want to willingly pay extra money to do something that is so nerve-wracking as play in a recital!

That's another amusing angle.

Edited by Peter K. Mose (11/18/12 12:15 AM)

#1988021 - 11/18/12 02:40 AM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
keystring Online   content

Loc: Canada
Yesterday I asked one of my adult students about this concept of a teacher instituting a recital fee to cover costs. She thought for a moment and then chuckled: she said she didn't think piano students would want to willingly pay extra money to do something that is so nerve-wracking as play in a recital!

How about the students who look forward to recitals?

#1988314 - 11/18/12 09:48 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I personally wouldn't charge for student recitals held in my studio but the chair issue is interesting. I began collecting folding chairs from Costco, until I had enough to seat all my students. Consider getting a dozen now, having students sit on the floor or pillows, and adding another dozen chairs in the spring. BTW, I notice you have quite a few Costco warehouses nearby.

You can also tell parents that you need additional chairs and ask if they could bring a couple extra folding chairs. I did that a couple of years ago, when I had a Christmas recital for students in a family home. One parent had 24 chairs and brought them all.

#1988416 - 11/19/12 08:04 AM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: Barb860

You can also tell parents that you need additional chairs and ask if they could bring a couple extra folding chairs. I did that a couple of years ago, when I had a Christmas recital for students in a family home. One parent had 24 chairs and brought them all.

Great ideas, guys! Although I think Walmart has the cheapest chairs at $8 a piece.

#1991855 - 11/28/12 08:13 AM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
Morodiene Offline

Just an update: My husband found some chairs on craigslist - the guy was a storage facility owner who had evicted someone who rented party supplies, and lo-and-behold, he had 40 folding chairs, a dolly, and white chair covers! I got the whole thing for $200!

I did ask parents to bring folding chairs if they have them, but I'd rather have too much seating than not enough. wink

#1991873 - 11/28/12 09:06 AM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Morodiene]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Just an update: My husband found some chairs on craigslist - the guy was a storage facility owner who had evicted someone who rented party supplies, and lo-and-behold, he had 40 folding chairs, a dolly, and white chair covers! I got the whole thing for $200!

I did ask parents to bring folding chairs if they have them, but I'd rather have too much seating than not enough. wink

That's great! Congratulations!

#1991902 - 11/28/12 11:01 AM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Barb860]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Bravo to M's husband, no longer an unsung hero!

#1992098 - 11/28/12 06:45 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
M is a singer; my guess is that she has sung him before this.

#1992170 - 11/28/12 09:47 PM Re: recital fee/pass on to students? [Re: malkin]
Morodiene Offline

Originally Posted By: malkin
M is a singer; my guess is that she has sung him before this.

LOL! Hubby is a great guy and makes himself useful on several occasions. :P

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mason & Hamlin Opinions
by Hunt
40 minutes 11 seconds ago
contacting with someone of VI Labs
by imyself
Today at 03:02 PM
My Initial Thoughts on Left/Right Hand Independence
by Visalia
Today at 01:23 PM
Questions regarding Schafer and Sons VS52
by Tankster911
Today at 12:42 PM
Transcribe tune
by pianomise
Today at 12:16 PM
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, 36251, ajames, allakart, 255, 42 invisible), 1488 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76251 Members
42 Forums
157630 Topics
2315281 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission