Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1987262 - 11/15/12 09:50 PM Case color and resale
KillerCharlie Offline

I know white pianos have been discussed... but what about other colors? Specifically I'm interested in a medium to dark mahogany (polished/lacquered).

How much more would resale be an issue compared to a black piano?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1987277 - 11/15/12 10:55 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
tonedefreegan Offline

would make a huge difference to me. I can't stand black pianos smile

I'm undoubtedly in the minority - but I prefer the warmth and character of wood in my 'furniture'.

#1987297 - 11/16/12 01:28 AM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
DanS Offline

I prefer wood furniture too, but I like my pianos black.

#1987345 - 11/16/12 06:13 AM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
dsch Offline

Loc: florida
I don't want to pay a penny extra for color but I prefer black.

#1987373 - 11/16/12 09:16 AM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
In consoles and studio uprights wood finishes outsell polished ebony. In larger instrument and grands, PE is a much better seller.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1987442 - 11/16/12 12:04 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
My impression is the polished ebony far outsells satin ebony in Europe and Asia and that many of the European and Asian makers produce polished ebony almost exclusively or in much greater numbers than satin ebony. Is this true and about what percentages of ebony pianos fall under each these two categories in Europe and Asia?

What about in the USA in terms of the polished/satin ebony split?

#1987448 - 11/16/12 12:15 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Like the others, I too initially wanted a real-wood finish grand piano. I’ve always liked the real wood walnut finish.

However, when you buy pre-owned, you don’t always get exactly what you want… my first grand was ebony polish and I got used to it and rather liked it after a while. My current grand is ebony satin, and I must say that now I would prefer the ebony satin over ebony polish.

My Kawai K-48 upright is the satin walnut finish. Guess I have the best of both worlds…

Rick

#1987461 - 11/16/12 12:43 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
My experience is that up until WWII, mahogany was by far the most popular finish. As mahogany in larger sizes became more difficult to find, black finishes became more popular on larger pianos because it was the only available finish at a reasonable price.

#1987487 - 11/16/12 02:00 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I've been seeing in a lot of "home' magazines, black wood furniture, dining tables, kitchen cabinets, so if you have an open layout a black piano works well,
it becomes an elephant in the room when all the other "wood" is stained brown
then a black grand suddenly becomes the focal point you just can't help noticing..

#1987505 - 11/16/12 02:47 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: Steve Cohen]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen
In larger instrument and grands, PE is a much better seller.

Could that be because that is what is offered / suggested and because it is what is on the floor to buy?

I feel that some buyers don't realize that there is an option.

PE, PE, PE here, there, and everywhere!

What might be 'grand' on a concert stage might not be grand in all home settings.

It surely would look out of place with my old home and antique furnishings.

And for studio uprights, Polished Ebony would feel like I was looking into a big black mirror! (heaven forbid)

#1987558 - 11/16/12 05:15 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
I used to have Polished Walnut. Now have Polished Ebony. It is more imposing than the PW. PE also attracts more dust than the Walnut. And finger marks show up much more (just had the grandchildren visit yesterday!!).

In my shopping for a piano recently, and previously a couple of years ago, almost all grand pianos were PE. Japanese importers only bring PE into Australia, and charge a huge premium for timber. European piano importers brought some timber grands. And even more uprights.

In my visiting piano stores, I didn't see any satin grand pianos, and only a couple of satin uprights, all European brands in timber.

#1987638 - 11/16/12 10:07 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: backto_study_piano]
Charles Carlstrom Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Morticians like black hearses; Musicians like black pianos.

#1987714 - 11/17/12 06:57 AM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
tonedefreegan Offline

black just seems so very ... I dunno ... institutional. or to put it another way, generic. nothing to distinguish one from another. and as someone else mentioned, if you have a house full of old timber, a shiny black piano would scream high gauche :p

#1987761 - 11/17/12 10:41 AM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
My furniture is a mixture of old timber (rocking chairs made by my dad), leather both old (burgundy) and new (red). The shiny black piano sings to all of them, but is really besties with the vintage black Jacobsen egg chair.

Resale?
Probably not for any of it.

We find it pretty cozy; anyone who thinks it is high gauche can hang out someplace else.

#1987803 - 11/17/12 12:34 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
Karl Watson Online   content

My piano is polished mahogany and although it's very handsome, I've come to regret it over the years. I'm not saying that pianos can only be black, but, basically, it's just window dressing.

The only exception I would make would be the beautiful Erards and Pleyels that were finished to such an incredibly high standard.

I regret on every level not having bought a black piano.

#1987808 - 11/17/12 12:54 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
Jean Claude Offline

Loc: France
Black cased pianos seem to be more popular than they used to be, perhaps this is because for so many manufacturers today terms such as 'mahogany' 'rosewood' and 'walnut' mean nothing more than red, dark brown or mid brown varnishes applied to the same cheap and uninteresting veneers.

#1987820 - 11/17/12 01:30 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: Jean Claude]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: Jean Claude
Black cased pianos seem to be more popular than they used to be, perhaps this is because for so many manufacturers today terms such as 'mahogany' 'rosewood' and 'walnut' mean nothing more than red, dark brown or mid brown varnishes applied to the same cheap and uninteresting veneers.
I don't think this is true...certainly not for any of the top three tiers in the PB.

#1987987 - 11/17/12 11:06 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
j&j Offline

Loc: Southwest
My first two pianos were walnut, which I love. The Yamaha dealer (probably most Yamaha dealers but I don't know) only had polished ebony for the C series grands, so that's what I fell in love with and now own. Other finishes in the grands would have to be special ordered and cost more money. My C3 doesn't match my furnishings, but it's not important. Yamaha polished walnut is gorgeous and my preference, but black, in grands is standard. Polished black does show dust and fingerprints more easily.

Whatever piano you purchase, keep it properly tuned, voiced, and regulated while you own it to get the best resale value.

Best of luck and have fun shopping.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." Pablo Picasso

#1988048 - 11/18/12 07:44 AM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
Annitenth Offline

Loc: Texas
It comes down to personal preference.

Thirty years ago I was considering a used Sohmer, about 5'7", in a beautiful French-style case. Then I had to go into the hospital for emergency surgery, and when I got out that piano had been sold. Instead I bought a new Kawai, a very nice sounding and playing instrument, and regretted it ever since because the case was so plain.

To some of us, the way it LOOKS in our home is a very important factor.

#1988055 - 11/18/12 08:05 AM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Some piano makers offer a selection veneers and finishes, often at a premium, because certain customers want them. A similar proportion of pre-owned buyers could prefer them. They might pay a premium too if you are in the right place at the right time.

#1988091 - 11/18/12 09:44 AM Re: Case color and resale [Re: Annitenth]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: Annitenth
It comes down to personal preference.
To some of us, the way it LOOKS in our home is a very important factor.

That about sums it up.

#1988333 - 11/18/12 11:36 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
I almost bought a piano made of mahogany and really liked the look of the cabinetry, but I ended up buying a larger piano of the same maker in polished ebony. I have to say that it is stunning as it is a seven foot piano and seems like it belongs on a stage. The semi-concert and concert grands just always seem so elegant in ebony so I am very pleased with the choice.

#1988444 - 11/19/12 09:05 AM Re: Case color and resale [Re: tonedefreegan]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
My Yamaha U1 is straight grain mahogany/lacquered and it is perfect asthetically with the other furniture. I like black pianos too, but I think they need to fit in the general decor. My house is too casual for one. Plus there's that childhood nostalga thing. ha

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#1988716 - 11/19/12 09:27 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
I, personally, don't like the so called "polyester" high-gloss finish. My home is contemporary, so the ebony satin finish goes with everything. I feel an ebony piano goes with about any interior. Bottom line is this: The sound and touch of a piano that pleases you should supercede the finish. If you're anal-retentive about your decor, you will have to search much longer for the piano that pleases you in tone and finish. Good luck in your exploration.

#1988726 - 11/19/12 09:42 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
I agree with The handyman...the instrument is the important thing. My Mahogany Schimmel Chippendale looked better with my other furniture (such as it is) but the Feurich Polished Ebony is my dream piano!

#1988819 - 11/20/12 04:39 AM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
I'm inclined to agree. My 6' Mahogony Schimmel looked better in my home (and last home). But I think that a 7'4" Mahogony piano might just be too much Mahogony.

If only there was a way to deal with the dust. I keep dreaming about a velvet cover which attracts dust by static charge. But nobody has invented one yet.

#1989052 - 11/20/12 06:40 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
pianoloverus Offline

There is no right or wrong in terms of how important the appearance or finish of a piano is compared to its sound and touch.

There is nothing wrong with choosing a piano based mostly on its appearance even if "serious" musicians might generally think that sound and touch are more important or at least important. I think it's presumptuous to tell other people what should be important to them in a piano.

Edited by pianoloverus (11/20/12 06:44 PM)

#1989141 - 11/20/12 10:06 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
thetandyman Offline

Loc: Indiana
Pianoloverus, I'm not a "serious" musician. A professinal, yes, because I make money playing. However, I still stand by my post that states finish is far less important than playability. Example: I don't like white cars, however, I owned four in a row because the bargains, mileage, and care dictated that they were a great choice. I contend, if you are interested in your interior design above pleasure in tone and touch. then you get what you deserve. What's your opinion?

#1989152 - 11/20/12 10:37 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: KillerCharlie]
PianoWorksATL Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
For most buyers, a grand piano represents the largest and most expensive piece of furniture in their home. It is foolish to believe that such a purchase is not emotionally driven. I've known many people to have an affair with a piano made ugly from institutional life but would absolutely think better of it before bringing it home, whether for their own views or those of a spouse.

To the OP, a traditional cabinet in a common wood choice like mahogany is unlikely to hurt long term resale bets. I do, however, find the irony in the question as the OP is primarily looking among used pianos for those that are currently undervalued. wink

Today and for many years, grand pianos are most commonly black. Uprights have shifted strongly, previously dominated by wood finishes and now I think they are slightly behind ebony. I wonder if 20 years from now we'll look back and think, where are all the pretty woods? The cost is so little to gain so much.

Black pianos are beautiful, but I observe that many people are choosing to deny their first love, justifying it as an extra expense, perhaps wasteful, or placing future resale speculation over current satisfaction.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#1989383 - 11/21/12 12:21 PM Re: Case color and resale [Re: thetandyman]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: thetandyman
Pianoloverus, I'm not a "serious" musician. A professinal, yes, because I make money playing. However, I still stand by my post that states finish is far less important than playability. Example: I don't like white cars, however, I owned four in a row because the bargains, mileage, and care dictated that they were a great choice. I contend, if you are interested in your interior design above pleasure in tone and touch. then you get what you deserve. What's your opinion?
Someone could just as easily and with as much validity say that if you value tone and touch over the furniture aspect of a piano you "get what you deserve". There is no reason for buying a piano that's any more correct or valid than any other. To think otherwise is to think your reasons for buying a piano are superior to someone else's reasons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
98 registered (ando, Akshay, 36251, Almaviva, 31 invisible), 1262 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153572 Topics
2250709 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth upgrading from Studiologic SL990 for a beginner?
by moonchild77
19 minutes 37 seconds ago
Improving upright repetition
by pinkfloydhomer
39 minutes 48 seconds ago
On Temperament strip muting, and other things
by Mark Davis
Today at 05:08 AM
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
Today at 04:41 AM
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
Today at 01:00 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission