2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
B
B
Very fun listening so far... Neat music, great playing!

-----------------

01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover
Very beautiful. I didn't detect the transition between the original stuff and yours... all nicely done!

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand
Wow, this is stunning for 5 months of piano! Tell me you've played organ or harpsichord for years, please!

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772)
I kept thinking there were kids outside my office door when I had this on. smile I like your invention, seems like a finger twister to me though! Nicely done.

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun
Wow. Are you sure this is only 2 hands, one piano? I listened to it all, loved it!

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses
Thanks for the introduction to Couperin. It's a really pretty piece of music, and you presented it very well. Nice dynamics and tone... I really enjoyed this a lot.

06. Amaruk - Summer '78
Very pretty... insistent in its flow, nicely pulsing... very well played!

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1
I love your description of it being lovely "unless you're recording it and worried about the four big arpeggios at the end"... that's so perfectly said! Well, I couldn't detect your anticipation, and you pulled it off swimmingly. Well done!

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936)
These sound like finger twisters... Nicely done - your practice has paid off.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge
This does sound rich... all from a lead sheet? You've got a great ear.

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1
Very smooth and rich... I don't know why you're sighing about 20 years, you should be sighing because this is really quite gorgeous to listen to.

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover
I don't know the original, but this is a nice piano "power ballad". smile (Found that phrase when I googled the title!)

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor
Ah, one of my favorites, and what I'm hoping to work on next... nicely done, especially after only 10 months! Lots of dynamics, very musical, nicely paced, congrats.

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena
Neat Joplin... "The Entertainer" is one of my Dad's favorites,
and I keep meaning to put that on my list of "to do"'s... but I fear it's going to take me a long time to learn! Nice job!

14. ladypayne - Early Winter
Early winter indeed... we had our first flakes the other day... loved the transition at 1:45 into that serious march-y type thing... evoked the serious, hard, side of the season. Nice composition, stay warm!

15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sandy
This seems a little on the calm side to be named after Sandy! (I was expecting some serious pounding) smile But you play very well, and it was an interesting listen... thanks!

Last edited by bessel; 11/16/12 12:43 AM.

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge - Yeah, I hear you on the Debussy side - there are certainly some rich and interesting harmonies in here. Great job with this - it sounds tough! (nice arpeggios at the end)

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1 - Simply amazing. I loved this performance!

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover - An interesting Super-Hunkified take on this metal classic. Your piano skills were cranked up to 11 on this one!

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor - Nice job with this prelude - one of my favorites!

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena - Hehe, Joplin is never easy - even when it's simplified! You did really well with your performance - good luck tackling the full version!

14. ladypayne - Early Winter - Yes, this sounds chilly - I had to reach for my snuggie! Well done.

15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sandy - Haunting and eerie, like Sandy.

16. BenPiano - Poem - Dude, isn't it about time to get a teacher?

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
A
A
Being new in the piano community, I'm surprised how many people don't know Metallica and the song Nothing Else Matters. It's famous!

Then again, I hadn't heard about Clementi either.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
A
A
Listened to a couple more performances:

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936)
I'm sure I've heard a theme from that last prelude used in a more modern final fantasy song. Interesting to hear how these old classics still influence our music.

This composition paints a colourful picture. Too bad it's of a different bridge; I wouldn't mind crossing this one on a nice evening, taking time to look around.

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor
This is played so softly, hard to hear every detail even with my headphones on. But it seems a soft touch is appropriate.

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena
I had never heard another Joplin song before. Can definitely hear similarities with The Entertainer. I'm curious about how your original version will sound.

14. ladypayne - Early Winter
An early winter doesn't sound so bad after all smile

15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sandy
A cold wind, rain on my face, and silent news footage about the storm...

16. BenPiano - Poem
Like any poem, the form is simple enough, but there are layers of meaning behind the words/notes. I'm going to hazard a guess and state it's all about a grand recital, except people play from the comfort of their homes rather than a large concert hall. You can hear the intimacy.

17. Monica K. - Opening
A song full of triplets against whole and eighth notes? It sounds simple but must be all but to play. Also, this should have been first on the playlist, although it's a tad long for an opening. I imagine there should be some visuals to complement the themes.

18. cgyan / Iain - Morning Light
Such a wonderful day to wake up to!

19. Jazztpt (Russ) - You See
I don't really get jazz. Played well enough though.

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day
Swinging!

21. Andy Platt - Gavotte and Variations
So many variations! Well played.

22. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Romanza and The Little Music Box
The Romanza sounds so familiar...
The Little Music Box was cute. It's the same melody as a children's song for Saint Nicholas, here in the Netherlands. An event that is coming up soon.

23. SandTiger - Shimmer
Recorded with no audio feedback at all? That's amazing! The piece is also a bit loud, by the way. Maybe increased the volume a bit too much.

24. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Meditation
I think Cecile Chaminade had a strange idea of meditation, but the piece is nice enough. Well played. With a Yamaha P80, no less.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Still more Random Reviews:

29. Allard - Before the Last Leaf Falls

Allard - warm interpretation of this Lanz favorite...

31. zrtf90 (Richard) - Romance Sans Paroles, Op. 17 No. 3

Richard - delightful piece very well played...

32. TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner - Be Thou My Vision

Dennis - fine expressive touch on this ancient classic...

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard
Being new in the piano community, I'm surprised how many people don't know Metallica and the song Nothing Else Matters. It's famous!

Then again, I hadn't heard about Clementi either.

smile

Metallica is well "before the time" of many youngsters in the "piano community" - I only wish this applied to me also laugh

Back in the day my mush-brained nephew used to come into my garage while I was working on my old pickup truck with his boombox blaring away with heavy metal screechings including those of Metallica - after a short while I had to throw all three of them out (nephew, boombox & Metallica) - he finally wised up, saving his sanity and my hearing, by getting into Country music...

Now, Clementi - he is before my time...slightly...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Here is my first batch. I must say that I'm almost more impressed by people's ability to provide useful and timely comments across all of these styles and abilities than by the performances themselves.

06. Amaruk - Summer '78

Beautiful sound, performance and production quality from your “Good Bye Lenin!” series. I highly recommend everyone to check out the video, even if you are not normally a recital video watcher. It is very cool!

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936) I’m always impressed how you can play any style, including esoteric Bach. You were so locked in on the left hand! Nice job.

This was an awesome solo piano arrangement. You had full use of the keyboard, it did not seem sparse in any section. You captured the contemplative mood, but still had good movement so it didn't turn maudlin. Really nice!

19. Jazztpt (Russ) - You See

Another brilliant composition and performance. If someone told me that I was listening to Chick Corea, I would not have questioned it at all. I sensed flavors of his composition style. The complexity of the piece left me unable to guess the form, which is OK since I couldn't play it (to steal) anyway. The touch, dynamics and technique combined with the sound of the Roland HP507 made it a real treat. Well done. PS. as with all jazz compositions, I’m always interested in the back story behind the title…

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day

Glen, you simply have the effortless touch for jazz swing. Angle eye and some of your recent postings in the Piano Bar really show this. I’m guessing this comes a lot more from “listening” than from “playing”, but you know exactly what sounds right to play. Morning Greets the New Day is a beautiful, evocative composition with some really tasty chord selections. It is so rich and full sounding. I loved it!

30. Jazzwee - Blue Monk

Playing the blues is easy, right? Just a few chords and a few scales. Wrong. Staying inventive and interesting when there is not much in the way of melody or harmony changes to anchor your soloing is really hard. Anybody can play notes in the right scale(s), but very few can make you want to keep listening after a chorus. This was a super job! You and the band were really digging in, and the crowd was eating it up. I’ll bet feedback from a live audience really helped you with the energy…

45. jotur/Cathy Turner - Alexander's Ragtime Band

You made it in! Being able to do a one-take-wonder (love that phrase) on a Rag is mind-blowing. It sounded great as a solo number. Lots of fun…

49. BillM - When You Wish Upon A Star

Very nice vocals Bill, and I want to make sure that your wonderful self-comping doesn't go under-appreciated. This song should have been last, because it puts a nice ending on the whole show!

32. TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner - Be Thou My Vision

I never heard this Irish hymn before, but I love it. I tried to do something similar once with Tura Lura Lural, but it was a train wreck. The Irish flavorings are very subtle, but that makes it extra special. Well done.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

26. MusicaMusique - Je t'aimais, je t'aime, je t'aimerai This is a really lovely piece – full of poetry, tenderness, it lives up to its title! I listened to the streamed version and unfortunately there is a very strong hissing noise which distracts a lot from your otherwise great performance.

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby Ken this was really great! I was interested to see that you’d not done another Monk and to be very honest, I enjoyed this more than the rather “particular” pieces you’ve done before smile I also liked your background story about misunderstanding the words! The smooth intro was so soothing then what a surprise to jump into the perkier section! You really did a great job on bringing this together with the right voice and feel of the period!

28. MaryBee - Bagatelle No.25 in A minor (Fur Elise) What an interesting background to this piece MaryBee – I think you were courageous to step outside your box and share the results with us. I must say I for one was delighted. You’ve given an elegance and poetry to this that is not often heard. I have only heard the second part of this piece once before (when Andy played it a while back) I really liked how you handled the change in tempos and mood. Bravissima! Complimenti!

29. Allard - Before the Last Leaf Falls I don’t think I’ve ever heard any Lanz pieces before. This is a charming piece and it is indeed evocative of autumn. I think blue skies and orange-red leaves, fields of green – Well done indeed! You are doing very well for 1 year! I certainly couldn’t have managed that (I don’t know that I could do it now after almost 3 years!)

30. Jazzwee - Blue Monk From a live show! How cool is that? Though blues may not be your cuppa tea I have to say this was great. Your guitar player is a treat to listen to as well! Your memory/improvisation work had me tapping my feet and “dancing” at my desk! Smokin’!

31. zrtf90 (Richard) - Romance Sans Paroles, Op. 17 No. 3 Most enjoyable music Richard! I’m not very familiar with Fauré though I have heard a bit of his music. How interesting that you came back to it after such a long time. I think it was well worth the attention you dedicated to it! Thank you for the pleasure of hearing it!

32. TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner - Be Thou My Vision Wonderful piece! The powerful richness in the middle section is marvelous. The delicacy of the beginning and end sections is uplifting. Very well done, complimenti!

33. Serge88 - My Way Funny to think this almost classifies as an “oldie” now. I think you did an excellent job on this. Very enjoyable to listen to!

34. LizAnne - Elegy Op.183, No.2 Let’s hope that your “re-starting” this time really takes. You are clearly putting a lot of energy and time into your playing and it is paying off! I’ve never heard this piece before – thanks for introducing it to me! I look forward to hearing your next recording!

35. MrPozor - The Doll's Funeral Well done Mr. Pozor! You’re off to a good start even with out a teacher! I could see, in my mind’s eye, the solemn procession of children and their doll as I listened!

36. lyricmudra - Consolation No. 3 Pure poetry! You played this so wonderfully! Talk about music to stir the heartstrings – I was moved by your performance and I can see why you wanted to conquer this piece! Beautiful, beautiful performance.

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You TJ I just love the choices you make for the recitals AND the background info you provide on each of them. I don’t remember the last time I heard this piece but what a treat to hear it again today. I had not remembered it was the theme song to Liberace’s show! Thanks for that little stroll down memory lane – lovely playing!

38. DadAgain (& DadAgains Daughter) - Rondo Op163 #6 What fun to play a duet “en famille”! What a FUN piece! I just loved it! It is very clear that you and your daughter have a delightful rapport and it was a real pleasure to hear your duet! I had a huge smile on my face from the very first bars! I want to play that piece!!! Thanks so much!

39. Ganddalf - Prelude Op.45 More Chopin! How wonderful ! Your playing skills are certainly above mine I can’t make any comments on the technical front – I’ll just restrict my remarks to letting you know that I took great pleasure in listening to you perform this elegant music! (The recording sounded fine on my PC (with my special headphones!))

40. Sam S - Prelude Opus 28 number 15 (Raindrop) Sam, I’ve been looking forward to this since I read that you were debating on whether or not to present it! I am so glad you did. Not only was your playing a pleasure to listen, your “new” piano has a truly wonderful voice, and you’ve really made it sing here. Complimenti!

41. joangolfing - Elves' Dance I’ve liked Grieg’s music for a long time and yet I’ve never heard this piece before – what good fun! I can just picture the Elves tip-toeing and then stomping about in a circle! Nicely done!

42. Copper - What a Wonderful World Oh you hit a golden favourite here Copper! Most enjoyable! I could hear Louie in the background smile.

43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me Oh, I remember this one. Your background info prompted me to look at the video – the paintings were really lovely ! (I was confused about the carrots though….?) Great job – I’m so impressed by people who can sing and play at the same time. I’ve yet to be able to do it. I wish your sister all the best – she’s certainly been having difficulties!

44. Valencia - Work in Progress --Chopin's Etude 25/11 Interesting choice to submit a work in progress…..Unfortunately there were some very strange noises –not quite static, but interference for sure, which made it hard to focus just on the music. It does sound like you’re making great headway on the piece though. Let’s hear it again when you’re farther along!

45. jotur/Cathy Turner - Alexander's Ragtime Band Cathy, this is really fun! I found myself singing along and tapping my toes! You’ve really got the knack for playing this type of music with the right bounce and energy! Complimenti!!

46. Coldsalmon - Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2 Oh, how sad your piano was lost in the storm! The force of nature is truly wondrous and terrifying. Your playing here is very impressive – this is another piece I thoroughly enjoyed listening to in our November recital.

47. windywindy - Love Is All Around This is the theme song from the Mary Tyler Moore show! smile Well done! I was initially shocked when I saw you’ve been playing 8 months..then the next few words filtered into my brain! Loved the verve and energy at your conclusion! Very enjoyable!

48. Teodor - Tereza's Inspiration (Original Piece) Teodor, it has been such a pleasure to hear how you’ve improved from your early days of playing, and now to see you working with compositions! Very very exciting! This was a rich dynamic piece – most enjoyable.

49. BillM - When You Wish Upon A Star Ah Bill, I love your work! This is one of my favourites from Disney too – what a treat to hear your version of it! As always you’ve brought your own touch of charm to the piece and you certainly had me smiling! Complimenti!

50. Bessel - The Happy Farmer (Returning from Work), and Wild Horseman After hearing about these pieces in the ATOW thread I have been waiting with anticipation! That farmer certainly does sound happy – probably because it is the end of the day and he can go home and put is feet up. The Horseman sounded very dashing to me! Well done!

51. PianoStudent88 - Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115 I love this music! I think the recording didn’t do justice to your performance. I enjoyed listening to all the details of the compositions that you brought to life very effectively. Your ornamentation was particularly pretty!

52. Mar_red - Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley. The first piece was lovely – very touching, and with a sitting-by-the-fireside coziness to it. I could picture a family going about their evening activities, almost as though I was looking through a window of a doll house. As for the second… what a great cheery piece to lead us into the holiday season.. ok a tad early but what the heck! I’m always ready for Christmas music. Yours was a really delightful version - I really enjoyed it. (loved the flourish at the end!)

53. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor Um. I have to say that there isn’t anything about this piece that sounds easy to me! Well done -and with an injured finger too! Your progress continues to astonish me! Wow!

54. Norrec, Tim - Solitude That’s a very pretty piece, very prettily played! Well done indeed!

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri Well, I can say that I didn’t recognize any of the bits you thought would be easy to spot, but I certainly did enjoy this. I can hear that you had tremendous fun with this piece. The various voices are really great and you definitely created a tension-building mood! What a dynamic, dramatic conclusion to our November recital!

What a simply wonderful recital! Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to prepare and contribute to making this event such a special one!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Originally Posted by casinitaly

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby Ken this was really great! I was interested to see that you’d not done another Monk and to be very honest, I enjoyed this more than the rather “particular” pieces you’ve done before smile

Thanks Casinitaly! I think you've got me confused with the other "Ken" who normally submits a Monk tune. Although, I do have a version of Ruby, My Dear that I can post if we miss the other Ken too much smile

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I cannot believe this is my 16th ABF recital. Next recital it will be 4 years, which means 5 years since I started playing again, since I played for a year before I got up the nerve to participate. You would think that I would be a much better player by now!

01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover This is really seamless Carlos. I cannot tell where Einaudi ends and Carlos begins.

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand Welcome to the ABF Recital. It's great when someone is inspired by a piece of music to take up the piano - excellent job.

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772) Very well done. I always feel so exposed when playing Bach, since the slightest slip is noticeable. Nice ornaments.

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun Mesmerizing. Loved the video. Where's your fallboard?

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses Excellent job. I think this is your best recital piece yet. Of course, I love this piece. You did a good job on the ornaments and bringing out the inner voices. I do prefer a steadier tempo, but that's your call.

06. Amaruk - Summer '78 Fantastic video!

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1 Very interesting - your feeling for this piece shows in your playing.

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936) Very clean and precise. You sound like you have an excellent touch.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge This sounds so professional - just like the real thing! You could get a job in a piano bar...

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1 I think you accomplished your goal of loosening up - sounds marvelous.

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover Very interesting - you put a lot of work into this and it shows.

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor Nicely done. Loved the ending. One "simple" thing you can do to improve it is to watch for abrupt pedal changes. As one of my teachers constantly reminded me, "the pedal is not an on-off switch". He meant there were many gradations of pedal and not to be so abrupt with it...

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena Love that old piano sound. Your piano matches the piece!

14. ladypayne - Early Winter Sounds very Einaudi-like. Lots of energy and drive.

15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sandy Sounds like a rainy day - nicely done.

16. BenPiano - Poem very calm and soothing.

17. Monica K. - Opening Excellent playing, Monica.

18. cgyan / Iain - Morning Light Very interesting piece, nicely played.

19. Jazztpt (Russ) - You See Soulful...

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day Groovy...

21. Andy Platt - Gavotte and Variations Two French baroque pieces in one recital! This is just beautiful - it sounds so delicate and refined.

22. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Romanza and The Little Music Box I just loved these two pieces! The video was well done too.

23. SandTiger - Shimmer Very interesting - thanks for sharing.

24. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Meditation Very lush and full - great job.

25. Hawgdriver - Nocturne in B flat minor, Op. 9/1 I' amazed at how well you do without a teach - keep up the good work!

26. MusicaMusique - Je t'aimais, je t'aime, je t'aimerai Welcome to the ABF Recitals! I really liked it...

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby I can imagine how hard it is to do these pieces - very impressive.

28. MaryBee - Bagatelle No.25 in A minor (Fur Elise) It's a real joy to hear this without the usual compromises and student mistakes. Excellent job. You are braver than I am - I think I would veto my teacher if she suggested I try this!

That's enough for now - more to come.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kenjazz
Originally Posted by casinitaly

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby Ken this was really great! I was interested to see that you’d not done another Monk and to be very honest, I enjoyed this more than the rather “particular” pieces you’ve done before smile

Thanks Casinitaly! I think you've got me confused with the other "Ken" who normally submits a Monk tune. Although, I do have a version of Ruby, My Dear that I can post if we miss the other Ken too much smile

Oh dear!!!! I'm sorry, you're quite right, I did get mixed up! ...well, I really did like your piece! smile I wasn't mixed up on that!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Riddler: This song has a very different feel to it. Well done! It must have been fun to learn. smile

timmyab: I love how smooth you made this sound. Bravo!

Mr. Super-Hunky: Nicely done! This is one of my fav metallica songs. smile I think you brought out the melody beautifully.

Jake S: Only 10 months playing? Wow. Nice job!

Wj3: Nope that doesn't sound very easy. Excellent!

ladypayne: I really liked this. I could just visualize skaters on a pond, with little kiddies falling down and graceful women swooping by. LOL

(was)truebeginner: Very nice! It's very soothing to listen to.

Benpiano: Excellent! I think I need to listen to this a bit more to be able to say what the story is.. smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
...while I was working on my old pickup truck with his boombox blaring away with heavy metal screechings including those of Metallica - after a short while I had to throw all three of them out (nephew, boombox & Metallica)

Kept the truck, I see thumb

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V

Casinitaly: Thank you for the encouraging comments! I’m sorry there was static when you listened to it. frown I cannot hear the interference myself when I listen using the online streamer on my computer so I’m not sure what is happening with the file. If anyone else hears the static let me know and maybe I can figure out how to record so that does not happen. I want to work out the kinks in the recording process before the next recital.

Yes this piece may always be a work in progress for me. But when I started I could hardly read the notes on the score. So the fact that I can play it through now from memory is a real achievement and very exciting for me. Also, part of why I submitted this piece was in the spirit of anti-elitism, because it seems in some realms, (I am not speaking of here!) there is a snobbery around pieces like this. It’s as if such pieces should only be attempted and performed if you can play the piece to a certain standard or if you are a certain calibre of pianist (of which I am not). Given the fact that such ideas are ‘out there’, I was *very* nervous about posting this snippet, but a friend assured me I would not be ridiculed if I posted it for this ABF recital. So far so good! :P

Richard: Thank you for your kind words and I hope you are right about approaching a period of accelerated progress!! It’s been slow going getting back into playing this past year, but it seems I’m finally able to start putting a few pieces together. Although I have a long way to go musically and technically. I look forward to performing with you in the upcoming Songs Without Words recital.

It’s been wonderful listening to everyone’s entries. Thank you for sharing and for inspiring me with your playing!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Valencia, I just realized that I accidentally skipped your entry. I didn't recall listening to your piece and I looked back and sure enough, the entry was blank on my first post. Sorry about that and I revised my post to now add my comments about your 25/11. So please read it on the first page. Great work! I hope I didn't miss anyone else.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton
I'm on the road ( I'm showing my paintings at the Paradise City art show in Marlborough Ma. If any of you all are in the area come by and say hi) with just my iPhone to access the web so I won't be able to listen till next week, it looks to be an awesome recital !!

Hey Peyton. Give me some time. I'll put all the recital files in "box.com" site to share with you (i think you can listen them with iPhone, right?)
Meanwhile, I have had a terrible day at office, so I'm going to listen this recital only this weekend.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
53. Sam Rose Shmuel R
piece: C.P.E. Bach, Solfeggietto Solfeggio in C Minor
technical:
clipping: no, you in fact have plenty room to spare so you could pull up the recording level a bit.
balance L/R: ok
noise: little
bass: not in the piece
depth of field: ok, not very deep. I would try how it sounds a little further away from the piano to bring in a little more room ambience if your room permits so. For this piece, I think this might well be the optimal position, while for Chopin you might want a bit more depth.
piano sound: great (but I can't judge the bass since it's virtually absent ) . your fresh tuning and careful mic positioning pays off. I do not hear too much hammer sounds and attacks, which is also good for classic stuff (jazz players might want to hear more hammers). This is a good piece to judge the piano sound, because of the loose staccato lines. So if it sounds good with this kind of stuff, it will probably sound great with the pieces with big chords, legato and pedal.

musical:
overall impression, like:
Hey, this sounds vaguely familiar! I think I really butchered this one as one of the first pieces I submitted here :-D You made a very nice take. You are right that this definitely not easy if you try to play it presto. You have a much better control over the notes here than I had, making it sound much better and "slower" at almost the same speed that I took.
I remember the end differently, are there multiple different versions around?
Ok, so this is all very nicely played, I'm now switching to detail mode wink
Phrasing: I think the phrasing should be brought out a bit clearer. It sounds too even and almost like a single long line. From what I remember there is not much in the score to use here, but I think one has to make up phrases in such cases. In this piece I think it helps to locate out a few "key" melody notes and play the rest as the harmonic filler. You do this once somewhere in the beginning but could be used in other places as well. Also because you play it all so smooth, the piece does not come really to life in my ears. Oh well, just my taste, others might just see such phrasing as unevenness.
rubato, speed changes: yes as you said, the hardness of the particular part is too much your speed guide. Particularly the final phrase is suddenly a LOT faster, there is too much difference from the part before it, I don't hear anything in the music warranting such a speedup. Some nit-picking: I think that like me, you are going into auto-pilot and rolling chords when it gets hard, and you can hear it if you know how that sounds, eg at 0:15 and 0:36.
Dynamics: yes there is, but it seems mostly from the left hand chords and the pedal, not so much in the melody. I know it is difficult to achieve at this speed but I think it could help bring the piece more to life.
articulation: The parts that are without pedal, as right from the start is nice. Very clear, smooth sound. I don't agree with the part just over halfway, where you start to use some pedal. The pedal blurs the clarity that you need so much at this speed. Also playing part without and part with pedal makes the sound a little inconsistent. I would do without pedal at all (but I do almost all pieces without so don't pay too much attention to that wink )

Last edited by wouter79; 11/16/12 02:35 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W

I think mahlzeit set it up that way deliberately, because some people didn't want the compression that goes on during normalization.

Ok I really appreciate if it works that way, please keep it that way and don't modify the originals. I really want to avoid compression and artefacts.

Last edited by wouter79; 11/16/12 02:41 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My next batch of listening pleasure...

29. Allard - Before the Last Leaf Falls Welcome to the ABF Recitals! This was wonderful for your first time. Hope you have many more recitals ahead.

30. Jazzwee - Blue Monk A real live performance! This is so great - wonderful job. Sounds like the audience loved it.

31. zrtf90 (Richard) - Romance Sans Paroles, Op. 17 No. 3 This was really well done, but I swear, at times, I heard the melody of "Red River Valley" peeking through. It's an American folk song, maybe you aren't familiar with it in Ireland. So yeah, I had to overlook that and listen again. You do a great job of bringing out the melody.

32. TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner - Be Thou My Vision This is really lovely Dennis - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

33. Serge88 - My Way "I did it myyyy waaaay" <- that's me singing while you play - thanks for that!

34. LizAnne - Elegy Op.183, No.2 Very nice LizAnne - I heard some dynamics in there...

35. MrPozor - The Doll's Funeral Nicely done. Piano sounds good, at least mostly in tune with itself, but it could use a tuning, especially if you haven't had one in a while.

36. lyricmudra - Consolation No. 3 Excellent performance - very enjoyable. You have a nice clear touch. And the piano sounds great.

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You Very well done TJ. I'll be seeing you...

38. DadAgain (& DadAgains Daughter) - Rondo Op163 #6 Wow, wish I could do this well with only 2 weeks to prepare. I am so jealous.

39. Ganddalf - Prelude Op.45 I hope we can still learn at 62, because I am just a few years behind you! Excellent job - wish I could play this well...

41. joangolfing - Elves' Dance Really good job on the staccato notes and chords - well done...

More to come...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Originally Posted by Peyton
I'm on the road ( I'm showing my paintings at the Paradise City art show in Marlborough Ma. If any of you all are in the area come by and say hi) with just my iPhone to access the web so I won't be able to listen till next week, it looks to be an awesome recital !!

Hey Peyton. Give me some time. I'll put all the recital files in "box.com" site to share with you (i think you can listen them with iPhone, right?)
Meanwhile, I have had a terrible day at office, so I'm going to listen this recital only this weekend.

Carlos, you are a champ but don't worry about me. I should have plenty of Time to listen when I get home next week. Hearing the pieces on the phone does not do them much justice anyway.

Sam, I took the fall board off to tune the piano and, just to be different, left it off for the video.

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission