Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
85 registered (ando, anamnesis, Anita Potter, Anne'sson, accordeur, Almaviva, 24 invisible), 1403 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1987622 - 11/16/12 09:04 PM Duets: do you think that students do better if +++
riley80 Offline

Loc: Florida
Primo and Secondo are on separate pages or together? Do you start them one way or the other or does it matter little? Which do students find less confusing?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1987642 - 11/16/12 10:31 PM Re: Duets: do you think that students do better if +++ [Re: riley80]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
I think that duets (on the same piano) are always on separate pages and piano duets (on two pianos) are on the same page/system.

If anything I would assume that it would be easier for a beginner to see just his/her two staves and play as they always play, but listen something additional on the back, rather than see two extra staves bellow his/her and having to decide what to play, how to 'gap' these two and move on to the next two and so on...

#1987730 - 11/17/12 08:32 AM Re: Duets: do you think that students do better if +++ [Re: riley80]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
This is my understanding as well as far as how music is generally notated. If you have music that is not on separate pages for Primo and Secondo, then I'd photocopy and cut and paste them so that they were that way. I think it's very important since kids are not used to reading on a multi-staff system.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1987777 - 11/17/12 11:28 AM Re: Duets: do you think that students do better if +++ [Re: riley80]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
As a student with about 3 yrs experience I can tell you that seperate pages is MUCH less stressful! No doubt about it.

#1987827 - 11/17/12 01:51 PM Re: Duets: do you think that students do better if +++ [Re: riley80]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
As a student, I'm ok either way. Same page makes it easier to see what is going on for the other player--"Oh! He has a rest here--I need to keep playing!"

#1987846 - 11/17/12 02:39 PM Re: Duets: do you think that students do better if +++ [Re: riley80]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
I think as a teacher, I like to see two scores together in one page so that I know what is going on for both players in my studio. However, I think my students response better when they are in separate page because it is less confusing.
Conclusion, I just hope that all the publishers will publish the duet in two version:
1. Secondo and Primo in separate page for easy use for students, and
2. Secondo and Primo in same page for easy use for teachers.

Just like the orchestra score, it is easier for the conductor to read the conductor score with all the instruments, but easier for orchestra player to see only his or her part on the page.

That is my opinions.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#1987898 - 11/17/12 05:17 PM Re: Duets: do you think that students do better if +++ [Re: riley80]
ymapazagain Offline

Loc: Hobart, Australia
I cannot STAND it when duet parts are written on the same page. It seems unnecessarily confusing and even I (the teacher!) find it difficult to read sometimes. Unfortunately a lot of beginner/elementary duet books seem to be laid out this way. I have numerous duet books that I just haven't used yet as it would definitely require some photocopying, cutting and pasting before I'd be happy to present it to a student.

#1987971 - 11/17/12 09:11 PM Re: Duets: do you think that students do better if +++ [Re: riley80]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Dallas Weekley and Nancy Arganbright, the noted team of duet players and editors, have decided it is better to print the Primo and Secondo parts on the same page, one on top of another, with all the measures aligned. All of their recent editions of duet music do that.

However, I've also seen recent editions of duets that print Primo on the right and Secondo on the left. These recent editions have made improvements from horrible, older editions in these ways:
1) the editors have clearly labeled measure numbers instead of the dumb rehearsal "letters,"
2) each system (between Primo and Secondo) starts on the same measure in the music,
3) the print is large and clear, and
4) there is a lot of margin and space between systems in which to pencil in rehearsal notes.

#1987989 - 11/17/12 11:08 PM Re: Duets: do you think that students do better if +++ [Re: AZNpiano]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Dallas Weekley and Nancy Arganbright, the noted team of duet players and editors, have decided it is better to print the Primo and Secondo parts on the same page, one on top of another, with all the measures aligned. All of their recent editions of duet music do that.
My reason for not going that way and instead opting for the left-right page is that:

a. It could be mixed as a piano duet in two pianos, quite easily (and frankly this is what traditionally looks like)
b. It's far harder for each pianist to actually follow while performing. (more about that later)

Quote:
However, I've also seen recent editions of duets that print Primo on the right and Secondo on the left. These recent editions have made improvements from horrible, older editions in these ways:
1) the editors have clearly labeled measure numbers instead of the dumb rehearsal "letters,"
2) each system (between Primo and Secondo) starts on the same measure in the music,
3) the print is large and clear, and
4) there is a lot of margin and space between systems in which to pencil in rehearsal notes.
Without having studied other quatre mains scores, I can say that I did all 4 of the above because... they made sense.

measure numbers, same system and same measure number, large and clear (all the score anyhow) and ample marginal space.

I should also note that, while for printing it IS inconvenient and costs more, I went for landscape format instead of portrait: It's much better in the eye of the duet, sitting on the same bench, etc. Tried the portrait version, and couldn't work with it as a pianist!

Ahhh... why not?

Here's a couple of pages from the first work in my work. Keep in mind that page 2 (the first link) doesn't have a page number, exactly because it's the very fist page of a 40 page score!)

http://www.musica-ferrum.com/images/ps2.jpg
and
http://www.musica-ferrum.com/images/ps3.jpg

#1988086 - 11/18/12 09:31 AM Re: Duets: do you think that students do better if +++ [Re: riley80]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Measure numbers are essential in any case

I guess, players who could get through the music perfectly without rehearsal might not need them, but in my house, we need to rehearse, and so we need measure numbers.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
12/20/14 09:17 PM
Guide to skills level
by Gemgem
12/20/14 08:55 PM
piano with willie
by TonyB
12/20/14 08:25 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160028 Topics
2349993 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission