Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1987705 - 11/17/12 05:06 AM Moving a piano = tuning?
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
I'm seeing this increasingly on adverts.

That once a piano is moved i.e. put on the back of a pickup or a van of somekind and drive. It will need to be retuned.

Secondly just how sensitive/tolerant are acoustic pianos to temperature variations?

A place I am going to move to in a couple of months. In winter it goes down to -13C while in the summer it can get to +35C

Even in one day I may turn the heating on for a few hours to get it to about 15C, but will turn it off when I leave the house letting it cool to 4-6C because heating is expensive.

Potentially next year is even more whack. As its 34C 100% humidity day and night. When I get in I'd turn the air conditioning on reducing this 34C 100% humidity to 21C and 30% humidity, this would utterly kill an acoustic piano right?

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1987922 - 11/17/12 06:38 PM Re: Moving a piano = tuning? [Re: justpin]
That Guy Offline

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Yes, it all affects the piano. Humidity is the main factor because of the wood swelling and shrinking. It depends too on the quality and age of the piano to begin with. In our world as piano tuners having a piano tuned is just a normal part of owning a piano. If you ask us, "Does my piano need tuned?", you're usually going to get a "Yes". Theoretically (and this is really getting picky) a piano always needs tuning to a greater or lessor degree.

Here's a product that you could look into that would help control the humidity - http://www.musicsorbonline.com/
www.thattuningguy.com

#1987956 - 11/17/12 08:24 PM Re: Moving a piano = tuning? [Re: justpin]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: justpin
I'm seeing this increasingly on adverts.

That once a piano is moved i.e. put on the back of a pickup or a van of somekind and drive. It will need to be retuned.

Secondly just how sensitive/tolerant are acoustic pianos to temperature variations?

A place I am going to move to in a couple of months. In winter it goes down to -13C while in the summer it can get to +35C

Even in one day I may turn the heating on for a few hours to get it to about 15C, but will turn it off when I leave the house letting it cool to 4-6C because heating is expensive.

Potentially next year is even more whack. As its 34C 100% humidity day and night. When I get in I'd turn the air conditioning on reducing this 34C 100% humidity to 21C and 30% humidity, this would utterly kill an acoustic piano right?

OK. First of all, the piano never knows where it is. There is nothing intrinsic to a change of location that makes the piano go out of tune. The main principle to remember is that it is mainly a change in relative humidity that causes most of going out of tune. This may happen from . . .
1) Moving from one location to another that has a different relative humidity.
2) Staying in the same place and having the relative humidity change. As I explain to my customers here in the upper midwest, "Just sitting here your piano experiences the equivalent of a ride between Arizona and Houston every year."

Other factors that are minor are . . .
1) temperature -- in and of itself, not as a factor in changing relative humidity. Normally change in temperature (like hot to cold to hot) will not cause a permanent change in tuning once the piano restabilizes to normal temperature.
2) Vibration and jostling. Can happen and sometimes on certain vertical pianos, the whole plate can be flexed just by moving or having the casters at a different level. Sometimes it might jar out a poorly set string. Or, if it is a grand piano moved on its side and the dampers are off the strings, there can even be string breakage caused by perpetual string vibration on a cross-country move.
3) Playing. Heavy playing can contribute to strings "letting go" if the piano is not well stabilized by frequent tunings.

One other consideration . . .
What do you mean (or accept) by "out of tune"? What is (or is not) acceptable for a piano being used for recording sessions may be perfectly acceptable for a casual player. The one might need at least touch up between sessions on the same day. The other may be OK for 6 months.

#1987975 - 11/17/12 09:40 PM Re: Moving a piano = tuning? [Re: justpin]
Monaco Offline

Loc: GA
Check out DamppChaser.com

#1988273 - 11/18/12 06:59 PM Re: Moving a piano = tuning? [Re: justpin]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Thanks for all your replies.

The answer to can I ever own an acoustic appears to be no!

cry

#1988292 - 11/18/12 08:34 PM Re: Moving a piano = tuning? [Re: justpin]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
The amount of money that you would have to spend acquiring and caring for a decent used acoustic piano, less the amount you could sell it for, is probably less than what you would have to spend for a digital instrument and its repair and replacements, if you keep it long enough.

#1988409 - 11/19/12 07:32 AM Re: Moving a piano = tuning? [Re: justpin]
Olek Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Yamaha verticals from the 80 ar really resistive to high moisture, in my experience.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
182 registered (36251, accordeur, 55 invisible), 1743 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250430 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
04/18/14 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
04/18/14 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
04/18/14 04:15 PM
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
04/18/14 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/18/14 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission