Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1987626 - 11/16/12 09:10 PM Expanding into digital piano & organ repairs
Ryan Hassell Online   content

Loc: Farmington, MO
I don't know about you guys, but I routinely receive calls about working on digital pianos and organs. I usually just tell them that I only work on acoustic pianos. There is really no other name to give them, because no one around here even works on them. It am just wondering if anyone on this forum works on digitals and how would one go about learning how to do this?

Edited by Ryan Hassell (11/16/12 09:11 PM)
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1987672 - 11/17/12 12:40 AM Re: Expanding into digital piano & organ repairs [Re: Ryan Hassell]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Ryan, I suggest reading this and many of these questions will be answered for you.

http://mitatechs.org/faq

The newer keyboards are like computers, very specialized internals with parts available from the OEM only as long as they are willing to supply them...typically no more than 10 years...often less than this.

I get these same calls you do. If its not out of my way and I can schedule it in I will often drop by and try and help. I'm succesful about 30% of the time and the only reason for that is that its either an external or internal in line fuse blown. You need to figure out how to dissasemble some cabinet parts and do simple testing with a multi tester. These keyboards are very susceptable to power surges and spikes off the grid if not protected well with a quality surge protector. The organ work in churches and such and tubed older equipment is a whole thing in itself...MITA can help with this if your willing to give up a week to travel to Vegas for one of their specialized classes.

There arn't a lot of these techs out there. We have about 3 or 4 here that cover a population area of several million people.

#1987715 - 11/17/12 07:12 AM Re: Expanding into digital piano & organ repairs [Re: Emmery]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Emmery
Ryan, I suggest reading this and many of these questions will be answered for you.

http://mitatechs.org/faq

The newer keyboards are like computers, very specialized internals with parts available from the OEM only as long as they are willing to supply them...typically no more than 10 years...often less than this.

While this is true, I know several good electronics techs who have successfully repaired bad boards that were no longer available. A soldering iron and a supply store that can provide capacitors, diodes, and other electronic components can work wonders. Of course, these guys had the ability to follow pretty complex schematics and test each and every component until they found out where the problem was.

I did some warranty repair work for Suzuki once, and sure enough it consisted of replacing a bad system board. Once I figured out how to get the thing apart, it was no more difficult than installing a sound card in a computer.

#1994511 - 12/04/12 08:04 AM Re: Expanding into digital piano & organ repairs [Re: Ryan Hassell]
William Steward Offline

Loc: Cayman Islands
Ryan - I started dabbling in electronic keyboard repairs about ten years ago since there is really no one else in my community to do it. People started bringing me their problems usually as a last stop before taking the instrument to the dump. I got more confident after several successes. Over the years I have found the number of actual 'electronic' problems are a relatively minor percentage of repairs although it has got me learning more about basic electronics. The majority of repairs are mechanical issues - broken keys, key weights, dirty or misaligned key contacts, worn out rail felts. On 'electric' pianos (eg: Rhodes) the problems are even more basic and 90% mechanical - tine, hammer tip, and pickup replacement or adjustment / regulation of the moving parts. For a piano technician the repairs are not challenging although like acoustic pianos every one is different. Electronic and electric instruments are generally designed to be serviced so dissassembly is easy and mechanically much simpler than acoustic instruments.

If it is something beyond my capability I would be honest and not attempt a repair but have yet to get stumped...except by an old Korg home model keyboard. The overall pitch was approx. -30 cents and the replacement IC unvailable from even a vintage parts supplier. There were no adjustments on the board itself or internal program options to set pitch. My knowledge of electronic components did not allow me to troubleshoot this one. The thing was old, cheap and still played OK so decided to admit defeat. Even if I had diagnosed the problem, chances are parts for repair would be unavailable.

Edited by William Steward (12/04/12 10:54 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
Today at 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
Today at 04:49 AM
Is A443 banned definitively?
by Olek
Today at 04:01 AM
Ritmuller Grand Pianos - Help!
by Mike RSA
Today at 03:56 AM
J.D.Grandt Bass Strings Opinions Please
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:48 PM
Who's Online
86 registered (aesop, 36251, ando, Al LaPorte, 24 invisible), 1219 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158465 Topics
2327058 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission