Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1987582 - 11/16/12 06:48 PM Changing fingerings a day before performance?
albynism Offline

Yes or no? I had this passage which tear me up everytime and just then I discovered new fingerings which work better, I'm still kicking myself for not discovering it sooner. Performance is tomorrow should I stick with the old ones or get this new ones to set in...fast!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1987584 - 11/16/12 06:55 PM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
If it is only a passage I think it is OK if you feel more comfortable.

Music is my best friend.

#1987592 - 11/16/12 07:12 PM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Only you can weigh the obvious positives and negatives.

We also have absolutely no idea of your level, how big a change is involved, how much time you have to practice the new fingering. What piece and what passage?

#1987603 - 11/16/12 08:05 PM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: pianoloverus]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
I'd say stick with the old fingering. It's already been programmed into your muscles and neural network. A change now for a performance tomorrow might end up confusing your fingers and possibly lead to a slip up in that passage.

#1987616 - 11/16/12 08:47 PM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
riley80 Offline

Loc: Florida
In my experience, a last minute fingering 'discovery' proved to be dangerous. When the passage approached, I sort of panicked and flubbed between the old and new. Stick to the old, no matter how bad it seems. My 2 cents.......

If you a couple of weeks to practice it, then I'd say go ahead. If less time, no way.

#1987689 - 11/17/12 01:45 AM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Dangerous, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Whatever makes you more confident for the performance. If you do change it, make sure you get the practice in for new muscle memory, and not mix the two up during the performance. Although, don't overwork yourself.
(You know yourself best.) Good luck! Let us know how it goes. smile

#1987740 - 11/17/12 08:53 AM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I think sticking with the old at this point is best, and have it be a lesson learned for the future, that sometimes the reason you're not getting a passage if because of bad fingering choices for you.

I tried changing fingering last minute and it wasn't really solid enough for the performance so I ended up messing up that passage anyways. Like riley80 did, I was stuck between the old and the new.

edited to add: If it is a matter of changing just a couple of fingers or something minor like that, then I think you can go ahead with the new. But more complex passages are best left with the old IMO.

Edited by Morodiene (11/17/12 08:54 AM)
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1988001 - 11/18/12 12:09 AM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Ok thanks everyone for the advice. The performance was a disaster, not so much of the changed fingerings but the piano was so.. I dont know to describe it, I hate to blame the instrument, But the key depth was so shallow which threw me off and the surface was so slippery. I was playing Chopin etudes by the way which doesn't help because it starts fast. At least when It starts slow I can adapt to it gradually. Anyway I never experienced a piano like that before and i won't mention the brand. I'm gonna lock myself in my room now and cry frown

#1988072 - 11/18/12 08:51 AM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Often a performer's perceived "disaster" will still bring musical enjoyment to listeners. They aren't comparing the performance to your inner standard. Don't stay in the locked room too long!
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#1988165 - 11/18/12 01:13 PM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I vote for comfort. Always go with comfort. Nerves jack up a little on stage, even for the most calm of performers, and that little extra jolt can throw something "almost" comfortable completely out of whack. So, if you're comfortable changing the fingering, then go for it.

My guess is that you are not so comfortable doing so, since you are posing the question. In light of that, my advice would be to wait until after the performance to change the fingering--particularly if it's in a long, fast, and/or unrecoverable section.

#1988196 - 11/18/12 03:09 PM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
albynism Offline

Thanks jdw. Just woke up after a night of self-reflect. It was a complete disaster, I have never performed this badly before...but I guess it helps me grow as a performer. It's just funny that before the recital I have practiced so much, did all my homework, taken all the necessary steps to calm nerves etc, and then as soon as the first note hits the key everything just went out the window. I played on auto-pilot and felt like I was playing on ice, throughout the piece I just pray my fingers doesn't slip and somehow magically I would be transported back in time so I could start over again. :(((( anyway I guess I learn some lessons from this experience.

#1988208 - 11/18/12 03:48 PM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
In the future, if at all possible, try out the piano you will be performing on. It saves you from the shock of the first few notes, which can sometimes set you off balance for the whole piece.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1988217 - 11/18/12 04:09 PM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Piece and passage, please.

#1988617 - 11/19/12 05:04 PM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Are you sure it was that bad? Did you record it and listen to it later? Did your teacher confirm it?
Sometimes right after an exam or a performance we have the impression that we made mistakes that we didn't make. I don't know, maybe after the adrenaline surge when it goes down again it plays tricks on us. I always thought I had made mistakes I had not made after most exams, and then I had all highest grades and the mistakes were not there at all. But right after an exam I really had that impression, although after a few days I felt better.
At any rate, yes, it is always a good idea to try out the piano before a recital, not only to see if it is a good piano, but also because it just makes you feel better to play on a piano you have already tried out.

Music is my best friend.

#1990446 - 11/24/12 07:06 PM Re: Changing fingerings a day before performance? [Re: albynism]
Bluoh Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: albynism
Thanks jdw. Just woke up after a night of self-reflect. It was a complete disaster, I have never performed this badly before...but I guess it helps me grow as a performer. It's just funny that before the recital I have practiced so much, did all my homework, taken all the necessary steps to calm nerves etc, and then as soon as the first note hits the key everything just went out the window. I played on auto-pilot and felt like I was playing on ice, throughout the piece I just pray my fingers doesn't slip and somehow magically I would be transported back in time so I could start over again. :(((( anyway I guess I learn some lessons from this experience.

You know, maybe probably wasn't that bad.

Once, I remember thinking I flunked a piano exam, when I got a really good mark in the end.

Maybe it's the pressure and nerves building up on you, what with switching fingers and such.

But if nothing else, you've learned great lessons. smile (And heard wise words from great people over the internet.)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
Today at 08:14 PM
Kissin plays...
by JoelW
Today at 07:33 PM
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
Today at 05:51 PM
Dream Keys Complete - Your Opinion Please
by Vas
Today at 04:56 PM
First tuning my piano with TuneLab
by Pablo Arturi
Today at 04:03 PM
Who's Online
110 registered (accordeur, alans, 36251, Anne'sson, ando, 29 invisible), 1240 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157570 Topics
2314487 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission