2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Plowboy #1987745 11/17/12 10:15 AM
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
I thought I read that part of the purchase price was being held until they vacate.

This would argue that they won't be doing a lease-back.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Plowboy #1987750 11/17/12 10:41 AM
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hmmnn Steve,
That does seem to indicate they are leaving the hall.

We have a few Steinway company people among our members (and more watch the forums).

I've emailed one hoping he might consider straightening things out for us, although I'm
sure that will depend on the companies "official" position.

It would be a shame for them to have to leave that beautiful old building, but I know business is business.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Plowboy #1987760 11/17/12 11:36 AM
N
N
End of an era. Is this the beginning of the dismantling of Steinway & Sons as we know it? I have a hard time imagining that an Asian owner really cares or even understands what the S&S building, no less S&S itself means to Americans, New Yorkers and American pianists. In addition to the iconic brand, S&S also represents our glimmer of hope that America can still manufacturer a world class product, even in New York City.

If in fact Astoria is only putting out 1,500 pianos a year, things are very dire indeed for this great institution. How long can the factory exist? Having taken the tour of the factory earlier this year and seeing the size and complication of the plant is amazing. And probably amazingly expensive to maintain, especially in Queens. I'm afraid the writing is on the wall that future viewers of "Note By Note" will view it as a quaint historical memoir, instead of a documentary on a contemporary subject.

At least we will have all the Steinway pianos out there as testament of what was, even into the 21st century. That's if any pianos remain here in the United States, as opposed to most of them eventually being gobbled up and sent overseas to China and the Pacific Rim. China is already Steinway's biggest customer. With the Chinese population growing and becoming more prosperous, the demand for Steinways in the East will continue, even with the demise of S&S as we know it. So, it may come a day when a Steinway piano in North America may become as rare as hens' teeth.

This will be a boom to the rebuilders, but probably a big blow to the popularity of piano playing, so in the end, no one winds (except maybe Samick).

So sad and there is nothing we can do to stop the eventuality.

nylawbiz #1987766 11/17/12 11:57 AM
Plowboy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nylawbiz
End of an era. Is this the beginning of the dismantling of Steinway & Sons as we know it?

Hard to say. Kirkland and Messina are out. I think that might be a good thing. They said they were losing $5 million per year on the building, not sure why.

This deal of selling the band division to Messina and his crew smells, though.

Samick has a huge interest in the company. That might be a good thing, they are piano makers. Haven't they left Seiler in Germany alone since that buy out?

Reading between the lines of some of the last SEC filings, I bet Samick will end up making Bostons.

Gary
Plowboy #1987767 11/17/12 12:00 PM
Hello everyone -
There is not too much I can add at this point - other than to say that the announcement as reported by MMR is correct. Please remember that the building was sold once before - but we remained as tenants - and ultimately repurchased the building. The sky didn't fall, and the world did not come to an end. Nor will it this time, should this sale close.

We are certainly committed to the New York market, and will continue to have a major presence there.

As a 31 year Steinway & Sons employee, I can appreciate both sides of this. Steinway Hall is a facility that has been much more than a retail store, that's for sure. Yet if we step back and look at this objectively, it is not unreasonable for a company to look at all the factors involved in such a decision - then make the decision that they believe to ultimately be in the company's best interest. In fact, it would be irresponsible NOT to do so.

Lastly, and in response to the comments above that suggest this decision is indicative that Steinway is on the way out: nothing could be further from the truth. We've been around a long time - and have weathered many storms (including the very recent and literal storm). As far as whether this is the beginning of "the dismantling of Steinway & Sons": absolutely not! Our factory remains very busy, and our company continues to be profitable. the number of retail stores we now own is much higher than was the case 10 years ago. This has to do with one specific (an incredibly well known) retail location. It by no means suggests anything beyond that as to the overall future of Steinway & Sons - other than that our commitment to remain and thrive has not changed. Consider New York just for one last minute: 20 years ago, we had one major location. Today, we have four.

Our commitment to the New York retail market has grown; it has not diminished, nor will it.

I appreciate the fact that so many care about this. Thank you.

Bob Snyder
Senior District Manager
Steinway & Sons

rsnyder@steinway.com
www.steinway.com
Plowboy #1987775 11/17/12 12:22 PM
N
N
Glad to hear from you Bob, and the positive information and opinion you have shared. You know of my affection for S&S, I only hope for the best for the company.

If production is in fact down to 1,500 units a year, I can not imagine how such a small production can support a huge plant such as Astoria. I understand that rebuilding and parts has to help, but still, . . . How does a factory that size, located on what is now prime real estate in New york City, stay in place? Like so many businesses, S&S's New York real estate holdings may be too value to keep. The temptation to a CFO is too much. Looks like that was the motivation for the 57th Street deal, can an Astoria deal be far behind?

China is already Steinway's biggest customer. With the Chinese population growing and becoming more prosperous, the demand for Steinways in the East will continue,

This is true but to my information these are all Hamburgs.

Please someone correct me if this is wrong.

Norbert

N
N
I think you're right Norbert, but that is a result of how historically pianos were marketed by S&S. I believe that they have always supplied the East from Hamburg. Astoria was to cover the Western Hemisphere. So, the population of old Steinways in China are probably 99% Hamburgs. That's what the Chinese know. The NY Steinway is a great instrument, not any less than a Hamburg. We can argue over the differences, but I doubt there is a pianist from anywhere in the world, including China, who wouldn't fall in love with any properly working and tuned Steinway, whether it be form NY or Germany.

China is still a developing country, with a VAST population. There are probably 100's of millions of people who will want to learn how to play a piano ten years from now, who today have no idea what a Steinway is.

FWIW. I predict that 20 years from now, the piano industry will be booming like nothing seen before in history. Most likely, it will all be happening in China and the East.

The Great Carnac has spoken.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
China is # 38 in our list of visitors right now, but they have been gaining.
This is a list of visitors to Piano World over the past year...

1 United States 4,430,626
2 United Kingdom 816,816
3 Canada 621,953
4 Australia 351,508
5 Germany 169,590
6 Netherlands 119,156
7 France 116,205
8 Italy 106,015
9 Philippines 103,269
10 India 97,397
11 Singapore 93,829
12 Malaysia 84,791
13 Spain 77,871
14 Sweden 73,523
15 (not set) 66,469
16 Ireland 64,250
17 Brazil 58,467
18 New Zealand 55,162
19 Belgium 53,134
20 Poland 52,750
21 Indonesia 50,391
22 Finland 47,624
23 Mexico 47,388
24 Greece 42,662
25 South Africa 42,649
26 Denmark 41,668
27 Norway 41,098
28 Switzerland 40,191
29 Hong Kong 39,916
30 Portugal 39,095
31 Japan 34,666
32 Turkey 33,767
33 Russia 32,630
34 Romania 31,259
35 Thailand 29,592
36 Argentina 29,268
37 Israel 26,322
38 China 25,496
39 Vietnam 25,049
40 Czech Republic 24,159
41 Austria 23,539
42 Hungary 20,056
43 Croatia 16,139
44 Serbia 16,089
45 Slovenia 14,109
46 South Korea 14,089
47 Slovakia 13,657
48 United Arab Emirates 13,454
49 Taiwan 13,260
50 Ukraine 12,956

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

NY Steinway is a great instrument, not any less than a Hamburg. We can argue over the differences, but I doubt there is a pianist from anywhere in the world, including China, who wouldn't fall in love with any properly working and tuned Steinway, whether it be form NY or Germany.

Not so sure of this.

I know of several local pianists who went to great length obtaining Hamburgs from Germany.

Some German symphony orchestras I know replace their Hamburgs every 2 years and there seem always keen eyes out for some of those, also very much from this continent.

This is not to say that there aren't great New Yorks out there - of course there are, but 100% "made in Germany" still carries its weight around the world.

Especially in China..

Norbert

Plowboy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert
... but 100% "made in Germany" still carries its weight around the world.

That's "made in Germany" by an American company.

Gary
N
N
If more of the world was exposed to NY Steinways, NY Steinways would have equal esteem with German pianos. I assure you, among the billions of Chinese, there will be plenty of devotees to NY Steinways who can gobble up the existing population of NY pianos, plus the next 100 years worth of future production, at Steinway's current production levels. How long will this take, I haven't a clue.

Here are two hypothetical questions: If Steinway was able to move their production to China, and train workers there the methods and systems used in Astoria and Hamburg, how many pianos would they sell a year? Again, just for fun, imagine Steinway transplanting the Astoria factory, lock, stock and barrel with staff to China. How long would it take to train 20,000 Chinese craftsman to make the pianos exactly like they make them in New York or Germany?

Thank you Lang Lang!

nylawbiz #1987852 11/17/12 03:51 PM
Online Content
End of an era. Is this the beginning of the dismantling of Steinway & Sons as we know it? I have a hard time imagining that an Asian owner really cares or even understands what the S&S building, no less S&S itself means to Americans, New Yorkers and American pianists. In addition to the iconic brand, S&S also represents our glimmer of hope that America can still manufacturer a world class product, even in New York City.

If in fact Astoria is only putting out 1,500 pianos a year, things are very dire indeed for this great institution. How long can the factory exist? Having taken the tour of the factory earlier this year and seeing the size and complication of the plant is amazing. And probably amazingly expensive to maintain, especially in Queens. I'm afraid the writing is on the wall that future viewers of "Note By Note" will view it as a quaint historical memoir, instead of a documentary on a contemporary subject.

At least we will have all the Steinway pianos out there as testament of what was, even into the 21st century. That's if any pianos remain here in the United States, as opposed to most of them eventually being gobbled up and sent overseas to China and the Pacific Rim. China is already Steinway's biggest customer. With the Chinese population growing and becoming more prosperous, the demand for Steinways in the East will continue, even with the demise of S&S as we know it. So, it may come a day when a Steinway piano in North America may become as rare as hens' teeth.

This will be a boom to the rebuilders, but probably a big blow to the popularity of piano playing, so in the end, no one winds (except maybe Samick).

Completely idle speculation which seems to be totally or at least largely false based on on Bob Snyder's post.

Those familiar with Steinway's history know there have been many ups and downs with some of those difficult periods probably far worse than the present one. I don't understand why some seem so eager to be the bearers of doom.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/17/12 03:56 PM.
S
S
Originally Posted by Bob Snyder
Hello everyone -
There is not too much I can add at this point - other than to say that the announcement as reported by MMR is correct. Please remember that the building was sold once before - but we remained as tenants - and ultimately repurchased the building. The sky didn't fall, and the world did not come to an end. Nor will it this time, should this sale close.

We are certainly committed to the New York market, and will continue to have a major presence there.

As a 31 year Steinway & Sons employee, I can appreciate both sides of this. Steinway Hall is a facility that has been much more than a retail store, that's for sure. Yet if we step back and look at this objectively, it is not unreasonable for a company to look at all the factors involved in such a decision - then make the decision that they believe to ultimately be in the company's best interest. In fact, it would be irresponsible NOT to do so.

Lastly, and in response to the comments above that suggest this decision is indicative that Steinway is on the way out: nothing could be further from the truth. We've been around a long time - and have weathered many storms (including the very recent and literal storm). As far as whether this is the beginning of "the dismantling of Steinway & Sons": absolutely not! Our factory remains very busy, and our company continues to be profitable. the number of retail stores we now own is much higher than was the case 10 years ago. This has to do with one specific (an incredibly well known) retail location. It by no means suggests anything beyond that as to the overall future of Steinway & Sons - other than that our commitment to remain and thrive has not changed. Consider New York just for one last minute: 20 years ago, we had one major location. Today, we have four.

Our commitment to the New York retail market has grown; it has not diminished, nor will it.

I appreciate the fact that so many care about this. Thank you.

I have spoken to a number of industry pros and what Bob says ring true. Steinway insn't going anywhere.

My guess is the the realestate value of Steinway Hall exceeded the advantages Steinway could realize staying in that location.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

N
N
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Completely idle speculation which seems to be totally or at least largely false based on on Bob Snyder's post.

Those familiar with Steinway's history know there have been many ups and downs with some of those difficult periods probably far worse than the present one. I don't understand why some seem so eager to be the bearers of doom.

As the man says, "past performance is no indication of future results." The past machinations of S&S was when it was either a family owned company, or an American owned company. Times are different. S&S is controlled by a corporation with a different ethos than traditional values of American companies. Not to put Samick down (I really know little about them) but the days when S&S ran the business like a family are over. I cannot imagine that the current owners have any real commitment to New York, the United States, or American workers for that matter. Like most large businesses these days there are purely profit driven, focusing on short term profit goals, not long term goals. why would Samick keep Astoria going, if the majority of their customers are 8,000-10,000 miles away with strict import duties? Just makes total business sense to move production to China. At least at some point in the future. This is not what I hope for, but obviously you and I have no say in this, it is just seems the logical expectation from a country that is based in the Far East.

Does anyone dispute that the vast majority of pianos sales over the next 50 years will be in China and the Far East?

Can the Western Hemisphere support the Astoria factory? Can Astoria be profitable? Seems like a behemoth from an earlier era.

I believe that unless S&S is able to manufacture goods in Astoria that can be sold to a greater portion of the American buying public, it has to be on borrowed time, at best. I suggest that S&S use the Astoria factory to manufacture goods which is accessible to more American consumers. Maybe accessories for pianos (benches, music cabinets, lighting) or even market piano related paraphernalia such as artwork, collectibles, and memorabilia. I mean, they can even make artwork out of mounted action parts. Jewelry out of piano components. Things that a Steinway aficionado would purchase.

I presume that a large majority of US S&S sales are to institutions, not individuals. Steinway needs to offer American made products for the general consumer. $60,000-$130,000 sales are great, but in between those sales, there is nothing wrong with selling some lower ticket items (as they do with parts sales). Anything that does not diminish the prestige of the brand, while at the same time utilizing more of the factory and workers in Astoria.

N
N
[/quote] My guess is the the real estate value of Steinway Hall exceeded the advantages Steinway could realize staying in that location. [/quote]

Couldn't the same be said of the Astoria factory?

nylawbiz #1988124 11/18/12 12:20 PM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
[/quote] My guess is the the real estate value of Steinway Hall exceeded the advantages Steinway could realize staying in that location.

Couldn't the same be said of the Astoria factory? [/quote]

No.

Midtown real estate is far more expensive than Astoria Queens. By my calculations, they would need to sell 1/3 of their entire annual production out of the NYC Midtown location in order to break even. Not likely given the number of retail locations in the rest of the United States.

Whereas the location is nice and the entire process of getting registered to go in etc is "exclusive". I imagine they get nowhere near the traffic they would if they had a smaller store on 58th street like the other piano stores in NYC. They need to change their marketing from "are you qualified to spend what we are demanding?" to "we make the very best so you should your spend your piano dollars here".

Regards,

Grotriman
nylawbiz #1988130 11/18/12 12:41 PM
Online Content

As the man says, "past performance is no indication of future results." The past machinations of S&S was when it was either a family owned company, or an American owned company. Times are different. S&S is controlled by a corporation with a different ethos than traditional values of American companies. Not to put Samick down (I really know little about them) but the days when S&S ran the business like a family are over. I cannot imagine that the current owners have any real commitment to New York, the United States, or American workers for that matter. Like most large businesses these days there are purely profit driven, focusing on short term profit goals, not long term goals. why would Samick keep Astoria going, if the majority of their customers are 8,000-10,000 miles away with strict import duties? Just makes total business sense to move production to China. At least at some point in the future. This is not what I hope for, but obviously you and I have no say in this, it is just seems the logical expectation from a country that is based in the Far East.

Does anyone dispute that the vast majority of pianos sales over the next 50 years will be in China and the Far East?

Can the Western Hemisphere support the Astoria factory? Can Astoria be profitable? Seems like a behemoth from an earlier era.

I believe that unless S&S is able to manufacture goods in Astoria that can be sold to a greater portion of the American buying public, it has to be on borrowed time, at best. I suggest that S&S use the Astoria factory to manufacture goods which is accessible to more American consumers. Maybe accessories for pianos (benches, music cabinets, lighting) or even market piano related paraphernalia such as artwork, collectibles, and memorabilia. I mean, they can even make artwork out of mounted action parts. Jewelry out of piano components. Things that a Steinway aficionado would purchase.

I presume that a large majority of US S&S sales are to institutions, not individuals. Steinway needs to offer American made products for the general consumer. $60,000-$130,000 sales are great, but in between those sales, there is nothing wrong with selling some lower ticket items (as they do with parts sales). Anything that does not diminish the prestige of the brand, while at the same time utilizing more of the factory and workers in Astoria.
I see the fact that your first lengthy post was shown to be mostly/entirely incorrect hasn't discouraged you from further idle speculation.

Plowboy #1988138 11/18/12 01:09 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Enough with the guesses and speculation folks.

I don't think it would matter if Steinway was family owned, U.S. company owned, non- U.S. owned, a combination, or whatever. Whoever owns the company would want to do what they had to in order to survive and succeed.
In the end the important thing to me is that we don't lose any more venerable old piano manufacturers (and we hopefully keep jobs here in the U.S.).

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

I see the fact that your first lengthy post was shown to be mostly/entirely incorrect hasn't discouraged you from further idle speculation.

Right, let's slow down here . We don't even know if Steinway is leaving the hall yet, let alone any other changes. wow, talk about getting ahead of the facts....

and to my knowledge, Samick does not have controlling ownership of Steinway.
Plus even if that were to happen S&S might be just fine. It does seem that Bosendorfer is somehow surviving under Yamaha's ownership and maintaining its identity and quality. The sky is not falling at this point.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission