Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1986885 - 11/14/12 10:46 PM Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean?
Vas Offline

I am going to embarrass myself by showing my ignorance.

Here it goes: Crotchet, is this a stunted, very brief, flat, muffled, stifled, thump or brief note? It almost sound like and accident but I like the briefness. It seems it is a note with mostly attack and little or no decay and no sustain. Is this attained by the foot pedal? Did I get the definition wrong? In any case can someone clue me in on what is a stunted, very brief, flat, muffled, stifled, thump or brief note called. This is not heard often on a piano recital but find it pleasant.

I found it here: http://www.imperfectsamples.com/website/samples/steinwayconcertgrand/compare.php “true Crotchet”.

Comments?

By the Way I love Imperfect Samples' Steinway & Sons 1908 Walnut Concert Grand.

PS. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1986909 - 11/15/12 12:30 AM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: Vas]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
A crotchet is a quarter note. I am not sure what it is on that website though.

Music is my best friend.

#1986922 - 11/15/12 01:41 AM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: Vas]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I once crotcheted a rug.

#1986929 - 11/15/12 02:00 AM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: Vas]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
The word "true crotchet" is not really something we would discuss in musical terms, it's more of a technological description for a sampled piano. I believe what it is describing is a group of samples based on the length of a crotchet beat. On a real piano, if you play normal crochets, you release the key just before each new crotchet which briefly activates the damper. If a sampler does this, it will sound more realistic than if there are only long samples which are cut short and re-triggered each time a crotchet is played. Without "true crotchets" you wouldn't hear the sound of the dampers in between, which is a slight detachment.

#1987098 - 11/15/12 01:35 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: Vas]
Vas Offline

Hello,

Looks like I am getting special help form the Piano World elite. Thanks for your input.

So a quartet note is identical to a crotchet or just similar?
In Cubase I tried very short midi notes of sampled pianos but did not achieve the effect I describe herein.

The sound I am referring to which I occasionally hear from a piano recital reminds me of a percussive sound. As stated earlier a stunted, very brief, flat, muffled, stifled, thump. So again does this have a name? Is the quarter note/crotchet? An audio example would be extremely helpful.

I do not at present have a keyboard to check anything out on my own. Looking a the Roland RD700NX or the RD700GX but may settle on a midi keyboard controller.

#1987133 - 11/15/12 03:13 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: Vas]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Crotchet is the British term for quarter note, so, yes, they are exactly the same. smile

Music is my best friend.

#1987134 - 11/15/12 03:21 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: Vas]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Vas
[...]
The sound I am referring to which I occasionally hear from a piano recital reminds me of a percussive sound. As stated earlier a stunted, very brief, flat, muffled, stifled, thump. So again does this have a name? Is the quarter note/crotchet? An audio example would be extremely helpful.
[...]

You may be referring to a note that is to be played "staccato." That is a term applied to notes that are played (from the Dolmetsch on-line music dictionary)

Staccato (French m. from the Italian staccato) detached, jerky
staccato (s.), staccati (pl.) (Italian) detached, jerky (for example, [...] manner of playing a musical line), separato (Italian), abgestoßen (German), gestoßen (German), détaché (French), piqué (French)

There are, of course, varying degrees of staccato from lightly detached without emphasis to sharply detached and strongly accented. I would hesitate to use the work "jerky" when talking about staccato playing, as, more often than not, a phrase with staccato notes is played as regularly as any other phrase, while "jerky" implies - to me - an irregular rhythm.

I'm not sure what this has to do with crotchet, however. As others have mentioned, in many English-speaking countries "crotchet" is the same as "quarter-note."

I did find, on the same Dolmetsch site the following for "crotchet" :

Crotchet : on early pedal harps, small metal Ls which are drawn by the action towards the neck to shorten the sounding length of the harp

so, in the context of the web-site you linked, it may indeed have something to do with the duration of a sampled note.

Regards,

#1987137 - 11/15/12 03:35 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: Vas]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

That website you linked to also has "true staccato", but it doesn't seem to have any samples of it.

Music is my best friend.

#1987467 - 11/16/12 01:02 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: BruceD]
Vas Offline

Originally Posted By: BruceD
[...]
[...]

You may be referring to a note that is to be played "staccato." That is a term applied to notes that are played (from the Dolmetsch on-line music dictionary)

Staccato (French m. from the Italian staccato) detached, jerky
staccato (s.), staccati (pl.) (Italian) detached, jerky (for example, [...] manner of playing a musical line), separato (Italian), abgestoßen (German), gestoßen (German), détaché (French), piqué (French)

There are, of course, varying degrees of staccato from lightly detached without emphasis to sharply detached and strongly accented. I would hesitate to use the work "jerky" when talking about staccato playing, as, more often than not, a phrase with staccato notes is played as regularly as any other phrase, while "jerky" implies - to me - an irregular rhythm.

I'm not sure what this has to do with crotchet, however. As others have mentioned, in many English-speaking countries "crotchet" is the same as "quarter-note."

I did find, on the same Dolmetsch site the following for "crotchet" :

Crotchet : on early pedal harps, small metal Ls which are drawn by the action towards the neck to shorten the sounding length of the harp

so, in the context of the web-site you linked, it may indeed have something to do with the duration of a sampled note.

Regards,

Perhaps staccato is what I am referring to. blush For some reason I always thought of staccato of a series of notes but it seems it can be a single note. blush I have a lot to learn yet. cry laugh

It seems that a single staccato note is accomplished in a different manner than a crotchet note. Staccato is shorter in duration than a crotchet. Correct?

#1987468 - 11/16/12 01:04 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: ChopinAddict]
Vas Offline

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
That website you linked to also has "true staccato", but it doesn't seem to have any samples of it.

Yes, I emailed Imperfect Samples and asked for an audio example but should have also asked for a staccato audio example.

#1987471 - 11/16/12 01:12 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: Vas]
BruceD Offline

[...]
It seems that a single staccato note is accomplished in a different manner than a crotchet note. Staccato is shorter in duration than a crotchet. Correct?

Well, yes, in principle. You should keep in mind, however that staccato refers to a type of approach or manner of playing a note while crotchet is a term indicating relative duration in time of a note, i.e. relative to a semi-breve (whole note) minim (half-note), quaver (eighth-note), semi-quaver (sixteenth-note), etc.

Regards,

#1987544 - 11/16/12 04:58 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: Vas]
Vas Offline

I received this from www.imperfectsamples.com

TrueCrotchet just means that slow crotchets of around half a second in length were recorded (varying), and you can load it up as an instrument. In this sense, they aren't spliced together like most samples. Practically, this instrument can be used as a special effect if you're interested.

The Steinway has a round robin feature for repeated notes, which pitch shifts samples from above and below to create different repeat notes. This however, I find, is rarely necessary and I prefer the instrument on all its default settings. In fact, all the demos were done with default settings.

#1987744 - 11/17/12 09:10 AM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: Vas]
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Crotchet, breve, minim, quaver, semi-quaver and mensural notation--all seem like a holdover vocabulary from the middle ages to me, that is somewhat still in use in Great Britain, and much less so in the USA. I have no sense of how these words and concepts are used in non-English speaking nations.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#1987816 - 11/17/12 01:19 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: tomasino]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: tomasino
Crotchet, breve, minim, quaver, semi-quaver and mensural notation--all seem like a holdover vocabulary from the middle ages to me, that is somewhat still in use in Great Britain, and much less so in the USA. I have no sense of how these words and concepts are used in non-English speaking nations.

Tomasino

... and surely we don't want to forget :
- demisemiquaver (32nd note)
- hemidemisemiquaver (64th note) and
- semihemidemisemiquaver (128th note), a.k.a. quasihemidemisemiquaver!

Cheers!

Edited by BruceD (11/17/12 01:20 PM)

#1987840 - 11/17/12 02:18 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: BruceD]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Don't forget that the British are (or used to be) people in love with words. Just read Shakespeare, Dickens, or even Jane Austen: 'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.' (Pride and Prejudice). How can one reduce that to the mundane 'A rich man needs a wife'? grin

Similarly, why say 'one sixty-fourth note' when you can say (pompously) 'hemidemisemiquaver'? grin

#1987892 - 11/17/12 04:52 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: Vas]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Well they're also used here in Australia. I grew up with them and don't find them a problem. I do have to stop and work out what a 64th note is when I read about it here on PW, however!

#1987925 - 11/17/12 06:51 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: BruceD]
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Originally Posted By: BruceD
Originally Posted By: tomasino

Tomasino

... and surely we don't want to forget :
- demisemiquaver (32nd note)
- hemidemisemiquaver (64th note) and
- semihemidemisemiquaver (128th note), a.k.a. quasihemidemisemiquaver!

Cheers!

And that explains why the Brits drive on the wrong side of the road.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#1987969 - 11/17/12 09:09 PM Re: Crotchet or not to Crotchet – What does it mean? [Re: Vas]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

We have one word in common, the longa. Long live the longa!

Music is my best friend.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
163 registered (88 Fingers Jeff, accordeur, 36251, 39 invisible), 1946 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156098 Topics
2292262 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wurlitzer electric piano sound
by 88 Fingers Jeff
07/23/14 01:24 PM
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
by Piano World
07/23/14 01:05 PM
Newbie Needs Help
by PianoJill
07/23/14 12:25 PM
fingering suggestions, please
by riley80
07/23/14 11:14 AM
Yamaha P105 for outdoors ???
by musicmad
07/23/14 11:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission