Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1987787 - 11/17/12 11:59 AM Which conservatory /university?
MiguelSousa Offline

Hello guys.

How are you?
I'm going to apply this year to some usa universities to take a master degree in piano performance. I did a lot of research and I talked with some teachers but I still have doubts about my choices.

I want to have the best of every aspect of music life. Good teacher, scholarships or working as a pianist accompanist, a lot of chances to perform and facilites to practice. These are the schools that I have in mind

University of Michigan
Illinois University
Boston Conservatory
NEC
Ñorthwestern University - bienen school of music
University of North Texas
Crane School of Music
Mannes
Mason Groos

I have been talking with some teachers of those schools. They say that I'm in a good level to applicate. But I really need your help.

Thanks

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1987792 - 11/17/12 12:07 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
MiguelSousa Offline

If you have another suggestion, please tell me smile

#1987799 - 11/17/12 12:20 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
DonaldLee Offline

I would say that you should add Peabody to your list. I want to go there for my masters and study with Leon Fleisher, granted he's still well by the time I would get there.

Also, another suggestion: It may sound far fetched, for my current university, James Madison University, might be another option. The piano faculty here are absolutely phenomenal and graduated from some of the best conservatories in the world, yet are still NICE, the are abundant accompanying opportunities, the facilites (the Forbes Center) are AMAZING, one of the best Theaters/Concert Halls/ Recital Halls in the country w/ 4 brand new model Ds to choose from for performances, amazing practice rooms (all new Steinways), and the graduate students all have assistantships where you pay no tuition, and receive a monthly stipend for rent and other expenses. Also, the after graduation job/further schooling placement rate is 95-100% every year.

Edited by DonaldLee (11/17/12 12:28 PM)
Edit Reason: Adding one more suggestion
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#1987800 - 11/17/12 12:27 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: MiguelSousa

Crane School of Music
Admittedly, my experience with the Crane School of Music was a long time ago, but if it hasn't changed, I'd avoid it for several reasons. I found the atmosphere among the students to be nasty, egotistical and lacking a healthy perspective on competition. I was not impressed with the teachers or their judgment. I was horribly under-qualified for the advanced theory class they insisted I belonged in even though I was completely lost. My frustration was met with a deaf ear. The atmosphere, attitudes and lack of support made me extremely unhappy. At that time, there were no private lessons, only master classes. When I sought guidance, I got no help whatsoever. I went to Crane with a passion for music and I felt they were killing that. I eventually had to drop out or lose my sanity. Finally, Potsdam is not a great place to spend any amount of extended time. It's in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing around for hundreds of miles. There is very little to do unless you are into drinking. The winters are just awful. 30 degrees F below zero is no big deal. Sometimes it's just too cold to snow. Spring, which starts in May, is a sea of mud.

Boy, it sure feels good to get that off my chest!

Deborah

#1987818 - 11/17/12 01:24 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Deborah, that is the case with many schools. You need to kind of make the experience for yourself, in other words, it's what you make of it. You will find competitive attitude everywhere in the music world. It's just how it is.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1987824 - 11/17/12 01:44 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
JessicaB Offline

I love the University of Illinois' School of Music when I went there. But that was a long time ago. The practice pianos were not great, but Krannert Center is world class (in a small community). The cost of living is very low. You will have performance opportunities and Chicago is only a couple of hours drive.

#1987826 - 11/17/12 01:50 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
'Lacking a healthy perspective on competition' and 'there was a competitive atmosphere' are two different criticisms.

#1987828 - 11/17/12 01:55 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: Pogorelich.]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
Deborah, that is the case with many schools. You need to kind of make the experience for yourself, in other words, it's what you make of it. You will find competitive attitude everywhere in the music world. It's just how it is.
I was, and still am, pretty sensitive and non-competitive but I think I might have survived Crane had I not been put into the wrong classes. I quite literally did not know how to tell you what key something was in. I had no idea what Roman numerals had to do with music. I was completely lost when it came to theory and just too far behind to be assigned to advanced theory. (There was a less advanced class available but they refused to move me.) They gave me no support and no solutions and just turned the whole experience into misery. Master classes were shark tanks. I'm just not cut out for that kind of atmosphere and I really admire your ability to thrive in it. You are extremely talented and you playing shows sensitivity so you must have a thick skin.

Deborah

#1987851 - 11/17/12 02:50 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

You should also look at UK ones as well. Probably less expensive than the states and still very good.
Example:
-GSMD
-RAM
-RCM
-RNCM

#1987859 - 11/17/12 03:15 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Deborah... that sounds awful about theory. When I did my pre-college training they did that to me too, but as soon as the teacher started putting all these roman numerals on the board I quickly switched. I wish they'd let you do the same. How did you manage??

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1987864 - 11/17/12 03:39 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mason Gross is a great school. I've know a few pianists (and other instrumentalists) who graduated from there and they all had good things to say. I've seen a lot of great performances there, too.

#1987869 - 11/17/12 03:55 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
fledgehog Offline

Loc: West Hartford, CT
I've loved my time at Hartt School of Music (Connecticut) so far. Being a part of the University of Hartford, administration can be frustrating, but the atmosphere of the conservatory itself is great. Teachers are all supportive, and students aren't unnecessarily competitive (I've never experienced any of the horror stories you hear about places like Julliard where students try to sabotage each others performances, etc). Not saying it's the best choice for everyone, but it's a fine school and worth researching. For whatever it's worth, I had a lot of the same schools that you do on my list when I was applying for college.

I noticed Crane on your list -- are you from New York? If the low costs and proximity of state schools are appealing to you, you might also want to check out SUNY Purchase.

#1987886 - 11/17/12 04:40 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: Pogorelich.]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
Deborah... that sounds awful about theory. When I did my pre-college training they did that to me too, but as soon as the teacher started putting all these roman numerals on the board I quickly switched. I wish they'd let you do the same. How did you manage??

I didn't. I lasted a few weeks, dropped all my music classes and changed my entire program to a liberal arts one. The regular college folks told me it would be hard to catch up on the lib. arts classes that late in the semester but I was determined, worked my rear off and did fine. I continued to use the practice rooms 3 hours a day and no one ever questioned my right to be there because of the level of music I was playing.

Deborah

#1988141 - 11/18/12 12:13 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
JessicaB Offline

I just looked at the faculty at Illinois and was happy to see Ian Hobson is still there. Everyone I know who worked with him loved the experience.

Have you looked to see where graduates of those particular institutions are performing/teaching? How well does that match your interests? You can tell a lot about the strengths of a particular program by what people do afterwards.

Have you talked or emailed any of the faculty? You might find that some are more interested in you than others. How about master classes with them? Are any of the faculty coming to your country to do master classes you might attend?

#1988421 - 11/19/12 08:18 AM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Deborah,

Tell us how you REALLY feel! grin

Oberlin seems to offer a lot (except for good weather). I'm becoming familiar with that program because youngest is interested (flute, not piano). I also know a piano student there. It seems to be a humane place where the faculty get to know the students well and they work with them individually and intensely. You also have the opportunity to study on the college side as well as in the Conservatory.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#1988459 - 11/19/12 09:51 AM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: Piano*Dad]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Deborah,

Tell us how you REALLY feel! grin
laugh Potsdam was awful but my audition for Fredonia was a disaster. The lone judge was drunk. The piano wheels weren't locked and all I had to sit on was a low, metal folding chair. I didn't get in.

Deborah

#1988463 - 11/19/12 09:55 AM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I did a post on this over at the Amazon Classical, etc. and a trusted poster said: A tyrranical teacher to age 5, then the Gnessin School, and then the Moscow Conservatory. Makes sense...if I had it to do all over again, I would probably take Curtis or the University of Vienna...but then, that's just me...

#1988647 - 11/19/12 06:44 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: gooddog]
newport Offline

Originally Posted By: gooddog
Potsdam ... Fredonia

I love Wikipedia (just made another contribution donation) and Google Earth smile!

Edited by newport (11/19/12 06:47 PM)

#1990921 - 11/26/12 03:11 AM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
MiguelSousa Offline

Thanks for your help

Between Northwestern Univ and Univ of Illinois, which one do you prefer?

Also, about Boston COnservatory, does anyone know anything about the school and the faculty?

#1991309 - 11/27/12 02:17 AM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
Northwestern.

#1991451 - 11/27/12 11:41 AM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
Peter K. Mose Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Miguel, you shouldn't base your future on our limited knowledge and biases.I believe you would grow and have a great time at any one of these schools. Each has some wonderful teachers and some duds. Some great fellow keyboard students and some annoying ones.

The best solution would be to go visit these schools. Otherwise, don't fret this decision. A big part of these years will simply be living in a new country for you, the famous US of A.

#1991488 - 11/27/12 01:00 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: Peter K. Mose]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
Miguel, you shouldn't base your future on our limited knowledge and biases.I believe you would grow and have a great time at any one of these schools. Each has some wonderful teachers and some duds. Some great fellow keyboard students and some annoying ones.

The best solution would be to go visit these schools. Otherwise, don't fret this decision. A big part of these years will simply be living in a new country for you, the famous US of A.

Excellent advice !!!!!! thumb

Miquel - I don't know what part of the world you currently live in, but if you aren't used to dealing with extremely COLD weather on a day to day basis the locations of some of the schools you are considering might be challenging. grin

I'm going to put in a plug for my alma mater (MM '73) the University of North Texas. Yesterday, I received their annual magazine highlighting the recent accomplishments of selected faculty and alumni from the School of Music. Very impressive !!!! The piano faculty has always been strong there. When I attended, it was fairly easy to get a graduate teaching assistantship (I taught private and class piano), scholarships, etc. (however, I don't know how easy it is now) and opportunities to play chamber music, accompany instrumental recitals, etc. were plentiful. There's lots of of musical activity in Dallas (half hour's drive) - The Dallas Symphony, Dallas Opera, Meyerson Sympnony Center, etc. and Fort Worth (40 minutes drive) - Cliburn Competition, Fort Worth Symphony, Bass Concert Hall. The music school facilities are excellent. Granted, the weather gets hot and humid in the summer - and sometimes you get a dusting of snow and ice in the winter - but otherwise it is fairly mild - and the cost of living in Denton is quite reasonable. Back in the day, I was accepted for grad studies at both Northwestern and North Texas. In retrospect, I'm grateful that I chose North Texas.

#1992085 - 11/28/12 06:18 PM Re: Which conservatory /university? [Re: MiguelSousa]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
+1 North Texas. No matter where you go don't say 'applicate' to anybody - it's ok here.

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (ajames, accordeur, 49 invisible), 1529 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157235 Topics
2309380 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie - Equipment Help
by CuddlyDuddly
31 minutes 10 seconds ago
Player Piano Bellows Question
by UnrightTooner
Today at 09:40 AM
do you memorize a piece when you learn to play it?
by Peter071
Today at 06:13 AM
Which classical (piano) music may I like?
by Stefo
Today at 05:50 AM
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
Today at 04:16 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission