2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
OP Offline
S
New member second post.
Just looking for opinions on what makes a player a musician.
Does it occur the first time you play a song?
The first time you read music and play a song without a mistake for the first time?

Or do you need to be a paid performer to be classed as a musician.

Last edited by Schroeder II; 11/17/12 03:08 PM.
T
T
Interestng question and one that i've also wondered myself. I feel as though it comes with competence. I have been learning for a couple of months, but I definitely don't feel like a musician yet even though piano occupies most of my waking thoughts. I can't yet make any music that I would share as something that others would enjoy listening to. I ask my teacher every week how long before it sounds like music - even when I get it all right it still sounds amateurish and clumsy - hence not yet feeling I am making music.

It doesn't actually matter that much though as long as you enjoy it.

Last edited by Toastie; 11/17/12 03:16 PM.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
When playing become a major part of your life regardless of skill level...

T
T
Originally Posted by Mark...
When playing become a major part of your life regardless of skill level...

That would make me one, but I think you have to feel you are one too and I don't yet.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
I've played a very long time, but I still don't feel like a musician. A music-MAKER, yes, but not a musician.

My partner is a director and he was giving a seminar to a bunch of local actors. He asked them not about what makes a musician but about what makes an artist. His definition resonates with me.

He says you become an artist when you get the letter.

What letter?

The letter out of nowhere. The private letter that says, "You don't know me but I listened to or watched X, and it really affected me. I play it over and over."

In this day of YouTube, it should be much easier for every one of us to become musicians now. It just takes the persistent application of elbow grease and a little bravery.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
At the end of his life, Pavarotti said he was a student. So my aspiration is to be a perpetual student a la Pavarotti.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
When you tell your audience "I take requests" and someone shouts out the request, you don't say..next! smile

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
One time a caller for a dance phoned another caller about working with the musicians. The first caller asked if the 2nd caller thought it would be alright to call me at that time, 10 PM - would I still be up?

The 2nd caller said, "She's a musician, of course she's still up."

Guess that did it for me smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
S
S
When you buy a hat.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I think it occurs the first time you fail to get paid for a gig.. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
S
OP Offline
S
I love the responses so far.
Here's the reason I asked.
I can cook fairly well, but I'm not a "chef".
I built and wired my own home theatre but I'm neither a "carpenter" or an "electrician".

Why? Because when someone asks me what I do for a living, it is definitely not chef, carpenter or electrician.

So for most professions I would have hard time classifying anyone as .....x..... unless they did .......x....... for a living.
High school bands don't get paid, but they're musicians, right?
My teacher can play anything, but has never had a paying gig
Think she'd be offended if someone told her she wasn't a musician?

It's a blurry area and precisely why I asked for other opinions.

Last edited by Schroeder II; 11/17/12 07:38 PM.
J
J
I think you become a musician the first time and every time you make music and derive joy from it.I don't think it has to be any more complicated than that.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Every one that picks up an instrument is a musician. The skill level varies. The term professional musician is easier, one that earns a living from playing music (teaching would be separate).

The term real musician can be controversial. Playing with other musicians, reading sheets, improvising, playing by ear, performing live in a group or solo, accompanying singers are all things that musicians do. Someone that can do all that I would consider an accomplished musician. A person that can do one or more, is on the path and can call themselves a musician, though some may not always agree.

Most would not find fault with the term amateur musician, though again, there will be a wide range of skill levels. I like that term, and also use the term amateur songwriter.

The word musician is like the word beginner. Most outside casual observers probably wouldn't call the majority of the ABF recital participants, beginners, even though many are still self identifying themselves with the tag.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
They say that you don't ever want to be the boss.

You always want to be second in command because

they always call the boss, manager, "first in

command" out first when something goes wrong.

I said to a friend of mine, well, I am not an

academic. He was a teacher and he said, "if you

think you are an academic, you are an academic."

When people ask me who I am I often say, "I am

just a little guy trying to get by in life."

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
The word musician is like the word beginner. Most outside casual observers probably wouldn't call the majority of the ABF recital participants, beginners, even though many are still self identifying themselves with the tag.

The term Adult Beginner suggest that the participants are Adults and Beginners but it also suggests those that began in adult life even though they no longer are adults beginners.

I didn't take lessons until I was an adult and I also returned after many years (still as an adult) and this forum has been the source of faster progress (and continuing progress) than any lessons I took earlier in life. It is in this capacity that I feel I am a member of this community. I am trying to give as much back as I have received.

And what are the alternatives? I'll take the Adult Beginners over the Beginner Adults.

Richard
D
D
If you can substantially entertain an audience or can accompany other musicians, then I think that makes you a musician.

I don't think you have to be a master of your insrument to "be a musican," but I think "musicians" have a sense of musicality that enables them to produce music.

So if you just learn to play chords on the piano and how to phrase them to sound well with other musicians, then even though you might not be able to play advanced piano pieces, you'd be a musician.

If you can sight read simple music pieces and do so for your own pleasure or for the listening pleasure of others, than you are a musician. If the pieces are simple, but you're playing the correct dynamics and with emotion, then I'd consider you a musician.

Last edited by Devrie; 11/17/12 09:43 PM.
S
S
You can play on you own for years and years, but no musician till you bring pleasure to someone else's ears.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Schroeder II
New member second post.
Just looking for opinions on what makes a player a musician.
Does it occur the first time you play a song?
The first time you read music and play a song without a mistake for the first time?

Or do you need to be a paid performer to be classed as a musician.

Yes, any and all of the above - but, also you have to join the union...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
There's two ends of this spectrum: The soft fuzzy end. From the very first time you draw a bow or pluck a string, you are a musician. You may not be very good, but a musician, all the same.
The other end is the cold hard end of the spectrum. Indeed the card carrying, site reading, all theory knowing, expert, professional. A player's player.
I personally tend to error on the side of caution and humility. Ima fiddle player. Unless, it gets me through the buffett line quicker or, gets me a good parking spot, or in through the backstage door, i don't generally go by the title musician.

nada
M
M
Originally Posted by Juliewharton
I think you become a musician the first time and every time you make music and derive joy from it.I don't think it has to be any more complicated than that.

Agreed. In fact, I don't think you even have to play an instrument. Many people are musicians with their voices. smile

Everyone is capable of being expressive through music, but I think the term "musician" has many different levels of musical ability attached to it depending on the person using the term.

Strangely enough, I know many adult students who would not call themselves musicians even though they clearly are, and I think that is a shame.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission