Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1987923 - 11/17/12 06:48 PM How many keys do you use on your piano?
Schroeder II Offline

I just got on this board today so I'm like a kid with a new toy!

Please indulge 1 more possibly dumb question:

I have an 88 key Yamaha digital piano. I upgraded from a 61 key, so I would be more at home on my teacher's instrument during lessons.

That being said, all our music has fallen between the 2 octaves below middle C and the two octaves above. How much music is written for the extreme ends of the keyboard?

I read recently that there are pianos with more than 88 keys. Being as they would be quite rare, how much music is out there that would require such an exotic keyboard arrangement?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1987934 - 11/17/12 07:15 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I'm learning classical music, and even at my level, I get to use the entire piano, all 7 octaves. You are right though that the 4 octaves in the middle get used a lot more in the beginning.

#1987938 - 11/17/12 07:25 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
Looking at the 100 year old Bechstien I sometimes use (its not mine) the middle three octaves the ivory is so worn you can see the wood nearly under them.

My own CDP the middle octaves around middle C get used A LOT. Although it is not that old the outer octaves have considerably more dust on them.

However since expanding my repetoir which includes a lot of the end octaves its about even.

I also tend to play scales from one end to the other so the end octaves get some use.

I also wonder what pieces sometimes sound in a higher or lower octave as well and have a go like that. Sometimes it works really well, sometimes it sounds horrible.

#1987949 - 11/17/12 08:00 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
The music before Beethoven was from F to F, the compass of those instruments. Beethoven's later works made use of Broadwood's six octave pianos and in the 1820's (in time for Chopin and Liszt) Broadwood pushed on to the full seven and a half octaves.

Bösendorfer include a few extras in the bass that can be covered by a wooden flap to avoid regular uses from becoming confused by the new keyboard geography.

#1987955 - 11/17/12 08:22 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
Whizbang Offline
500 Post Club Member

All the wrong ones.

At least it feels that way sometimes.

Seriously, I'll use pretty much the entire range with the music I play, and I couldn't play much of my music with just 61 keys.

My understanding is that the pianos with more than 88 keys don't usually directly use the keys directly, but use the additional strings for sympathetic harmonics when the pedal is down.

#1987957 - 11/17/12 08:28 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
about 80 of them

#1988020 - 11/18/12 02:01 AM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: -Frycek]
slpianoproject Offline

Loc: Qc, Canada
With the pieces i play i end up using the bottom end alot more than the top end. So lets say 66 keys!

#1988045 - 11/18/12 07:17 AM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
The lowest and highest I've used with the Alfred's method books so far are G1 and D7, respectively, so that makes 74 keys smile

#1988161 - 11/18/12 01:04 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
I have used all 88. If you play a solo arrangement of the Grieg Am concerto, the very first note in the introduction gets down to the bottom A. If you play the recapitulation of the main theme at the end of Rachmaninoff's 3rd piano concerto, you'll get up to the top C. Those are the two that I can think of off the top of my head that did it for me.

However, I know there are many others.. I remember discussing the top end of the keyboard in another thread, and quite a few pieces were mentioned.

#1988197 - 11/18/12 03:12 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Derulux]
outo Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
As far as I can remember I have used 68 keys in the pieces I have played, from G to D. But I do scales all the way, so the rest are not completely neglected. I don't want them to get stuck smile

#1988207 - 11/18/12 03:47 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I use all 88 of them, just not in one piece usually.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1988376 - 11/19/12 03:57 AM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Schroeder II
I read recently that there are pianos with more than 88 keys. Being as they would be quite rare, how much music is out there that would require such an exotic keyboard arrangement?

At the dealer that I got my Yamaha, they have a piano with 92 keys, and it's a beautiful piano, and I've gone back several times to play that $129,000 work of art. I am not sure those 3 extra keys in the bass is the reason why the piano sound so great. I'm pretty sure the piano would have been great even without them. I think perhaps it's more a bragging rights kind of thing than anything else, and by the way, when I played those notes, they sound kind of like a dull thud, totally not like you're hearing clear fundamentals. The piano, even at over 7-foot long, just isn't long enough for those bass notes.

I read a few composers including Debussy wrote some music for these pianos, but I think the most practical purpose of having extra notes is to create a richer resonance with the sustain pedal.

#1988484 - 11/19/12 10:42 AM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia
Prokofiev - Toccata op.2 uses the bottom key on the piano if my memory serves me right?

and then there is Gyorgy Ligeti's "The Devil's Staircase" .... if my memory serves me really right, im sure it uses every key in that one piece

Edited by ju5t1n-h (11/19/12 10:53 AM)

#1988527 - 11/19/12 12:38 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: 4evrBeginR]
Schroeder II Offline

I think at my level of play I would be absolutely terrified to play a $192,000 piano!
Be great story though.

#1988611 - 11/19/12 04:47 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
See this post:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1980886/Piano%20curse?.html#Post1980886

I have no idea what the value of this Bechstein happens to be, but its a double edge sword.......

#1988976 - 11/20/12 02:11 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
G Major mostly. g minor, Eb Major and c minor get played a lot also. Not sure why these three keys are so popular, but that's the way it is.

#1988984 - 11/20/12 03:01 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: Schroeder II]
contrapiano Offline

I never play the top octave or bottom half octave.

#1989020 - 11/20/12 04:59 PM Re: How many keys do you use on your piano? [Re: contrapiano]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
The bottom oct gets a bit muddy, but i can see how on an accoustic piano, the more strings, lends itself to more sympathetic overtones. Definately glad to have all 88.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
78 registered (bgiles, bennevis, barbaram, Ben_NZ, 21 invisible), 953 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157135 Topics
2307724 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
? 4 CA95/CS10 owners - soundboard vs external speakers
by markmarz
08/29/14 05:55 AM
Might play in hotel lounges/bars!!
by Pover
08/29/14 04:18 AM
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission