Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1987802 - 11/17/12 12:31 PM Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music?
Tides Offline

Do you all ever do this? kind of pretend like you are playing but not really following along.

I was sitting in my school's computer lab listening to a Tchaikovsky concerto and realized I was moving my hand along. I though this must look so obnoxious to those around me. what do you guys think?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1987805 - 11/17/12 12:34 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
All the time.

#1987825 - 11/17/12 01:48 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

When listening, my fingers twitch involuntarily, silently playing along, but not noticeably to any onlookers (unless they're looking where they really shouldn't be looking.... grin). However, when I'm actually playing, I do find myself conducting my playing hand with my free hand (if I have a free hand) at the end of phrases, just to make sure I let go at the right moment.

And no, it's not because I've been copying one or two well-known pianists' mannerisms...... cool

#1987870 - 11/17/12 03:57 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
fledgehog Offline

Loc: West Hartford, CT
yep. I've also been known to conduct involuntarily, even when listening to music that doesn't require conducting. When it's a piece I know or I'm working on, I will usually actually be playing along as well.

Edited by fledgehog (11/17/12 03:58 PM)

#1987876 - 11/17/12 04:10 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music

Music is my best friend.

#1987882 - 11/17/12 04:25 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've seen people move their jaw subconsciously to music. Now that was strange.

#1987911 - 11/17/12 06:09 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Yep. I do that. Also, when listening to full orchestral music, I typically am picturing in my head a full piano and picturing the various sounds as if they were being played from a piano.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#1987912 - 11/17/12 06:17 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
tomasino Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
I remember pretending I was playing piano on my school desk when I was in about in the third grade, and we were listening to music in preparation for a young people's concert.

I also move my jaw while playing rapidly ascending or descending octaves, and so does Andre Watts.

There may be others.

Tomasino
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#1987924 - 11/17/12 06:50 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
Ian_G Offline

Loc: Germany
Brendel's jaw stops just short of a jig.

I'm an inveterate sing-along-er.

#1987935 - 11/17/12 07:18 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: GeorgeB]
fledgehog Offline

Originally Posted By: GeorgeB
I've seen people move their jaw subconsciously to music. Now that was strange.

Like Andre Watts?

#1987954 - 11/17/12 08:11 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: fledgehog]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: fledgehog
yep. I've also been known to conduct involuntarily, even when listening to music that doesn't require conducting. When it's a piece I know or I'm working on, I will usually actually be playing along as well.

Do you really conduct or do you just move your arms around? smile

#1987966 - 11/17/12 08:59 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Other people do it too. I noticed somebody at the bus stop today.

Music is my best friend.

#1988034 - 11/18/12 04:54 AM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Is this somehow related to air guitar?

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1988279 - 11/18/12 07:52 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: JoelW]
fledgehog Offline

Originally Posted By: Joel_W

I know my beat patterns and cues thanks to the intro to conducting course I took last fall wink

That being said, a real ensemble would probably have a heck of a time trying to follow my air conducting!

#1988285 - 11/18/12 08:14 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: fledgehog]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Joel_W

I know my beat patterns and cues thanks to the intro to conducting course I took last fall wink

That being said, a real ensemble would probably have a heck of a time trying to follow my air conducting!

Speaking of conducting.. am I the only one who can't stop watching the conductor during concerts? I find it intriguing for some reason.

#1990332 - 11/24/12 01:36 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
I know this will be an unpopular response, but it has always annoyed me when I have seen people do those kinds of things. I guess though at the end of the day, a lot of people I have seen do those kind of gestures are dis genuine in them, and are more about "look at me, I am the genius musician" I even have a friend who feels the need to conduct during movies when the beat gets pumping. Sadly this is out of a need for him to feel like he has musical talent, which he does not, I don't even have the heart to tell him that he is not even with the beat.

#1990354 - 11/24/12 02:42 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

The older I get, the more tolerant I am of other people's foibles and mannerisms. That's because I've reached the stage where I'm totally secure in myself mentally (and even physically grin) that I don't give a toss what others think of me and my playing, and I realized that I've developed mannerisms of my own while playing (conducting myself with my free hand is only one of them), most of which were carefully suppressed when I was younger because I was very self-conscious and didn't want anyone to think that I was 'affected' when playing. So, it's only fair that if others had to put up with my mannerisms (assuming that they cared to listen to me playing), I should put up with theirs. But there are limits: Brendel's grimacing and cud-chewing still puts me off my dinner, however grin, so I never went to any of his concerts, or bought any of his DVDs.......

It's only on CD where sharp intakes of breath and grunting (many pianists), off-key singing (Gould) and moaning (Brendel again) can be disturbing if the balance engineer doesn't get the mike placement right.

#1990370 - 11/24/12 03:29 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: Tides]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
All the time, lol.

#1990387 - 11/24/12 04:08 PM Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? [Re: jdhampton924]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: jdhampton924
I know this will be an unpopular response, but it has always annoyed me when I have seen people do those kinds of things. I guess though at the end of the day, a lot of people I have seen do those kind of gestures are dis genuine in them, and are more about "look at me, I am the genius musician" I even have a friend who feels the need to conduct during movies when the beat gets pumping. Sadly this is out of a need for him to feel like he has musical talent, which he does not, I don't even have the heart to tell him that he is not even with the beat.

Sitting next to someone doing this at a concert or recital is very annoying, so you are not alone!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10 minutes 9 seconds ago
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
45 minutes 56 seconds ago
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Today at 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
Today at 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
Today at 06:56 PM
Who's Online
125 registered (angga888, ando, anamnesis, accordeur, anotherscott, 36251, 36 invisible), 1426 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325886 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission