2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tides Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Do you all ever do this? kind of pretend like you are playing but not really following along.

I was sitting in my school's computer lab listening to a Tchaikovsky concerto and realized I was moving my hand along. I though this must look so obnoxious to those around me. what do you guys think?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
All the time.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
When listening, my fingers twitch involuntarily, silently playing along, but not noticeably to any onlookers (unless they're looking where they really shouldn't be looking.... grin). However, when I'm actually playing, I do find myself conducting my playing hand with my free hand (if I have a free hand) at the end of phrases, just to make sure I let go at the right moment.

And no, it's not because I've been copying one or two well-known pianists' mannerisms...... cool

If music be the food of love, play on!
yep. I've also been known to conduct involuntarily, even when listening to music that doesn't require conducting. When it's a piece I know or I'm working on, I will usually actually be playing along as well.

Last edited by fledgehog; 11/17/12 04:58 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've seen people move their jaw subconsciously to music. Now that was strange.

T
T
Yep. I do that. Also, when listening to full orchestral music, I typically am picturing in my head a full piano and picturing the various sounds as if they were being played from a piano.

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I remember pretending I was playing piano on my school desk when I was in about in the third grade, and we were listening to music in preparation for a young people's concert.

I also move my jaw while playing rapidly ascending or descending octaves, and so does Andre Watts.

There may be others.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

I
I
Brendel's jaw stops just short of a jig.

I'm an inveterate sing-along-er.

Originally Posted by GeorgeB
I've seen people move their jaw subconsciously to music. Now that was strange.

Like Andre Watts?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fledgehog
yep. I've also been known to conduct involuntarily, even when listening to music that doesn't require conducting. When it's a piece I know or I'm working on, I will usually actually be playing along as well.

Do you really conduct or do you just move your arms around? smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Other people do it too. I noticed somebody at the bus stop today.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Is this somehow related to air guitar?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Originally Posted by Joel_W

I know my beat patterns and cues thanks to the intro to conducting course I took last fall wink

That being said, a real ensemble would probably have a heck of a time trying to follow my air conducting!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joel_W

I know my beat patterns and cues thanks to the intro to conducting course I took last fall wink

That being said, a real ensemble would probably have a heck of a time trying to follow my air conducting!

Speaking of conducting.. am I the only one who can't stop watching the conductor during concerts? I find it intriguing for some reason.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I know this will be an unpopular response, but it has always annoyed me when I have seen people do those kinds of things. I guess though at the end of the day, a lot of people I have seen do those kind of gestures are dis genuine in them, and are more about "look at me, I am the genius musician" I even have a friend who feels the need to conduct during movies when the beat gets pumping. Sadly this is out of a need for him to feel like he has musical talent, which he does not, I don't even have the heart to tell him that he is not even with the beat.

B
B
The older I get, the more tolerant I am of other people's foibles and mannerisms. That's because I've reached the stage where I'm totally secure in myself mentally (and even physically grin) that I don't give a toss what others think of me and my playing, and I realized that I've developed mannerisms of my own while playing (conducting myself with my free hand is only one of them), most of which were carefully suppressed when I was younger because I was very self-conscious and didn't want anyone to think that I was 'affected' when playing. So, it's only fair that if others had to put up with my mannerisms (assuming that they cared to listen to me playing), I should put up with theirs. But there are limits: Brendel's grimacing and cud-chewing still puts me off my dinner, however grin, so I never went to any of his concerts, or bought any of his DVDs.......

It's only on CD where sharp intakes of breath and grunting (many pianists), off-key singing (Gould) and moaning (Brendel again) can be disturbing if the balance engineer doesn't get the mike placement right.

If music be the food of love, play on!
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
All the time, lol.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jdhampton924
I know this will be an unpopular response, but it has always annoyed me when I have seen people do those kinds of things. I guess though at the end of the day, a lot of people I have seen do those kind of gestures are dis genuine in them, and are more about "look at me, I am the genius musician" I even have a friend who feels the need to conduct during movies when the beat gets pumping. Sadly this is out of a need for him to feel like he has musical talent, which he does not, I don't even have the heart to tell him that he is not even with the beat.

Sitting next to someone doing this at a concert or recital is very annoying, so you are not alone!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission