2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1987992 11/18/12 12:18 AM
Z
zessin Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I'm looking for an instrument solely for practicing piano. I have read on the forum that the most important thing is touch, so I would like some advice on which instrument would have a better action for practicing the piano, Yamaha P105 or Roland A-88?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
The Roland A-88 is a MIDI controller and therefore does not feature an internal tone generator (i.e. it does not produce any sound). In order to use it as a practise piano, you will either need to connect the board to a computer or MIDI sound module, or possess a very good imagination.

The Casio PX-150 would be a closer comparison with the Yamaha P105. I've yet to play either, however there are a number of threads discussing these entry-level board throughout the forum.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Z
zessin Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I am aware that the roland does not produce sound by itself and I have read some of the other reviews on the yamaha, but none that compare the two keyboards.

I guess I am wondering personally if they had the exact same features which would be a better purchase.

Given that a majority opinion on this forum is that vst samples sound better than the inbuilt ones and the most important thing is touch.

If both models were connected to a computer as a practice piano, which would be better?

Online Content
zessin, so you're essentially asking which board has the more realistic keyboard action?

That's a tricky one, really a lot depends on personal preference - why not try playing the two boards for comparison (turn the Yamaha off) then deciding for yourself?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Z
zessin Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Sure, I am just a bit isolated here so probably won't get an opportunity to try out keyboards.

I understand that it may be subjective, but I thought that maybe there was an obvious answer if the yamaha is entry level and the roland is similar price but with less features then perhaps, it is because the keyboard action is superior.

I was hoping someone on the forum would have played both and if there is a big difference that would help me make a choice.

J
J
I've tried the P105 and the Roland F-120 which has the same keybed as the A-88
The difference is subtle
I like a lot the F-120 keybed but the P105 is not bad at all
As usual the Yamaha is slightly firmer

A very important point is that the A-88 has no sound, so if you're not familiar with computer it will be complicated

Cheers

Piano : Seiler 116 Accent
Kawaï MP 11 SE + VSL Concert D-274 + Garritan CFX + Pianoteq + other VSTs
Originally Posted by Kawai James
...or possess a very good imagination...

James, you have made me laugh! I was reminded of the (for me at least) great movie "The Competition" with Richard Dreyfuss and Amy Irving when she can't stop playing and 'rehearses' on the folding table of the plane seat smile . Never found it on DVD, but remember it from my childhood with great fondness.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Roland FP-7F
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by RafaPolit
Originally Posted by Kawai James
...or possess a very good imagination...

James, you have made me laugh! I was reminded of the (for me at least) great movie "The Competition" with Richard Dreyfuss and Amy Irving when she can't stop playing and 'rehearses' on the folding table of the plane seat smile . Never found it on DVD, but remember it from my childhood with great fondness.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Sorry, I can't help with your original post, but I did see this, I had never heard of it but it looks, and from what you say, sounds good....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0088XQC4O/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by zessin
I'm looking for an instrument solely for practicing piano. I have read on the forum that the most important thing is touch, so I would like some advice on which instrument would have a better action for practicing the piano, Yamaha P105 or Roland A-88?

I haven't played those, but I have played models with what I understand to be similar actions (Yamaha p95, Roland FP-4F)... Neither is a great action, but I'd choose the Yamaha. I'd also look at the Casio PX-150, and if you prefer a heavier action, the Yamaha CP33/P155, or if portability isn't an issue, the Korg SP250.

If you're not interested in the internal tone generation, then you may as well go with the Yamaha P-35 rather than P-105.

Z
zessin Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I was starting to think if there is only subtle difference between actions then the cheapest unit is probably best for my situation.

With the p-35 does the 32 polyphony limit apply just to the sound generator or to the midi out as well?

I'd be pretty confident that the polyphony limit is just the sound generator, and not the MIDI, as MIDI is only sending messages like note on and note off. Even if it couldn't handle more than 32 keys down at once, most people would be running out of fingers first. All of layering of sustained sounds are dealt with by the sound generator.

Z
zessin Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by 1John
If you're not interested in the internal tone generation, then you may as well go with the Yamaha P-35 rather than P-105.

Are you happy with the p-35? Do you know of any online retailers where I could get one?

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by zessin
Sure, I am just a bit isolated here so probably won't get an opportunity to try out keyboards.

I understand that it may be subjective, but I thought that maybe there was an obvious answer if the yamaha is entry level and the roland is similar price but with less features then perhaps, it is because the keyboard action is superior.

I was hoping someone on the forum would have played both and if there is a big difference that would help me make a choice.

just remember what you gain in action with the roland (and i've never played it so i wouldn't know) you might ultimately give up with the inherent latency of running a VST on a computer. I like VST's for their more authentic sound, but i think an organic onboard sample will usually play better. So part of your decision will be based on the computer you will use to run the VST. you will need something with some decent RAM and its advisable to get a 2d HDD for the sample library.

The P105 action is very light and fast. I like it a lot and am very interested in getting one as a portable board to tote around.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
I've been happy with the P-35, as it does what I want. The biggest limitation is the onboard speakers, which is where the P-105 has the advantage. I had in mind using VST for sound generation when I bought it, but find in practice that I often just use the onboard sound for convenience. Just being able to press a button and be ready to go straight away is much less a barrier than having to start up or set up things on the computer. Sometimes I use the computer, but the onboard sound through the headphones is good enough for short practice sessions, so I'm glad to have it there as an option.

D
D7K Offline
D
Probably the biggest difference for me over the PX-150 (for units that contain sound generators) was that the P105 uses the Pure CF Sound Engine. I listened to both and for the piano sound the CF Piano sound on P1 for the Yamaha sounded better. But I know very little:)

Last edited by D7K; 12/05/12 06:25 PM.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission