Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
122 registered (ajames, 36251, Almaviva, ando, accordeur, 30 invisible), 1486 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 108 of 249 < 1 2 ... 106 107 108 109 110 ... 248 249 >
Topic Options
#1985897 - 11/12/12 09:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I finally have an accomplishment to share here!

I got a keyboard to use at work (the parent organization bought it for me!) and I've been singing a little bit with the kids at school. (I am the speech-language pathologist at a school for kids with autism).

Song for November:
Gray squirrel, Gray squirrel, swish your bushy tail!
Wrinkle up your little nose/Pick a nut up with your toes!
Gray squirrel, Gray squirrel, swish your bushy tail.

Today, one kid who normally doesn't even talk sang along with me!

Full disclosure: I only play C major chord as the accompaniment, so there is room for improvement.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1985899 - 11/12/12 09:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
AtallGuyNH and MaryBee, I think I need to buy a CD for Brahms's recorfing. It's hard to find recording in my iPhone.

Well, so you can hear on your iPhone, links to my favorite versions:
#4 Kissin (jump to 2:01): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y3MypevjcA
#3 Cory Hall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=985bRbxl1SM
#2 Guevara: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQPwiR4PKfs
#1 kamibambiraptor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L7PHV8MdUQ

Part of the appeal of the last one is definitely the tonal intimacy of the recording and the piano itself. It feels and sounds like I'm sitting right next to him in a wicker chair in a small and somewhat rumpled living room, so unlike a concert performance in a grand hall. It suits the piece so nicely.

It's a shame he only has 700+ views on this, but he has over 6 million views overall for his work, which is incredibly impressive.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1986147 - 11/13/12 12:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
aTallGuyNH,
Thank you for all the link above. I listened to them after I listened to professional recording for Murray Prahia et al via Spotify. Although I love Murray's best I appreciated different interpretation and sounds. For example I agree with overall shaping in Kissin. I wish i could hear it in a better recording I still like Gould's sparkling sounds but I did not like his interpretation of rhythm. But I liked his very clean execution of 32nd notes followed by a dotted 16th which are sprinkled throughout the piece. Many emphasized left hand part second time in the famous repeat to a different degree. It was also very good to hear that the part comes before the repeat, where the melody line comes on my 4th and 5th fingers in my left hand, many connected it to the recurring theme very well. It made sense to me. I grinned thinking about my own poor playing there. I really did not understand why i had to emphasize those notes there. Murray did it incredibly well and moved me. His playing so sensitive, clean and yet emotional. Even the top note of the chord ABF#B in the last page was effective.

IMHO I did not think so much of the last recording. Maybe because the recording equipment, the recording did not sound clear. I also don't think this take is his final one. If I may dare say (ignoring how bad I am), I'm afraid if some of the chords might not have been played together, timining could have been a bit off and he seems to hit a couple of wrong notes. However, having said that, he definitely plays much better than me. In fact everyone on Yutube does. So it doesn't really matter what I say:). I appreciate you getting the video. It was very educational.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#1986281 - 11/13/12 05:53 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Originally Posted By: malkin

I got a keyboard to use at work (the parent organization bought it for me!) and I've been singing a little bit with the kids at school. (I am the speech-language pathologist at a school for kids with autism).

Song for November:

Full disclosure: I only play C major chord as the accompaniment, so there is room for improvement.

Aww that's cute re the child malkin- well done! I like grey squirrels as well- they are funny. I used to have one I called Nutkin climb up to my window in a place I used to live and I would give him peanuts. I'll always miss him.

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1986283 - 11/13/12 05:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Originally Posted By: malkin

Song for November:

smile

#1986797 - 11/14/12 09:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

AOTD... played reeeeeaaaaally slowly, to the point where my daughter started doing super slow motion ballet moves to go along with Clair de Lune (which for the record I have absolutely no business playing, but I love it, so I'm trying). She was being silly and I think making fun of me a bit too. She was very cute though and I was glad that my practice really was as dramatically slower as I thought it was!

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1987426 - 11/16/12 11:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Hi,

My AOTW is being able to play very slow and musical. Not yet good, but there's a start. It's so difficult. I hear my teacher doing it, so I know it's possible.

My teacher lets me play pieces that are too difficult, because I like it. She did the same when she was a kid. She says I will learn from it anyways.

To learn such a piece needs a different approach. And my teacher guides me. Not to stress when something is impossible to do it right. Playing the piece very slow and musical, because there is no way I will play it faster. ha Being happy with the result, although it doesn't sound as it should. It's so much fun to do.

I play Chopin op 10 no 12 half way and just starting with Bach's BWV 847 wtc 1, prelude 2. Those pieces will last forever, so I can go back anytime in the future and practise again. My confidence is bigger now to tackle any piece with the right attitude. Next will be Chopin balade no 1.

As if my Christmas wishlist comes true. 3hearts

Playing since May 02 2009

#1987651 - 11/16/12 11:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Great Chris! Chopin ballade next- thumb

I had my piano lesson and my teacher said my sight reading has really improved and my timing- said whatever I have been doing is working and to keep at it! Part of it is down to his teaching methods and part of it the help I have got on this brilliant forum.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/16/12 11:16 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1988071 - 11/18/12 08:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Week 36: I performed at my local Songmakers hoot. I did two tunes, Shimmer, which I did for the recital, and December Rain. Both are on my blog:
http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/
(same as the piano_uploads signature link).

December Rain is under Five Easy Pieces and one of my early compositions. I received several compliments, especially for Shimmer, which to me feels like my best compositional work to date.

I kept a decent practice schedule of about 20 minutes a day. I made some progress on God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman and Silent Night. I can play them slow, like 1/3 regular tempo.

The big news on ABF is the release of the recital. I again remind folks that the recital participants are a self-selective group. Perhaps only 1% of those that regularly read the forum uploaded a contribution. On most Internet forums there are ten readers for every person that posts, and of those that post, not everyone uploaded. So if a person is comparing, they are likely comparing to the above average group. Those less sure of themselves tend not to share their music.

Thanks for all the reports. Keep at it. Small progress is progress. Rarely are there huge leaps for any of us.

#1988084 - 11/18/12 09:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sand Tiger]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
My teacher insisted that I take a sticker for "Jelly Bean Rag!"

#1988098 - 11/18/12 10:16 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

How lovely to play your own composition and get compliments on it Sand Tiger! Malkin - stickers Yay! yippie

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1988112 - 11/18/12 10:56 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Sorry have been busy this week and not been around much, so lots to catch up on. My achievement isn't really an achievement it's more of an event... The piano is being delivered tomorrow after work. It's only 4pm, but I'm tempted to go to bed now, so the time will pass faster. At half past four tomorrow (24 and a half hours) the piano will be in my house.

Had one of those lessons that happens occasionally where you just talk and it's actually more beneficial than trying to play at that particular time.
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#1988144 - 11/18/12 12:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

OOOOOOH Piano is arriving!!! I'm excited for you Toastie!!!!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1988182 - 11/18/12 02:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Toastie]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Toastie
Had one of those lessons that happens occasionally where you just talk and it's actually more beneficial than trying to play at that particular time.

I love those lessons!

#1988214 - 11/18/12 04:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
The Slurs piece p23 and The Old Mill Wheel p25 of Aaron book 1 -are small pieces, kept me on my toes, but made for good music for the ears.

#1988265 - 11/18/12 06:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: EdwardianPiano]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
I had my piano lesson and my teacher said my sight reading has really improved and my timing- said whatever I have been doing is working and to keep at it! Part of it is down to his teaching methods and part of it the help I have got on this brilliant forum.
You forgot to mention all your hard work!

#1988271 - 11/18/12 06:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you Mary Bee but I don't know if it was that- certainly I practise, but not always every day and it is about 30- 40 mins a day. I should do more really. I know I could do loads more.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1988358 - 11/19/12 01:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Non achievement- it looks like I put my comment for the recital to # 27 instead of # 28. Cheryl was the only one noticed it. I don't know how to copy those back the right thread. I will just have to type over when I buy my iPad for Christmas. It's hard to type on this (iPhone).

MaryBee I really like your interpretation of Fur Elise. It's serene and poised and undoubtedly yours. It's hard, isn't it. I mean to be expressive. The Brahms piece I'm doing now is kind of similar. It's not so bad to get the notes but very difficult to play it well. It requires much more control than I thought. It's one of those nakid pieces that relentlessly expose technical and musical deficit of a pianist. I count Fur Elise in this category and practically all the Mozart pieces. I'm in the middle of the struggle, playing the piece phrase by phrase.

My teacher will come to my house the day after the Thanksgiving. Since we both have day off, we decided to have 2 hours or 3 hours of piano playing. I might have told you that I knew her since 20 years ago. We were both students then. She was a doctorate (Music) student and I went back there for masters (Not music, Business). I'm very happy that we are getting good friends again. I worked very hard on both pieces today. (Bach f minor P&F from Book II and Brahms Intermezzo 118 #2). I also threw in the third movement of Beethoven's Pathetique that I've been reading by myself. I think she is going get a chuckle seeing all three B's. None of them is memorized or performance ready. It's just now I can play through while reading the notes.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#1988372 - 11/19/12 03:14 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Malkin --- what a true achievement -connecting with autistic children through your music! That must have been a moving moment. Congrats on your sticker for the Jelly Bean Rag is a fun achievement too!

ATallGuyNH -- your story of your daughter doing a slow motion ballet to your slow practice made me laugh! How old is she?

Paperclip-- I guess everyone has their own ideas of when to take on harder pieces. I would be too frustrated with them, but if your teacher is showing you how to manage them without stress, that is fantastic and it must be very satisfying!

EdwardianPiano - congratulations! I think you're breaking down barriers and you've really found the key (no pun intended) to reading your music. And it all seemed to turn around in the blink of an eye! You had been building up to it without realizing it. What excitment to feel that sort of progress!

SandTiger - I continue to marvel at your progress and composing skills!

Toastie - I'm so glad your piano will be with you soon ..you've got oh....8.5 hours or so I reckon smile I will be watching for photos!

Micheal 99 --- Isn't it wonderful when we find little gems that just sound so sweet though they may not be complicated? Very satisfying indeed!

Farmgirl - you are enjoying your music so much more these past few months - I don't hear any of that frustration that you used to have. I think working with your new teacher, and getting back together with your old friend who is also a teacher has been a big positive change for you! I'm happy for you!

My ATOW was....I got the piano tuned ! smile
I played after the tuning was done and the tuner said she noticed a difference in how relaxed I was playing and how more at ease I seemed with managing the piano compared to when she was here last time. (Just as a note, I would not normally expect my tuner to me but being a foreigner does tend to catch people's attention and also the fact that I do work on tuning my own piano a bit... Well, I can see that she might remember me.) That was a nice bit of feedback.

#1988374 - 11/19/12 03:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
@Toastie: I'll quote my favorite movie to express what you must be feeling right about now.
Morgan Freeman voice: "I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain."

Enjoy the piano and I EXPECT PICTURES (when and if you can pull yourself away from the piano for a moment or two)!! yippie yippie
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#1988483 - 11/19/12 10:32 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Toastie - congratulations for you new piano. I can hardly wait for the picture.

SamR - I heard your piece on the recital. As musical as ever. You are one of the truly talented people I got to know. Keep up with your good work. I'm certain you will be an incredible pianist.

Cheryl - wow that's amazing. The praise from tuners is hard to get since they do see a lot of people. My tuner tunes pianos for Phoenix Symphony. So he meets practically all the soloist who come to perform with the symphony. No wonder he is dead silent on my playing.

SandTiger- congrats on performing your own composition. I feel like a total beginner when it
comes to song making. I created birth songs for my two dogs that I made up, sadly that's the extent of my compositions.

#1988502 - 11/19/12 11:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Toastie Offline

Just had a text from delivery company. They'll be here in 15 minutes!!! I'm a ball of nervous excitement. Have paced up and down for ages, so am attempting to distract myself as the minutes are dragging by.
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

#1988509 - 11/19/12 11:43 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Heh, then you have now the piano! Congrats!

#1988521 - 11/19/12 12:28 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

I bet Toastie is playing her new piano right now! smile

Congratulations!!!

#1988535 - 11/19/12 01:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yay Toastie's Piano has arrived!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1988548 - 11/19/12 01:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Toastie Offline

How do I upload a picture?!
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

#1988555 - 11/19/12 01:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Toastie]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Toastie
How do I upload a picture?!

Follow this link!!!

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/fileuploader2.html

#1988569 - 11/19/12 02:25 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Toastie Offline

Doesn't seem to work on my iPad. Will have to do it on the computer later as boyfriend's daughter is on there doing homework. It is truly beautiful, even boyfriend admits this and he was very reluctant about having a piano in the first place.
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

#1988570 - 11/19/12 02:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Congrats to everyone on their achievements! Toastie congrats on your new piano finally arriving! Looking forward to the pictures. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1988573 - 11/19/12 02:40 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jaredm2012 Offline

Loc: Alabama
Last night I learned about half of the Minuet in D Minor from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena. It is well under tempo and still shaky, but it was great to get so much done! My teacher wants me to be able to play it hands together for our next lesson after Thanksgiving break, and I will be out of town so I don't have a ton of time.

Also, I finally seem to be able to play the C Major scale four octaves without messing up too much. That one took a while...

Page 108 of 249 < 1 2 ... 106 107 108 109 110 ... 248 249 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12/19/14 07:54 AM
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
12/19/14 06:44 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159983 Topics
2349364 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission