2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 69 of 79 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 78 79
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
This may be a bit early...:) Here is a video from my Iphone 4 using the Tascam IM2 add-on mic. It was originally recorded by Liberace on a piano roll sometime in the late 70's early 80's. Later, some Ampico coding was added to give it a bit more expression. This is an LX scan from the Ampico roll, and played here on the LX. I recorded this about 6 months ago using Bill's custom EBVT III for my piano. smile I also used the Edwards string cover.

"White Christmas Medley" composed and played by Liberace, on the LX. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VVRy30RcTo&feature=plcp

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
GP, this might be slightly OT but something struck me about this video: When looking at the keys go down I can see what looks like it needs more than two hands to play the notes. For example, there are bass notes being physically held down while there is a spread of upper notes that span more than one hand. This is not possible if the roll is a representation of the pianist on his own? I am not an expert in piano rolls so maybe this is a silly question.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Chris...not silly at all, it's a good question!

Adding extra notes........This was one of the techniques the reproducing piano roll makers used to have the effect of a more complex and bigger sounding piece. There are many rolls out there that do not use this technique, but a lot that do, this being one of them.

All of the reproducing piano rolls ever produced were never able to capture 100% of what the pianist played, so in essence, they are not a true representation of the pianist, only a true representation for the reproducing player pianos. The 88 note rolls, which are very different from the reproducing rolls, have no expression other than loud and soft.

The most common reproducing rolls were the Ampico, Duo-Art, and Welte. A very popular 88 note roll was made by QRS.

On the other hand, the files made specifically for the LX, are a true 100% representation of the pianist.

This Liberace file was scanned from an Ampico roll. Liberace recorded this on a 88 note recording piano sometime in the late 70's, then some years later someone added the Ampico coding, which then gave it some expression. It was then scanned for the LX system.

Last edited by Grandpianoman; 11/16/12 10:00 PM. Reason: added content
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I wonder about the reproducing roll made by the great pianists during early 20th century playing classics. Was there ever much doctoring of those rolls?

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Everything on a reproducing roll was punched in according to markings on a roll. Dynamics were added according to notes made while the piece was played. Wrong notes were changed. Everything could be and was manipulated.

Semipro Tech
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
As the pianist played, a machine recorded in lines, the notes. After editing and approval, the rolls were punched. There was manipulation, and it was usually done in collaboration with the pianist, especially the great classical pianists. However, the length of the notes and the rhythms were not usually changed unless there was a mistake, or the pianist asked for a change. The Welte was another matter. An example, Rachmaninoff was reportedly paid $1,000 for every Ampico roll he made. He would listen to the final roll after the editors were finished, then have the editors make changes to, and/or add in some dynamics and expression to his liking, he would then give the ok to produce the roll. That was all they could do with the technology of their day.

An excellent website that goes into great detail and explains the inner most workings of the reproducing pianos, with some excellent mp3 recordings: http://www.pianola.org/reproducing/reproducing.cfm

Last edited by Grandpianoman; 11/17/12 12:24 AM. Reason: added content
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I have always been interested in knowing how much doctoring there was ever since some recording I had during the 60's. Sometimes I can make comparisons with audio recordings of same the pianist and composition sometimes and the comparisons seem to be quite variable. It is disheartening to know that doctoring went much beyond that of patching up mistakes. There is often the essence of an artist's style in these reproductions which can come across indicating that much of the original nuances were captured and not interfered with too much at times.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Chris, you are correct, there is the 'essence' of the artists in many reproducing piano rolls. The mp3's on the pianola website are an excellent example. http://www.pianola.org/reproducing/reproducing.cfm

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is a good video on the whole mechanical process for piano rolls. Taken at the old QRS factory in Buffalo NY, no longer in operation unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3FTaGwfXPM

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, that is a good example.

Here is the original Ampico perforator back in working order! smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkLDLYMw3qg&feature=plcp

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Just to add.....With the advent of computers etc, it is now possible to produce perfect, and in many cases, corrected original Ampico rolls. This company is one good example of what is possible nowadays, compared to the old cutting machines and technology of the 1920's.

http://www.precisionmusicrolls.com/technology.html

T
T
Where is Bill Bremmer?
I havn't seen him post around here since last August.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Well, Bill just tuned the Lester, again. As usual, it has a lovely shine to it. Thanks, Bill!

Before Bill tuned it, I *attempted* to tune it, and, as part of that attempt, also voiced the hammers. I needled the snot out of the them, and also used Jerry Groot's trick of using a wire brush on them. (I used my own trick of using a thimble to protect my finger from the voicing needle, too--a thimble on the finger steadying the hammer underneath the poke. Saved me some grief, for sure!) Needling and brushing really improved the sound. Thanks, Jer, for the wire brush trick!

So here, for your Christmas listening pleasure, is an arrangement of "Mary Had A Baby," (yes, she did!) as found in the Hal Leonard publication Christmas Solos For Piano: 60 Seasonal Favorites. Sadly, as is often the case in Hal Leonard publications, the arranger is not credited. I payed scurpulous attention to compositional details this time... Hope you like it.

Mary Had A Baby

--Andy Strong

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Andy,

Oh my. What beauty! (Here I was going to let my thoughts flow about the voicing, the pedaling, the SPACE and connection with the instrument the exquisite tuning... but I'll leave it with beauty, and JOY).

so nice.

Thank you!

Forrest

p.s. I have you on the big screen. :-)

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
And, since this is a tuner, technician forum... Did you notice the absence of noise from that instrument, especially the dampers?

Well done! Well done!

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tribbs
Where is Bill Bremmer?
I havn't seen him post around here since last August.

Shhhh...its been fairly quiet and civil around here, lets keep it that way.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Forrest! laugh Yes, the piano is behaving very nicely! I did have to bend one rogue damper into place (F2) and it still misbehaves somewhat, but the dampers really have settled in nicely. I also replaced the felt under the fall strip and also on the lip of the fall board, and that quieted down everything even more! Plus, I think the piano likes the winter when the climate inside the house gets steady!

I wish there was something I could do to improve the sound of the wound tri-chords in the tenor section, but I'm not at all sure what to do. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions. I do notice quite a few, uh, irregularities, in that part of the piano. Some of it looks like this:

[Linked Image]

Anyway, here's one more. This is a Phillip Keveren arrangement of Vince Guaraldi's "Christmas Time Is Here" that I did last night when the world around me was quiet.

Christmas Time Is Here

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
I wish there was something I could do to improve the sound of the wound tri-chords in the tenor section, but I'm not at all sure what to do. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions. I do notice quite a few, uh, irregularities, in that part of the piano.

Andy,

When you get a chance measure the speaking length of those trichords, let me know the note for each, core diameter, and overall wrap diameter (both of these with a caliper).

Jim Ialeggio

Jim Ialeggio
www.grandpianosolutions.com
advanced soundboard and action redesigns
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jim ialeggio
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
I wish there was something I could do to improve the sound of the wound tri-chords in the tenor section, but I'm not at all sure what to do. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions. I do notice quite a few, uh, irregularities, in that part of the piano.

Andy,

When you get a chance measure the speaking length of those trichords, let me know the note for each, core diameter, and overall wrap diameter (both of these with a caliper).

Jim Ialeggio

Cool, Jim! Will do! Thanks!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Enjoyed both recordings Andy!...very nice playing as well. Happy Holidays!

Page 69 of 79 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 78 79

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission