Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1987794 - 11/17/12 12:14 PM Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano
btcomm Offline

Loc: California
Anyone have any experience comparing the Acoustic Piano sound of the Nord Piano 2 and the Roland V-Piano? I briefly played the V but it had pretty crappy speakers hooked up and really couldn't get a feel for the piano sound as much as I'd like. I've heard the Nord Piano 2 has very large samples for the piano and of course the V is modeled but just wondering comparing just the sound of both acoustic pianos if the V is worth spending 3-4 grand more if only concerned about the sound.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1987807 - 11/17/12 12:49 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I've owned V-Piano and Nord Piano. I no longer own the V. This is a decision you will have to make for yourself.

My opinions are well documented on here in previous posts but my opinions may have no relationship to yours or anyone else's. Ask the store to set the VP up with some better near-field monitors or better still, play both pianos with (the same pair of) really decent headphones - and then you will have a level playing field upon which to judge them.

Good luck,

Steve

#1987814 - 11/17/12 01:06 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Also, realize that the V-Piano was designed to work with four monitors, to get the optimal results. Not enough to simply hook up four monitors, though, since you also have to configure for them in the setup menu.

Edited by Melodialworks Music (11/17/12 01:06 PM)
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1987836 - 11/17/12 02:11 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Just playing the main presets with headphones, I preferred the Nord. People have talked about the versatility or the Roland and how much can be adjusted to your tastes and so on, but I never had the chance to dive into it, so I can only talk about the out-of-the-box impression.

#1987901 - 11/17/12 05:26 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
btcomm Offline

I've never played the Nord and sure would like to try it out. The piano sounds of the Nord do sound pretty great at least when hearing them on YouTube. Anything has to sound better than my Roland FP-4 but I do like the FP-4's light touch. I'd have to say though unlike a lot of folks here that my main desire is a great acoustic piano sound and the touch secondary.

#1987910 - 11/17/12 06:08 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Did you consider a VST piano?

#1987944 - 11/17/12 07:47 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
RafaPolit Offline

Loc: Quito, Ecuador
Originally Posted By: btcomm
...I'd have to say though unlike a lot of folks here that my main desire is a great acoustic piano sound and the touch secondary.

Btcomm, I believe this is due to the fact that you get whatever action you purchase, but you can 'upgrade' the sound via software (as suggested by spanishbuddha above), so that's is why some of us tend to favor action over sound.

I have no idea what type of action is in the Nord, but from what I have heard on demos and posts, its sound is really the best 'on board' sound I have heard. The V-Piano, since its modeled, can actually be tweaked into different sounds, but there is a base 'tendency' that is characteristic of its sounds (from what I've heard), which you either love or don't smile .

Considering the amount you are talking about, its worth testing both with headphones and spending some time with them. Good luck with your choice.

Rafa.

#1987965 - 11/17/12 08:54 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
btcomm Offline

I really like what I hear about the Nord but as you say I will have to test out both in more detail.

I do realize you can get much better sound from VST but I guess I'm a little lazy and don't want to deal with the computer set-up and the rest of it at this time. If all else fails, yeh I might end up with a VST piano.

Thanks for the advise guys -- much appreciated.

#1988000 - 11/17/12 11:56 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

I do realize you can get much better sound from VST but I guess I'm a little lazy and don't want to deal with the computer set-up and the rest of it at this time. If all else fails, yeh I might end up with a VST piano.

Your choice of course. But initially it seemed like you were considering spending an extra $3K-4K just to get better acoustic sound. For $1K you could buy a new computer and a far better sounding VST (IMO). I don't know what "deal with the computer set-up and the rest of it" means to you exactly, but I would consider that trivial effort.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#1988063 - 11/18/12 08:27 AM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
anotherscott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I do like the FP-4's light touch.

I would say that both the Nord Piano and VPiano have a better feel than the FP4, including for people who specifically like a light touch.

#1988118 - 11/18/12 11:08 AM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
btcomm Offline

Macy, my "deal with the computer set-up and the rest of it" is my limited space and my living arrangement at this time so I'll leave it at that and as for spending 3-4 grand extra for the V that was more of a thought and not really a reality. I have in the back of my mind been thinking the Nord sounded better at least from videos but haven't tried one out yet and was just asking players here who have more experience than me with both of these models. But like I said earlier, I may still some time in the near future consider a VST set-up.

#1988125 - 11/18/12 11:21 AM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
btcomm Offline

anotherscott ------

Regarding the touch/action of the Nord, I'd love to try one out but can't seem to find one yet in my area. I like the action on the FP-4, not too heavy at all and not synth-like and hope when I do try out the Nord it has at least a little balanced weighted hammer action.

#1988127 - 11/18/12 11:23 AM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I think the Nord does sound better. It sounds more real and has some genuine variety in its piano sounds. There, I've said it! But it's not necessarily the better thing. The V-Piano's main weapon is its extraordinary dynamics and sense of nuance and far superior key action. But of course it is a product of very much higher price - so it should be better in every respect (which it isn't).

You might be very wise to wait until January and see what materialises at NAMM. If a very good quality controller keyboard should appear (let's imagine from Kawai) then the combination of that and some decent software running on a dedicated laptop will destroy the sounds in the Nord and V-Piano - all for a price comfortably below that of the V-Piano (in fact perhaps not that much more than the cost of the Nord Piano 2).

#1988134 - 11/18/12 11:51 AM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
krzyzowski Offline

The Nord is trully a Hoot. Like a Porsche. Plug in some power and it does it all. Love that aftertouch! Contemporary music needs a "certain created" sound style that dedicated pianos can't produce. The action is what it needs to be for a stage board.
As for the V, now that is IMHO one of the finest DP out there. The action is close enough to a renner, so you can play it for the rest of your life and not feel the need to "upgrade".
Too many plunk a key and think: "is it live or Memorex?" These are both superb cutting edge boards that the music of the last 200 years can be played on without reservation.
Get both and never look back. They are cheaper than some living room furniture..

#1988135 - 11/18/12 11:53 AM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
btcomm Offline

EssBrace ---

I definitely will wait and see -- thanks.

#1988185 - 11/18/12 02:11 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: krzyzowski]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: krzyzowski
The action is what it needs to be for a stage board.

Yes precisely. The OP cares about the sound, but under what conditions? The action does not bring out the best under studio or even home conditions. I think someone else hooked up another better DP action to the NP, via midi, and was amazed.

#1988191 - 11/18/12 02:39 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: anotherscott]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
I do like the FP-4's light touch.

I would say that both the Nord Piano and VPiano have a better feel than the FP4, including for people who specifically like a light touch.
To each his own. I think FP-4 is the a wonderful action. No bottoming out. I easily go from FP4 to my N2 without any loss of control. I think the Nord action blows and the V bottoms out too much.

#1988299 - 11/18/12 08:43 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: btcomm]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Macy, my "deal with the computer set-up and the rest of it" is my limited space and my living arrangement at this time so I'll leave it at that ... But like I said earlier, I may still some time in the near future consider a VST set-up.

If you ever do want to go that way and need/want to solve any space issues, a Mac Mini (7.7" x 7.7" x 1.4") and an iPad to act as the Mac Mini's wireless display, virtual keyboard, and virtual touchpad is a really ideal, incredibly tiny VST-host solution, and you can position the iPad on your keyboard to display your sheet music too. I'll never go back to using paper for music scores again.

CVP-409GP, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere

#1988302 - 11/18/12 09:07 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: EssBrace]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
I think the Nord does sound better. It sounds more real and has some genuine variety in its piano sounds. There, I've said it! But it's not necessarily the better thing. The V-Piano's main weapon is its extraordinary dynamics and sense of nuance and far superior key action. But of course it is a product of very much higher price - so it should be better in every respect (which it isn't).

You might be very wise to wait until January and see what materialises at NAMM. If a very good quality controller keyboard should appear (let's imagine from Kawai) then the combination of that and some decent software running on a dedicated laptop will destroy the sounds in the Nord and V-Piano - all for a price comfortably below that of the V-Piano (in fact perhaps not that much more than the cost of the Nord Piano 2).

Forgot about NAMM so soon! I wonder what will be arriving
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#1988303 - 11/18/12 09:09 PM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: Macy]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Macy,

Which iOS app do you prefer for controlling the Mac Mini?

Regards,

Ben

#1988383 - 11/19/12 04:35 AM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: slowtraveler]
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: slowtraveler
Macy,

Which iOS app do you prefer for controlling the Mac Mini?

Regards,

Ben

I've been experimenting. I'm using Mocha VNC right now, and will try (Real) VNC Viewer soon. It really boils down to personal preference on how you like to make mouse movements and move around the Mac desktop on the iPad touchscreen. There are so many VNC iPad apps for controlling a Mac its almost ridiculous. I don't how to pick the "best" but I only want to use one that is pure VNC and works with the Mac built-in VNC Screen Sharing, i.e. not one that requires a proprietary server program to be loaded on the Mac.

BTW, I'm currently using an iMac for my pianos, but it's 2 years old so I'll be giving it to my grand-daughters and switching to the Mac Mini/iPad. I currently do all the piano iMac setup using VNC Screen Sharing from the Mac Pro in my den anyway and seldom use the keyboard sitting next to the iMac and only use its mouse to control the piano programs while I'm playing.

#1988435 - 11/19/12 08:53 AM Re: Best PIANO sound -- Nord Piano 2 or Roland V-Piano [Re: Macy]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Originally Posted By: Macy

I've been experimenting. I'm using Mocha VNC right now, and will try (Real) VNC Viewer soon...

Thanks for sharing that. There is an unreasonable profusion of these VNC apps floating around.

The combination of Mini/iPad/software piano with the right keyboard is extremely appealing. I'm pretty certain that's the direction I want to go next. Looking forward to NAMM for some good news about MIDI controllers.

Regards,

B.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
131 registered (Abby Pianoman, accordeur, 36251, ajames, albumblatter, 36 invisible), 1851 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75595 Members
42 Forums
156302 Topics
2295547 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Happy Birthday torquenale !!!!
by CarlosCC
07/31/14 08:26 AM
compositional methods
by Michael Sayers
07/31/14 08:03 AM
Happy Birthday earlofmar !!!!
by CarlosCC
07/31/14 04:49 AM
Tight Key ??
by moy71
07/31/14 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
07/31/14 01:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission