Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
69 registered (Ben_NZ, Buesch, Auver, BabyCat, 20 invisible), 1183 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1988493 - 11/19/12 11:04 AM Chopin Nocturne E Minor, Op. 72, #1
Beethoven747-400 Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia
A piece a will be preparing for my upcoming AMEB grade 8 exam, which I am dreading, I don't think an eternity for practice will ever make me feel safe to walk into that exam room.

Criticising myself, I would say the forte section was just a bit too much, I blame the little Kawai piano in this big open space.

But please, anything to get me a better exam mark will be helpful!

Brandon

Edited by Beethoven747-400 (11/19/12 11:04 AM)

#1988503 - 11/19/12 11:29 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne E Minor, Op. 72, #1 [Re: Beethoven747-400]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I thought you played the Nocturne extremely well. One or two of the fast runs in the right could use a little more practice to be more secure and perhaps less brilliant(as in "here's the fast hard run").d

As hard as it may seem, I would try to take the exam more with the attitude..."Here are some masterpieces by some of the greatest composers I'd like to share with you."

What other pieces are you playing for the exam?

#1988767 - 11/20/12 12:28 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne E Minor, Op. 72, #1 [Re: Beethoven747-400]
Beethoven747-400 Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia
Thank you for your kindhearted approach pianoloverus, it's not often I receive a positive comment in regards to my performance.

You know, that is exactly what my teacher said. The fast runs should be less virtuosic. Also, I feel they need to be more even, especially the runs leading up to the climax.

I've been told to employ a rubato during the end of the diminished run at 3:15, however, it's difficult for me to slow down in the middle of a run like that...

My exam is on the 29th of November, I'll be playing;

Handel Fugue HWV 433
Mozart 13 Sonata K.333 - Movement 1
Chopin Op 72 No 1
Bartok Mikroskomos no 153.

I can make a video of them if you want.

#1988912 - 11/20/12 11:02 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne E Minor, Op. 72, #1 [Re: Beethoven747-400]
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Please do. Specifically K333. I can be very specific on that piece. I'm still on the road, but will give the Chopin a listen and try to comment today since you're exam is coming up.

My biggest advice would be: don't change anything you're not comfortable with changing, given the time frame. There was an entire thread based on this, but I wanted to reiterate. It would be worse to change something and be uncomfortable, than to change nothing and be comfortable.

More when I'm done with the afternoon meetings.

#1989049 - 11/20/12 06:22 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne E Minor, Op. 72, #1 [Re: Derulux]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: Derulux
Please do. Specifically K333. I can be very specific on that piece. I'm still on the road, but will give the Chopin a listen and try to comment today since you're exam is coming up.

My biggest advice would be: don't change anything you're not comfortable with changing, given the time frame. There was an entire thread based on this, but I wanted to reiterate. It would be worse to change something and be uncomfortable, than to change nothing and be comfortable.

Maybe, but "uncomfortable" is not a black and white issue so I think one has to way the degree of uncomfortability vs. the potential for improvement.

#1989193 - 11/21/12 12:59 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne E Minor, Op. 72, #1 [Re: pianoloverus]
Derulux Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: Derulux

Maybe, but "uncomfortable" is not a black and white issue so I think one has to way the degree of uncomfortability vs. the potential for improvement.

Agreed. My only concern is whether being uncomfortable (to whatever degree) would cause a complete collapse when the added stress/anxiety/nerves/etc of performing in public are added. Suffice to say, your consideration is absolutely with merit. smile

#1989331 - 11/21/12 10:42 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne E Minor, Op. 72, #1 [Re: Beethoven747-400]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Beethoven747-400
I've been told to employ a rubato during the end of the diminished run at 3:15, however, it's difficult for me to slow down in the middle of a run like that...

That would have been one of my suggestions as well, but I think you are playing this Nocturne beautifully and that you will do just fine in your exam! As others have said, don't make any big changes this close to the exam.

#1992775 - 11/30/12 10:58 AM Re: Chopin Nocturne E Minor, Op. 72, #1 [Re: Beethoven747-400]
Batuhan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Istanbul
Your rubato is very exaggerated. Your understanding of the piece is well. But you play the whole piece rubato try to play in strict tempo make rubato when It's necessary. Otherwise you sound stumbled. Also you use too much pedal. And you have to work on legato.

Edited by Batuhan (11/30/12 10:59 AM)

#1992795 - 11/30/12 12:03 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne E Minor, Op. 72, #1 [Re: Beethoven747-400]
pianoloverus Offline

How did your exam go?

#1992912 - 11/30/12 04:51 PM Re: Chopin Nocturne E Minor, Op. 72, #1 [Re: Beethoven747-400]
HenryTuckwell Offline

Loc: Saxony
Brandon
I thought you played this great piece very well.
Your expression and pace were just right.
A pity the camera didn't do any zooming on
your playing.
I hope your exam went well.
Henry

Moderator:  Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
12/19/14 06:44 AM
Kawai's CS series are hard to find..
by vcsel
12/19/14 06:14 AM
Which Treble Mute works the Best?
by Paul678
12/19/14 04:39 AM
Blubbering and friction
by music32
12/19/14 03:22 AM
Merry Christmas!
by ZikO
12/19/14 03:05 AM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159975 Topics
2349302 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission