Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1988650 - 11/19/12 06:48 PM Thumping DP keys lack of fluidity?
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
I just saw a youtube vid, and it said that most low end DPs have a key thumping noise...

Playing I notice it....

Apparently if said something to the effect of as you become a better pianist and you stand to have more fluid motion in your finger tips. The thumping noise of the keys will dissipate considerably (but will not dissappear?.

I'm still very much a beginner, and I used to be an FFFF (yes +1 F) player but have recently started to be a little softer on the keys.... but I use headphones!

Any ideas as to if this is true or not?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1988891 - 11/20/12 10:13 AM Re: Thumping DP keys lack of fluidity? [Re: justpin]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
My tip is if you use a DP to practice, either with speakers or headphones, turn the volume up so it's loud, as loud as an acoustic if possible. Now you have to learn to play softly with control, or go deaf.

Conversely having the volume low encourages key pounding, and with plastic keys on many entry level DP's that means lots of clackity clack.

If you're a beginner perhaps start by turning the volume up a wee bit more than you're used to, and work with that.

#1988906 - 11/20/12 10:45 AM Re: Thumping DP keys lack of fluidity? [Re: spanishbuddha]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
I started, as many, on a non-weighted keyboard. Namely from a Yamaha PSR, to a Yamaha DP95. Until my fingers built strength, i thought i was probably heavy handed. The more i play, the more i think it's not really about strength but attack. One sort of has to snap a piano key or else it won't sound. Organs one simply presses the keys. Then later you figure out just how little snap it takes to fire a piano key, real hammer or not. I've played Yamaha C & G grands. Weight/action-wise, they feel about the same as the DP95.
There's something to be said for being able to hear what you're playing and not machine noise. I at least turn it up so i can't hear the keys. Or if playing along with a CD, i'll run the volume so i can hear both equally. Same goes with playing along with somebody else. In a small room especially, volume control (DPs) are a good thing.

#1988909 - 11/20/12 10:52 AM Re: Thumping DP keys lack of fluidity? [Re: justpin]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
I think you're using the volume control intelligently, Farmerjones. The difficulty with the DP is that those without acoustic piano experience can use a low volume level for comfort and convenience (as much for others in the household as themselves) and in this way be unaccustomed to controlling the volume with their fingers.

You can't play an acoustic quietly without sufficient control.

#1988910 - 11/20/12 10:57 AM Re: Thumping DP keys lack of fluidity? [Re: justpin]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
The thumping is very noticeable on my Casio PX-135, but only if somebody plays it with headphones on. If I am playing it, either with speakers or headphones, I can't hear the thumping, even if the music is very soft and the volume is low, so this probably mean the thumping is not so loud after all.

@spanishbuddha, the thing you say about volume is very true. I turned it up quite a bit since I found out I didn't have enough dynamic range to play with when I kept the volume low. It is much better to have a loud piano and do one's best to play softly than to turn the volume down.

#1988921 - 11/20/12 11:33 AM Re: Thumping DP keys lack of fluidity? [Re: justpin]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Spanishbuddha is making a ton of sense. I have a higher end digital piano (Roland KR-7)and its keys 'thump' as well. They all do. Even the action in an acoustic piano does when pressed.

I absolutely love my digital, ..BUT... you MUST be very careful and always try (if you can) to play it as close to an acoustic piano as you possibly can. If you don't, you can easily learn bad habits that are very hard to correct later.

The best examples are in touch (as spanishbuddha said) and in pedaling. It is WAYYY to easy to simply put a brick on the pedal of a digital and forget about it. In addition, playing at a lower volume than an equivalent acoustic can easily lead to becoming a pounder. I know because I am one {horrible pedaler too) for the exact reasons mentioned.

Should these horrible things happen to you (becoming a pounder AND a horrible pedaler), don't worry as there is hope. It's just going to be much more difficult to fix because you will first need to undue a bad habit and then learn new good ones. It sounds simple but it will screw with your mind for a while until you are re-wired. This is not easy to do.

Edited by Mr Super-Hunky (11/20/12 11:49 AM)

#1988928 - 11/20/12 11:42 AM Re: Thumping DP keys lack of fluidity? [Re: justpin]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
My Roland also thumps but I only notice it in the higher octaves.

As for the volume. When I first got it, I picked a set volume for the monitor (about half way) and the headphones (just under that because they are louder.) The only time I touch volume is when I switch between the monitor and headphones. I'd love to crank it up more with the monitor (and sometimes do) but I have a family and neighbors to think of. Otherwise my volume control requires my fingers to do the work. smile

I really think that the lack of vibration is why we can hear the thumping. On my acoustic I don't notice it thumping but I'm sure it does thump. However when you press a key the vibrations mask it. Nothing on a dp to mask it. (that's my theory anyways. LOL)

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1988929 - 11/20/12 11:45 AM Re: Thumping DP keys lack of fluidity? [Re: justpin]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

My new teacher put me through some lullaby pieces to get me to stop hammering the keys, and I think its working as I am a bit lighter on the keys.... it was funny because I kept the volume low to protect my hearing, so had to hammer to get it so I could hear it.

However I do have the brick on sustain problem.

#1988930 - 11/20/12 11:47 AM Re: Thumping DP keys lack of fluidity? [Re: justpin]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Does this tie in with being able to feel key presses through the stand? I know this is way too hard but I rest my foot on it sometimes (right one as I only have one pedal). I've sometimes had to take my headphones off thinking there is somebody walking around in the flat upstairs. frown

#1989154 - 11/20/12 10:41 PM Re: Thumping DP keys lack of fluidity? [Re: justpin]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I would recommend getting some time on an acoustic if at all possible, even one in crummy condition. I couldn't possibly develop any pedaling skills whatsoever without my out of tune spinet. When I'm on the DP, I'm pretty much in brick mode, focusing on touch and rhythm.

As for the vibration theory, my money is on felt or lack thereof.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
10/21/14 05:27 PM
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Who's Online
139 registered (36251, ajames, accordeur, A Guy, 35 invisible), 1723 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158401 Topics
2326117 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission