2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Recital #28!!!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #28 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #28 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music! heart

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There's nothing I like as much as punching the "play" button on the streaming player while I'm doing the rest of the recital work. What a great group of selections! I'll start commenting on individual pieces tomorrow, but I just wanted to offer my congratulations to everybody who participated, as well as my appreciation. I know just how hard it is to face down that Red Dot. Thank you all for being willing to do so! heart

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I did this randomly but I got so many here that some may be offended that I missed. But rest assured, I actually listened completely randomly. Just have a small batch remaining. In general, it's amazing how people have improved so much from these recitals. I've been on so many of these now and I can hear the development among so many of you. Something to be really proud of. And Monica, it's amazing how much work you put into making sure everything runs smooth and organized. THANK YOU.

So here are my comments...

01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover
Your playing is very nice Carlos. Really pretty tone and evenly played with really nice legato. So is this improvised or your additional playing was pre-planned? Whichever it is, it sounds really good. You at least "composed" the additional stuff really well. Great work!

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand
Fabulous job for 5 months! You are doing really well. You are playing evenly with really good tone and balance. I would say you're doing amazing work and welcome to a first recital. What an opener!

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772)
Very nice! So even with really nice legato and nice balance between the hands. This is really good work.

04. Peyton - Message From Space: Waiting for the Sun
...Like an impressionistic painting. It just sets up a really nice imagery for me. A musical montage. Very impressive, expressive and really enjoyable. And of course such fantastic tone on the piano.

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses
What a very wonderful recording quality. No wonder you're able to critique us all on that front, you certainly have it figured out. This is really a pretty piece which I haven't heard before. I said this before, you need to really slow it down to listen to some micro-timing issues. I can sense you controlling rubato but what you're not hearing is the unevenness between the notes. Otherwise very enjoyable!

06. Amaruk - Summer '78
Very pretty tone! Delicate sound you're bringing out. Wonderful evenness. You have pretty good time. Lovely.

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1
So mesemerizing. Always looking forward to your playing. Really great listen. I'm hearing of course the "lots of years" as a kid. That's always the deep back story in such fine playing.

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936)
Great stuff. Really enjoyed this. Such evenness and fantastic legato and tone.

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge
I'm amazed first of all at your choices of tunes (as always). You must start working on the next one after each recital because there's so much to each one. Such difficult tunes. Your voicings and register spread here are really top notch. The tone you've achieved here is excellent as well. This is pianistically really well done. The recording quality is excellent as well.

10. timmyab - Arabesque no 1
Why the sigh at the 20 years? It shows in the sound. Really beautiful playing. Time to buy yourself an acoustic! I'm sure I can't hear all the nuances because you're playing on a digital. Great playing.

11. Mr Super-Hunky - Nothing Else Matters-original cover
Whoa you've changed your recording technique! The volume on this is so low. Anyway, I've maxed my volume but can't hear the fantastic fine points. First of all, from a playing perspective, your tone and evenness is outstanding. Really great stuff. I just wanted to hear more of the overtones and can't really appreciate all the beauty with the low volume. But I know it's there!

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor
This piece is so good for developing good tone with chords and you are doing a fantastic job at that. And very nice work of bringing out the melody in the balance. The rubato though needs some work. Rubato still requires very even playing so something to focus on next to bring it to the next level. Amazing work BTW for 10 months.

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena
Fine performance Walt. Really enjoyed it. Probably lighten the LH more. Decide which voice you want to highlight. the LH notes were a little dominant...just comments to bring it up to the next level. Good job!

14. ladypayne - Early Winter
LadyPayne, this is quite a leap for you. It sounds great. Evenly played and powerful tone. Congrats on a big improvement!

15. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sandy
Nice job Sandy! Too bad the sound was so badly compressed in the recording. The only thing I can hear are the highs. But at least I can comment on the nice evenness and how the melody is standing out. I'm sure I'm missing out on other outstanding qualities because I can't hear it. I'm sure it's there!

16. BenPiano - Poem
I really liked this piece and your performance Ben. Really good work. For some improvement, maybe try reducing the percussiveness a little by pulling back a bit on the heavy hand. Just a little refinement.

17. Monica K. - Opening
Beautiful tone Monica! So mesmerizing to listen to. This is very hard to play evenly though and amazingly you did it well with little fade rhythmically. Your sense of time has definitely taken another step up. Great work!

19. Jazztpt (Russ) - You See
That was pretty amazing! You are quite the composer. Really nice progressions and voicings. Your tone is wonderful. Just an enjoyable top notch performance.

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day
I recognize the iRealB backing track! First of all I haven't heard you play combo before so this was so refreshing and you did an awesome job. Congratulations! I really liked your sound here. BTW, I thought you misspelled Angel Eyes but apparently not smile This should solve your form/bar issues too I bet. Nothing like a combo to set the form.

21. Andy Platt - Gavotte and Variations
Lovely tone and really nice playing. You are progressing rather well! Congratulations!

22. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Romanza and The Little Music Box
Very nice progress Cheryl! What I notice here is an increased ability to be more delicate in your playing and given the short time you've been doing this, you're doing an awesome job. Really nice tone and evenness.

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby
Amazing! Difficult tune to be working on. I waited to the very end because I wasn't sure you were going to take a solo. But you did and I was clapping for you. Great work. You nailed that head perfectly. Looks like you had a good arrangement.

28. MaryBee - Bagatelle No.25 in A minor (Fur Elise)
Very nice MaryBee! Sounds really good. Really nice tone and evenness. Some pedal muddiness to sort out and maybe some more play with dynamics for the future but overall a wonderful job.

29. Allard - Before the Last Leaf Falls (to do)

31. zrtf90 (Richard) - Romance Sans Paroles, Op. 17 No. 3
Beatiful piece. I just wish I could hear you play this on an acoustic. The DP doesn't do you justice here. Very enjoyable.

32. TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner - Be Thou My Vision
Awesome tone and touch. That was beautifully done. Such outstanding work making that melody stand out. And great evenness. Top notch!

36. lyricmudra - Consolation No. 3
Well you certainly haven't lost chops from a 35 year absence. That was really beautiful playing. Such exquisite tone you're getting. I'm glad you came back to the piano so we're not deprived of listening to such beautiful music.

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You
One of favorite standards and one which I often play at a gig. Really nice arrangement you chose here. Very enjoyable listen and thanks for the treat!

40. Sam S - Prelude Opus 28 number 15 (Raindrop)
This being one of the few classical pieces I have played, I can say I know what it takes. I'm impressed with your playing here. Such a nice balance of tone between the hands. Very nice evenness with enough rubato to feel it have motion. Your time/rhythm is excellent. Unfortunately, the recording quality takes from the enjoyment of listening to such a great performance. I can't appreciate the dynamics because of it. But I can tell you're doing it really well especially tbe buildup in the Storm section. This is the best I've heard from you. Congratulations!

43. Starr Keys - Broken Hearted Me
Starr Keys your voice is so wonderful. Please keep doing recitals accompanying yourself singing. It's just so entertaining and enjoyable! Great work.

44. Valencia - Work in Progress --Chopin's Etude 25/11
Very impressive Valencia! Definitely haven't lost your chops after leaving the instrument for awhile. You definitely had skills before you stopped. I'm glad you're back to playing so we don't get deprived of the pleasure. And sorry for accidentally missing your entry. I was doing this randomly and I got crosseyed.

45. jotur/Cathy Turner - Alexander's Ragtime Band
Another great sounding ragtime performance. Very even playing and really good tone. Excellent balance on the chords between the hands. Just watch out for the legato which gets lost on occasion. Wonderful!

46. Coldsalmon - Nocturne in Eb Major, Op. 9 No. 2
Your performance here would have indicated to me someone with years on the piano exceeding yours. Really well played. You made the melody stand out so well. The left hand balanced well. Legato was well done. Dynamics was wonderful. Evenness was outstanding. Overall really great stuff!

47. windywindy - Love Is All Around
Enjoyable cover of such a fabulous tune. Well done and welcome to a first recital. Really glad you took the plunge and with excellent results.

48. Teodor - Tereza's Inspiration (Original Piece)
It's amazing to see how much you're progressing and so quickly. This, first of all is a very nice composition and secondly played wonderfully. Great work.

49. BillM - When You Wish Upon A Star
What a treat! Excellent piano playing and singing as always. Your voice really sounds exceptional on this tune. When's the next gig?

50. Bessel - The Happy Farmer (Returning from Work), and Wild Horseman
Excellent job making that melody stand out and balancing the rest of the tone. You are progressing really well. Congrats!

51. PianoStudent88 - Minuets BWV Anh. 114, 115 (to do)
Great job here PS88! You have good evenness and really powerful tone. You're not afraid to dig in that's for sure. Keep at it!

52. Mar_red - Dom (Home) / Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Medley.
Nice work Mar_red and thanks for bringing Christmas early!

53. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor
One thing I noticed was that your evenness has improved. Playing fast pieces like this can be dangerous for some but I can tell you didn't neglect your practice and your technique has gone up another notch. Wonderful job!

54. Norrec, Tim - Solitude
Very good job Tim. Not bad at all for just a little over a year. Really nice tone and evenness. Great work.

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri
That was impressive. I thought it was a multi-track recording and was surprised to read that you're changing all this live. Looks like you have some real keyboard skills here. Maybe time to get a more sophisticated workstation smile Great job. This really sounds good for a play by ear.

Last edited by jazzwee; 11/16/12 01:44 PM.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
01. CarlosCC - Canzone Popolare (Francia 1500ca) - Original extended cover - As a certified Einaudi fan, I really liked your expansion of this prelude!

Often I've heard small snips of music, perhaps in my commute to work, and expanded on them in my mind. But to bring this out in reality on the piano is impressive.

Thumbs up and well done for a great start to this quarter's recital! wink

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand - Very well done! As a 3+ year ABF participant, I feel like an old guy around here. I would offer a bit of sage advice, but you've already proved it - if one really loves a piece, it can be learned and played amazingly without regard to experience on piano!

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772) - Ahh, children fighting it out to the death in the background as we immerse ourselves in piano for a brief moment during the day - completely normal as an adult piano playing parent! grin

Again, well done with this invention. All of these are seriously tricky!

05. wouter79 - Les Baricades Misterieuses - Very well played! This is an interesting piece - clearly Baroque yet with hints of new age type sounds. Couperin was clearly ahead of his time!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
06. Amaruk - Summer '78 - Great playing and really a tremendous job editing the video - it brought it all together.

07. dannylux / Mel - Kosenko Consolation Op.9 No.1 - Hmm, me likey! Wrote down the info for later - thanks for introducing me to this! (ok, those arpeggios sound killer, maybe not!) Some day... some day.

08. Greener / Jeff Green - Little Preludes No. 2 (BWV 934) & No. 4 (BWV 936) - It's really nice to hear some rarely played Bach in these ABF recitals. Well done!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks, jazzwee. This was supposed to be the "calibration" recording so I wouldn't get clipping, etc :\ But it's the only time I got a recording, so, oh well laugh I had a great time with it.

This is what I've heard so far:

23. SandTiger - Shimmer What a delight! I loved the two themes and the interaction, and the ending was a perfect development. Bravo!

24. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Meditation A great find. Thanks for the link to the bio. How did you find this? It was very romantic, and would fit well with the pieces I do for seniors. Almost movie background music. I can see Fred Astaire making eyes at someone over a candlelit table in a fancy restaurant, fading into a walk-into-the-sunset hand in hand. Roll the credits. Lovely.

25. Hawgdriver - Nocturne This was lovely. Very contemplative, delicate, and expressive. Maybe even nostalgic. Beautifully played.

26. MusicaMusique - Je t'aimais I liked the movement in this piece - no lagging, steady forward. And very nicely played, too.

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz for Debby That album was my first introduction to jazz. I still play it sometimes (it's on vinyl). I love your version, and I think "Liv" is perfect. I'll be listening again to this.

28. MaryBee - Bagatelle No. 25 I was caught up in it from the opening note. You really made it sing. Wonderfully expressive. Excellent, excellent.

29. Allard - Before the Last Leaf Falls Well done. I love the crescendo from the beginning. You played this with great sophistication.

30. jazzwee - Blue Monk That swings! You guys' energy not only comes across to your live audience, it comes right out of my computer speakers, too! Your comping is really tasteful, perfect. I loved it.

31. zrtf90 (Richard) - Romance sans Paroles "Over play and under rehearse" - I resemble that! But it was a very pretty piece, and well-played. Bet you're glad to be back to the piano, and you've been a great addition to the ABF, too.

32. Tx-Dennis/Dennis Turner - Be Thou My Vision Oh, very nice, Dennis. I like this arrangement, too. Sometimes I've played hymn arrangements that are so complicated or jazzed up they lose the hymn. But this arrangement and your playing kept the reverence. Well done.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
I lost almost a month of practicing due to work and travel, so I couldn't make it for this recital, so sorry - for myself, not for you wink
But I'm browsing through the pieces and they're all a joy to listen! From what I've heard by now, I can say I'm absolutely in love with Yann Tiersen's piece played by Amaruk and the Philip Glass played by Monika K. I also loved Casinitaly's Romanza, Kenjazz's Waltz, and of course the beautiful rendition of Fur Elise by Marybee. So much great, heartfelt music to listen to!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Below are those that I've reviewed so far, which I listened to sequentially. Hopefully I'll be able to get to the rest on another day.

For those I skipped, no offense intended, I enjoyed all of the performances but only commented on those where I had something in particular I wanted to say.

Great job by all... I'm looking forward to participating next time (hopefully).

500 years old? Wow... not even remotely "ruined". I loved the dynamics and the rubato. I just might be in the market for a P85 (some day) based on hearing what you could do with it.

Without your description, and perhaps even without the title, I'm pretty sure I still would have "gotten it". It was that evocative, mesmerizing, and beautiful. Interesting that we have two others who posted pieces (cgyan @ #18 and Inlanding @ #20) with the same basic concept of night turning to day.

I've watched a few pre-dawn meteor showers with my kids, and it is a really nice experience gradually going from star gazing to the full light of day, and to enjoy every moment of that transition for its uniqueness, instead of bustling around and missing it all because we're too busy burning toast and worrying about whether our clothes match.

Yes, I made it through the whole 10 minutes, and it was well worth it. If they ever do "The Truman Show" for real, I think you should see if you can get hired to play for the sunrise so you can do that full version of 90 minutes. I'd listen.

Who knows what Couperin intended, but what I heard was a conversation between two people, or perhaps a group of people. Point and counterpoint (as you noted), breaking down barriers to understanding and common purpose. Great job -- it really spoke to me about keeping up the good fight of trying to work things out with people with whom it isn't always easy to do so.

06. Amaruk - Summer '78

Haunting at first, then optimistic, very nice job. I was a child at the time, makes me think of the wonders of childhood discovery.

Great job on those arpeggios, and I loved the slowdown at the end.

I love Debussy and your performance did this justice I thought. Particularly the quieter portions, very lovely and delicate.

12. Jake S - Prelude no.4 in E minor

Nice job. My wife would call this "the sort of thing Schroeder would play to make Snoopy howl". Commonly played, but with good reason as it wears well.

There were some spots, towards the end especially, where the notes were so soft as to be imperceptible or they sounded like they were foreshortened. Perhaps because they were played so tentatively that you were hovering on the key right at the point of engagement with the whatever-it-is on a digital that makes it do its thing. I have the same issue, so not sure what to recommend as helpful technical feedback re: helping, but pointing it out as a fellow struggler with trying to get to pp and ppp while still consistently getting the hammer to make good contact and not getting the damper on the string earlier than I intend either.

I did really like it though!

13. Wj3 / Walt - Bethena

Nice deliberate pace, I liked it a lot.

17. Monica K. - Opening

Lovely. Your hands sounded like the proper ones to me!

18. cgyan / Iain - Morning Light

I must say, the bar was set very high for this night to day concept by Peyton (#4), but this was fantastic. A very moving piece -- and you've executed it really wonderfully. Gave me chills.

20. Inlanding - Glen - Angle Eye and Morning Greets the New Day

For "Angle Eye": Over too soon! I loved it... had me tapping my foot and bopping around in my chair.

For "Morning Greets the New Day": A little darker than #4 and #18 in the trio of "morning" entries, but I really liked it. Nicely paced and understated.

22. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Romanza and The Little Music Box

I looked forward to hearing your entry in particular due to our back and forths over the last few days.

Very nicely done, they both seemed very "clean". I especially liked how you got "Music Box" to really sound like one!

Billy Joel next time? :-)

24. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Meditation

I've never heard of Cecile Chaminade, and come to think of it I can't name a single other female composer, so it's interesting to listen to this from that perspective. I'm a lightweight when it comes to classical though, so maybe she is widely known and there are other famous female composers that I don't know of?

Anyway, I'll likely get myself in trouble here by being misconstrued, so without regard to the gender of the composer, I really liked the piece, and found your performance to be so proficient that I was simply engrossed in hearing a composer's voice that I had not heard before and wasn't really noticing your performance per se. What I mean is, to me this is the pinnacle of a great interpretation, when we're focused on the feelings that are evoked -- i.e. the performer is in the service of the music and not vice versa.

I thought you nailed it in that regard. Great job.

27. kenjazz (Ken) - Waltz For Debby

Very impressive. I would have never guessed that it was simplified in any way.

28. MaryBee - Bagatelle No.25 in A minor (Fur Elise)

I think of "Fur Elise" as being to classical piano what Kool & The Gang's "Celebration" is to wedding receptions. It's far and away #1 on my list of "pieces I would never consider doing because they are so overplayed".

So, honestly, I wasn't really planning to listen to this one. But, your "Additional Info" comments stopped me short. After reading your comments, and listening to your performance in light of those comments, I see Fur Elise in a new light -- one of artistic vulnerability that you modeled for us so well.

Thanks for making yourself vulnerable with this piece. I thought you did a fantastic job!

30. Jazzwee - Blue Monk

Ummm... wow!?! "Too percussive"? Goodness, I'm not even sure I know what that means. Of course, I know what it means in plain English, but really it just sounded stupendous to me. If I play daily, I'm virtually certain I won't be able to play live like this even twenty years from now.

Awesome hearing a truly live recording here. Loved every second of it.

32. TX-Dennis/Dennis Turner - Be Thou My Vision

Beautiful version of a beautiful hymn. You did a great job of the balance between the hands, the right just rings out so nicely. Beautiful tone from the Kawai.

35. MrPozor - The Doll's Funeral

Nicely done!

Regarding getting the piano tuned. I would say that if you have to ask, then the answer is "yes". It should be tuned once or twice a year depending on who you ask. If you only get it tuned when you can hear that it is out of tune, that's not a good thing. This is coming from someone who has had a dis-used spinet that has not been tuned for at least ten years, and has now fallen by a half step and even by a whole step in the very highest notes. Not good for the piano, or the ears.

Exquisite. I've listened to most of the submissions, many are "wonderful", "lovely", "beautiful", and so on, but this is the only "exquisite" for me. I will be coming back to listen to it again and again.

37. TrapperJohn - I'll Be Seeing You

Thank you for sharing this with us. Very nicely done and a perfect song for so many situations.

38. DadAgain (& DadAgains Daughter) - Rondo Op163 #6

You two are amazing. My daughter (about the same age as yours, based on your prior posts) and I struggled to do "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas" together last Christmas, and you two are doing this!

Loved it.

It actually sounded not at all bad considering it was an internal mic!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Well you certainly haven't lost chops from a 35 year absence. That was really beautiful playing. Such exquisite tone you're getting. I'm glad you came back to the piano so we're not deprived of listening to such beautiful music.

Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Exquisite. I've listened to most of the submissions, many are "wonderful", "lovely", "beautiful", and so on, but this is the only "exquisite" for me. I will be coming back to listen to it again and again.

FYI -- I wrote my comments before seeing jazzwee's comments. So that's two completely independent "exquisites" for lyricmudra. Not bad at all for 35 years off!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
The long awaited day is here! How exciting to wake up and see that folks have already started giving feedback! I can't wait to get started with my listening.

Thanks very much Jazzwee and ATallGuyNH, what a lovely way to start my day! TallGuy... who knows? Maybe it will be Billy next time round.:)

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

M
M
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH

35. MrPozor - The Doll's Funeral

Nicely done!

Regarding getting the piano tuned. I would say that if you have to ask, then the answer is "yes". It should be tuned once or twice a year depending on who you ask. If you only get it tuned when you can hear that it is out of tune, that's not a good thing.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback. The piano was tuned before delivery one month ago. I will definitely have it tuned once per year but was wondering whether it makes sense to do so already now.

I'm not 100% pleased with the sound of the piano but don't know whether it's the piano or the room acoustics. It does sound much better when I listen to someone else playing as opposed to playing myself. Maybe a piano tuner would be able to help me.

Equipment: Petrof 118 L1, Yamaha P-155
A
A
There is so much! I started listening while at work, but find it takes too much concentration to follow so much new music. Will continue later.

I sort of have mixed feelings about this recital. A mix of inspiration, awe and a little bit of despair - so many people playing so well, with so much more experience. A lot of these pieces don't sound like beginner's work at all!

I liked it and didn't even notice the transition from the original piece to your extension.

02. jaredm2012 Jared Miller - To Zanarkand
Nice work! You play it much better than I did at five months. As you say, some mistakes in the second half, but nothing really bad. Piano collections next?

03. cebukid - Bach Invention 1 in C-Major (BWV 772)
Once in the zone, kids shouting, cars passing by, planes crashing, or similar distractions don't really matter :p They could've applauded, though...

Yup, listened to all of it. I wouldn't mind hearing that hour and a half version either.

I can hear the harpsichord hidden between the notes. Sounds great on piano too.

06. Amaruk - Summer '78
A lovely piece, but it does not make me think of summer. A little sad? What happened in the summer of 1978?
That said, I'm listening to this for the third time now and it definitely stays interesting.

Soothing indeed. Practise the arpeggios first, appreciate how beautiful it sounds and you'll start looking forward to them rather than worry as you approach the hard part.

Wow, this sounds good. I wouldn't be surprised to find a recording like this on any 'official' cd. Why the sigh at 20 years experience?

Whoa, this is not what I had expected. I figured it would be something sounding like the orchestrated version, but not so! You give it your own sound, and nothing else matters.

53. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Solfeggietto (Solfeggio) in C Minor
Heard it played before by the pianist of one of my favourite bands. I'm amazed you play it so well with only two years experience.

54. Norrec, Tim - Solitude
The final notes hint at more to come. Is there a repeat or something?

55. Mile Hi Steve - Halloween Potpourri
Multiple instruments, nice laugh I hope you were dressed up properly for the live performance at the talent show. I thought I heard a few short slow-downs in the part before the organ finale, but I couldn't tell whether that was intended or because those parts were particularly hard.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Reviews at Random...

Carlos - really exquisitely lovely...

Mel - very consoling Consolation...

09. Riddler (Ed) - Chelsea Bridge

Ed - super Strayhorn stuff...

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allard

I sort of have mixed feelings about this recital. A mix of inspiration, awe and a little bit of despair - so many people playing so well, with so much more experience. A lot of these pieces don't sound like beginner's work at all!

Allard, I had a very similar reaction after my first ABF recital!! I questioned the definition of an adult beginner!
Our beginners range from absolute "never played an instrument" to "played an instrument but not piano" to "played piano as a kid then took a 40 year break".

You are quite right that many of these pieces don't sound at all "beginner-ish" --- but do not let it make you despair. Inspiration is good--- awe is fun, but intimidating!!
Just think of what YOU will be playing in a few years!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Just a quick comment to say how impressed I have been with the quality entries and obvious talent in this recital. I began listening to the streamer last evening when the recital opened, while also reviewing the write ups. In many instances I had to do a double take to be sure I was looking at the correct write up (what ? you have been playing how long ? amazing ...)

Some really great stuff here everyone, I look forward to listening to it all and commenting further. I'm pleasantly pleased and very impressed so far.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
More Random Reviews:

14. ladypayne - Early Winter

lady - wild & wooley winter...

16. BenPiano - Poem

Ben - listenably short & sweet...

18. cgyan / Iain - Morning Light

Iain - terrifically tender and tasty! Loved this!

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately I couldn’t participate in this recital, but I’ll enjoy all your performances this weekend, while I have a glass of wine, or two smile.

The recital program looks fantastic!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
As usual please, PM me if you play an acoustic and want me to comment on your piece!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I just heard the whole recital and I'm impressed with some of the pieces I've heard. I'll make individual comments, as usual. Congratulations to all.

@Recaredo, I noticed that you did not took part in the recital... Don't drink too much because then you will say that we are all a genius smile

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[quote=jazzwee]
Whoa you've changed your recording technique! The volume on this is so low. Anyway, I've maxed my volume but can't hear the fantastic fine points. First of all, from a playing perspective, your tone and evenness is outstanding. Really great stuff. I just wanted to hear more of the overtones and can't really appreciate all the beauty with the low volume. But I know it's there!

Thanks for the feedback Jazzwee. I realized when I submitted this piece that the gain levels of the recording were on the low side. I remember reading that "all submissions will be normalized" and thought that the louder recordings would be lowered a bit and the quieter recordings would be increased in volume so that when played back they all sound around the same volume. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the case unless I am not understanding this concept correctly.

In any case, if you can't hear my recording, (meant for others, )please turn up the volume. I'll have to set a more accurate gain level next time but in a digital format, it shouldn't matter as that can easily be adjusted after the fact. I was incorrectly under the impression that this was being done under the 'normalization' step.

My bad!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission