Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#1981955 - 11/02/12 07:57 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
CMohr Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Oregon
Cheryl, I've missed a lot of days. Sept. 29 through Oct.15 we were visiting my mother-in-law and returned home to find out my mom had a major set back and had to have surgery. While this is all going on, hubby and I both came down with the cold of the century which lasted over 2 weeks. I tried to practice, but it's difficult when I was coughing so hard and long that my eyes were watering and I couldn't see the music. I finally did get some practice in, but now we have to travel again to see my mother-in-law. I'm not sure how long we'll be away. We just need to see her as often as possible right now. My mom's doing OK for the time being. Needless to say, the Nov. recital is out for me. I hoping to be able to record something for the Christmas thread, though. Will keep you posted. Thanks!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1982055 - 11/03/12 04:51 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: CMohr]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: CMohr
Cheryl, I've missed a lot of days. Sept. 29 through Oct.15 we were visiting my mother-in-law and returned home to find out my mom had a major set back and had to have surgery. While this is all going on, hubby and I both came down with the cold of the century which lasted over 2 weeks. I tried to practice, but it's difficult when I was coughing so hard and long that my eyes were watering and I couldn't see the music. I finally did get some practice in, but now we have to travel again to see my mother-in-law. I'm not sure how long we'll be away. We just need to see her as often as possible right now. My mom's doing OK for the time being. Needless to say, the Nov. recital is out for me. I hoping to be able to record something for the Christmas thread, though. Will keep you posted. Thanks!

CMohr, I'm so sorry to hear that both your mom and your mother-in-law have been so unwell. I'm glad your mom is doing ok now and hope that continues to be the case. It sounds like your MIL is in much worse condition, and that has to be very hard to bear.

#1982822 - 11/05/12 12:01 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
raptor Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
I've dropped off for quite a while after coming back from a 5.5 week long Japan trip. I have been excused for that, but for some reason after coming back, I've been feeling unmotivated to practice and it's a struggle to restore my routine of practicing every day.

So far I've had 2 months of on and off practice but not every day. I hope I can get back to the everyday practice because I remember I was looking forward to the practice everyday.

Maybe the reason is because I have forgotten so much after my trip that I struggle more to play the songs I knew and that is unmotivating.

#1982844 - 11/05/12 02:14 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]

Hi Tim, I had a really long break this summer too and it was hard to get back into the swing of things. I didn't have my lessons to help me through some trouble spots and felt totally stalled out - I understand how discouraging it can be to feel you are not only not making progress but maybe even losing ground! Yikes!

I can only encourage you to be patient with yourself - maybe have a look at some pieces at lower levels and have fun playing them and then start working back to those you were playing just before your long break --- look at the weak spots and focus on those, find something small but important to "conquer" and get some inspiration back! Good luck!

#1983612 - 11/07/12 12:34 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
raptor Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Thanks casinitaly! Your encouragement helped me get back onto the piano again and working on those forgotten songs. I'm feeling a bit more confident after a nice session back at the piano.

It's still a challenge to get onto the piano but hopefully after a few more days of practice, the habit will come back and I'll feel incomplete without my daily piano practice. laugh

#1983628 - 11/07/12 02:05 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]

Hey Raptor, I'm so glad I helped! Sometimes all we need is a friendly ear and a gentle nudge eh? I too hope you get to that "I can't have a day without piano!!!" feeling. I don't mean for MOYD purposes,... but for your heart's pleasure!

#1983674 - 11/07/12 06:02 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
Will have to miss Thursday due to all-day business travel. Otherwise on track!

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#1983679 - 11/07/12 06:36 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: ClsscLib]

Originally Posted By: ClsscLib
Will have to miss Thursday due to all-day business travel. Otherwise on track!

Ok! You're on the list for tomorrow, have a safe trip!

#1983941 - 11/07/12 11:01 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
ThePawn Offline

Loc: Alabama
I have missed quite a bit of practice lately and haven't been here to be accountable. I wish to be removed from the MOYD list for this year. The MOYD list starts again on January 1st, correct? If so, I will rejoin at that time. Thanks and good luck to everyone else.

Jason

#1983976 - 11/08/12 02:15 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]

Ok Jason, I'll remove you from the list and will look forward to seeing you again in January!

#1985876 - 11/12/12 08:23 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
CMohr Offline

Cheryl, I'm back (again) from visiting my mother-in-law. I missed Nov. 4-9. The rest of the year is shaping up to be one of lots of travel. And although my mom is doing pretty well, I'm going to be helping her a lot in the next few weeks. Knowing that I am going to be missing many days, I wonder if I should just chuck in MYOD for 2012? Not only am I missing much practice, but I also am having to cancel some of my lessons. So much of my schedule is unknown, I'm not quite sure if it's fair that I continue MYOD this year. (?)

#1985883 - 11/12/12 08:43 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
I've gone off the rails so badly I haven't even been reporting the days I don't practice. My left wrist is injured, and I'm having trouble getting proper treatment for it, and it's left me really discouraged. I'm trying to keep up with playing by learning some songs just in the right hand and playing scales and cadences and such, but it's not keeping me inspired. I think until the wrist problem resolves itself, or I at least get a proper diagnosis, my heart just won't be in it. I guess I should just withdraw from MOYD. It was the right thing when I was healthy and could play with both hands. My teacher really loved that I practiced everyday, if only for a short time, and she insisted she could see the results. But now... it's just making me feel guilty on top of already being depressed about this.

#1985891 - 11/12/12 09:12 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Mary Ann I'm sorry to hear about your injury. (seems we have a wrist injury epidemic on the forum lately!) I hope you can find out what is wrong with it and heal quickly.

CMohr: don't give up now! there's only a month and a half left to go! No one here will hold time gone against you, most certainly not for every thing that is going on in your life. Hang in there! Even a couple days a week is better than none!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1986018 - 11/13/12 06:08 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: CMohr]

Originally Posted By: CMohr
Cheryl, I'm back (again) from visiting my mother-in-law. I missed Nov. 4-9. The rest of the year is shaping up to be one of lots of travel. And although my mom is doing pretty well, I'm going to be helping her a lot in the next few weeks. Knowing that I am going to be missing many days, I wonder if I should just chuck in MYOD for 2012? Not only am I missing much practice, but I also am having to cancel some of my lessons. So much of my schedule is unknown, I'm not quite sure if it's fair that I continue MYOD this year. (?)

CMohr, I'm glad your mom is doing pretty well and that you are able to help her - and I'm sorry that your MIL is still having troubles. From what you've been talking about here, I suspect they are very serious and that there may not be a happy solution.

Not fair to continue MOYD? Not fair to whom? It is YOUR domain, your practice, your achievement.

The purpose of MOYD is personal inspiration. If it helps you to know that you are playing as often as you can when you are able to - then I suggest you stick with it.
I'll mark you as Nov-Dec various days for travel and you can stop reporting in every time you have to be away. Or if you prefer, I don't mind in the least updating you for the specific days. Your call. Let me know what you want to do.

Edited by casinitaly (11/13/12 06:09 AM)
Edit Reason: typos!

#1986021 - 11/13/12 06:19 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: MaryAnn]

Originally Posted By: MaryAnn
I've gone off the rails so badly I haven't even been reporting the days I don't practice. My left wrist is injured, and I'm having trouble getting proper treatment for it, and it's left me really discouraged. I'm trying to keep up with playing by learning some songs just in the right hand and playing scales and cadences and such, but it's not keeping me inspired. I think until the wrist problem resolves itself, or I at least get a proper diagnosis, my heart just won't be in it. I guess I should just withdraw from MOYD. It was the right thing when I was healthy and could play with both hands. My teacher really loved that I practiced everyday, if only for a short time, and she insisted she could see the results. But now... it's just making me feel guilty on top of already being depressed about this.

Hi MaryAnn, I'm so sorry you are still fighting with your injury. I understand how depressing it is... about a year and a half ago I had about 3 months where I was playing a very limited amount of time and minimal amounts with my right hand.

If your lack of playing is making you feel guilty about your MOYD activities maybe it is better to drop it --- MOYD is only worth while when it adds to your pleasure or helps keep you on track.

Given that you can't be on track even if you want to we can look at it 2 ways -- technically you could be excused for being sick - /injured - and we can see if you might be able to pick things up later in December. On the other hand if the result is still that you feel it hanging over your head as a negative factor, then maybe you should just let it go for now.

Do you understand the cause of the injury? Is it from playing the piano or from something else?

Wishing you all the best
Cheryl

#1986192 - 11/13/12 01:47 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
CMohr Offline

Thanks Cheryl! And thanks too, Becca! I guess I've been so frazzled lately, I haven't really thought about there being only a couple months left in the year. crazy I'll stick with it. Hopefully I can squeeze in time whenever I can.

MaryAnn, I'll also add my two cents to your dilemma. Stick with it, even with one hand, all work is good. We are so close to the end of the year. I hope you can get proper treatment and get back to 2-hand practice!

#1986269 - 11/13/12 04:57 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]

Ok CMohr! I'll mark you absent Nov 4-9 and then let me know if you want specific date accountability or "global coverage" of miscellaneous days.
Glad you are staying with us!

#1988715 - 11/19/12 09:27 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
CAS, I will be out-of-town for Thanksgiving weekend, with no piano at hand.

Though I joined MOYD 2012 this spring, I've been tracking my practice for the past year and have hit my own "fiscal" MOYD year!

Thanks for hosting this thread. Every little bit of encouragement helps!

#1988798 - 11/20/12 02:57 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]

Stubbie, congrats on your own MOYD year, good for you!

Have a very happy Thanksgiving weekend!

I'm glad that the little updates I do here help with encouragement - that's the goal! smile

cheers,
Cheryl

#1990248 - 11/24/12 08:48 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: CMohr]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Hello all. I have been away from the piano since October 8 due to a major health crisis. I have MS, and I had a major relapse that resulted in partial paralysis on my right side. I was completely unable to play piano after the relapse. Thankfully, I have now regained full use of my right arm and hand. I was afraid to try to play, but I finally started playing again on November 20. I have lost a lot of ground, but it feels like I will be back to where I was before the relapse in a few weeks. It really feels good to be making music again!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#1990254 - 11/24/12 09:01 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: SwissMS]

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
Hello all. I have been away from the piano since October 8 due to a major health crisis. I have MS, and I had a major relapse that resulted in partial paralysis on my right side. I was completely unable to play piano after the relapse. Thankfully, I have now regained full use of my right arm and hand. I was afraid to try to play, but I finally started playing again on November 20. I have lost a lot of ground, but it feels like I will be back to where I was before the relapse in a few weeks. It really feels good to be making music again!

Oh, wow, that is a major crisis. You must have been worried to bits, on top of feeling so very unwell. I am so very very happy to hear thatyou have regained use of your right hand and arm-- what about your legs? I hope and pray you continue to heal and get stronger - welcome back and enjoy the thrill of making music again!

#1990331 - 11/24/12 01:32 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Hi Cas! My legs are still a bit weak, but it looks like I will make a full recovery. Thanks for your good wishes!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#1990358 - 11/24/12 03:04 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
SwissMS, that had to have been scary! That you are recovering well is great news. Welcome back to piano-land, and enjoy your playing. smile

#1990434 - 11/24/12 06:11 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: SwissMS]

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
Hi Cas! My legs are still a bit weak, but it looks like I will make a full recovery. Thanks for your good wishes!

Ah, that's very good news! Be careful not to over-do things ....take it easy and give yourself time to heal properly!

#1995582 - 12/06/12 05:53 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
venice1 Offline

Hi and happy holiday season! Do we need to sign up for the MYOD 2013 season? Grazie.

#1995820 - 12/07/12 07:53 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]

Hi Venice1 --- Auguir anche a te!

Sign up for MOYD2013 will be in a new thread which I will start up before Jan 1 !

#2002909 - 12/22/12 12:34 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
bump.

Looking forward to 2013!

#2002985 - 12/22/12 07:40 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Cheryl,

l just wanted to say thank you for taking care of the MOYD thread all year. It is a great device for keeping me focused on the importance of every day practice. At the first whiff of laziness my thoughts turn immediately to the unhappy prospect of coming here to fess up. More than once that has resulted in getting my butt to the bench when I might have let a day slip.

So, thanks a bunch. Your work here is appreciated by many.

Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy New Year,

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#2003348 - 12/23/12 04:56 AM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]

Jim, thank you so much for your very kind words and good wishes.Best wishes to you and yours for a lovely Christmas and all the best for the new year!

I love being able to contribute in some way to the community here! It keeps me focused too.

The new thread for 2013 will be opened up on the 29th and I look forward to seeing everyone back for a new year of MOYD.

Merry Christmas to all my MOYD friends - and may 2013 be a wonderful year for all of us!!!

#2003498 - 12/23/12 12:55 PM Re: MOYD 2012 [Re: casinitaly]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Merry Christmas to all of you too! I'll second Jim's thank you. smile This thread has done wonders for me. I went from struggling to practice everyday to increasing my time everyday! It helped to know others were trying to accomplish the same thing with many of the same issues!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
Today at 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
Today at 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
Today at 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
Today at 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Who's Online
120 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, 0987654321, A Guy, 38 invisible), 1518 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76653 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327555 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission