Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1988887 - 11/20/12 10:03 AM Yamaha Avantgrand N2 keyboard problem
diedel Offline

Loc: Spain
Hi all,

I have a Yamaha AvantGrand N2 and recently I've encountered a small problem with the keys. When I press a key softly I notice a slight friction with its neighboring key. This happens to me only with certain keys: middle C, practically all G and G sharp keys. It's hard to explain but this keystroke has to be a little from "side". For example with the left hand I press A-flat with the little finger and next with the thumb I press "sideways" middle C. With the rest of the keys no matter the angle at which press, I do not notice any friction.

I have the piano without the key cover from the first day because was broken and I'm waiting to be replaced. I know it may seem a little extreme but I wonder if the fact of being the keyboard during these two months "unprotected" have caused the keyboard friction issue.

Just before to notice this I was playing since some weeks the Etude Op. 25 No. 12 (Ocean Etude), maybe this explains why the G and G sharp keys are "broken".

When I bought this piano 2 months ago! one of the things I checked was that issue, as I had a similar problem but more exaggerated with the Clavinova CLP-170.

I talked to my seller and is already aware. The truth is I'm a little disappointed because it is assumed that a N2 AvantGrand and Clavinova is not a cheap piano.

I wonder if any of the owners of an AvantGrand has this same problem.

Sorry by my english.

Regards.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1988922 - 11/20/12 11:34 AM Re: Yamaha Avantgrand N2 keyboard problem [Re: diedel]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: diedel
Hi all,

I have a Yamaha AvantGrand N2 and recently I've encountered a small problem with the keys. When I press a key softly I notice a slight friction with its neighboring key. This happens to me only with certain keys: middle C, practically all G and G sharp keys. It's hard to explain but this keystroke has to be a little from "side". For example with the left hand I press A-flat with the little finger and next with the thumb I press "sideways" middle C. With the rest of the keys no matter the angle at which press, I do not notice any friction.

I have the piano without the key cover from the first day because was broken and I'm waiting to be replaced. I know it may seem a little extreme but I wonder if the fact of being the keyboard during these two months "unprotected" have caused the keyboard friction issue.

Just before to notice this I was playing since some weeks the Etude Op. 25 No. 12 (Ocean Etude), maybe this explains why the G and G sharp keys are "broken".

When I bought this piano 2 months ago! one of the things I checked was that issue, as I had a similar problem but more exaggerated with the Clavinova CLP-170.

I talked to my seller and is already aware. The truth is I'm a little disappointed because it is assumed that a N2 AvantGrand and Clavinova is not a cheap piano.

I wonder if any of the owners of an AvantGrand has this same problem.

Sorry by my english.

Regards.

No, definitely not caused by having it uncovered. Your piano is far to young to be affected that way. It sounds like there is a problem with your key bushings or the pins they move on. It can certainly be corrected. You should contact Yamaha and have it serviced by a qualified person. If your piano is still under warranty, they will fix it for you. Even if it isn't, they might still offer to repair it for you for free because this is not something that should happen on such a young instrument.

#1988998 - 11/20/12 03:47 PM Re: Yamaha Avantgrand N2 keyboard problem [Re: diedel]
Luthrin Offline

Loc: UK
I've had a problem like this on my N3 from new, but only on a single key – the A-flat above middle C.

I should have had it fixed under warranty, but it's never bothered me too much as it doesn't seem to affect the mechanical action and most of the time I'm not aware of it. However when playing very soft passages or when the piano's volume is turned down it does create an audible rubbing sound which I must admit is a little distracting.

I bought the instrument over two years ago, but I was given an extended warranty by the dealer. Now that you've reminded me I think I'll give them a call.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (36251, A Guy, 88 Fingers Jeff, 43 invisible), 1808 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156101 Topics
2292292 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
In need for that screaming, dirty, funky, rhodes sound
by Thomas B
07/23/14 03:36 PM
Godowsky - Prelude and Fugue for left hand alone
by Polyphonist
07/23/14 02:50 PM
piano player wanted...
by David Farley
07/23/14 02:38 PM
Wurlitzer electric piano sound
by 88 Fingers Jeff
07/23/14 01:24 PM
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
by Piano World
07/23/14 01:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission